Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 2nd February 2015, 11:06   #196
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Scoop - Fiat Punto Evo T-Jet coming up!

Oh , that is news to me , i was not aware that there was a difference in rations in the new Linea , i am aware hands on that the overall power delivery is more linear but not as a result of the ratios being tweaked. I dont think this information is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
I completely agree about your observation regarding Tjet's gearshifter. Now, with a slightly better gearbox, much improved gear ratios (as reported by Linea Tjet owners here)

Last edited by puchoo : 2nd February 2015 at 11:26.
Old 2nd February 2015, 11:15   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
Oh , that is news to me , i was not aware that there was a difference in rations in the new Linea , i am aware hands on that the overall power delivery is more linear but not as a result of the ratios being tweaked.
I believe the earlier info is wrong. There is no change in gear ratios for the new Linea.
Old 2nd February 2015, 12:57   #198
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
Oh , that is news to me , i was not aware that there was a difference in rations in the new Linea , i am aware hands on that the overall power delivery is more linear but not as a result of the ratios being tweaked. I dont think this information is correct.
There are no changes in the gear ratios. Only gear cables design is slightly different to aid better shifts. This is what I could gather from the service advisor. However, the engine tune is more linear in the facelift as compared to the 2010/2011 batch of Tjets. This could be due to emissions.
Old 2nd February 2015, 13:13   #199
Senior - BHPian

Yes , correct , that was my understanding as well and i believe or atleast have been told that to some degree the other contributing factor the more liner delivery was a slight reduction in fuel consumption thus improving the fuel economy a bit , not sure if this is correct and honestly how much the economy would get improved through a tweak like this but maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
There are no changes in the gear ratios. Only gear cables design is slightly different to aid better shifts. This is what I could gather from the service advisor. However, the engine tune is more linear in the facelift as compared to the 2010/2011 batch of Tjets. This could be due to emissions.
Old 2nd February 2015, 23:02   #200
BHPian

Found this interesting video on Youtube.
Was blown away by the lap time sheet which is shown towards the end of the video!

adneo is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2015, 08:22   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adneo View Post
Was blown away by the lap time sheet which is shown towards the end of the video!
I want those alloys. It looks like Brazil is a big market for FIAT. Their website is stunning with a variety of FIATs.
Old 3rd February 2015, 08:35   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav11stars View Post
I want those alloys. It looks like Brazil is a big market for FIAT. Their website is stunning with a variety of FIATs.
AFAIK, first mover advantage in the BRIC nations has played an important role in this:
Brazil -> Fiat
India -> Suzuki
China -> Volkswagen
carZest is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2015, 13:28   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
A few years ago, I got to drive the much hyped Swift Diesel. This was the pre face lift model, the one that had the nice turbo whack. I could not believe I was driving a 75bhp car. The spread of power, quick gearshift action, short throw clutch, all of this contributed to a really quick car to the extent that I felt that my Jet was slower. It was a joy to use the Suzuki gearbox.
That's the disadvantage in a Fiat Linea or Punto - you don't get to feel the speed.

I don't know if its just insulation or something to do with build quality, but even at good speeds I still feel I am driving at sedate speeds in my Linea.

Comparing a Suzuki hatch with a Fiat sedan is unfair though.

You chose a T-Jet despite several cars available in the market with nicer gearboxes, so I believe there is something in this car that made you overlook the other options
Old 3rd February 2015, 13:55   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
Comparing a Suzuki hatch with a Fiat sedan is unfair though.
Yes but its not very different with a Punto Sport too. Fiat's hatch is slower off the mark to a car that is down on power by 15 horses. Its not just the tune causing the problem, its the gearbox, the weight that is slowing things down too. The driver has to work harder on a Punto/Linea is what I am trying to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
You chose a T-Jet despite several cars available in the market with nicer gearboxes, so I believe there is something in this car that made you overlook the other options
I agree. 3 years ago, all I could get was a Vento or a Rapid and those cars did not have the kit Fiat offered. Kit was secondary. The drive made all the difference on the Linea T Jet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adneo View Post
That is the awesome Punto Black Motion in action. Available only in Brazil.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 3rd February 2015 at 14:02.
Old 3rd February 2015, 15:36   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Yes but its not very different with a Punto Sport too. Fiat's hatch is slower off the mark to a car that is down on power by 15 horses. Its not just the tune causing the problem, its the gearbox, the weight that is slowing things down too. The driver has to work harder on a Punto/Linea is what I am trying to say.
The gear-box in Linea T-jet is different from the one in Linea MJD. I am sure people that have driven both will agree that T-jet's gearbox isn't as bad as it has been projected in this and some other threads. So, Punto in its T-jet avatar might not be as slouch as it is in the MJD avatar.

If the T-jet is slow off the block, it makes up for it by in-gear acceleration. The tall but extremely agile third gear can surprise cars from the segment above it. I have seen my friends getting surprised by the acceleration in third gear from ~30 to ~100 before one realises or recovers from being pushed back in the seat.

Here's a report from ACI that seconds my observation on in-gear acceleration. Despite being the heaviest and on the widest tyres (except SX4), Linea T-jet's figures are astounding.

Name:  Fullscreen capture 232015 32945 PM.bmp.jpg
Views: 2709
Size:  248.7 KB
Biraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2015, 16:40   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
So, Punto in its T-jet avatar might not be as slouch as it is in the MJD avatar.
It is definitely going to be a riot. I don't find the shift action up to the mark. It is far from being a very good gearbox. I find it imprecise at times and the throw is long.

Quote:
If the T-jet is slow off the block, it makes up for it by in-gear acceleration.
It is not slow off the block for sure. It can be quicker though. Throw in a short travel clutch, better gearbox and like I said earlier, I am sure the car can be a full second quicker.

Quote:
I have seen my friends getting surprised by the acceleration in third gear from ~30 to ~100 before one realises or recovers from being pushed back in the seat.
You see, I find this part a bit of a yawn until the power actually builds up. No getting past turbo lag here. Yes; once the turbo spools up, its fast.

Quote:
Despite being the heaviest and on the widest tyres (except SX4), Linea T-jet's figures are astounding.
You have to hand it to the Honda for being nearly as quick though for a NA engine. I am comparing it to the diesel club too. You can't ignore the diesel club today. Crazy fast and efficient at the same time.

Fiat are making mistakes even in the upper segment. They slap an AMT box on a Abarth spec 595 Competizione. How could they do this. Result : The car is just a shade quicker than our Linea's and that is with 158bhp and 230nm on tap. Why is it slow? You got the geargox wrong again Fiat.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 3rd February 2015 at 16:44.
Old 3rd February 2015, 16:46   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here's a report from ACI that seconds my observation on in-gear acceleration.
Quote:
You have to hand it to the Honda for being nearly as quick though for a NA engine.
^ I have to agree to this, that was the one thing that caught my eye. That Honda is blazingly quick in a straight line, and hits higher speeds very fast. The Honda iVTEC engine has an extra 129cc, loses a turbocharger, and utterly trumps the other cars once it crosses 60 km/h.
Old 3rd February 2015, 17:12   #208
BHPian

Isn't it also the lightest?

Edit: The gearbox in my swift was fun but on the tjet :(

But then on highways that is a joy to drive Wish it could have had one more gear though

Last edited by deathwalkr : 3rd February 2015 at 17:14.
deathwalkr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2015, 23:33   #209
BHPian

I certainly think this will definitely be priced lesser than the VW GT-TSI if it were to be launched n the Indian market, it will be made available in a manual gearbox which would be a boon for the Enthusiasts taking into consideration the ability of the T-jet!
But, the fit and finish of the punto needs to be improved if it is really going to take on the GT.
Old 14th February 2015, 15:14   #210
BHPian

Default Early Confirmation: The Punto T-Jet is coming!

Breaking News!!!

Fellow BHP'ians, I report from Europe. Here is some Good News and Bad News.

Minutes ago, during my layover at an airport, I met an engineer from Fiat India. Needless to say, we got talking.

I mentioned to him that there are RUMORS that the Punto T-Jet will be launched. He replied "Its not a rumour. The Punto T-Jet will be launched" . I asked "when?". And now for the bad news.

Apparently the product is undergoing certification and can be launched only later this year.
iceman7 is offline   (15) Thanks
Closed Thread