Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 23rd January 2015, 11:38   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Scoop - Fiat Punto Evo T-Jet coming up!

As a Linea T-Jet owner, I am really happy with this scoop. Punto Evo T-Jet will be good fun. I drove Polo GT TDi and I really loved it too. Looks like hot hatches are coming back. How many will buy them is a big question though, but, it is good to see manufacturers introducing hot hatches.
deepakhon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2015, 11:41   #17
BHPian

Amazing move, this shall surely bring incremental sales volumes to Fiat.But i would also like Fiat to invest some more money and bring in couple of other Engine options like the Twin Air and the 1.6MJD from their international line up.
Visran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2015, 11:44   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Linea Tjet Emotion is priced at 9.02L ex-showroom.
Punto Evo 1.4 Fire Emotion is priced at 6.71L ex-showroom.

Assuming the Evo will get TJet engine option only on the top of the line Emotion variant I'm guessing the TJet should be priced between 7L to 7.25L ex-showroom? I believe GT TSi is around 8.2L ex-showroom.
Since it is 1.4 engine, it will attract higher excise duty. May be 1.2 Multiair and twinair will be the need of the hour. However it may be too much to expect from FIAT. .

Last edited by DragonHawk : 23rd January 2015 at 11:51. Reason: Removed extra space.
Old 23rd January 2015, 12:04   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
Since it is 1.4 engine, it will attract higher excise duty.
Sure, but the current Emotion 1.4 will get the same duty. And that 1.4 petrol FIRE emotion variant is priced at 6.71L with the higher duty. Government doesn't care about the added performance.

Now a 7L - 7.25L price tag sounds right? Even thats on the higher side consider the 1.2 Dynamic is 5.12L ex-showroom.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 23rd January 2015 at 12:06.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2015, 12:15   #20
BHPian

With this, its time for FIAT to play "TOM SAWYER". If you want, come & buy a classy car or live the rest of your life with a mediocre one.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd January 2015 at 17:06. Reason: Typos
sanjaymugur is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 23rd January 2015, 12:23   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Now we will see how the 'Hot Hatch Starved' population jump up and down on seeing this and then go buy an i20 Elite.
I would gladly place a wager that there'll be more posters on these threads and on facebook than there'll be buyers. Its an excellent idea but I doubt it'll sell much more than the double digit (or low triple digit) Tjet sales per month.

This reminds me of the kinda discussions that bikers would have on the motorcycling forums a decade back about Yamaha. They'd rave endlessly about Yamaha needing to launch Superbikes (like R1/R6) in India, when in the end it was the practical FZ that really rolled in the numbers and the profitability! Hardly any of those posters ultimately bought a SBK (unless you count a Ninja in that).
phamilyman is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2015, 12:28   #22
Senior - BHPian

It is a good move , late but definitely a good move and while it does get the buzz going is it going to be enough for fiat to tackle the inertia that people have when it comes to purchasing their brand - existing owners might definitely be looking at grabbing these as second cars or replacing them , i for example would be looking at these 2 when it comes to replacing my fabia for example , but existing ownership small , new owners needed, lets see.

And ofcourse we need to wait for the pricing as well , if they screw that up then another disaster in the making.
Old 23rd January 2015, 12:28   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Sure, but the current Emotion 1.4 will get the same duty. And that 1.4 petrol FIRE emotion variant is priced at 6.71L with the higher duty. Government doesn't care about the added performance.

Now a 7L - 7.25L price tag sounds right? Even thats on the higher side consider the 1.2 Dynamic is 5.12L ex-showroom.
You caught me here .

As with all Fiats, even if they price it just around 7L I don't think common joe will be caring much about it. As an example, just a glance on sales of the Linea TJet right from the date it got launched will tell us how aam aadmi has welcomed it. But for an enthusiast like us, it will be one of the cars you wish to see in your garage.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd January 2015 at 15:34. Reason: Typo
DragonHawk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2015, 12:34   #24
Senior - BHPian

Talking re: Scoop - Fiat Punto Evo T-Jet coming up!

After a long time some breathtaking news from FIAT India.

I was inclined towards Fiesta, but back in mind I am a Hatchback wannabe. I saw Fiesta Hatch in Dubai last November and was . Could have been in my garage already if Ford had launched it here.

Meanwhile I had emailed FIAT India many a times in last 4 years for T-Jet Punto launch.

Now this news is a music to my ear. My Next car is fixed if FIAT launch this.

Hope they will differentiate T-Jet EVO with another set of drool worthy Alloys (not mandatory) and carry forward EVO Sports all-black interior theme.

Anyway kudos to FIAT India this time around.

Cheers!

Vinu
myavu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2015, 12:35   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Might be an irrelevant detail, but why does the test car in the scoop have permanent registration plates? The (mildly) cynical side of me thinks it may be a practical joke, someone taking the mickey out of the 'up & down jumping, i20 Elite buying' pseudo-enthusiasts.

Has there been an official confirmation from FIAT, or any news for that matter?
Chetan_Rao is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2015, 12:39   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Might be an irrelevant detail, but why does the test car in the scoop have permanent registration plates? The (mildly) cynical side of me thinks it may be a practical joke, someone taking the mickey out of the 'up & down jumping, i20 Elite buying' pseudo-enthusiasts.

Have heard from one of my friends that the car has done Pune-Chennai run recently. So dont worry, it is indeed the TJet and not a PS job.
neoonwheels is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2015, 12:43   #27
Senior - BHPian

Considering that the car in the photo is registered and not on TC plates, are we even sure that this isn't a case of an enthusiast sourcing the T-Jet logo from somewhere and sticking it on his car?

If the car is registered, then there must be information already present with RTOs in MH about this new variant of the Punto. Has Fiat already homologated this engine for the Punto?

I also tend to agree with those who say that this hatch will stay hot just on paper and not the sales charts. Once this is launched, I expect to hear comments about how lack of AT is preventing Fiat from realizing T-Jet Punto's full sales potential. Then there is always the "poor A.S.S" reason.

EDIT: When the T-Jet Punto is launched, I hope Fiat will launch it in multiple trims and not restrict it just to the top-end. If the T-Jet Punto Emotion is priced at 7 or 7.25L, it may be difficult to get buyers to the showroom floors. Launching a lower priced variant and then pushing potential customers towards higher variants once they are in the showroom and hooked is easier.

Last edited by StarrySky : 23rd January 2015 at 12:48.
StarrySky is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2015, 12:44   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Considering that the car in the photo is registered and not on TC plates, are we even sure that this isn't a case of an enthusiast sourcing the T-Jet logo from somewhere and sticking it on his car?

The cars that came for Avventura pre-launch media release was also MH-14 registered. And I dont think Autocar would kill their reputation with such a 'joke'.

EDIT:

I swallow my words. Its a PS job from AutocarIndia. Thread should be renamed as 'rumour' and not 'scoop'.

Original picture lifted from their Evo review -

Name:  0_468_700_http172.17.115.18082ExtraImages20140724090454_punto3.jpg
Views: 3794
Size:  51.2 KB

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-rev...ve-389460.aspx

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 23rd January 2015 at 12:54.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2015, 12:49   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The cars that came for Avventura pre-launch media release was also MH-14 registered. And I dont think Autocar would kill their reputation with such a 'joke'.
But those were based on existing models. Do FIAT need to register this as a new model with the RTOs, or can they skip that since they're already selling another engine with the same displacement (1.4 Safire), and the same engine on another car (Linea)?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 23rd January 2015 at 12:50.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2015, 12:57   #30
BHPian

I for one can guarantee that I'm not a part of the "'Hot Hatch Starved' population jump up and down on seeing this and then go buy an i20 Elite" group

If Fiat manages to keep it under 9L OTR Bengaluru and if I'm able to arrange the required finances(quite a stretch, but worth it considering even an Alto K10 costs 4.8L these days), I will not look at anything other than this.

I am a Petrol guy and don't like or need a Diesel considering my running.

Among the anaemic and uninspiring Petrols in our market, only Swift, Brio and Grand stand out (Don't know if TRD is still available)

But I will not look at the compromised cans sold by Hyundai/Maruti/Honda. So Swift/Grand/Brio are out of the way. If I go and buy them, it means that I'm supporting their policies and persons like Bhargava and that I'm a hypocrite.

The considerably well built cars like Figo, Bolt and Punto have horrid Petrols which made me start to look at Diesels which can at least be tuned for performance bump.

I was waiting for Bolt Diesel hoping it to be a VFM car, but Tata made me say TATA to the Bolt yesterday with the pricing which made me start looking back at the Ford Classic and that was the time when I read Volkman's post about the Punto T-Jet and I was smiling all night till I fell asleep.

Hope I will be able to keep up my word and not become a laughing stock on Team-BHP
theredliner is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread