Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 23rd January 2015, 08:43   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default Scoop - Fiat Punto Evo T-Jet coming up!

Brace yourselves BHPians, looks like Fiat has finally found an answer to the GT TSI and the much starved hot-hatch market. Autocar India has spotted the Evo with a T-Jet moniker on the front grill:

Name:  Evo TJet.jpg
Views: 28268
Size:  40.4 KB

The Evo will get the Linea’s existing 1.4L turbocharged petrol engine that puts out 113 bhp, mated to a manual gearbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocar
Fiat will launch powerful versions of the Punto Evo and Avventura in the first half of this year.

With the T-jet engines, the Punto Evo will be the most powerful car in its segment, and will directly compete with the Volkswagen Polo GT TSI, though both cars offer very different mechanical packages.

We expect the Punto Evo T-jet to cost around Rs 7 lakh and the Avventura T-jet to be priced at around Rs 8 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi). When launched, the Punto Evo will be the most powerful hatchback under the Rs 10 lakh mark. With a manual gearbox and over 110bhp on tap, we can’t wait to get our hands on it.
Autocar
Gannu_1 is offline   (55) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2015, 09:11   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Scoop! Punto Evo T-Jet!

With an additional 8bhp + 32Nm torque + manual transmission + hydraulic steering = Quite a fitting reply to the GT TSi indeed! And it comes at a time when petrol prices have gone down a bit as well. Not to mention - it would be priced a lot lesser as well, considering the Linea TJet pricing.

But as with all things FIAT- let's wait for it to get launched first, before celebrating.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 23rd January 2015 at 09:23.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2015, 09:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Scoop - Fiat Punto Evo T-Jet coming up!

Now we will see how the 'Hot Hatch Starved' population jump up and down on seeing this and then go buy an i20 Elite.
avishar is offline   (135) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2015, 09:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post

Now we will see how the 'Hot Hatch Starved' population jump up and down on seeing this and then go buy an i20 Elite.
I went as soon as I read your post avishar !!

If I may, "population jump up and down on seeing this and then go buy an i20 Elite or Swift".

I think Fiat MUST get the pricing right, if they do launch this Evo T-Jet. With the Petrol (as fuel) being more sensible now, I have a feeling Fiat will finally have some place on the podium with this launch.
Old 23rd January 2015, 09:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

The Avvy was bound to get the T-Jet. Fiat reserved the Emotion variant for the engine. Not sure how much of a dent this move can make in terms of sales, but enthusiasts will definitely have something to rejoice about. Now they just need to do something about that rubbery gear and maybe bring in the 1.6 MJD.

Last edited by Tushar : 23rd January 2015 at 10:01. Reason: Adding points
Tushar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2015, 10:02   #6
BHPian

Superb news indeed! Had waited for this car since I read the review of the Linea T-Jet. Finally, we are getting an alternative to the GT TSI. For manual tranny lovers, a very satisfying news. The Punto Evo had always impressed us with its dynamics, and now we get power to match that superb handling too.
Finally, a successor of the Palio 1.6?

Last edited by petrolhead_neel : 23rd January 2015 at 10:09.
petrolhead_neel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2015, 10:13   #7
BHPian

I have been keeping my fingers crossed on this. While this indeed is a happy news but happiness can only turn into celebration once it's launched.

This is a fast growing segment which is currently ruled by one and the only Polo GT TSI (If i can say that). Let's see how Fiat handles this.

I might have to put my purchase plans on hold for this. Fiat please don't disappoint us again stating a silly reason and postponing the launch.
Old 23rd January 2015, 10:14   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
I think Fiat MUST get the pricing right, if they do launch this Evo T-Jet.
Linea Tjet Emotion is priced at 9.02L ex-showroom.
Punto Evo 1.4 Fire Emotion is priced at 6.71L ex-showroom.

Assuming the Evo will get TJet engine option only on the top of the line Emotion variant I'm guessing the TJet should be priced between 7L to 7.25L ex-showroom? I believe GT TSi is around 8.2L ex-showroom.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2015, 11:00   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Assuming the Evo will get TJet engine option only on the top of the line Emotion variant I'm guessing the TJet should be priced between 7L to 7.25L ex-showroom? I believe GT TSi is around 8.2L ex-showroom.
7-7.25 will put it in the range of 90HP Sport and Swift ZDI, which will be a mouth watering price

Last edited by theredliner : 23rd January 2015 at 11:07.
Old 23rd January 2015, 11:07   #10
BHPian

Evo T-jet is already been spotted, wonder why it should take 6 months to launch as mentioned by Autocar to be 1st half of 2015.
Old 23rd January 2015, 11:21   #11
BHPian

This gives me a heart-burn. Damn you FIAT
I always wanted the Linea T-Jet but lugging a boot in a congested city like Bangalore didn't make sense.
Wondering what do I do with my year old Punto Sport with barely 6k on the odo. Sell it for the Punto Tjet &
get disowned by my family.
tabrez is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2015, 11:26   #12
BHPian

Good news indeed! Finally we 'hot hatch' enthusiasts get some more ammunition. The GT Tsi now has a rival. I hardly think it will turn the fortunes around for FIAT when it comes to selling cars, but I think all enthusiasts would welcome a good machine. Let's hope Fiat can improve their service too. With the Avventura tailgates getting stuck, it doesn't look promising. But well all Fiat enthusiast's have always clung on to 'hope'
At last a worthy successor from Fiat's stable to my 1.6
Samar117 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2015, 11:27   #13
Senior - BHPian

While this is good move, one must know the T Jet that we get is a outdated engine in the Fiat power train portfolio. I also feel that a fast Fiat should be offered in diesel too cause we love economy and a T Jet isn't that. The Multijet II, TwinAir series is long over due for the line up.

Anyway, I do hope this move brings about some renewed interest in Fiat cars.
sandeepmohan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2015, 11:35   #14
BHPian

Quote:

Seriously speaking I'd really like to see a Punto T-Jet. Infact a few days back I was talking with another Bhpian over phone and he was telling how if Punto T-Jet if produced will see quite a few takers of the vehicle. Infact I had told that if I were in the market to buy a new car would be glad if Punto T-Jet arrives. I hope Fiat takes this one launch seriously given that they've only given us glimpses of it's portfolio with no concrete launches done till date except maybe the Avventura. Avishar da wish someone at Fiat sees these posts and responds with a quick launch. I for one don't fall into the Elite i20 category. I'm a Ford and Fiat Fanatic though drive a Maruti.

Last edited by tacho9000 : 23rd January 2015 at 11:37.
Old 23rd January 2015, 11:36   #15
BHPian

Fiat missed the bus by not launching the T jet option with the Avvy. Anyways its better late than never. Now thats a replacement for the 1.6 palio after a long wait. Good news for performance enthusiasts
Closed Thread