Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 4th February 2016, 10:54   #61
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Chevrolet Spin MPV caught testing in Gujarat. EDIT: Will NOT be launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
This car looks like a generation old already! I never thought it looked this ugly. Guess the pictures shared were not the same as this version.

I can safely say the fate of this car is already decided.
Being in the clinical research industry for almost 2 decades, i know for a fact that a Strong Research Pipeline (in various therapeutic segments) decides the future of a pharma company.

The same applies for the Automobile Industry as well.I am still not sure if GM India is aware of such fundamentals.Second question arises on their take on Indian market.What are they trying to prove by launching such outdated products.?Our home grown company like Mahindra offers products which are more refined and great looking.

Waseem.....
SILVERWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2016, 22:19   #62
BHPian

Default re: Chevrolet Spin MPV caught testing in Gujarat. EDIT: Will NOT be launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
This car looks like a generation old already! I never thought it looked this ugly. Guess the pictures shared were not the same as this version.

I can safely say the fate of this car is already decided.
Looks no better or worse than the Ertiga, If priced well could have decent sales with the taxi operators who want to move away from the aging Tavera. I say this as I have seen many Spins in my company taxi park and one of the drivers who drives it says the Spin is frugal and cheap to maintain but too small.
SPARKled is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2016, 22:48   #63
BHPian

Design looks quite fine to me!

I find this tendency among some people to not find decent stuff from some brands acceptable. Whereas if brands like Maruti use similar steering wheels from Celerio to Vitara Brezza, its less criticised. NOT blaming anyone, just stating effects of certain brands.

Now, coming back to topic, IMO if the Chevrolet Spin undercuts Ertiga by atleast 1.5Lakhs + (i.e. 15-20%), I don't see any great reason for it to stand ground. Maruti, as a company & brand, has SO many advantages over Chevrolet (like service centers - in both ; number as well as quality, reliability, resale value etc).

Not to be spiteful to the brand / company but they DO have a product like the 1st generation Ertiga. People like me don't mind, but the young crowd these days differentiate even the small stuff.

Moreover, over the years, Maruti would've surely tightened nuts & bolts (like, now they've made the 3rd row split). Then comes availability of compatible accessories & spares etc.

So, unless theres the difference as large as I pointed out, IMO, it might not be worth missing the Ertiga Brand-wagon!
WorkingGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2016, 06:54   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Is this going to be replacing the Enjoy? Or directed more at Innova?
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2016, 07:05   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
This sounds logical since it is based on the GM Gamma II platform which is same as the SAIL.
Gamma2 is Aveo/sonic/trax platform. Sail is an independent s2 platform. If spin is gamma2 platform, expecting some high tech gizmo features in nav/music/infotainment areas.
anu21v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2016, 13:23   #66
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

Chevrolet should load up the Spin with additional useful features & tech gizmos (electrically retractable mirrors, reverse camera, LED DRLs, split-folding last row seats, climate control, touchscreen SAT-NAV system etc.) and position it as a compact & clever family MPV.

As for the Enjoy, it can be re-positioned as a "taxi special". There are plenty of yellow-board Enjoys running around in Chennai. This MPV is surprisingly comfortable and spacious for its size. Fleet buyers who swear by the Tavera regard the Enjoy as a more compact & affordable 7-seater from Chevrolet and hence it's quite popular with them.

Chevy must take a two-pronged approach by targeting private buyers with the Spin and fleet buyers with the Enjoy.

Last edited by RSR : 5th February 2016 at 13:26.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2016, 16:23   #67
BHPian

Latest pics.
Chevrolet Spin caught testing!
Source: Powerdrift (Facebook page).
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Spin MPV caught testing in Gujarat. EDIT: Will NOT be launched-fb_img_1459160817049.jpg  

Chevrolet Spin MPV caught testing in Gujarat. EDIT: Will NOT be launched-fb_img_1459160843852.jpg  

Tojo_GotBhp is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2016, 17:27   #68
Senior - BHPian

Those pictures are clicked near GM showroom (Kropex) on Hosur road. May be it went there for service.
Latheesh is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2016, 23:10   #69
RWD
BHPian

Caught Chevrolet Spin testing on Mumbai-Pune Expressway in mid-April. Only got around to posting the images now.
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Spin MPV caught testing in Gujarat. EDIT: Will NOT be launched-chevy01.jpg  

Chevrolet Spin MPV caught testing in Gujarat. EDIT: Will NOT be launched-chevy02.jpg  

RWD is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2016, 17:45   #70
BHPian

I guess GM still thinks that India is a land of snake charmers and bullock carts - and is hence launching such ancient looking vehicles here!
It's about time they make some drastic changes to their line-up here else they'll be reduced to obscurity.
nishantbhatia84 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2016, 13:41   #71
GTO
Team-BHP Support

This is what I'd earlier said about the Spin:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
GM is going to need a solid differentiator to get the attention of the buying public. Based on what I've read from international reviews, there appears to be none. This product has a very high chance of sinking without a trace
Now, GM says:

Quote:
General Motors will not proceed with the Chevrolet Spin MPV in India in 2017. Instead, it will continue to listen to its customers and shift its focus to growing segments, including SUVs....We have a strong plan to launch at least five new Chevrolet models within the space of 24 months, including the new Trailblazer, new Beat, Essentia, new Cruze and Beat Activ.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2016, 13:58   #72
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Chevrolet Spin MPV caught testing in Gujarat. EDIT: Will NOT be launched

Trailblazer - No hope on this - Endy is already here and New Fortuner is on it's way to India
new Beat - Market have many other options in this segmant
Essentia - Hyundai and Honda sells less than 5K and competent cars like Aspire and Zest manage to sell 1-2 K per month. Chevy want to join the party and expect to sell few thousands by bringing a car like Essentia? God bless them!
new Cruze - Gone are the good days for Cruze brand
Beat Activ- Nothing exciting, please join Etios Cross and Cross Polo and relax at company stockyard.

Chevy's current dealers are moving to other brands, and many others already closed down. How are they going to sell?

Last edited by Latheesh : 14th June 2016 at 14:05.
Latheesh is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2016, 15:37   #73
BHPian

Default Re: Chevrolet Spin MPV caught testing in Gujarat. EDIT: Will NOT be launched

Now, GM says:[/quote]

What about the Adra?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...po-2014-a.html (Chevrolet Adra Concept teased - Launch at Auto Expo 2014)

Showcased at 2014 auto-expo, have they shelved this already?
400notout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2016, 16:21   #74
Senior - BHPian

Only if they would have launched the Spin and killed the Enjoy, their fortunes "might" have changed. Now, I have given up on the brand and expect no mercy for them. over 20 years in the country and they still haven't understood the Indian Customer?

Now, I am thinking only if GM would have closed down, during the Meltdown.
amtak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2016, 10:06   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

I liked what I saw in the Chevy Spin - big street presence, spacious interiors, excellent layout. The only downsides were the dashboard and plain all-round looks. But then, the MPV segment doesn't boast of too many lookers. All of them come across as big, practical 7-seaters.

There is a big gap in the MPV space between the Ertiga and the Innova - Chevy could have filled this gap nicely with the Spin by adding a bunch of novel features, upmarket interiors, and marketed it as a practical option. I for one feel they had a great chance with the Spin, but now they have blown it.

Given a choice between the Beat Activ/Essentia and the Spin, I would have gone for the latter.

Opportunity missed, Chevy.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote