Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 3rd February 2015, 17:47   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Fiat Linea with partial camo spotted - 1.5L diesel being tested?

FIAT is like the Indian cricket team. Great players, fantastic record but poor current performance. They slip into a slumber, make half hearted attempts to upgrade their cars and then expect to set the sales charts on fire.
What can be more damning than the established fact that Maruti Suzuki tunes the 1.3 MJD better than the Italians.
The Linea was let down by a sluggish engine. If FIAT hopes to sell more, they need to lighten their cars, stop using cheap quality plastics and break their image by bringing a light and ultra reliable car.
fiestarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2015, 19:35   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
A Turkish built (quite likely!) Linea is doing the rounds in Pune as a test mule.
I believe Turkey have Left Hand Drive cars normally. Or did they manufacture one RHD for India testing?
thoma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2015, 21:30   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I believe Turkey have Left Hand Drive cars normally. Or did they manufacture one RHD for India testing?
In all probability- Indian testing. RHD Kits are sent from Turkey as it, for the regular Linea- I'll guess. Again- This is pure speculation.

I've given up the Linea is a basket case. Underpowered engine, exotic numbers (pun intended! The car sells as much as an exotic! ) - What not could a person possibly ask? What is the use of an underpowered car- that can handle beautifully? None- right?

In all probability, the next car with us will be the Rapid. Damn the Skoda ASC. It does all things right- and the torque is just perfect. Skoda's brand image is superior, vis a vis FIAT. The positives outweigh the negatives, thankfully, unlike the Linea. I don't fancy getting stuck on a Western Ghat hill road- Thank you very much. Atleast the VW/Skoda- feels balanced.
FINTAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2015, 04:54   #19
Senior - BHPian

Hope this news of a 1.5 MJD is true, want to exchange our old Linea and would be great to swap with the new 1.5 Linea, this chassis definitely deserves more power.

Quote:
It does all things right- and the torque is just perfect. Skoda's brand image is superior, vis a vis FIAT. The positives outweigh the negatives, thankfully, unlike the Linea. I don't fancy getting stuck on a Western Ghat hill road- Thank you very much. Atleast the VW/Skoda- feels balanced.
You wont get stuck on western ghats due to low power but definitely get stuck due to failed injectors on VW 1.6 TDi or maybe the new 1.5 TDi.
I have both the cars, a 2009 Linea done 60k and a 2012 Vento done 34k and the VW has had so many part failures that am already irritated to the core. The Linea had small niggling issues but in VW, brake discs are failing, engine mounts are failing, struts have already been replaced all at my cost and now the company knows their injectors are faulty but shameless enough to call me and say they will only change it once i get stranded/car breaks down. On the other side, poor Fiat has been bullet proof with just a clutch change at 50k kms.

I was very cool like you when i bought Vento and said i will manage with their service but believe me their after sales support is hopeless. If you are lucky and your car remains good, you will be fine but if some issue crops up then forget any support at all from dealer or company, VW/Skoda provide lowest warranty on brakes and suspension in the whole segment just to give you a reality check.
coolboy007 is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2015, 17:59   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestarry View Post
FIAT is like the Indian cricket team. Great players, fantastic record but poor current performance. They slip into a slumber, make half hearted attempts to upgrade their cars and then expect to set the sales charts on fire.
What can be more damning than the established fact that Maruti Suzuki tunes the 1.3 MJD better than the Italians.
The Linea was let down by a sluggish engine. If FIAT hopes to sell more, they need to lighten their cars, stop using cheap quality plastics and break their image by bringing a light and ultra reliable car.
Have you driven Fiat Linea on Highways ..? Its not sluggish and tell me how many times you drive fast, new Linea is much better tuned car hardly feels sluggish and take her to highways the mid range is best.I do agree the 1.5/1.6 engine is more needed for this car than 1.3.
Cheap quality plastic..? Go and see new Linea nothing wrong in the Car, I ahve a Punto done more than 80k kms no issues with plastic or any other parts of the car, the car is trouble free reliable and very easy on Pocket to Maintain.
Do you own a Fiat.?
parimal_g is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2015, 18:09   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parimal_g View Post
Have you driven Fiat Linea on Highways ..? Its not sluggish and tell me how many times you drive fast, new Linea is much better tuned car hardly feels sluggish and take her to highways the mid range is best.I do agree the 1.5/1.6 engine is more needed for this car than 1.3.
Cheap quality plastic..? Go and see new Linea nothing wrong in the Car, I ahve a Punto done more than 80k kms no issues with plastic or any other parts of the car, the car is trouble free reliable and very easy on Pocket to Maintain.
Do you own a Fiat.?
Parimal-G, facts are always the enemy of the truth. The linea diesel is, at the end of the day, an 8 year old product powered by an equally underpowered multijet. And Fiat lost an opportunity by not providing better bigger engine and gear ratios. Accept the fact, its just has a decent mid range, and its sluggish to the core. If the competitors can rake in sales by giving bigger and better tuned engines why can't Fiat?
Drive the Ciaz diesel. Granted its ultra light, but it ain't underpowerered.
sidindica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2015, 18:19   #22
BHPian

My first car is a Fiat Grande Punto 1.3MJD Active. 4years and 69000kms and I'm all smiles. Every single moment i have spent on the wheel, its been an absolute pleasure.

Talking about reliability, the car is so reliable that I can just tank up and drive out for 1000kms+ trips. Done it multiple times. The last time i did was in December'14.

Until the night of 24th December, we were still speculating if we would be doing the trip or not (family reasons). Next day morning everybody in the car, only thing done was tank up. That's it. And where did we head to? Bangalore to Nagpur (1100kms approx) and then returned on 28th.

Now tell me how many cars in the market (south of 10lakh mark) inspire this kind of confidence in you.

Talking about safety, that's the most important aspect about any vehicle i would buy. Fiat cars are build like tanks. No problem at all.

Now coming to the 1.5MJD mill. Even I would love my beloved car are equipped with a larger displacement engine with higher power ratings just for the reason that this car deserves more. Not that it doesn't have sufficient. But a little more is desirable.

My two cents.
Thumping Soul is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2015, 21:51   #23
BHPian

@Parimal,
I have no doubts about the pluses of the FIATs at all. They are strong, well built cars.
However, I am not happy with the way the company has showcased their products.
Their service centers have let them down in the past and we are not even talking about the mess of a tie-up with Tata. Their half hearted attempt at a cross , the Avventura could easily be passed off as a DC wannabe attempt with Punto and no one wouldbe any wiser. It felt solid in the way that a heavy but cumbersome table would in a small house. And as quick !
Since they are not entering this market the right way, they will never be able to sell large enough numbers to generate good vendors at competitive prices but good quality.

Where is their rival to the i10, the Wagon R etc. They can't be a two- car company and hope to make any headway. And their cars are like sluggish without any doubt
fiestarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2015, 22:32   #24
BHPian

I have Linea 2013 model done around 30K on the ODO and Dad owns a used Nano 2012 with around 10K on the ODO. I also had a NA Indica which did 1Lakh on ODO before it was sold.

Coming to the perception of under-powered , the issue I guess is that Linea generates power like like,

Till 1.5K RPM --> No Power --> 2K RPM --> Some power --> 3K RPM --> Lot of power.

The problem is that, in the city I do not even take the car to 2K RPM (due to traffic) and hence the car feels sluggish and lethargic since by the time power starts getting generated it is time to brake and lose the turbo band. Hence when someone TD's the Linea the initial impression is bound to be that of a slow, lethargic car.

Nano and to an extent my old Indica it is just the opposite (i.e) Lot of power --> less power --> No power when RPM is raised.

Hence Linea is not under powered for Highways (it can go till 150 kmph easily) but a 1.5 Litre engine would help the low end grunt for city running with better gear ratios.

The only point is that it should not be priced much higher than what current Linea sells , else it would be an even more niche product than current model .

Edit:

OT, but I have no issues with the service center, at-least in Chennai with Ramkay Fiat. Nothing extra was added or even asked, workmanship is very good and frankly for my kind of terrible handling, the car is proving itself to be very reliable though I need to see it for another year or two before commenting and maintenance is very cheap for a car in this price band.

Last edited by Aceman82 : 4th February 2015 at 22:37.
Aceman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2015, 12:59   #25
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Ah, the ever lovely Linea, one design that just doesnt seem to age!
However, the facelifted Linea had the number plate on the boot rather than the rear bumper. So this is a older Linea, with possibly an engine ugrade or may be just engine running test rather than the car itself, which also explains the partial camo.

But , time is running out for the Linea and it surely needs a replacement. Its a car that i always wanted to own, almost finalized it at two different occassions, only to finally settle for a Rapid, mainly due to the underpowered engine in the Linea.

Last edited by motorworks : 5th February 2015 at 13:00. Reason: typo
motorworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2015, 13:19   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
But , time is running out for the Linea and it surely needs a replacement. Its a car that i always wanted to own, almost finalized it at two different occassions, only to finally settle for a Rapid, mainly due to the underpowered engine in the Linea.
As an observer- I couldn't find the connect with the Rapid- That I found with the Linea.

Was it only me- but the Rapid did remind me of the 1983 Mercedes Benz W123-300TD, my fav all time diesel car. The greenish glow of the MID, which looked as if it was taken off from a computer, from the late-Eighties. The motor started up- with the glow plug coil lighting up. I loved this retro diesel experience. Felt damn old fashioned, and since I'm into older cars as well- Loved it!

The rattley knobs, inadequate headlights, and the clattery engine, coupled with the solid build, and the useless stiff suspension- Felt agricultural, and ummm- 30 years old. But I liked it. And the gauges- so very in-your-face. They conveyed what you want- and nothing more. But I saw the Check-Engine-Light provision, and wondered- If I do buy this, what if this light lights up? Who will fight at the ASC?

The Rapid experience was good- no doubt about that. But the Linea has the looks, the charm, the pedigree, and a very good ASC. I've listened to several Linea owners perspectives, now- Motorworksji- Over to you! What would you say, pedigree or hardiness, bearing in mind that the Linea is superior in all respects over the Rapid- APART from the MJD.

PS: My woes are further compounded when I compare the following pics:

The Linea dash:

Name:  fiatlineadashboard059.jpg
Views: 1956
Size:  27.9 KB

And the Skoda:
Fiat Linea with partial camo spotted - 1.5L diesel being tested?-rapid-iab..jpg

You see- The Linea always wins. Somehow.

Credits to the Rapid dash pic: IAB. And the Linea one- Carwale I guess.

Last edited by FINTAIL : 5th February 2015 at 13:20.
FINTAIL is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2015, 15:55   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You see- The Linea always wins. Somehow.
Hey FINTAIL I am neither a big fan of the Rapid nor do I go bonkers over the Linea Facelift version, but you got it a tiny bit wrong here bro. Rapid has undergone some really credible changes in the recent past and as a product offers brilliant VFM.

The Linea dash:

Name:  Linea.jpg
Views: 1869
Size:  55.7 KB

The Rapid Dash:

Fiat Linea with partial camo spotted - 1.5L diesel being tested?-rapid.png

The way I see it, its not the way the interiors look that alone matters to a potential customer. Inspite of Rapid's exteriors & interiors looking Spartan compared to the New Linea, the former sells more. This can be attributed to the product as a whole.

I honestly hope that Fiat fixes the most important bit of both Linea & Punto with the launch of 1.5 MJD & T-jet respectively...ERGONOMICS.

I just can't put my finger on that, but there is something seriously wrong with the way the steering column, pedals and probably the seats are designed. I have not yet found a comfortable driving position on my friends 90HP sport, in over 2 yrs of his ownership !! He pretty much admits that he has got used to it now.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 5th February 2015 at 15:57.
Vik0728 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2015, 16:01   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
PS: My woes are further compounded when I compare the following pics:

The Linea dash:

And the Skoda:
Thatís unfair, comparing the dash of the older Rapid (and the entry level variant at that!) to that of Lineaís facelifted variant.
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2015, 22:54   #29
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw the camouflaged Linea in my building last week.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Linea with partial camo spotted - 1.5L diesel being tested?-img_20150224_082219168_hdr.jpg  

Fiat Linea with partial camo spotted - 1.5L diesel being tested?-img_20150224_082147869.jpg  

//M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2015, 09:39   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Saw the camouflaged Linea in my building last week.
Did you get a chance to peep into the interiors and spot any changes? Any stickers on the glass to give away?

What on earth is Fiat testing the Linea with, if its not an engine upgrade?
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote