Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 6th February 2015, 17:26   #16
Senior - BHPian
Default Re: Hyundai Sonata discontinued in India

I just love the looks of the sonata. sad to see it being discontinued. Still remember when I saw it racing like a hayabusa bike in my rear view mirror. the driver was driving toooo fast on a road. first time I saw someone driving so fast in such a small area and amazing pickup.

It was in SRK movie Don 2 also.
tanwaramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2015, 23:58   #17

Originally Posted by yaseenar View Post
I don't think that is happening as I see a Hyundai symbol at the back of Genesis in their US website!
They can always build the Genesis brand in India. I still think it's a missed opportunity by Hyundai in other markets.

Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You mean Elantra? That's closer to the Sonata in every way (than the Verna).
Humble apologies , yes I meant the Elantra.

Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
Come to think of it, I have a naive/dumb suggestion to the Korean brand. What if Hyundai could market the next-gen Sonata under the Genesis umbrella? I mean, replace the Hyundai badging with the Genesis ones, give it a different name. I'm sure a number of prospective customers who were initially judgmental will take interest. It can also be that brand building exercise they're looking for...Kill two birds with a single stone!!
I'm wondering the exact same thing. Hyundai make excellent cars , why don't they just build a new luxury brand under Genesis name and be the new Lexus( since Lexus ain't coming here ). I'm telling you, they are wasting a huge potential in the luxury space.
stanjohn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2015, 13:08   #18
Team-BHP Support

Originally Posted by noopster View Post
God alone knows why Hyundai launched only a petrol
Cars in the 20 lakh segment are seldom re-engineered for India, because of the paltry volumes. This generation of the Sonata wasn't available in a diesel anywhere. It's biggest markets (like the USA) love petrols.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2015, 14:59   #19
Infractions: 0/1 (4)

What I still cannot understand is why the car was so slow and inefficient even with the aid of direct injection. For example, it comes with more peak power and torque than a Kizashi, weighs a shade less than it, but still manages to be nearly 2 seconds slower to the ton and at least 2kmpl less efficient. While I don't see the harm in providing only a petrol, I cannot understand why they could not make a better one.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 7th February 2015 at 15:21.
IshaanIan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2015, 15:08   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

If you are a mass market brand, and you want to sell a vehicle beyond a certain price point, it has to be either a SUV or a Diesel, preferably both!

If automobile executives are reading this thread, here is my cheat sheet for Indian markets :

SUV + Diesel = Good!
Big Car + Petrol = No Good!

Last edited by smartcat : 7th February 2015 at 15:10.
smartcat is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote