Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2015, 17:55   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: -
Posts: 4,705
Thanked: 3,845 Times
Default Hyundai Sonata discontinued in India

Quote:
Lack of diesel motor and slow sales blamed for demise.
more here:
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ia-393158.aspx
sidindica is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2015, 23:53   #2
BHPian
 
WildInstincts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Chn<>Coimbatore
Posts: 53
Thanked: 59 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Sonata discontinued in India

Don't think it would be missed much. It never really secured a special place in the market or in the heart of the consumers. However, in my opinion it was a value for money car.
WildInstincts is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2015, 12:06   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
puchoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Delhi / Shimla
Posts: 1,433
Thanked: 750 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Sonata discontinued in India

Yep , i do not think anyone is going to miss the car going away , neither consumers nor Hyundai themselves. Will have little or no impact on them from a sales point of view and in fact just make operations a little easier.
puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2015, 12:35   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,729
Thanked: 89,228 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Sonata discontinued in India

Yep, the news appears to be true. In Jan 2015, the number of Sonata factory despatches fell to ZERO.

I'd disagree that it's only the lack of a diesel option that led to its demise. Case in point, the Superb. Many months, its petrol sibling outsells the diesel. Also consider the VW Passat. It had a diesel and was still discontinued due to poor demand. Some VW dealers were sitting on unsold stock of 2 year old Passats.

Cracking the D2 sedan segment is tricky, but the volumes are so low that most manufacturers just don't think it's worth their time. Discontinued models include the Accord, Passat, Teana and now, the Sonata.

Unlike its competitors, the Sonata remains well-priced and hasn't gone through frequent $$$ hikes. It was launched at a starting price of 18.52 lakhs in 2012. 3 years later, the price is 19.2 lakhs. Expect dealers to offer whopping discounts on 2014 stock. If anyone is looking at a cheap barge, might be a good buy.

The real problem is that Hyundai never supported the Sonata. Not in terms of marketing, neither in terms of sales push. Even those who walked into a showroom asking for a test-drive frequently found no demo car available. Hyundai could definitely sell it in higher numbers if they wanted to = the Santa Fe sold 75 copies in December, and 137 in Jan. Not bad for a 30 - 35 lakh Hyundai.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2015, 14:25   #5
BHPian
 
MetalBuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mumbai, Florida
Posts: 457
Thanked: 254 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Sonata discontinued in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Yep, the news appears to be true. In Jan 2015, the number of Sonata factory despatches fell to ZERO.

I'd disagree that it's only the lack of a diesel option that led to its demise. Case in point, the Superb. Many months, its petrol sibling outsells the diesel. Also consider the VW Passat. It had a diesel and was still discontinued due to poor demand. Some VW dealers were sitting on unsold stock of 2 year old Passats.

Cracking the D2 sedan segment is tricky, but the volumes are so low that most manufacturers just don't think it's worth their time. Discontinued models include the Accord, Passat, Teana and now, the Sonata.

Unlike its competitors, the Sonata remains well-priced and hasn't gone through frequent $$$ hikes. It was launched at a starting price of 18.52 lakhs in 2012. 3 years later, the price is 19.2 lakhs. Expect dealers to offer whopping discounts on 2014 stock. If anyone is looking at a cheap barge, might be a good buy.

The real problem is that Hyundai never supported the Sonata. Not in terms of marketing, neither in terms of sales push. Even those who walked into a showroom asking for a test-drive frequently found no demo car available. Hyundai could definitely sell it in higher numbers if they wanted to = the Santa Fe sold 75 copies in December, and 137 in Jan. Not bad for a 30 - 35 lakh Hyundai.

Exactly my sentiments! Never have I seen a TD vehicle nor anadvert on TV. How did they expect this to "not" bomb?

We had the official review put up not too long ago and now, this news! Can't think of anything but, the below -
"Out of sight, out of mind."

Seriously hoping that they bring it back with a diesel heart for, as it looks stunning (fresh too) and is truely a VFM D segment car.

Cheerio,
-Shivang Gandotra

Last edited by MetalBuff : 5th February 2015 at 14:26.
MetalBuff is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2015, 15:05   #6
BHPian
 
GKR9900's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: EKM/Thrissur
Posts: 325
Thanked: 637 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Sonata discontinued in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

The real problem is that Hyundai never supported the Sonata. Not in terms of marketing, neither in terms of sales push.
In fact, had experienced this very same attitude when we went hunting for the Elantra.

Me: Wow! That Sonata looks gorgeous! Just look at that hood...it's really long!

Sales exec : Oh that! Yeah it is...now sir, if you can come this way...

Me : Wait a sec, let me take a look.

Sales exec : It's only available in petrol , you wouldn't be interested ( seems like he knows my head better than myself)

Me : Would love to have a look inside that.

SE : The key is with our MD and he's out of town....blah blah!

Me :

There it is. That explains why I have never seen a single Sonata(fluidic) on the road all these years!

On a related note, I seriously hope D2 segments can make a come back. Previously, the price difference between the D2 sedans and the 3/C/A4 was not too huge, forcing a few customers to save up and go for a luxury brand. With the German trio moving higher up the price band, there is some serious market space for them to flourish now. And the best part is that these cars are actually no compromise cars. They have style, quality, performance, space, and practicality. Although highly unlikely, I seriously wish Hyundai brings in their Genesis brand to India.

Last edited by GKR9900 : 5th February 2015 at 15:09.
GKR9900 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2015, 15:09   #7
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,759
Thanked: 6,668 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Sonata discontinued in India

The car was certainly competent and wasn't lacking on features. Also the pricing was not bad at all. It is only the dealers who messed up the sales of this car. Hyundai dealers do not know how to deal with customers who are looking for a 10l car +. I remember my experience when looking at the Santa Fe
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2015, 22:50   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
stanjohn123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: TN 75
Posts: 1,063
Thanked: 392 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Sonata discontinued in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
I seriously wish Hyundai brings in their Genesis brand to India.
+1 to that , but they should bring it in a totally different brand name like how Toyota did with Lexus.

The problem for sonata was inside their own family in the form of Verna. verna had everything important( except ventilated seats) that the Sonata had at a lot cheaper price.
stanjohn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2015, 22:54   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
IshaanIan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyd/B'lore
Posts: 2,434
Thanked: 3,131 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Sonata discontinued in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'd disagree that it's only the lack of a diesel option that led to its demise. Case in point, the Superb. Many months, its petrol sibling outsells the diesel. Also consider the VW Passat. It had a diesel and was still discontinued due to poor demand. Some VW dealers were sitting on unsold stock of 2 year old Passats.

Unlike its competitors, the Sonata remains well-priced and hasn't gone through frequent $$$ hikes. It was launched at a starting price of 18.52 lakhs in 2012. 3 years later, the price is 19.2 lakhs. Expect dealers to offer whopping discounts on 2014 stock. If anyone is looking at a cheap barge, might be a good buy.

The real problem is that Hyundai never supported the Sonata. Not in terms of marketing, neither in terms of sales push. Even those who walked into a showroom asking for a test-drive frequently found no demo car available. Hyundai could definitely sell it in higher numbers if they wanted to = the Santa Fe sold 75 copies in December, and 137 in Jan. Not bad for a 30 - 35 lakh Hyundai.
True there are cars that sell well in petrol guise however the Sonata's motor wasn't as quick as its figures would have you believe (infact slower than its 4cyl competition in both 0-100 sprints and in-gear acceleration) also the mileage was un-acceptably low. Thus I believe a potent diesel would really have made a difference.

While it was priced well, there was not much going for it; honestly found the design to be too much (and not in the lamborghini way), also, while the "fluidic" styling on the exterior does have a quite a few takers, I believe letting it dictate the interior styling as well, was a bit of an overkill in such a mature segment. While well specced, it did not wow people in terms of features to draw folks from other well equipped cars in the segment (heated and cooled seats were the only things it possessed over the rest), rear knee-room was even less than the relatively compact Kizashi and head-room was not good (coupled with the high waistline that lead to a claustrophobic effect). To top it all it came with a dead steering, an unwillingness to dart into corners and a chassis that was quite clearly not tested to be rigid and composed under demanding situations (even the enthusiast minority wouldn't be able to appreciate it). Unlike other cars that failed to crack the D2 segment (Passat, Teana, Kizashi and of late even the Accord), this one honestly felt like it didn't belong. I do agree that it could have done a little better with some good marketing (just like anything would).

I for one will not be moping over its demise in our market.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 5th February 2015 at 22:57.
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2015, 11:51   #10
BHPian
 
yaseenar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: BLR, TCR
Posts: 66
Thanked: 87 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Sonata discontinued in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
+1 to that , but they should bring it in a totally different brand name like how Toyota did with Lexus.
I don't think that is happening as I see a Hyundai symbol at the back of Genesis in their US website!

The front and the side of the car looks beautiful but very similar to Aston Martin design! Look at the front symbol!
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Sonata discontinued in India-genesis-side.png  

Attached Images
    

Last edited by yaseenar : 6th February 2015 at 12:02.
yaseenar is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2015, 12:28   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,729
Thanked: 89,228 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Sonata discontinued in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
It is only the dealers who messed up the sales of this car.
This attitude trickled down from Hyundai. If the company is unwilling to promote a product, why should the dealer care?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
The problem for sonata was inside their own family in the form of Verna. verna had everything important( except ventilated seats) that the Sonata had at a lot cheaper price.
You mean Elantra? That's closer to the Sonata in every way (than the Verna).

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
True there are cars that sell well in petrol guise however the Sonata's motor wasn't as quick as its figures would have you believe (infact slower than its 4cyl competition in both 0-100 sprints and in-gear acceleration)
This generation of the Sonata was available with a 4-cylinder petrol only.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2015, 12:41   #12
Team-BHP Support
 
noopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 8,665
Thanked: 9,195 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Sonata discontinued in India

No big loss. A plug-ugly car in my opinion, easily the worst Fluidic execution to date. God alone knows why Hyundai launched only a petrol as well. I doubt too many people will miss this one- like another member pointed out, I haven't seen a single one on the road and have only seen pics in Samurai's review of this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post

On a related note, I seriously hope D2 segments can make a come back. Previously, the price difference between the D2 sedans and the 3/C/A4 was not too huge, forcing a few customers to save up and go for a luxury brand. With the German trio moving higher up the price band, there is some serious market space for them to flourish now. And the best part is that these cars are actually no compromise cars. They have style, quality, performance, space, and practicality. Although highly unlikely, I seriously wish Hyundai brings in their Genesis brand to India.
Agreed 100%. With the Germans now moving to the 40+ bracket (except for the truly entry level 1 series and A class offerings) there is a new market opening for 20-30L luxury cars. The time is ripe for some really good cars to launch in this range.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2015, 12:46   #13
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,381
Thanked: 14,302 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Sonata discontinued in India

As somebody who got to drive the Sonata on a day long test drive, I am not too surprised about this. To quote a line from my review "If the Sonata MT was unexciting, the AT version is downright boring". Therefore, it had only one thing going for it. Great backseat comfort for just 2 people. It looks like even the sales people were aware of it, so they didn't waste much time on it.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2015, 13:29   #14
BHPian
 
GKR9900's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: EKM/Thrissur
Posts: 325
Thanked: 637 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
+1 to that , but they should bring it in a totally different brand name like how Toyota did with Lexus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Agreed 100%. With the Germans now moving to the 40+ bracket (except for the truly entry level 1 series and A class offerings) there is a new market opening for 20-30L luxury cars.
As much as I would love to see the Genesis on Indian roads, upon further research, that seems to be a very distant dream. The problem is that Genesis abroad is priced above our typical D2 sedans. Even if Hyundai were to introduce it here, it would be at par with the German trio which instantly makes it a market dud! They might bring it on as a brand building exercise though. The typical D2 sedan from Hyundai had always been the Sonata. If Hyundai wants to target numbers, this will be their best bet. The new generation is already out and I believe this is the natural successor of the Sonata in India.


Name:  ForumRunner_20150206_131534.png
Views: 2434
Size:  336.1 KB



Name:  ForumRunner_20150206_131548.png
Views: 1371
Size:  260.1 KB



How many people are willing to spend 25-35L on a Hyundai is another question. But as GTO san already pointed out, if they can sell the Santa Fe in not so bad numbers, they can find enough customers for this too.

Come to think of it, I have a naive/dumb suggestion to the Korean brand. What if Hyundai could market the next-gen Sonata under the Genesis umbrella? I mean, replace the Hyundai badging with the Genesis ones, give it a different name, maybe some additional tech and for God's sake replace those Mondeo tail-lights, and then position it as a premium product. I'm sure a number of prospective customers who were initially judgmental will take interest. It can also be that brand building exercise they're looking for...Kill two birds with a single stone!!

Last edited by GKR9900 : 6th February 2015 at 13:34.
GKR9900 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2015, 15:56   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
razor4077's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,875
Thanked: 252 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Sonata discontinued in India

It would have never been be a mass seller. Is currently dad's company ride. It had replaced the Superb 1.8 TSi last year. I'd disagree with those who said this doesn't look nice. Looks stunning IMHO and gets a lot of stares on the road. Partly of course because it is so uncommon! Doesn't look out of place in a parking lot with the more expensive Germans. Out and out chauffeur driven car, isn't the best to drive. Back seat is very spacious and comfortable with good thigh and lumbar support and integrated cooling. Only grouse is that one sits very low in this car, which is typical Hyundai. And it won't appeal to the brand conscious lot, since this rubs shoulders with the Audis, Mercs et al apart from the Superb, Passat etc. Hyundai v Merc/BMW.. ? No contest.
razor4077 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hyundai i20 - Berry Red color discontinued y2ksrs The Indian Car Scene 11 19th September 2011 10:52
Is Hyundai Tuscon discontinued in Indian market ? vikrantj The Indian Car Scene 1 13th April 2010 14:02
Sonata facelift w/ new interior: now called Sonata 'Transform' Ramon The Indian Car Scene 126 27th March 2009 10:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:14.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks