Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 15th March 2017, 11:45   #166
BHPian

Default Re: Scoop! Toyota Vios caught testing in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
Now with the Vios launch, we will have the same engine doing duty right from a 8L rupee car till a 16L rupee sedan.
I think it's simply a case of not investing money to build a new engine for small markets. Other Japanese examples are Honda and Suzuki... and they are the prime competition for Vios with the City and Ciaz.

Honda built their own engine but only has the 1.5 in India, right from Amaze to City. If ever Civic is launched in diesel, I wouldn't be surprised if they plonk it there as well!

Suzuki has almost given up their plans of in-house diesel engine. They have the national engine of India, the 1.3, on every car across the board. The 1.6 came as a refreshing change though has not picked up steam.

As a fellow member mentioned, diesels are losing traction (as seen by sales figures as well) and that's why perhaps the apprehension in investments.
avdhesh15 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2017, 14:53   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodDevil81 View Post
Agreed.
But in many of those markets Corolla is a C-segment sedan.
I think that is exactly what racer_ash was trying to say.
Bingo. That is exactly where I am coming from. Let alone the Vios, even the Corolla is not necessarily an aspirational product from a US or UK standpoint. We all know the situation in India though. Even cars like Elantra, which are not exactly aspirational in those markets get better engines. What additional value is a Vios or Corolla giving a consumer when he is moving from Etios apart from better interiors and features? (I am talking purely from a Diesel standpoint, though I agree market is moving away from Diesels).
racer_ash is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2017, 15:33   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodDevil81 View Post
Agreed.
But in many of those markets Corolla is a C-segment sedan.
I think that is exactly what racer_ash was trying to say.
That engine is ok for Vios, but it is a misfit for Corolla in India, considering the segment in which it is placed.

Isn't it a bit awkward for a 20 Lakh D-segment sedan to have such a puny engine, which can be found under the hood of even the B-segment Etios Liva hatchback?
Okay, it looks like my post was not clear.
I agree with you all points.

What I meant is to say is that the lack of proper diesel engine option to buyers is not just in India, but abroad as well.
abhishek46 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2017, 08:29   #169
Senior - BHPian

Post Re: Scoop! Toyota Vios caught testing in Bangalore

What I'm most interested in seeing are the following variants for the Vios.
The current 90 PS diesel engine of the Toyota which is used in Corolla doesn't make any sort of sense in typical Indian driving conditions. More than the PS numbers, it's the shape of the torque curve and the turbo lag which concerns me.
Maybe, I'll have to wait another 3 years for the hybrid considering the pace at which Toyota releases something new especially for the Indian market.

Last edited by amalji : 17th March 2017 at 08:31.
amalji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2017, 09:18   #170
BHPian

Coming straight from the mouth of a Toyota biggie in Japan, while they understand financial constraints of Indians but still they feel that Indians are not good car buyers. Our focus on price and feature list outweighs all other factors like looks, safety and especially ride and handling.
Considering this background no wonder we will get old generation​ engines from Toyota until regulation forces them to upgrade.
Carma2017 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2017, 11:12   #171
BHPian

Toyota does use a 1.6L(112hp) & a 2.0L(143hp) diesel for the Avensis in the UK.

What's stopping them from using either of these engines in the Indian market?
BigBrad is offline   Reply With Quote