Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 5th May 2009, 10:47   #16
BHPian

The whole system needs to be overhauled, here in Hyderabad if cops catch you on motorbike without a license/PUC/papers, it takes less than Rs.10 as bribe, this is what I told to me by my colleagues, Once a cop stopped me when I was driving home (I think he saw my UP number plate on my car, and thought I would be easy meal), I said for what he is stopping me, he replied regular checking, before he could ask for "AP Tax" I pointed to the photocopy of the slip that I now keep pasted on my windscreen. Then he asked for other papers, I gave him the photocopy, I wonder how he managed to check everything with no light, later I realised that I even had an old photocopy of the insurance that was expired, so first enforcement needs to be solid, then rules and last but not the least the initial agencies (like RTOs)
rajatsingh78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 10:53   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
RAVI do not worry license from any RTO is not a problem and you can drive all over India.
Indeed he can drive all over India but the license is issued by the RTO in whose jurisdiction you reside. So I guess whatever address proof he is attaching, he needs to go to that RTO office.
shipnil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 12:13   #18
BHPian

I got my license without any test. The school was Chohan motor driving school in Mumbai, very famous, and very pathetic too. I only had to give a photograph and they used their contacts to get the license.

I was taught by the moron to drive with the left foot on the clutch all the time no matter what. I didn't listen to him but there must be thousands of people driving with the foot on clutch all the time.

RTO offices are pathetic with cops standing there with 15-20 ILLEGAL AGENTS with ILLEGAL SHOPS on the road. India shining.
Gagan.js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 08:14   #19
BHPian

Default driving with a RTO acknowledgement

I have given my driving license to KR Puram RTO for change of address to be noted. Hence, they will be giving me a new license and it takes close to 20 working days (because I went directly and not through an agent). Meanwhile, they have given me an acknowledgement for the DL. My query is, can I drive my vehicle anywhere in India using this acknowledgement ? Reason why I ask this is because, I need to drive down to KL next week and it is very unlikely that I will get my new DL before that. Or should I go the "traditional" way to get my DL before going out of station ?
joecherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 10:23   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
My query is, can I drive my vehicle anywhere in India using this acknowledgement ? Reason why I ask this is because, I need to drive down to KL next week and it is very unlikely that I will get my new DL before that. Or should I go the "traditional" way to get my DL before going out of station ?
Not required to wait until you get your new DL; carry the photocopy of the original license that you've submitted (hope you have taken one before submitting). Who knows in KL that you've submitted it for change of address? If they still insist on originals, then you can tell them you've submitted for change of address & show them the receipt.

But if the cops are determined for baksheesh, they'll extort it someway or other
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 10:40   #21
BHPian

Thanks Buddy. I have the DL copy.Hopefully it should be fine..
joecherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011, 11:00   #22
BHPian

Default Re: Licensing and RTO

I will be shifting (for good) from Blr to Kerala. I had got my Driving License from Bangalore (Indiranagar RTO) many many years back. What am I required to do here? Should I "transfer" my DL from BLR to Kerala RTO (like vehicle re-registration)? or just drive around with the current DL until expiry and then take a fresh one? Not sure about the process & Procedure.. Can any one help? Thanks in advance..
psvinay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011, 12:17   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psvinay View Post
I will be shifting (for good) from Blr to Kerala. I had got my Driving License from Bangalore (Indiranagar RTO) many many years back. What am I required to do here? Should I "transfer" my DL from BLR to Kerala RTO (like vehicle re-registration)? or just drive around with the current DL until expiry and then take a fresh one? Not sure about the process & Procedure.. Can any one help? Thanks in advance..
As per my understanding, a DL issues by the Licensing Authority of any state/UT is valid across the entire nation. My own DL states, ALL INDIA DRIVING LICENSE. Does you DL state that? If so, I'd suggest that you drive till your license is about to expire, say in 6 months. At that time, apply for renewal with the new RTO. Do remember, your expiring license would be verified.
lordofgondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011, 17:03   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The DL is valid throughout India. Why bother changing it? Once the current one expires, you can get it renewed from the RTO of the place you are residing.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011, 18:45   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
All licenses issued in India have 'Indian Union Driving License' imprinted somewhere on it. My MP-issued license has a prominent blue band on the top with that inscription. Karnataka-issued licenses (smart cards) have it in small font under the flag.
Chetan_Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011, 19:36   #26
Senior - BHPian

I have a weird problem.

I was issued a DL by Janakpuri RTO(Delhi) sometime in 2005 (expiry 2025) and at present it is in a bad shape! The colored strip at the top that says Transport autority has almost entirely faded away. Even my photo is not so clear. I always keep it in a 'paper cover', the ones we have for credit cards.

Now the thing is, If I want to get a 'fresh' one, I have to either report it stolen or get a new one issued. The RTO delhi site itself states that if you don't have particulars about your license and have lost it, better apply for a new one!!!

What do you guys suggest? Should I get a FIR lodged and get a duplicate one?

Though I haven't had any issues so far but everytime I hand it over to a cop, I get this feeling what if he refuses to accept it? How can I prove its authentic?
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011, 19:46   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I have a weird problem.

I was issued a DL by Janakpuri RTO(Delhi) sometime in 2005 (expiry 2025) and at present it is in a bad shape! The colored strip at the top that says Transport autority has almost entirely faded away. Even my photo is not so clear. I always keep it in a 'paper cover', the ones we have for credit cards.

Now the thing is, If I want to get a 'fresh' one, I have to either report it stolen or get a new one issued. The RTO delhi site itself states that if you don't have particulars about your license and have lost it, better apply for a new one!!!

Though I haven't had any issues so far but everytime I hand it over to a cop, I get this feeling what if he refuses to accept it? How can I prove its authentic?
Enquire among the agents/RTO if they can issue a the same DL again (without claiming the original is lost). If you do so, the new DL would show that it is a Duplicate DL.

My mum had the paper license issued way back in the 1970s which was in terrible condition. She got a new one issued from the RTO after showing the condition.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011, 23:25   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post

I had to do that few years back. FIR is not required. Just an acknowledgment on application that states license is lost is sufficient.

Any ROT agent should be able to arrange for all required documents.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 14:31   #29
Senior - BHPian

Thanks libranof1987 and NetfreakBombay, will see what works out and report!
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 16:30   #30
BHPian

My Driving Lic expired on 18th Aug. I had taken the MCWG from Chetpet, and by the time I needed the LMV, the RTO office had moved to Ayyanavaram. Since this was done through the driving school where I learnt to drive the car it was all "transparent" to me. So I go to the Ayyanavarm RTO office only to learn that a new RTO has opened on new avadi road, and the renewal needs to be done over there. I would assume since this was a move by the RTO and not a change from my end, but no, I would need to take a NOC from here and submit it at the new office.

Though this was annoying that I had to take an NOC for their departmental re-org, the good part was none asked me for anything "extra". I filled the form paid the fees (Rs. 50) for the NOC and in 1 hr the paper gets signed. Then the next day I go to the next RTO office, have the papers checked, fees paid, photo taken and new lic issued by noon. Not sure if its the Anna Hazare effect. But its high time that the records are centralised across the country, and they dont expect us to take the NOC.
raghu.t.k is offline   Reply With Quote