Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 17th August 2006, 20:23   #1

Default Licensing and RTO

This is something that bothers me a lot: The state of our (driving) licensing system and the RTOs.

The way with which the driving schools go about teaching driving and how they are hand in glove with the RTO officials is appaling to say the least.

Same stands for the complicated manner in which an out of state car gets registered at a new location. In Mumbai for instance things are really bad for non MH cars. My DL registered car was stopped and all documents confiscated because we had not finished the transfer process in time. It required innumerable trips to the RTO all the way at Tardeo (from Powai) to get the documents back. Had a horrendous time then.

Its high time the system got overhauled and the process of getting a driving license be a privilege rather than almost a right like it is now. A centralized Licensing and Vehcile Registration body and system would not only help ensure quality of new drivers coming into the system but also make the process of transfers etc. smoother, in addition to bringing traffic offenders to the book. Hopefully may also help in recovery of stolen cars ...

Wot say guys......
sumwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2006, 21:31   #2
BHPian

Default Licensing and RTO

sumwal,

having just been thru a driving school, i could'nt agree more

on a serious note, this issue must be taken up in the media as well.
if TBHP can be at the fore here, nothing like it.

if India will be the car/OEM factory of the world and if we are looking at exploding growth in vehicle sale figures, its high time we spoke up for professionalising/cleaning the whole 'system'

good thread for the community. looking forward to members' thoughts.
ssl2uv108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2006, 22:07   #3

What pisses me off the most is the fact that all these so called driving instructors are such bad drivers themselves. My wife was learning to drive and the kind of inputs she was given were baffling.

The system needs to be cleansed and this will go a long way in reducing high accident related casualties in India.

In fact I am so passionate about it that really want to do more than just post my frustration. Any suggestions on how this can be made a big movement are most welcome....
sumwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2006, 23:15   #4
BHPian

These officials deliberately make things more difficult for us people, so that we given-in to their demands of bribing.

Some steps I can think of are:-

It can start with the removal of 'agents' the main persons through which most RTO officials get illegal benefits. The Govt. had tried, but failed ( all know why.........politicians)

Centralisation & Computerisation of all records of the RTO

Simplification in various procedures related to RTO formalities with the help of the internet etc.

az
autozealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2006, 16:36   #5
BHPian

Post edited by Mod : Please do NOT type in FULL CAPS. It results in an eyesore for other users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumwal
In fact I am so passionate about it that really want to do more than just post my frustration. Any suggestions on how this can be made a big movement are most welcome....
HI sumwal

Good to see your intent

Try writing to Outlook Money

There is a regular column on the automotive industry

Last edited by GTO : 19th October 2011 at 14:09. Reason: Please do NOT type in FULL CAPS. It results in an eyesore for other users.
ssl2uv108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2006, 12:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumwal
This is something that bothers me a lot: The state of our (driving) licensing system and the RTOs.

The way with which the driving schools go about teaching driving and how they are hand in glove with the RTO officials is appaling to say the least.
Is true for most systems in India...
sandeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2006, 17:44   #7
BHPian

IMHO... its more like this - The the bad ppl dont want good improvements to happen, once when good things start happening, the bad ppl start losing business in all ways. Good system, for eg. RTO Issued Metal Number Plates, now if htis happens, the acrylic industry will suffer a bit, the acrylic and metal numperplate ppl will suffer badly. so these ppl dont let the Govt do good changes to the system.

This is a very small example that i have given here, while the country and its system is a vast ocean, and there are many more obstacles like such in this country.
Insane Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2009, 18:29   #8
BHPian

HI,
hello my name is Ravichandran and i stay in chennai.I recently turned 18 and so i have decided to get a learning license. MY permanent address comes under the RTO TN 10( chennai south -west).but i have joined driving school
which comes under the RTO TN 07(chennai south) and i want to get my LLR and driving license with the help of the agents in my driving school to avoid any hassels .
i have a couple of questions about getting a LLR.

1. can i get the license issued by the RTO TN07 ( chennai south which is inThiruvanmiyur ) even though the permanent address given in my PASSPORT
comes under RTO TN 10( chennai south which is valasaravakkam).

(ps: i have this doubt because couple of friends of mine said that i will issued license only by the RTO under which my permanent adress comes under.is it true.?).

i am in urget to get a learning license so a quick response would be welcome.

thanks-
ravi
amulu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2009, 20:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

i was given a driving license just by taking a U-turn in a santro. i acquired a 2 wheeler with gear license by driving a kinetic honda Zx without gear! i was quite amused.

OT here: sumwal, you stay in powai. even i stay in hiranandani.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2009, 20:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

My Indian driving license was got by me driving the vehicle alone and assuming the RTO officer was 'looking' at me driving from his second floor office, as per his instructions.

I drove and got back to his office and he was still in his desk. He just says it ok and goes ahead and signs the papers!
HappyWheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2009, 20:36   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amulu10 View Post

1. can i get the license issued by the RTO TN07 ( chennai south which is inThiruvanmiyur ) even though the permanent address given in my PASSPORT
comes under RTO TN 10( chennai south which is valasaravakkam).
RAVI do not worry license from any RTO is not a problem and you can drive all over India.
gowda79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2009, 20:40   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
RAVI do not worry license from any RTO is not a problem and you can drive all over India.

thank you. will be getting my LLR soon!
amulu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2009, 23:49   #13
BHPian

Way back in the early eighties when I just started learning driving on many occasions I got really adventurous and drove even without my driver on my side. A couple of times police stopped me and asked if I had licence. Without blinking I rattled off the number of my driver's licence number which interestingly was the registration number of my class 10 hall ticket. Well, in those days you just need to tell the number of your licence. Hardly anyone ever bothered to check one. My driver had acquired his licence from Manglore merely by sending his photograph and Rs. 300. Even I was offered the service but my dad wouldn't give me Rs. 300.

A year or two later when I went to the RTA office in Mylapore, Chennai, to get my first licence after the completion of '1 week' of driving with Learner's Licence the only question the inspector asked me was "Where is your car?". I pointed out the ambassador parked under the shade, across the street. He nodded and asked me come back after four days to collect the licence. The calico clothed small booklet with newsprint type pages containing my photograph which authorised me to drive the four-wheeler was ready on the day. Total cost Rs. 25 or so. Those were the days!

I guess most accidents take place nowadays not because people don't know how to drive but because they are not used to such powerful and fast vehicles. Learning the ropes in some rickety old vehicles and then sitting behind the wheels of some really fast machines is definitely a dangerous proposition.
lejhoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 09:36   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree that licensing is a joke. but I worry that we may end with a situation like Brazil in the 70's. The joke was - After your driving test you did not ask, have I passed by How Much? Apparently, the under the table charge was dependent on how competent you were as a driver.

Last edited by sgiitk : 5th May 2009 at 09:37.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 10:32   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
i was given a driving license just by taking a U-turn in a santro. i acquired a 2 wheeler with gear license by driving a kinetic honda Zx without gear! i was quite amused.

OT here: sumwal, you stay in powai. even i stay in hiranandani.
Got the license in 1989 Feb, had to speak on the 9 rules of the CMV Rules at that point of time it was the Bombay Motor Vehicles Act. It was grilling, but good. Test was a 1km trip outside & into the RTO - Tardeo.

OT : I stay in Hiranandani too.
Cheers.
mmmjgm is offline   Reply With Quote