Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 9th March 2015, 20:11   #76
Default Re: The Curse of the "Taxi" Badge

Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
If we try to understand why people do not prefer buying cars used as commercial taxis, we need to go back about 2 decades. ... ... ... The negative experience that people associated with the journey in a Taxi made its way into a social stigma against this form of public transport. ... ... ... The problem is, the social stigma is not so easy to remove. ... ... ...
That's looking at it from a different perspective, and a very logical one! Well put, Nissan~! I never thought of it, this way!

And yet, to my mind, it's still more likely the perceived prestige issue - the undesirability of being seen in a "commuter-taxi car" with private plates.

A commuter-taxi, by default, is practical and cheap-to-run, and reasonably comfortable. It has to make economic sense. Hence, the Dzires, Etios(es!), Logans, et al.

Any make of car, overtly associated with practical and cheap-to-run, will cut no ice with the Indian customer, who, predominantly, still looks at a car as a statement of status - the larger, the more expensive, the more powerful, the MORE it will (hopefully) impress the Menons next door!

Here, I make a distinction between a commuter-taxi (say, your airport drop), as against a luxury-taxi service. The latter would not necessarily use economical-to-run cars, as their pricing is different. Hence, to my mind, an Uber-Black using Ventos and Corollas is not going to affect their desirability to the Indian customer.
ARG is offline   Reply With Quote