Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 9th June 2015, 12:46   #196
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Hexa @ Geneva Motor Show 2015. An Aria-based Crossover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunanb View Post
Pls. count the no. of seat belts in your vehicle.I guess, it is mandatory that every person in the vehicle to be provided with a seat belt as basic safety system.
That's an excellent point, and could provide the answer I'm looking for, but for the fact that SUVs like Safari and Scorpio with 3rd row jump seats do not have seat belts and yet are classified as 7 seaters. So that brings us back to a probable real estate classification.
Old 9th June 2015, 14:35   #197
BHPian

Quote:
It does matter, if the 3rd row is of 2 equal sized seats, then with the captain seats it is only a 6 seater. Pls. count the no. of seat belts in your vehicle.I guess, it is mandatory that every person in the vehicle to be provided with a seat belt as basic safety system. Carrying additional person or deciding to sit in middle and not wear seat belt is compromising on the safety and is at your own risk.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Yes sir. There are 7 seat belts. Only thing is the middle passenger in the third row gets a 2-point lap belt and not the 3-point seat belt which all others get.

By the way in overseas markets the use of 3-point seat belts are mandatory for all passengers to get a 5* safety rating by safety agencies like NCAP. In India because there is no such agency car makers are skimping on these essential features.

Hopefully in All new Innova Toyota will provide 3-point seat belts for all passengers and ISO Fix mounts for child seats on 4 rear seats.

Regards.
mroptimist is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2015, 14:57   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroptimist View Post
Yes sir. There are 7 seat belts. Only thing is the middle passenger in the third row gets a 2-point lap belt and not the 3-point seat belt which all others get.

By the way in overseas markets the use of 3-point seat belts are mandatory for all passengers to get a 5* safety rating by safety agencies like NCAP. In India because there is no such agency car makers are skimping on these essential features.

Hopefully in All new Innova Toyota will provide 3-point seat belts for all passengers and ISO Fix mounts for child seats on 4 rear seats.

Regards.
Thanks for the clarification. Just saw it in a vehicle also. But I believe the lap belt cannot be used as the belt and buckle are spaced very close to each other.

Anyway, lets get back to topic. Hexa.
Old 10th June 2015, 01:01   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. Just saw it in a vehicle also. But I believe the lap belt cannot be used as the belt and buckle are spaced very close to each other.

Anyway, lets get back to topic. Hexa.
Having used the Innova for 6 years I can confirm that the lap belt can be and has been used extensively by my family members. it is not uncomfortable or cramped but definitely would prefer a proper 3 point belt. Also, the third row can very comfortably take three average sized adults or two very large sized adults (so long as they are below 6"6 IMHO). It is not two single seats but two pieces that are very wide - maybe each 40-50% wider than a normal seat.
Buffetfan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 09:46   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
Having used the Innova for 6 years I can confirm that the lap belt can be and has been used extensively by my family members. it is not uncomfortable or cramped but definitely would prefer a proper 3 point belt. Also, the third row can very comfortably take three average sized adults or two very large sized adults (so long as they are below 6"6 IMHO). It is not two single seats but two pieces that are very wide - maybe each 40-50% wider than a normal seat.
Thanks for your clarification. I had travelled in the third row of an innova some 6 years back from Pune to Mahabaleshwar and back. Im 6ft and build a bit on the broader side, have to say the ride was not bad. Did not have any strain at the end of trip. I couldnt recollect noticing the lap belts. Only yesterday after my initial post, tried sitting on my colleague's innova and found the lap belt unusable for me. But an average Indian is smaller than me. So I guess should not be a problem for many.

In my opinion Innova is a great car to be driven around. Thanks again for clarifying.
Old 10th June 2015, 10:57   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
would prefer a proper 3 point belt.
Maybe I'm technically challenged (more than likely) but how does one get a 3 point belt for a center passenger?
Old 10th June 2015, 11:04   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Maybe I'm technically challenged (more than likely) but how does one get a 3 point belt for a center passenger?
I was watching one of the reviews of some European Suzuki S-cross and saw it. The third point was hooked to the roof of the car.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 11:09   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
I was watching one of the reviews of some European Suzuki S-cross and saw it. The third point was hooked to the roof of the car.
Makes sense. Innovative.
Old 10th June 2015, 11:11   #204
BHPian

Quote:
That should be technically possible. I guess as long as it is mounted to a proper reinforced rigid surface, it should be ok.

But, that would spoil the aesthetics ot the car and might obstruct the rear view as well.

The other way is have the belt mounted on the seats like in some bus seats.
Old 10th June 2015, 13:44   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Makes sense. Innovative.
Quote:
That should be technically possible. I guess as long as it is mounted to a proper reinforced rigid surface, it should be ok.

But, that would spoil the aesthetics ot the car and might obstruct the rear view as well.

The other way is have the belt mounted on the seats like in some bus seats.
Skoda Yeti in our market comes with Proper three point seat belts for middle passenger. Picture taken from our own review:

Tata Hexa @ Geneva Motor Show 2015. An Aria-based Crossover!-skodayeti08.jpg

More Details here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2141589 (Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures)

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 14:24   #206
BHPian

Tata's will have to work hard towards getting their Service center experience in top notch conditions. Also he quality of product needs to be high class especially the engine. Tata's now own JLR and should focus on using their engine technology. Alternatively, Fiat also has some very good engines that it can borrow and use (1.3 is already in use, they should now explore 1.6 and 2.0).
Old 10th June 2015, 15:30   #207
BHPian

How do you buckle it? Do you have to first cross the belt, snap on the right side and then again cross it across your lap and snap on ur left side?

Guess I've managed to convey the question correctly.
Old 10th June 2015, 15:32   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelchandra View Post
Tata's will have to work hard towards getting their Service center experience in top notch conditions. Also he quality of product needs to be high class especially the engine. Tata's now own JLR and should focus on using their engine technology. Alternatively, Fiat also has some very good engines that it can borrow and use (1.3 is already in use, they should now explore 1.6 and 2.0).
Engine was never Tata's problem they really make good diesel engines specially 2.2 VTT used in Aria / Storme / Safari
However the problems were elsewhere such as fit and finish , suspension , service and lack of imagination in cosmetic design aspects.

Last edited by amitk26 : 10th June 2015 at 15:38.
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 16:00   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Engine was never Tata's problem they really make good diesel engines specially 2.2 VTT used in Aria / Storme / Safari
However the problems were elsewhere such as fit and finish , suspension , service and lack of imagination in cosmetic design aspects.
My expectation is to have a flawless engine with no issues. The 2.2 VTT has come a long way and the recent changes to Storme in the engine area is also commendable. Will have to wait and watch for a long term ownership review without issues.
Old 11th June 2015, 14:21   #210
Senior - BHPian

Can we expect it to run by Dusshera? (Gujjus will get the joke. :P). If yes, then I might skip on the XUV500.

I am impressed by the concept and hope tata does not kill the concept by making a lacklustre product.

Their Design, marketing and sales team have been overhauled and things are looking great. I hope they keep the dream run up.
Closed Thread