Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 4th March 2015, 17:02   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: February 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Interesting to see that Datsun hasn't suffered from all that negative publicity it gathered in the last few months with both their models doing better than previous months. Goes to show how much we rate safety in our country.

Toyota has got a clear winner again in form of Altis. It is outselling all other D segment cars 3 times over.

Sad to see the Zest doing so badly. I guess that Tata just wasted too much time in taking the necessary action at the time when competition was really running ahead of them. Hopefully if they consolidate on their after sales and reliability issues, gradually they can definitely see a change in the perception even with these small number of cars on the road. Also I think they should stop fiddling with the Nano brand now. That car is not going to sell now, come what may. They should at best try to come out with some segment first feature in it like a diesel engine ( which was rumored but I am sure will launch only when the competition would have also introduced the same).
drmohitg is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2015, 17:52   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYDRAVI View Post
(5) Rest of the models are meant for passionate car lovers and forums.
I am guessing you mean the rest of the brands are meant for passionate car lovers. I do understand where you are coming from in terms of reasoning for that statement, all of us have imagined that at some point.

Here's what I think now though, and this is based purely off personal experiences & general user opinions - the differences between a Hyundai in particular & its European rivals are narrowing down by the year, safety & quality as well as practicality/space are on par if not a bit more in a Hyundai. India's car market has grown only the past 5 years or so, the beginners want value, easy to locate service stations & reliable machines. Only after a few years of driving thousands of kilometres in varying traffic situations & experiencing different automobiles does one really become a driving-savant, for lack of a better term. As far as being passionate goes anyone can be passionate about any brand I'm guessing.

Now coming to Suzuki, I see mainly 2 things working in their favour - one being FMA or first mover advantage, i.e almost forming a gaadi matlab Maruti impression in the minds of consumers. Two being the vast network of service stations & garages trained to service Suzuki cars which reassures the public that their cars are in good hands anywhere. Now even though others are playing catch-up, the almost 2 decade lead Maruti had will pay off for some more time. Honda & Toyota too had first mover advantage in the 1-1.5 million rupee sedan so naturally they are reaping the benefits today with the City & Corolla respectively.

We have many Skoda fans here in the forum, I'm surprised no one mentions one thing that contributed to its failure. The Laura & Fabia when first launched in India had enough features in them to crush any car in sight - Laura launched with 6 airbags, ESP, EBD, front & rear park assist, 5 alloys etc and Fabia too had full front arm-rest, sunroof, integrated 6" screen etc. May I also say the first Laura was stunning as was the Fabia, the face-lifts became all straight-lines-most-boring to look at & removed half the features while prices were hiked. The entry of VW killed Skoda in my honest opinion. Neither ever had an efficient, friendly service network either.

Fiat - no marketing & there is no excuse for that since they are one of the most profitable car makers. Punto & Linea may not work anymore, new replacements needed with completely newer names. They do make honest cars though.

GM & Ford - Two more makers slow to respond to market tastes, result as expected though they aren't as unlucky as Fiat due to having a bigger range of models.

Last edited by dark.knight : 4th March 2015 at 17:57.
dark.knight is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th March 2015, 18:26   #18
BHPian

Zest and Bolt are creating footfalls in Tata showrooms which are actually adding up numbers for Vista and Manza. So overall Tata is still growing with double digit growth rates. So I do not really consider Zest or Bolt will ever be a failure. They will help to bring in a steady growth. For Tatas from cost perspective also since Zest, Bolt, Vista and Manza are built on the same platform, overall growth will still give a boost to profitability.
Theyota is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2015, 18:39   #19
Senior - BHPian

Tata should boldly STOP selling Indica, Sumo how ever big "CURRENT" cash cows they are.

It reminds me of Satyams' Infamous CEO Rajus Statement to media "It was like riding a Tiger, not knowing how to get off it".

A simple balance sheet analysis to the naked eye would obvoiusly show Indica, Sumo and other old timers generate a lot of revenue, but only a deep-dive study from the likes of a Mega Consulting house like PWC, etc would reveal the damage those old models are causing to the newer and "Heavy on R&D/Launch" Models.

When will Tata ever wake up?

PS - Surely need a similar revamp to ALL their dealerships/Service centers also!
svsantosh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th March 2015, 18:49   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
(ranked 10 and lower) could make it the No. 3 company in India. You could be a laggard product manager at Maruti and your products still sell more than most other companies :]
Can't agree more. I guess its the easiest job out there. Show that even non performing products are selling more numbers than a few companies taken together and performance appraisals are done

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Sad to see the Zest doing so badly. I guess that Tata just wasted too much time in taking the necessary action at the time when competition was really running ahead of them. Hopefully if they consolidate on their after sales and reliability issues, gradually they can definitely see a change in the perception even with these small number of cars on the road. Also I think they should stop fiddling with the Nano brand now. the same).

I agree, and IMO when they are looking for a brand revival in the 'Indian market' especially, one single launch will not reap fortunes for them. Especially after the brand has performed terribly in the recent past. Hence, I feel that the future line of products will seal the fate of Tata Motors, either Upwards or downwards.

The Zest can't be called a flop, just that it isn't accepted well by people. Only its long term reliability will give some word of mouth publicity to prospective customers. Given the history of niggles associated with the brand, they should have focused on a no nonsense car without too many bells and whistles that can probably fail and regain the trust of people, before experimenting with a lot of equipment at one go.

The best makers to teach lessons in this regard are the Japanese and Hyundai. Companies like Maruti, Toyota, Honda and Hyundai were all the while very conservative with equipment however, the chance of a car needing to visit the service center apart from regular service was very rare. This is what is initially required for the market here. No doubt the kind of features, interiors etc provided on the Zest is way ahead of the competition, it still hasn't really struck the right chord I feel.

BTW, where are these Datsun Go+? Haven't seen one till date. Looks like it doubled their monthly sales
Old 4th March 2015, 19:13   #21
BHPian

The dispatches of DZire are down by around 2K - may be due to the release of the facelift.

But, what's happening with Tata models? I am surprised to see from the month on month table that Indigo+Manza has been consistently growing in sales while Zest is shrinking over past months.
nug1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2015, 19:59   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsidd View Post
The new i20 is a seriously eye-catching car (and I am speaking as a Punto owner). Not sure if that's the reason but it can't hurt. Plus it has generous internal space, both passenger and boot. I won't be surprised if the i20 is the main thing hurting Punto sales this time around. Possibly Polo sales too, which have dropped 11% this month and nearly 20% in two months. Those are the only comparable cars on the market -- the Swift is much smaller.
Agreed. Even for a self-confessed i20 hater - the new one is smashingly good looking and is quite nice to drive. That is more than what the aam aadmi wants.

mind you - I used to criticize the original version esp, it was not that good looking and wasnt involving to drive. The current version is much nicer that ways. In that sense, what does a Punto offer in comparison? incrementally better dynamics that the aam aadmi doesnt care about, while offering horrible resale and a questionable service experience. Even a completely non-automotive person like my wife has already suggested the i20 as a possible replacement to our swift, should we replace it with a hatch.

In that sense, what boggles my mind is why the Punto didnt come with the AMT like the Zest. The AMT atleast for the Celerio is a Magnetti Marelli product. It reminds me of the time the Vista gear shift felt nicer than the Punto's on launch (and the swift felt nicer than both).
phamilyman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th March 2015, 20:10   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
I don't get it , how is i20 managing to sell more than i10 and i10 grand in the B2 segment ?

Also in the D1 segment , Corolla is doing so well even with the likes of Jetta and Octavia around. Toyota sure is doing some magic

How does the i20 sell more? Coz People like me who make up their mind to go for the Punto get treated really badly by Fiat Sales Team, I really wanted to check out the Fiat Punto Evo; Step into the Fiat Caffe showroom and the Sales personnel at Fiat didn't even bother to either talk/greet a prospective customer. All they were bothered were to ensure that 4 cars were ready for delivery on Jan 15, 2015. Delivering 4 cars on a single day must really be a big feat for FIAT India. They couldn't even offer a TD, the Sales Manager offered excuses stating that the TD car was at the warehouse. Disappointed, I drove over to Vecto Motors on Hosur road, only to find to they were CLOSED for the day. Decided, that FIAT wasn't for me after all, drove to Trident Hyundai on Hosur road and test drove the Grand i10 Diesel and the Elite i20 Diesel cars, the Elite i20 with its looks and the 1.4CRDI motor was the clear choice, made a booking for the Elite i20 Sportz(O) Diesel variant, a waiting period of close to 45 days and the Vehicle was delivered on 26th Feb, 2015. The Sales team at Fiat and Tata really ought to learn a thing or two about making a Sale from either Maruti or Hyundai. Read an article yesterday which mentioned that the Fiat Caffe has been converted into a joint called CAR-O-BAR. The cars aren't selling, the team must've thought, "Ah, well; lets try our hand at some other business in parallel."
deepakr82 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th March 2015, 20:41   #24
BHPian

Why has the Mobilio and Terrano numbers gone down? Delivery related issues or lack of consumer interest? Duster manages to stick to its numbers with nay a growth or degrowth of note.
Old 4th March 2015, 21:58   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post

Now coming to Suzuki, I see mainly 2 things working in their favour - one being FMA or first mover advantage, i.e almost forming a gaadi matlab Maruti impression in the minds of consumers. Two being the vast network of service stations & garages trained to service Suzuki cars which reassures the public that their cars are in good hands anywhere........
Mostly, I agree. Indian's are mostly followers when it comes to car choices. We buy Maruti because my Dad's best friend or my friend's dad bought one. That makes us believe that Maruti is cheaper to maintain (Which is NOT true) and it gives better resale value (However, most car buyer's wont sell a Maruti for next 10 years). There is no study about what makes sense to their needs or what are good options otherwise. I have seen a family of 3 using Ertiga mostly for city commute!!!

That said, Maruti surely is cashing on which is smart!
TATA needs a few more good quality cars with aggressive (really aggressive..) pricing. Indian customer ask only 2 questions - Kitna deti hai? Maruti se sasti hai kya?
Old 4th March 2015, 21:59   #26
PGA
BHPian

I was wondering where is Isuzu? Why have they not been able to mark their presence, they have been around for few months now. One doesn't see any of their vehicle on the road also.
Old 4th March 2015, 22:17   #27
Senior - BHPian

Why not have rank average sales per dealership instead of absolute numbers ? MUL and HMIL will obviously skew all numbers.

Maybe if we look at average sales per dealership , the City P might figure in the top 3 petrol cars sold for sure.

Same way , if there js a separate ranking for average sales for diesel and petrol cars , the results will be totally different from we see now

Another way to look at sales would be to look at model ownership in cities where there are no dealerships present at all. Or maybe based on distance from dealership.
Old 4th March 2015, 22:39   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakr82 View Post
How does the i20 sell more? Coz People like me who make up their mind to go for the Punto get treated really badly by Fiat Sales Team, I really wanted to check out the Fiat Punto Evo
Fiat getting shunned by the market isn't surprising. Serves them right. When you aren't bothered with your current customers, how do you expect to earn the faith of the market?
I have owned a Punto for the past 3 years and all that I have experienced is harassment. It's not too long before Fiat decides to shut shop as they had done in the past.

Last edited by riturajsharma19 : 4th March 2015 at 22:51.
Old 4th March 2015, 22:52   #29
@KP
BHPian

I really love these MoM sales threads. Can we also look at the trends of automatic car sales and petrol vs. diesel car trends especially in B and C segments? This will give an indication of the buying trends in India
@KP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2015, 22:59   #30
BHPian

The most wanted thread is back. Great analysis as usual. No surprises with the numbers too. Maruti and Hyundai as usual lead. Honda City stands out specially considering the fact that Honda does not have the reach of Maruti and yet outsells Ciaz which is a good product in itself.

Fiat may as well stop selling cars altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Why not have rank average sales per dealership instead of absolute numbers ? MUL and HMIL will obviously skew all numbers.

Something similar http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...facturers.html (Average Sales / Dealership : Indian Car Manufacturers)
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread