Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 5th March 2015, 15:02   #46
BHPian

Default Re: February 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

I would like to add to the statistics with figures for segment-wise market share over a period of last month, 3 months and 6 months. These numbers give a fair picture of each vehicles market share within its own segment and whether they are gaining or losing. Plus the percentage market share and overall segment-wise sales are color-coded to reflect relative position.

Segmentation might not be perfect but I have done it to the best of my knowledge. I have left out some vehicles that have negligible impact in overall market share. Have also highlighted (in yellow) top 10 sellers for each month over the past six months. Hope this is helpful.

Click on an image to enlarge / zoom:
Attached Thumbnails
February 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-1.jpg  

February 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-2.jpg  

February 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-3.jpg  

February 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-4.jpg  

jessie007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th March 2015, 16:38   #47
BHPian

Dear Aditya,
Thanks for the most awaited post at the T-BHP forum. The story is familiar this month with MSIL dominating the auto industry sales with near 48% of market share.I think a lot of credit for this goes to Mr Bhargava, the unassuming chairman of MSIL. He has done tremendous service to the company and has made sure that MSIL has regained the ground it lost under Mr Khattar. With a slew of launches lined up, MSIL looks well positioned for future. Ciaz numbers will give lot of confidence to MSIL leaders.

I feel Tata Motors should immediately replace their entire marketing team for the ineffective marketing they have done for Zest. Their ad focuses on "Multi Drive" but not on the car and fails to connect with the audience resulting in poor sales. Would a 6 lac customer be more interested in multi-drive per se or in the answer of "kitna deti hai"? Contrast that to ad for Amaze which outlines Amazing India ke liye Amazing gaadi. They have a very good product probably better than the immediate competitor but lack of marketing is hitting the sales numbers.

Toyota continues its dominance in UV and D1 segments and Honda is a two product champion. Globally Honda is under lot of fire and recently the change of global CEO may lead to after effects in India as well.

I feel it is only a matter of time before shake up happens in the auto industry. With massive capital outlays small sales numbers for many players will lead to shutting of shops unless they come out with something unique and innovative quickly.
Old 5th March 2015, 19:18   #48
BHPian

RC Bhargava is the non-executive Chairman. The credit (and brickbats if any ) should primarily go to Mr. Kenichi Ayukawa, Managing Director & CEO who is actually running the company now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahnjpr View Post
Dear Aditya,
Thanks for the most awaited post at the T-BHP forum. The story is familiar this month with MSIL dominating the auto industry sales with near 48% of market share.I think a lot of credit for this goes to Mr Bhargava, the unassuming chairman of MSIL. He has done tremendous service to the company and has made sure that MSIL has regained the ground it lost under Mr Khattar.

Last edited by jetti : 5th March 2015 at 19:19. Reason: minor correction
jetti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2015, 20:18   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
the differences between a Hyundai in particular & its European rivals are narrowing down by the year, safety & quality as well as practicality/space are on par if not a bit more in a Hyundai. India's car market has grown only the past 5 years or so, the beginners want value, easy to locate service stations & reliable machines. Only after a few years of driving thousands of kilometres in varying traffic situations & experiencing different automobiles does one really become a driving-savant, for lack of a better term.
Sorry but by no sense of imagination the differences between a hyundai & its european counterparts is narrowing. The Koreans' idea of making cars is quite different from that of the euros & no it does not takes 'thousands of kms' to know what world of differences the 2 cars have. I've driven two of the most popular cars from the Hyundai stable the Verna & the i20 & both are utter nonsense in terms of driving when compared to say a Fiat or a Ford. My 225k run Palio rides better & much flatter than my 2014 Verna which in only 10k kms has started squeaking, it handles better is almost better on every count when it comes to driving be it stability or steering or whatever. The Verna's suspension is so soft, it basically crashes through every big pothole, there is a lot of vertical movement at the back that after about a 2 hour ride on an undulated highway the rear passengers start feeling nauseatic, coming to the space - the backseat has good legroom but the seat is placed so low that tall & elderly people just cant sit there for more than an hour. I can go on & on but one thing is for sure, Euro cars are anyday & everyday better than koreans or for that matter japs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Agreed. Even for a self-confessed i20 hater - the new one is smashingly good looking and is quite nice to drive. That is more than what the aam aadmi wants.

mind you - I used to criticize the original version esp, it was not that good looking and wasnt involving to drive. The current version is much nicer that ways. In that sense, what does a Punto offer in comparison? incrementally better dynamics that the aam aadmi doesnt care about, while offering horrible resale and a questionable service experience. Even a completely non-automotive person like my wife has already suggested the i20 as a possible replacement to our swift, should we replace it with a hatch.
The Punto offers timeless looks, the i20's design isn't going to last the test of time, much better driving experience, is a safer car(Punto is NCAP tested & IIRC the elite isnt) equally good number of features & in other parameters also a Punto is no less than an i20 be it practicality, FE, space etc.
Old 5th March 2015, 21:29   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimz View Post
Agree Vigkey, that first time buyers put in 8-9 Lakhs for a new car but what beats me is, one can get a sedan like the Amaze for a lesser price and for a lakh or so more one can get the City mid variant. The i20 Elite is in sedan territory in terms of pricing and yet sells in such huge numbers. Maybe am missing something!
Oh come on Nimz, Feature set and interior quality of i20 and Amaze are at the two extremes of the plot. So no comparison there. Coming to City, I agree you can buy a City for the money you spend on an i20. But for the same feature set, you will have to shell some 3 lakhs more. So one who is willing to spend the extra will go for a City and one who wants a real premium car for under 10 L goes for an i20. That is my view.
Vigkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2015, 23:28   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity0114 View Post
Sorry but by no sense of imagination the differences between a hyundai & its european counterparts is narrowing... I can go on & on but one thing is for sure, Euro cars are anyday & everyday better than koreans or for that matter japs
We have owned Hyundai cars since 2007 and quality and aspirational value of their cars is ever improving. I am not sure why it is not evident to you.
You choose ride quality over everything else.
From my personal experience, once I sat inside a Punto of a friend. Instantly fell in love and thought that this was the car I would buy. Two year fast forward, I again met my friend. The car sounded no better than a refined tractor. The dream was shattered. Even today, whole of my street gets to know when the Punto guy starts for his office. Inside my 6 year old pre owned Getz (Gasoline) , its hard to tell if car is idling unless you pay specific attention, inside or outside.
Fiat must be good. That's why they have fans like you. But Hyundai are closing gaps with western cars in every segment, quality wise, although not character wise.
atnyia is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th March 2015, 10:10   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
But for the same feature set, you will have to shell some 3 lakhs more. So one who is willing to spend the extra will go for a City and one who wants a real premium car for under 10 L goes for an i20. That is my view.
And if someone wants most of these premium features under 8L and still get a boot (if they really care), they go for Zest
Old 6th March 2015, 10:42   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnyia View Post
We have owned Hyundai cars since 2007 and quality and aspirational value of their cars is ever improving. I am not sure why it is not evident to you.
You choose ride quality over everything else.
From my personal experience, once I sat inside a Punto of a friend. Instantly fell in love and thought that this was the car I would buy. Two year fast forward, I again met my friend. The car sounded no better than a refined tractor. The dream was shattered. Even today, whole of my street gets to know when the Punto guy starts for his office. Inside my 6 year old pre owned Getz (Gasoline) , its hard to tell if car is idling unless you pay specific attention, inside or outside.
Fiat must be good. That's why they have fans like you. But Hyundai are closing gaps with western cars in every segment, quality wise, although not character wise.

If you re-read my post you'll come to know about what other aspects I have talked about other than ride quality. Verna's backseat is placed low, under thigh support is non existent & windows are placed high all of which makes it a place you wont want to be in. At speeds of above 100kmph it feels boaty & the car feels reluctant to change lanes if I may call that, the level of confidence at such speeds is not where one would like to push it further so there you go the engine is great, performance is great but you just cant drive it at expressway speeds with confidence so there is no use to have 128 horses under the hood. And I dont think a "quality" car should start squeaking in under 10k kms.

I cant comment about your friend's punto or how well he has kept it that after 2 years it sounds like a "refined tractor" because quite frequently I havent come across a Punto which sounds like anything of that sort. And I never said I was a Fiat fan, I was comparing the 2 cars I own & the fact that from what I know & have experienced Euro cars are several notches above asian cars when it comes to core fundamentals of a car i.e driving, build quality & how well a car ages. I think you should stop judging people on a public forum that too by mere a post
Old 6th March 2015, 11:58   #54
BHPian

I in fact prefer a large hatch to a sedan. It's much more convenient to transport bulky stuff - by lowering the backrest of the rear seat you can transport large furniture, a bicycle, a piano-sized organ (I have done all of the above in the Punto). And for regular vacations the boot space of the Punto is big enough for a family of 3, and the i20's is even bigger. If I were in the market I'd certainly prefer the i20 to a City at the same price point.
Old 6th March 2015, 12:50   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
the differences between a Hyundai in particular & its European rivals are narrowing down by the year, safety & quality as well as practicality/space are on par if not a bit more in a Hyundai.

We have many Skoda fans here in the forum, I'm surprised no one mentions one thing that contributed to its failure. The Laura & Fabia when first launched in India had enough features in them to crush any car in sight - Laura launched with 6 airbags, ESP, EBD, front & rear park assist, 5 alloys etc and Fabia too had full front arm-rest, sunroof, integrated 6" screen etc. May I also say the first Laura was stunning as was the Fabia, the face-lifts became all straight-lines-most-boring to look at & removed half the features while prices were hiked. The entry of VW killed Skoda in my honest opinion. Neither ever had an efficient, friendly service network either
Having had the experience of 3 Hyundais (Accent, i20 [1st generation] & Fluidic Verna, all owned & used by my Dad) at home over different periods, I can say with confidence that the Accents were better built than the present day i20s & Vernas. i20 was taken by Dad at the time when Punto was launched and he had looked at both. The brittle build and the cheap materials used were pointed out before the purchase decision was made. However, he decided on i20 considering for the accessibility for Hyundai service and re-sale value. However, within 5 months of purchase of i20, he vouched for my concerns about the longevity of the car as numerous squeaks, rattles, steering issues etc. started coming in.

When Fluidic Verna came, Dad thought about replacing i20. After having detailed look at the new Verna, I told him that it's only an i20 with bigger engine and different shape/ proportions, but the quality remained the same. The exchange value for i20 was also low and one guy had the guts to tell Dad that the value is low considering that 1st generation i20s had quality issues. However, he went ahead with Fluidic Verna and the story is that it was soon replaced after he realized that its only a grown-up i20 in every aspect. People here would know how Verna is still in terms of durability/ responsiveness/ long-ride comfort/ handling/ stability etc.

European cars on the other hand had been built very heavily and personally, I had been using Fabia for over 6 years. Comparison between Hyundai or Europeans can be unfair as Hyundai has not been able to match the build-quality/ handling or class offered by Europeans even now. Hyundai can't be compared even with Ford for its build-quality/ handling. I can say this as I used Ecosport.

For that matter, even Japanese (Honda) can't be compared to Europeans as even the City, if you compare side-by-side with the Europeans come out very distant only in terms of sturdiness/ handling.
Honda always had a premium feel and a 'Value' and I guess most of customers are going on for the 'Value' of Honda overlooking the other aspects. But then, this 'Value' also has an incredible fuel-efficiency for Petrol engines and reliability. Let me be frank that it was the 'Value' that made me buy an City (CVT) recently as I needed one. Yet I can't stop comparing Honda to Skoda/ Ford in terms of driveability/ tank like build qualities

Ofcourse, I did have some niggles with Skoda service. But, the car as such was/ is a gem and it never gave me any troubles. Had only one outing to Ford service so far and it was satisfactory. Honda - not yet time for first service. These are my personal opinions based on extensive driving and no way meant to oppress others views.
Old 6th March 2015, 13:22   #56
BHPian

Trinity, I am sorry definitely but I didn't judge you. Let me rephrase. I don't like Fiat cars but they must be good if so many knowledgeable people are fans/appreciative of the automobile.
Discussing Asian versus American/European car philosophies is OT.
I agree that Verna is not a good car.
But whether they are closing gap with European cars is a different question. I test drove Elite I20 and I think they are getting there. Even if they are not, there is enough incremental progress.
Old 6th March 2015, 17:24   #57
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
I don't get it , how is i20 managing to sell more than i10 and i10 grand in the B2 segment ?
The i20 gives you terrific space, a good diesel engine and great VFM for the premium price it sells at. It's main advantage over the Polo is a good ASS and the main advantage over swift is space. Hence, i20 is the best premium hatchback in India.
The game maybe stepped up by the Jazz.

Quote:
Also in the D1 segment , Corolla is doing so well even with the likes of Jetta and Octavia around. Toyota sure is doing some magic

Simple, no one wants to spend too much time and money on maintenance. The Japanese corolla is simply too reliable.
D4D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2015, 18:30   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimz View Post
Agree Vigkey, that first time buyers put in 8-9 Lakhs for a new car but what beats me is, one can get a sedan like the Amaze for a lesser price and for a lakh or so more one can get the City mid variant. The i20 Elite is in sedan territory in terms of pricing and yet sells in such huge numbers. Maybe am missing something!
Would I buy a compromised sub 4m sedan like the Xcent or the Amaze vs a fully loaded hatch back for similar money? Heck no. Give me the futuristic feature laden elite i20 anyday.

The Amaze is one step down and the Xcent is just a boot attached to a lower segment grand i10 hatch.

It's good to see this mentality changing and people opting for the hatch over the sub 4m sedan.

Moreover in my opinion, the Amaze, Xcent and Dzire can barely be called sedans. We love our boots and manufacturers are exploiting that by adding a small so called boot to the B1 segment hatch but charge B2 hatch money.

In actual reality, the hatch is more expensive to make due to the addition of rear wash/wipe and struts for opening closing. The sedan just has a simple spring.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 6th March 2015 at 18:31.
Vid6639 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th March 2015, 18:50   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
In actual reality, the hatch is more expensive to make due to the addition of rear wash/wipe and struts for opening closing. The sedan just has a simple spring.

None of the products are priced as per their manufacturing costs, they are priced as per the market demand.

TATA priced the Zest closer to its manufacturing costs to gain an edge over the competition, but they lost out heavily when the Bolt was priced accordingly. Indians might / might not pay 1L premium for a sedan against its equivalent hatchback, but they won't buy a hatch if it's priced just 30k less than a sedan.

Same goes for the hatchback converted so-called SUVs and MUVs as well.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2015, 19:05   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
I don't get it , how is i20 managing to sell more than i10 and i10 grand in the B2 segment ?

Also in the D1 segment , Corolla is doing so well even with the likes of Jetta and Octavia around. Toyota sure is doing some magic
You know, I was never a fan of the I20 ever, but the current one got my heart racing when it saw it first. It has absolutely EVERYTHING a hatchback customer is looking for. Hyundai have outdone themselves with the I20, the game has changed so drastically for Hyundai now, with every launch the exceptions and bars are going to be higher for them to beat.

The current I 20 in its diesel avatar drives well, feels so spacious, is so well equipped and built, I would pick that over the Amaze any part and time of the day and this is not just me talking, but so many people around I know have picked up the I20 when they were looking for a sub 4 meter car like Amaze or Dzire. That's a feat I 20 has achieved to steal cars from a different segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Agreed. Even for a self-confessed i20 hater - the new one is smashingly good looking and is quite nice to drive. That is more than what the aam aadmi wants.

mind you - I used to criticize the original version esp, it was not that good looking and wasnt involving to drive. The current version is much nicer that ways. In that sense, what does a Punto offer in comparison? incrementally better dynamics that the aam aadmi doesnt care about, while offering horrible resale and a questionable service experience. Even a completely non-automotive person like my wife has already suggested the i20 as a possible replacement to our swift, should we replace it with a hatch.

In that sense, what boggles my mind is why the Punto didnt come with the AMT like the Zest. The AMT atleast for the Celerio is a Magnetti Marelli product. It reminds me of the time the Vista gear shift felt nicer than the Punto's on launch (and the swift felt nicer than both).
Hahah, my dad told me the same thing when it came to buying another car, A white I 20 Elite Diesel, then Maruti came up with the IK2 launch pictures and suddenly the heart got back to Maruti.

True about the AMT version of the Punto.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread