Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 6th March 2015, 19:57   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: February 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi
Top 5 brands in the world like Toyota, VW, GM, Ford, Nissan are not in top 5 in India. These companies are not so serious about India is clear now.
It is not correct to say they are not serious. Esp. Toyota & Ford who are doing pretty good in their own right in the segments they play in - not fair to compare with Suzuki directly whose major volumes are in the lower segments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi
Ciaz posted impressive numbers again. They sold more than 27 K cars in first 6 months, impressive start i must say.
Looks like the Ciaz will finally exorcize the ghosts of the Baleno/SX4 failures (failure being used in a relative sense vis-a-vis the other Maruti best-sellers). The car is a looker and I see many new ones on the roads. And the clincher came when a colleague who hates Maruti cars said that he thinks the Ciaz is a good car. And this just by external looks - he has not driven one or seen one up close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight
coming to Suzuki, I see mainly 2 things working in their favour - one being FMA or first mover advantage, i.e almost forming a gaadi matlab Maruti impression in the minds of consumers. Two being the vast network of service stations & garages trained to service Suzuki cars which reassures the public that their cars are in good hands anywhere.
While 2nd thing is indeed a valid reason (who does not like the reassurance provided by a wide service network), the FMA thing is now long in the tooth. They shipped their first car in 1983, more than 30 years ago. To say that they are the market leader due to being first off the block 3 decades ago is over-simplyfying it. They understand the market and deliver what the market wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian
There is no study about what makes sense to their needs or what are good options otherwise. I have seen a family of 3 using Ertiga mostly for city commute!!!
That is a big assumption you made about folks that drive home 50% of India's cars monthly. People do more research than you think while putting money on a car / home. And regarding the Ertiga thing, not sure what is the big deal there? The Ertiga is a hatchback stretched a bit to add a 3rd row, without a significant increase in weight/dimensions. If a 3-pax family can drive around a Swift, there isn't really no difference if it were an Ertiga. I see guys using Innovas / Xylos / Fortuners as a primarily work-home commuter, which in comparison seems daft to me, but am sure they have their reasons - so would not go so far as to say that they did not do their research.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2015, 20:36   #62
BHPian

Thank You Mr. Aditya for such a detailed analysis. Some of my musings-

1. Where is the Premier Rio? Or rather are they selling any vehicles at all!

2. The Verito vibe has not sold in good numbers since its launch. It is still lagging behind.

3. The Xcent has failed as a potential challenger to the Dzire. Looks like no other compact sedan will ever be able to beat the Dzire.

4. The Beat is not selling! Chevy must plonk the 4-cylinder Diesel motor in the Beat. Otherwise they cannot beat the Ritz-its chief competitor.

5. The Gypsy is selling in good numbers! Yet I have never come across a brand new gypsy on the road!

6. The swift is yet to face a serious competitor. The Punto Evo has disappointed again. A few months after the launch, it has started selling in measly numbers.

7. The Ciaz has received a very warm welcome from Indian car buyers. Looks like the City and Vento have to improvise their products.

8. Ford is slowly plummeting again. The Figo was once being portrayed as a serious competitor to the Swift.

9. Datsun's poor performance indicates that people value quality more and you can no longer sell a car solely on the basis of a low cost price.

10. The Omni and Eeco sell in good numbers! I thought no one bought them because you never find an Omni or an Eeco at a Maruti showroom.
Old 6th March 2015, 22:21   #63
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
It's good to see this mentality changing and people opting for the hatch over the sub 4m sedan.
Yeah! It's good to see a different mentality emerge. The currently prevalent one (that manufacturers take advantage of) can be traced back to the 1980s when hatches were synonymous with the M800 and sedans with the Amby, Padmini etc.

Are we getting closer and closer to the day when large Euro family hatches (in the class of the Focus, Golf, Megane, 3, Astra, Pulsar etc.) begin to grace Indian roads?

Maybe Hyundai should take the lead in exploring this new avenue by introducing a decently specced, fully loaded i30 here. Who knows, they may be pleasantly surprised by the market response (similar to i20 over 5 years ago).
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2015, 14:26   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Yeah! It's good to see a different mentality emerge. The currently prevalent one (that manufacturers take advantage of) can be traced back to the 1980s when hatches were synonymous with the M800 and sedans with the Amby, Padmini etc.

Are we getting closer and closer to the day when large Euro family hatches (in the class of the Focus, Golf, Megane, 3, Astra, Pulsar etc.) begin to grace Indian roads?

Maybe Hyundai should take the lead in exploring this new avenue by introducing a decently specced, fully loaded i30 here. Who knows, they may be pleasantly surprised by the market response (similar to i20 over 5 years ago).
Indian situation any case is closer to Europe. Narrower driveways, less parking and expensive fuels. Ideally speaking, hatches should have been always preferred over sedans, and especially those with performance no better than hatch but have all inconveniences associated with sedans. No surprise that hatches have the lion's share of cars sold in India.

If still a sedan is preferred over equivalent or better hatch, most of the time it is due to status it brings. And since India is a vast country unlike most European ones, a boot during highway drive is a plus, though not a significant one. The grand success of i20-Elite is accompanied with market performance of Polo/Punto/Jazz, so unlikely that anytime soon Euro family hatches start hitting Indian market.
rsm97 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2015, 20:38   #65
BHPian

Grand I 10 numbers have gone up and they sell almost 45 percent of swift . If hyundai does some more cosmetics it may be a threat to swift .I 20 doing good as usual . Keeping the 5th place intact for 3 months in a row.
abkett is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2015, 21:38   #66
BHPian

How is Volkswagen still registering Passat sales, also from where did that 1 Touareg appear in January 2015?!?!
Old 7th March 2015, 21:49   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599gto View Post
How is Volkswagen still registering Passat sales, also from where did that 1 Touareg appear in January 2015?!?!
I did query Aditya on this. I will quote his words here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
They must be having some inventory at their plant. I was about to remove the Touareg and Passat from our list, but retained them since cars are still being shipped out.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2015, 00:35   #68
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abkett View Post
Grand I 10 numbers have gone up and they sell almost 45 percent of swift.
The Grand i10 is an excellent car, and one that hits the "sweet spot" (almost exactly what most customers look for) in its sub-segment, much like its sibling (Elite i20).

The new i20 consistently sells more than the Grand i10 for Hyundai, despite being from a sub-segment above. Why? This is despite the Grand i10 having two petrol engine options (including the 1.0 Kappa LPGi) and an automatic option as well.

IMHO, it's mainly because of Hyundai's better variant strategy with the Elite i20. The Grand i10 only needs a variant rejig to scale greater heights on the monthly sales chart.

These are the changes I think they should be making:

1) Let there be only four variants - Era, Magna, Sportz & Asta {by making the Asta(O)'s features standard on the Asta}.

2) Increase the profile of the tyres while retaining the 14" wheels, to enhance the sidewall cushioning effect and to increase GC by a few mm. Let the Era & Magna variants come with 165/70R14 tyres, and the Sportz & Asta with wider 175/65R14 shoes (instead of the 165/65R14 ones that are the only size now).

3) Spread out the safety features - Era & Magna need (at least) a driver airbag, Sportz needs driver airbag & ABS and Asta should get 2 airbags & ABS {no need for an Asta(O) variant}.

4) Let the petrol Era & Magna variants come with the 1.0 lit. 69 PS engine (including the factory-fitted LPGi options). Sportz & Asta can retain the 1.2 lit. 83 PS engine. All diesel variants can have the 1.1 lit. CRDi engine, but should sport the Xcent's 72 PS state of tune (a different turbo resulting in an extra 1 PS & 2 kgm).

5) The automatic gearbox needs to be offered as an option on both the 1.2 lit. Sportz & Asta variants.

6) Height adjustable front neck restraints need to be made standard across the range. Sportz and Asta should also get rear height adjustable neck restraints, along with a 60:40 split folding facility.

7) Additional goodies such as LED DRLs (from the new European i10), auto-locking doors, a driver arm-rest, reverse camera & electro-chromic IRVM can be offered on the Sportz and Asta variants to further enhance their appeal.

This is not asking for the moon. By just making a few such simple variant adjustments and providing a couple of additional features, the Grand i10 can easily sell 14k ~ 16k units a month for Hyundai.

Last edited by RSR : 8th March 2015 at 00:45.
Old 8th March 2015, 12:25   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajisv View Post
And if someone wants most of these premium features under 8L and still get a boot (if they really care), they go for Zest
Seriously Balaji?? But I dont think so. Premium features are not enough, the image of the brand is also important. Tata is still does not have a great image in public. The reliability issues + niggles + A.S.S etc are still in people's minds. That is the ONLY reason why Zest is selling in 2ks and i20 in 10ks. I dont say the perception is the reality. But till the day the perception exists, it will be impossible for Tata to make the impact a Hyundai does. Tata has to do something to change the image. Till then a majority with 5-10L to buy a car will look at Hyundai or Honda.

I repeat - Launch the Zest with a Hyundai badge, it would have sold some 10k per month.
Vigkey is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2015, 20:57   #70
BHPian

does anyone have a legit information on why the Mahindra Thar numbers are not being reported for close to a year now. By this I mean the company not sharing its sales figures.

If i remember correctly the last time Thar sales were reported was March 2014
Old 9th March 2015, 11:33   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
It is not correct to say they are not serious. Esp. Toyota & Ford who are doing pretty good in their own right in the segments they play in - not fair to compare with Suzuki directly whose major volumes are in the lower segments.
Sorry but i don't agree with you. Not sure what exactly Toyota is doing which you are talking about. They are No 1 company in the world and they should show that by launching world class cars here. They mainly exists in India due to Innova right now which is a success but mainly as a luxury cab i.e. in commercial segment. They don't have anything special for common people in India within 4-8 Lacs price bracket. Etios twins are there but nothing much to talk about it. Sales numbers just shows that. They have Fortuner and Corolla but those are in higher price band, so limited volumes. I am not comparing them with Suzuki but i can compare them with Hyundai and Honda which are equally old like Toyota. They are doing many good things unlike Toyota. At least they are trying their best.

As far as Ford is concerned, its even worse i guess. Currently they sell only EcoSport mainly. That too they are happy with export more. Fiesta has become a joke now. It hardly sells. Many people don't even know about new Fiesta. I know their cars are good in many ways but they are not doing anything. Why can't they launch few more models at affordable price? Why can't they improve on A.S.S. and network?

My logic is simple, if you are a world class company, show it to us. Launch products which will justify that. I guess in this regard German trio of Merc, BMW and Audi are doing great. They are living up to their mark in India. They are giving world class products to Indian customers like they give elsewhere in the world. People in India buying them too !!! If they can do it why not others like Toyota, VW, Ford, GM and Nissan is my question.
aniketi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 12:48   #72
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
As far as Ford is concerned, its even worse i guess. Currently they sell only EcoSport mainly. That too they are happy with export more. Fiesta has become a joke now. It hardly sells. Many people don't even know about new Fiesta. I know their cars are good in many ways but they are not doing anything. Why can't they launch few more models at affordable price?
Isn't that exactly what they're going to do very soon with the launch of the new Figo Aspire (compact sedan) and new Figo hatchback? Their new plant in Gujarat is going to begin serial production this month (refer to this link). So the Figo Aspire can be expected to hit the market next month, with the hatchback to follow some months later.

Last edited by RSR : 9th March 2015 at 12:56.
Old 9th March 2015, 13:02   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Isn't that exactly what they're going to do very soon with the launch of the new Figo Aspire (compact sedan) and new Figo hatchback? Their new plant in Gujarat is going to begin serial production this month. So the Figo Aspire can be expected to hit the market next month, with the hatchback to follow some months later.
Not really. They are going to replace existing Figo with new model and sub four meter CS for the same. New Figo looks okay okay only and nothing exciting about it. CS model will struggle to compete with New DZire, Amaze, Zest and Xcent as i don't see any particular USP in that car. It will be very difficult for Ford to get market share there. New Figo hatchback is good, not great for sure and will easily get lost in the crowded hatchback market in India. It will struggle to compete with cars like Swift, Grand i10 etc. I can see Figo twins to become market duds after honeymoon period is over. Ford should think of launching something game changing like they done with EcoSport. When other companies having more than 4-5 models doing well in market, company like Ford playing with only 1 main model in market doesn't look good.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 13:19   #74
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
New Figo looks okay okay only and nothing exciting about it. CS model will struggle to compete with New DZire, Amaze, Zest and Xcent as i don't see any particular USP in that car. It will be very difficult for Ford to get market share there. New Figo hatchback is good, not great for sure and will easily get lost in the crowded hatchback market in India. It will struggle to compete with cars like Swift, Grand i10 etc. I can see Figo twins to become market duds after honeymoon period is over.
The cars haven't even been launched, no one in India (outside Ford & associated companies, of course) has driven them or even got to sit in them (unless they happened to drive the hatch in Brazil), and you're already dismissing them as potential market duds. This isn't fair, aniketi.

The EcoSport's success has shown that models developed by Ford do Brasil have the potential to succeed in countries like India, even if they happen to sell poorly in Europe.

As for USP, Ford only need to plonk in the EcoBoost engine (even in 100 PS guise, if not 125 PS) into the new Figo twins, and they will instantly become the most fun-to-drive cars in their respective segments (given Ford's traditional strengths in the ride, handling & steering departments).

IMHO, after the launch of the new Figo twins, I think Ford's monthly sales will jump from 5k~8k units a month to at least 10k+ units a month, catapulting them into a potential top-5 position.

Last edited by RSR : 9th March 2015 at 13:44.
Old 10th March 2015, 02:18   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
Seriously Balaji?? But I dont think so. Premium features are not enough, the image of the brand is also important. Tata is still does not have a great image in public. The reliability issues + niggles + A.S.S etc are still in people's minds. That is the ONLY reason why Zest is selling in 2ks and i20 in 10ks. I dont say the perception is the reality. But till the day the perception exists, it will be impossible for Tata to make the impact a Hyundai does. Tata has to do something to change the image. Till then a majority with 5-10L to buy a car will look at Hyundai or Honda.

I repeat - Launch the Zest with a Hyundai badge, it would have sold some 10k per month.
Every person evaluates their purchase options and buys a car which he/she feels is the right value for money spent!

Points you mentioned about Tata are due to people who are not ready to evaluate or accept the change over!
They need to experience the change. And I did see the change personally.

I own a Zest Revotron XT, purchased in Jan.
My entire buying experience, sales team follow up and closure, service center support (have had 2 visits for an ECU update and Harman system update) have been brilliant! It's no way less compared to my Swift VDi purchase experience 5 yrs back!!

The Zest has been a perfect upgrade to my Swift VDi, in every aspect!
Closed Thread