Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 18th March 2015, 12:00   #31
BHPian

Default re: Next-gen Skoda Fabia: Will it come to India?

Skoda within India may be considered to be a premium car maker, but worldwide opinions vary. Recently I was having a discussion with colleagues from Korea & the Netherlands about cars, it was generally stated Skoda is a cheap car brand. Whereas for VW and Audi the brand perception is same across countries.

I for one used to be fan of Skoda's but after reading countless horror stories from users around the world, I do have to ask how can a car maker not get its act together and give a quality product and service.
heydj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2015, 12:22   #32
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Next-gen Skoda Fabia: Will it come to India?

Guys,

Unfortunately, the money control article is off the mark.

I just spoke to a Skoda spokesperson. As of now, there are no concrete plans to launch the Fabia in India. Of course, Skoda is 'evaluating' the premium hatchback segment, but that's what all manufacturers do on a continuous basis. There's nothing newsworthy in that.

Thread title has been suitably edited.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2015, 12:51   #33
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Unfortunately, the money control article is off the mark.
Well I just saw a interview on Overdrive with Skoda MD Mr. Sudhir Rao where he definitely concluded that they were seriously looking to get the Fabia back to India in its new iteration.
dkaile is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2015, 14:10   #34
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Well I just saw a interview on Overdrive with Skoda MD Mr. Sudhir Rao where he definitely concluded that they were seriously looking to get the Fabia back to India in its new iteration.
Correct. The Skoda spokesperson mentioned that video interview (on which the moneycontrol article was based).

He said that Sudhir stated 'yes, we are evaluating the premium hatchback segment'...something on those lines.

Got a link to that video you are talking about?

I'm pretty sure the Fabia won't be here for the next 2 years atleast. Who knows after that? Anything longer is impossible to predict. Most manufacturers don't know their own product plans for 2018.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2015, 14:37   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
What
It should remember that Skodas are for people who can't afford VWs are for people who can't afford Audi...
And what about those who can't afford Skoda? I think the VAG group needs to buy out TATA to have an answer to this question

Skoda's flagship cars like Octavia and Superb have consistently outsold the Jetta and Passat in India not because they were cheaper, but because customers perceived them to be better cars!

It because of this pecking order non sense that VW is stubborn enough not to dole out lower and mid variants of the Jetta TDI DSG. And where is the 1.8 TSI Jetta MT or DSG? or the Passat 1.8 TSI DSG for that matter!

About the Fabia, I don't think it makes sense to bring this car to India. The Polo itself is struggling to hold its own against Asian competition.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 18th March 2015 at 14:40.
Santoshbhat is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2015, 15:53   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakhar1998 View Post
I would say that is a very ignorant comment. Skoda has time and again proven that its cars on the same platform can be and are better than VW.
It is a comment informed by fifty years in London/UK. You don't go to the Skoda showroom if you can afford the VW models. And you don't go there if you could afford Audi.

There was a time when VW became quite worried by the competition of Skoda offering essentially the same vehicles, but with better specs, better accessories, and more extras (hey, they provided an umbrella with one car!) at the same or lesser prices. Always attractive to a shrewd buyer, however wealthy, but please don't confuse this with Skoda having a higher "luxury" image than VW within the VAG group. They didn't and they don't.
Quote:
I hate when this brand image bias comes into play in the car world. It is actually disappointing. This is the reason excellent brands like Hyundai, Skoda and Seat are unable to gather the market share they deserve worldwide.
It's all marketing. And, by the way, I think India would be a great market for Seat, but they don't seem interested

Quote:
Luckily in India, this image of Skoda as a cheaper brand is not prevalent. The Superb in India, unlike in places like UK, outsells the Passat by a large margin. Even the Laura sold better than the Jetta.
It's not luck, it's marketing, and it's easy when Skoda happens to be first on the scene in a market where there wasn't any competition for the kind of vehicles it was selling. Obviously, in so doing, they grabbed some brand loyalty which is sticking.

Quote:
If we consider globally, brands like Hyundai, Skoda and Seat are outsold by more "premium" brands because they have better reputation. Honda, Toyota outsell Hyundai because it is Korean and has the image of being cheap.
Sure. That's what "premium" is all about. Is an Audi that much better than the equivalent VW? A little more comfort and a lot more image is all.

None of this makes Skoda bad cars. With decent after-sales, etc, they could very well represent better value for money than their siblings, but not if they try to get out of their place in the Volkswagen/Audi/Group.

Volkswagen is the boss: they may try to place Skoda in a higher position in India, but many of us will call them out if they do.

Quote:
Skodas are not for people who can't afford VWs.
Sorry, but yes, they are.
Quote:
Its for people who chose something different.
But they are not different. Or not all anyway: Fabia, the car under discussion here, is just another implementation of Polo.
Quote:
Perhaps something better and more value.
Better, probably not. Better value, certainly --- but that places them where I said; value-for-money cars!
Quote:
People who buy Superbs don't buy it because they don't have the money to spend on Passat. Its because they find the car better and more value.
Not everyone with money in the bank wants to spend it all on a car, and better value for money is something I don't argue with: I've said the same. That's where they are and should be.

It's not as if I'm trying to accuse Skoda of being cheap! Far from it. There are a lot of things that people might buy because they can't afford Skoda!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2015, 14:09   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Skodas are for people who can't afford VWs are for people who can't afford Audi...
and that is exactly what VW wants us to believe. But wise men who know cars and don't care more about the badge than the machine itself know where to plonk their wealth without being exploited by marketing gimmicks.
ajaypjayaraj is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2015, 15:00   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Here in India, apparently, it is what they don't want us to believe.

I hate to play the age card (and sincerely wish I couldn't ) but some of us actually remember Skoda as a rubbish E-European brand that many buyers would have been ashamed to own and that truly was the butt of comedians (How do you double the value of a Skoda? Put petrol in the tank.)

VAG picked them up and made them a real brand again, but sub VW. This is history, real history. I can't help it if Skoda/VAG's marketing of a decade ago, which was Skoda-centric because they only had Skoda here, has made some people believe otherwise. Those who do are the ones who have fallen for the marketing gimmicks.

If Skoda gives us better value-for-money cars than VW, lets buy them, but if they think they can continue to sell their name as premium, they are crazy. Or perhaps not, according to some people here.

Remember: It is all VAG. VAG holds the reins, VAG will determine how its subsidiaries are presented/marketed/priced/sold.

And in the end, it's all marketing gimmicks.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2015, 16:36   #39
BHPian

Yep. Just look at the cars. It is all that takes to understand that the cars are exactly the same with very little change. Same engines, same spare parts be it suspension or electronic modules, same everything with slightly different styling and of course the pricing. It's no brainer at least when it comes to the cars offered today under VAG that it is all the same. So if Skoda Offers a better package (as in the combination of engine, suspension and features), people buy that and vice versa. Affordability really does not play a role between these cousins as the difference isn't enough for it to matter. In fact I believe Octavia is priced above the Jetta in India. There are still takers for Octavia, but it is suffering from lower sales because there is hardly any supply. In the recent past, the way VW put brakes on supply of Skoda cars is obviously effecting the sales. Skoda jokes are a thing of the past and today when you get identical cars with different badges, any jokes on Skoda would naturally be on VW too. Other than the badge, is there any change between VW and Skoda as of today. I believe not.

Skoda should just focus on quality of the service they provide to match their product. It takes time to re-build a reputation but their product has the potential.

I am a person who could afford Octavia, Jetta or A3 and I agree to that statement of affordability being the reason for choosing Skoda over VW only as a marketing Gimmick by VW sales guys, otherwise it sounds pretty dumb.
ajaypjayaraj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2015, 19:03   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Here in India, apparently, it is what they don't want us to believe.

And in the end, it's all marketing gimmicks.
To call this just marketing gimmick is a hyperbole.

In India, there hasn't been any affinity with Eastern Europe. So, that kind of history is notwithstanding at all.

So, when VW arrives, Skoda already has got a name for itself despite not many knowing that it is a VAG brand. A VAG brand which is supposed to be not so premium!!
For us, it is premium because the main competitors are Suzuki and Hyundai.

It'll have first mover advantage over VW when VW clearly isn't a luxury brand.

During my first job, some of footballs lovers used to get offended if one called Manchester United as MAN-U in the shortened form. Apparently, MAN-U has also got some history in Europe. OT example, but I found no logic why people should act like Europeans when not too many are aware, forget even being part, of that history.
atnyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2015, 19:11   #41
Senior - BHPian

The Skoda Brand sells quite well in the UK - at least, a lot of people appreciated the Skoda Octy of the 2000-2010 model range. Especially the "Estate" version.

In India, the brand had no history and as someone rightly said, these vehicles will look very attractive when compared with the likes of Suzuki, Honda, Hyundai and Toyota - just because they feel more solid and have the "European Cachet".

A sensible, price + quality conscious person would weigh the options of Skoda versus VW vs Audi and pick what he/ she can afford and/ or perceives as "good value for money".

I believe myself to be one such person and bought the Yeti. I never fail to tease my friend who owns an Audi Q3 - always telling him that hey, I got the same package (more or less) for half the price, though mine is of a different Brand.

I don't subscribe to "brand snobbery" but I do trust brands overall because the concept of a "brand" is that it stands for a certain "stamp of quality" and "predictability" in terms of consumer experience. So far, thankfully, no worries on that score.

Added to this, I very much liked the Top Gear video of the Skoda Yeti in 2011 and that, in no mean measure, contributed to my decision to buy one...
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2015, 22:50   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

The best possible reason for buying Skoda. Along with many others, I love the Yeti: it is out of my budget, regardless of where in the VAG hierarchy it comes.

Quote:
A sensible, price + quality conscious person would weigh the options of Skoda versus VW vs Audi and pick what he/ she can afford and/ or perceives as "good value for money".
Yep. That's Skoda value. or should be. Those who think it is more premium than VW are welcome to buy it for that reason too: Skoda certainly won't turn you away! It's your money.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2015, 06:49   #43
Senior - BHPian

Three and a half years into my purchase of the Yeti, I have not done many miles because I simply have become very busy at work. I ve barely hit 29K Kms in it and it still feels like it is brand new.
However, the car never fails to make me happy each time I get into it and drive it, even to so prosaic a place as office.
Its a great vehicle and serves my purpose admirably.
So far, the brand has been good to me, so I m not cribbing. All going well, I d like to keep this vehicle for the foreseeable future. Not looking to spend more money and upgrading etc for atleast another couple of years...hopefully, I will be able to hold on to this vehicle for a longer period and continue to enjoy it as the classic, first gen Yeti.

Quote:
The best possible reason for buying Skoda. Along with many others, I love the Yeti: it is out of my budget, regardless of where in the VAG hierarchy it comes.

Yep. That's Skoda value. or should be. Those who think it is more premium than VW are welcome to buy it for that reason too: Skoda certainly won't turn you away! It's your money.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2015, 17:32   #44
BHPian

This, is a very interesting news indeed. Having owner the 2008 Fabia (HTP) that was solid like a tank and gave me tons & tons of smiles and bliss each time I drive it, I'm eagerly waiting to know if the re-entry is a reality. The choice of a car, is purely personal and back when it was launched, the competition was limited to Swift/ Getz and none of the competitors could be near in terms of the robust build quality, handling and the 'CLASS'. The CLASS is in capital as Skoda as a brand was superior to many other brands in India.

We just can't pull in the notion that Skoda was considered inferior in Europe/ Eastern Blocs and by virtue of being so, can't be higher in India. For that matter, how can Hyundai, which is considered as cheap in Europe/ North American markets can be called 'Premium' (just as they use for Elite i20, when all know that the durability/ fit/ finish/ handling is any day lower than even to old Fabia) in India?The products they offered had the quality and the sales in the respective categories underlined it. Out of 100, 15-20 may have had issues and typically, voices were raised loud about the service, that drowned out the positive aspects of the brand over a period of time. Majority would agree to the fact that Skoda is simply superlative when it comes to comparison with certain products from Toyota/ Hyundai. The Superb, I think offered more than the C-Class/ 3 - Series/ A4 at much less price. However, I feel that past a price-bracket, people would be willing to shell out more to get to the 'Premium 3'.

I'm keeping my purse open for new Fabia (with my experience from old Fabia)
Mysticeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2015, 17:52   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We just can't pull in the notion that Skoda was considered inferior in Europe/ Eastern Blocs and by virtue of being so, can't be higher in India.
This is not a "notion." It is a simple fact of the companies place in it's group strategy. Please note, "fact." International.

What has comparison of Skoda/VAG with other groups barands got to do with it? Nothing.

Please note also that I am not, in any way, suggesting not to buy Skoda vehicles. Nor am I even saying that a specific Skoda might not be more expensive than a specific VW.

Quote:
The Superb, I think offered more than the C-Class/ 3 - Series/ A4 at much less price
That's how it should be and it is a good reason to buy.

The last time I sat in a fabia (as a passenger) I found the seats unfomfortable. Otherwise I don't see any reason why I should find it less desirable than a Polo (which I own) if properly priced.

Keep your purse open, and I'll be amongst those congratulating you. Just spend wisely.

If anyone wants to get me into an infinite ohyesitisohnoitisn't argument, then we can meet on a hifi forum and discuss cables.

Skoda should offer superb value for money. If they pretend anything else, then it simply not true, but advertising can convince anybody of anything.

That's all from me on this topic. There really should not be any argument: we all want good Skodas at good prices!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote