Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 16th March 2015, 21:40   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Updated Chevrolet Captiva launched at Rs. 25.13 lakh

The biggest factor that keeps people away is the re-sale.
A used Captiva sells for under 15 lakh, whereas a similarly used Fortuner would easily fetch you over 20 lakh.

However, I clearly remember how big a rush there was for the Captiva when it was launched competing with the CRV. It was GM that was unable to deliver the CBU in the desired numbers. And it was a downhill story from there on. Pricing too is a problem. A price of ~20 lakh would definitely add a lot more customers.
prakhar1998 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2015, 22:03   #17
BHPian

As a former Chevrolet Captiva owner, you guys have no idea how much of a big smile this has put on my face. The SUV's sold now but she was brilliant.
Got an XUV500 to replace it, but I sold it after a year. For all the bells and whistles it was not well made at all. My Captiva had actually set quite a high standard.
Got myself a Pajero Sport Anniversary Edition now. It may not look all that great but it's built like a rock.

I'd never buy that waste of an SUV, Toyota calls the Fortuner.
BraveArc is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2015, 12:16   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveArc View Post
Got myself a Pajero Sport Anniversary Edition now. It may not look all that great but it's built like a rock.
Actually, for some reason I thought Captiva was smaller than Pajero, but looking at the spec, they are more of less of same size.

So, how would you compare the Captiva with the Pajero. Surely, Pajero is still a more popular name than the Captiva and priced similar too.
prakash_ajp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2015, 14:23   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
Actually, for some reason I thought Captiva was smaller than Pajero, but looking at the spec, they are more of less of same size.

So, how would you compare the Captiva with the Pajero. Surely, Pajero is still a more popular name than the Captiva and priced similar too.
The Pajero is real good. It's very different from the Captiva though. The Captiva had a real nice cabin to be in, was nice for the city. Not like the boring Fortuner .
The Pajero feels more BadA** , like I can throw anything at it and it'll just keep on going. Plus, Mitsubishi's rallying & Dakar heritage shows a bit in this SUV.
BraveArc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2015, 01:40   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
This is what is happening!
The Fortuner has butch looks and that Toyota badge! And that's about it! 2 airbags, no rear discs, that ride that makes everyone feel like being on a dance floor but dancing with their bottoms.
If Toyota starts selling potatoes with their badge people would buy it for their 'longevity' ...
Unfortunately, features are NO good if the product doesn't last much! My friend's Captiva had a complete engine replacement at 40K kms. And that was a very well maintained one. Shortly after that, the fuel pump failed and later the clutch was replaced. All these within 10K kms of the engine replacement. And he had to reduce 3-4 lakhs off the re-sale price he quoted and couple of months of waiting to get the car out of his porch! The features really didn't help much!

And to top it off, the dealer had the audacity of offering an exchange for this car with the face-lifted version!

The positives of the car are definitely the interior quality, features, great ride quality and the NVH levels. The downer were the long clutch, poor low end torque and high spare prices. I think the price hike with the previous face-lift made this a proper dud. This, when launched was reasonable priced if I recall correctly.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 18th March 2015 at 01:46.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2015, 12:34   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
This is exactly what I was saying in the other thread too. Chevrolet and Ford to some extent have just not got the understanding of the luxury SUV market in India. Regardless of the features, if their SUVs including the rumored upcoming launches, have got any chance of challenging the Fortuner, then they ought to give it a serious price advantage. Pricing them similar to the Fortuner or more than it, is not going to be taken kindly by the buyer.
Totally agree.

If a Diesel SUV is priced more than a Fortuner, I shall ask- why?

Airbag count is not my ONLY concern- in India, you can have 12 airbags, but still that 10 axle trucker has every right to overrun you without even noticing.

And when I am forced to spend most of my time either in bumper- to - bumper traffic or in moonscape like roads, what use to me is a quick steering or car like dynamics?

If it is a car that I want, then I should buy a car- and NOT an SUV- in the first place.

Reliability is not simply mean time between failures. There are very few things in a Fortuner that are prone to break down. And all spares and consumables are readily available, unlike other hi- tech SUVs which lay at the workshop for 3 moths just to get a suspension bush shipped from halfway across the globe.

The resale value that the Fortuner commands is hard to ignore. Afterall, the Fortuner's price is almost the same as the likes of Captiva or Koleos, so there is no savings in the first instance. When it is time to sell, the higher resale value sweetens things up, as I have to find less money to buy my next Toyota.
Yeldo is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2015, 12:50   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
Totally agree.

The resale value that the Fortuner commands is hard to ignore. Afterall, the Fortuner's price is almost the same as the likes of Captiva or Koleos, so there is no savings in the first instance. When it is time to sell, the higher resale value sweetens things up, as I have to find less money to buy my next Toyota.
This was the point I was trying to make, you have summed it up beautifully, the margin money you need when you buy something after selling the Fortuner makes the high price of the vehicle totally worth it. Imagine someone with kids in high school/college the difference could be a year or more of tuition expenses, something the average salaried person cannot ignore.
The benefit of not having to worry about the government ignoring road maintenance is an added bonus. The only vehicle that is an equal competitor is the Pajero Sport, however it doesn't have 4WD AT and the service network is thin. I doubt the Captiva has the mindshare to garner sales at this point.
avira_tk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2016, 11:40   #23
BHPian

Has Chevrolet discontinued the captiva in India ?

I was casually surfing their website and the captiva was not in their list of offerings.
Piyush46 is offline   Reply With Quote