Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 21st March 2015, 23:45   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Tata Motors to launch six UVs over the next four years

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajisv View Post
Testing waters for acceptance.

Even after rolling out a great product in Zest, people are still not buying! It's very clear that the low sales is due to the perception.

I personally think that, if current perception remains, TM continues to launch high quality products into markets incurring massive investments & people continue to just laud it on forums and do not translate to appreciable sales numbers, TM would be fine by just not burning up their capital quickly. Rather, they might fine tune their strategies.
You have a valid point, but Tata are in a sort of catch-22 situation. Perception, especially in the Indian mass market, is sales-driven which in turn is perception-driven. Ask FIAT.

Tata's passenger-car future depends on breaking this vicious cycle, and among Indian brands, they're best placed to launch and sustain an assault, investment wise. May not make the best business sense, but if they'd used proper business sense to begin with, they probably wouldn't be where they are now.

Zest was a good beginning to the revival, but they messed up Bolt's features and pricing (Zest is a significantly better package at very little extra money) which nobody expected them to.

Long story short, the way out of their predicament is going aggressive and pro-active, not conservative and reactive. Just my opinion and I hope to be proven wrong. More choices, the merrier.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 21st March 2015 at 23:53.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2015, 08:46   #17

Having owned a Safari for over 8 years now I have only one thing to say to Tata. I love the car, it has been rock solid with very little maintenance required. However that little maintenance is my problem. Your executives rarely show their precious selves to help a customer. I has a crack on my windscreen after a particularly hot day in a treeless compound with a security guard. I still believe that it was a glass fault but your executives hid behind the service centre and called it small particle damage. I got it replaced on my tab. In a few months I moved to Bangalore and when it rained the new glass leaked. On complaining again no one from Tata took ownership and the old service centre asked me to come to Chennai to get it repaired. I got that repaired in Bangalore again on my tab. The spoiler got damaged however there is no spare available. Each service if I tell them 10 issues they fix 7. Quality of service varies so much from place to place that I believe I am dealing with a network of unauthorised service shops. They offer a pickup from home but have no drivers available most of the time.My Hyundais (3 of em) give me no such hassles. Occasionally I have to talk to someone to get things moving but Hyundai personnel take my calls and follow up issues to closure. Even if I like the new UVs you are launching with the painful memories of service I ponder why should I go that route again. What Tata needs is massive investment in its service divisions. All executives are to be encouraged to "SPEAK" to the customer and arbitrate directly in service issues. Check quality of service and follow up with each complaint directly till it is closed. Last but not least unless they are prepared to stock parts and provide hassle free service on demand to their customers of the last 10 years no amount of product launches will win them any market share as in today's connected world old customers like me will always share their experience to someone contemplating to buy a Tata car.
nainan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2015, 13:27   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nainan View Post
Having owned a Safari for over 8 years now I have only one thing to say to Tata. I love the car, it has been rock solid with very little maintenance required. However that little maintenance is my problem. Your executives rarely show their precious selves to help a customer. I has a crack on my windscreen after a particularly hot day in a treeless compound with a security guard. I still believe that it was a glass fault but your executives hid behind the service centre and called it small particle damage. I got it replaced on my tab. In a few months I moved to Bangalore and when it rained the new glass leaked. On complaining again no one from Tata took ownership and the old service centre asked me to come to Chennai to get it repaired. I got that repaired in Bangalore again on my tab. The spoiler got damaged however there is no spare available. Each service if I tell them 10 issues they fix 7. Quality of service varies so much from place to place that I believe I am dealing with a network of unauthorised service shops. They offer a pickup from home but have no drivers available most of the time.My Hyundais (3 of em) give me no such hassles. Occasionally I have to talk to someone to get things moving but Hyundai personnel take my calls and follow up issues to closure. Even if I like the new UVs you are launching with the painful memories of service I ponder why should I go that route again. What Tata needs is massive investment in its service divisions. All executives are to be encouraged to "SPEAK" to the customer and arbitrate directly in service issues. Check quality of service and follow up with each complaint directly till it is closed. Last but not least unless they are prepared to stock parts and provide hassle free service on demand to their customers of the last 10 years no amount of product launches will win them any market share as in today's connected world old customers like me will always share their experience to someone contemplating to buy a Tata car.
wait till you experience the POWER of Mahindra's, atleast in your case they would have fixed 7, in case of my Thar, every time I send the car to the service station, two problems get added to the original problems before they return the car
shivshanker is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2015, 21:42   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajisv View Post

I personally think that, if current perception remains, TM continues to launch high quality products into markets incurring massive investments & people continue to just laud it on forums and do not translate to appreciable sales numbers, TM would be fine by just not burning up their capital quickly. Rather, they might fine tune their strategies.
Tata HAS burned large amounts of capital. It was run like a commercial vehicle business before and there will be growing pains.

They need a solid product with differentiated design. And a platform they can use in multiple products to cut down costs and push up quality.

They probably are working on that right now.

Renault has actually taken an old solid platform ( logan) and have built up a solid reputation on the mechanical front. Logan - - - - >Duster - - - - >Lodgy.

Excellent differentiated products at good price points.

Wagon R is an excellent example of a boring /practical product backed by good marketing.

It wouldn't hurt for Tata to over engineer their products and market them that way .

I hope they get things right on the design front though.

Last edited by drsingh : 22nd March 2015 at 21:44.
drsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2015, 22:14   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Quality of service varies so much from place to place that I believe I am dealing with a network of unauthorised service shops.
That is EXACTLY the problem. Having used one of their cheapest and most ubiquitous products (eV2), I will NEVER buy anything remotely expensive unless I get "word of mouth" comfort that the services have come up to scratch.

I agree to all your recommendations, and I'd add one more to it. Remove all "truck-wallahs" from all levels of management in the passenger cars division. Get and groom competent folks who understand the "consumer" business.
Contrapunto is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2015, 23:46   #21
BHPian

Yes, timing could have been better, but I think they are on the right track in terms of planning more SUVs. In a well developed car segment, I don't think Indian car manufacturers can lead.

But there are still a lot of SUV segments that can be created between 10-20 lacs and this is where Tata should look to concentrate. But they need to get their designs right from the word go. Indians love big and brawny which makes a statement.

Overall, my personal feeling is that Tata can't be a top 3 hatch/sedan player in the near to medium term.
rrsteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2015, 10:20   #22
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Each service if I tell them 10 issues they fix 7. Quality of service varies so much from place to place that I believe I am dealing with a network of unauthorised service shops. They offer a pickup from home but have no drivers available most of the time.My Hyundais (3 of em) give me no such hassles. Occasionally I have to talk to someone to get things moving but Hyundai personnel take my calls and follow up issues l.
This thread is not really about service. Though it does influence purchase. Tata and Mahindra vehicles have earlier had many issues but I feel the service is actually very good. Infact better than of Ford and Hyundai which are my current rides. It varies from centre to centre but yep I too as an owner of Tata and Hyundai can say that Hyundai service is really bad when you actually have an issue. But yes issues are lesser and yet attempts to sell you service components that are not required is again greater with Hyundai at least for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
wait till you experience the POWER of Mahindra's, atleast in your case they would have fixed 7, in case of my Thar, every time I send the car to the service station, two problems get added to the original problems before they return the car
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2015, 11:24   #23
Senior - BHPian

For me coming small car from Tata stable is most important. If Tata can make that car good without any issues at first go, i guess it can improve Tata image in public and get them the volume they need. Once they start getting faith from people, their coming cars will get benefit from that. Hexa looks promising in pictures and under 4 m small SUV should also be good. IMHO, Tata should launch small SUV before Hexa SUV. It can generate interest in people and if priced correctly, can be hit in market. Let's hope Tata is listening.
aniketi is offline   Reply With Quote