Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 27th March 2015, 11:42   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Nissan working on compact SUV to take on Ford EcoSport. Update: Named Kicks

Nissan seem serious in the Indian market. After having the Datsun brand now it plans a product portfolio coming aggressively!

Nissan plans a Cuv for India to rival Ecosport. Specualted to be seen at the Auto Expo 2016.

pic of Kicks concept
Nissan working on compact SUV to take on Ford EcoSport. Update: Named Kicks-a43.jpg
Quote:
This SUV is expected to be based on the Nissan Kicks concept urban SUV which was earlier shown in South America.

This new compact SUV from Nissan will be powered by the familiar 1.5-litre dCi K9K diesel motor that also does duty in various Renault-Nissan products in India. However, it remains to be seen if it gets the 83bhp or the 108bhp version.

Designed by Nissan design studios in both North and South America, the Nissan Kicks concept features traditional SUV styling traits, including a raised ride height and muscular front and rear bumpers. The model also uses Nissan's V-shaped front-end design.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...al-394112.aspx

Last edited by volkman10 : 27th March 2015 at 11:47.
volkman10 is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2015, 22:54   #2

Default re: Nissan working on compact SUV to take on Ford EcoSport. Update: Named Kicks

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 28th March 2015 at 12:30.
namanchaudhary is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 28th March 2015, 05:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Nissan working on compact SUV to take on Ford EcoSport. Update: Named Kicks

Autocar India states that this car is expected to be showcased at the 2016 Delhi Auto Expo. The global version is 4.3 M long and the India specific Ecosport rival will be lesser than 4 M in length.
The rear also looks quite stylish. Pic from here
Attached Thumbnails
Nissan working on compact SUV to take on Ford EcoSport. Update: Named Kicks-nissankicksindia1.jpg  

Last edited by rajeev k : 28th March 2015 at 05:56.
rajeev k is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2015, 19:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

I think this would seriously challenge Ecosport in terms of looks, size and price.
It will probably take another year or two to hit our market though.
wilful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2015, 10:20   #5
BANNED

They need to provide a better engine for this.
Cant be using a 2 Gen old diesel engine for a concept in 2016.

That's just plain lazy.
BUXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2015, 10:35   #6
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

With the onslaught of these crossovers, they have muddled the line between hatchbacks and SUVs. I am not fond of these. But this would make a fantastic hatchback, albeit somewhat bigger. Love those tail-lamps and overall proportions are superb. Can dethrone new i20 in looks, to take best looking hatch crown.
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2015, 12:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

I am 100% certain that the final product landing on the Indian shore will be more drab and dull looking, and definitely higher priced than Ecosport.

I never understood why the product at concept stage looks so flashy and the end result looks so tame in comparison?
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2015, 15:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

Nissan's CUV rendered.

Nissan working on compact SUV to take on Ford EcoSport. Update: Named Kicks-kicksna1.jpg
Nissan working on compact SUV to take on Ford EcoSport. Update: Named Kicks-kicksna2.jpg
http://translate.google.co.in/transl...r/&prev=search
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2015, 15:42   #9
BHPian

Nissan has something called Juke in Indonesia. Really hot looking crossover, very popular too. It runs on the same Renault engine doing duty in the Duster.
[URL="http://cdnku01.autobild.co.id/spaw/uploads/images/article/head/20140530_034044_20140530_Nissan_Juke-01.jpg"
chandan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2015, 15:46   #10
BHPian

At 4300 mm, how can they reduce it to less than 4000 mm? By removing/ reducing the crash protection guard and crumple zones? Or by designing and manufacturing a completely different version with reduced wheelbase for India? I don't think they will build a different car just for India. So if at all this makes it here, it will most likely be positioned above the Ecosport.
Astleviz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2015, 16:08   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandan View Post
Nissan has something called Juke in Indonesia. Really hot looking crossover, very popular too. It runs on the same Renault engine doing duty in the Duster.
"http://cdnku01.autobild.co.id/spaw/uploads/images/article/head/20140530_034044_20140530_Nissan_Juke-01.jpg"
The Juke has been there for while actually, I wouldn't call it hot, But quirky for sure. No offense to your personal taste though. I have seen quite a few on road while I was on a trip. It sure looks different, borderline weird I must admit. I'm not sure if we Indians have the appetite for something as quirky.

Kick somehow looks more mature & something that a lot of us can see ourselves drive one.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 10th September 2016 at 20:18. Reason: Fixed quote tags
suhas_raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2015, 16:35   #12
BHPian

This does look a lot like the Nissan Juke costing around USD 20,000 I think. have driven it and must say its not the worst.
As for the design, to each its own.
But the real question is how they are going to price something like this to take on the eco sport ?
Any details on the features and configurations ?

Last edited by nairanupg : 31st March 2015 at 16:37.
nairanupg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2015, 16:52   #13
BHPian

Won't it be better to bring in the Qashqai, rather than reinvent the wheel?
They do have a 5 seater Qashqai, which could pose a competition for Ecosport.
john.gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2015, 17:20   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.gt View Post
Won't it be better to bring in the Qashqai, rather than reinvent the wheel?
They do have a 5 seater Qashqai, which could pose a competition for Ecosport.
Qashqai is a bigger car than Ecosport at 4370 mm and there is just no way they can reduce it to 4000 mm to compete with Ecosport. It's also a premium Crossover that costs twice as much as the Dacia Duster (18000 UK pounds vs 9500 UK Pounds).
Astleviz is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2015, 14:07   #15
BHPian

Am I missing something here? Isn't Terrano the competitor for EcoSport from the Nissan stable? Or they now trying a Maruti strategy of category cannibalization, by launching multiple CUVs, in near same price range.
rohansachar is offline   Reply With Quote