Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2012, 15:27   #31
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 360
Thanked: 115 Times
Default Re: Cars may soon come with telltale black boxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
While this sounds good on paper as we have one of the highest %age of road accidents in the world, I have some queries for Mr Joshi:
why should a consumer bear it?
why is the minister forcing this on all vehicles?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
This makes no sense for India, because 99% percent of the times, the accident site clearly reveals what went wrong and how it could have been avoided!
Very true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by riturajsharma19 View Post
Instead of that black box, why not make ABS and Airbags mandatory. Now who will bell the cat?
Guys, don't stress your brain much. The point here is to find innovative ways to pass some bla bla budget worth X thousands crore for the road safety of the citizen! (I often wonder in which part of our country, City bus drivers wear seat-belts?, okay, the very basic question do they have it?)
iSpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2013, 14:05   #32
Distinguished - BHPian
 
mpksuhas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: KA03/KL11
Posts: 2,716
Thanked: 3,300 Times
Default Re: Black Box for Automobiles

As per the news article black boxes may be mandatory in all vehicles sold in USA from 2014. Currently 96% of new vehicles sold there had black boxes it seems - Blackbox in US
mpksuhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2017, 18:19   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,240
Thanked: 226 Times
Default Re: Black Box for Automobiles

Folks,
Been while on Teambhp. Working on blackbox and Collision Avoidance System. We have achieved desired result of collision avoidance using computer vision. Currently, the product is evolving with features such as radar, could connectivity.ltrasound sensors and Driver Analytics and support eco system.

Will update you all about roll outs soon.
Dwarakanath
dwaraka is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2017, 18:36   #34
Senior - BHPian
 
alpha1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: P00NA
Posts: 1,626
Thanked: 967 Times
Default Re: Black Box for Automobiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
Folks,
Been while on Teambhp. Working on blackbox and Collision Avoidance System. We have achieved desired result of collision avoidance using computer vision. Currently, the product is evolving with features such as radar, could connectivity.ltrasound sensors and Driver Analytics and support eco system.

Will update you all about roll outs soon.
Dwarakanath
Something similar to autonomous vehicles like Google Waymo?

A blackbox for a self-drive makes sense. Blackbox for a human driven car? Not really, since most accidents are indeed because of human errors.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2017, 19:00   #35
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Delhi
Posts: 3,067
Thanked: 6,231 Times
Default Re: Black Box for Automobiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
A blackbox for a self-drive makes sense. Blackbox for a human driven car? Not really, since most accidents are indeed because of human errors.
If we follow the same logic airplanes don’t need black boxes either, as most aviation accidents are due to human error.

But black box serve a much broader purpose. It gives insight into what really happened, what speed, how hard braking, what steering inputs, what gear, , road conditions, driving patterns etc.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2017, 20:42   #36
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Chetan_Rao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,927
Thanked: 3,430 Times
Default Re: Black Box for Automobiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
....
But black box serve a much broader purpose. It gives insight into what really happened, what speed, how hard braking, what steering inputs, what gear, , road conditions, driving patterns etc....
Very true, but I doubt India has anywhere close to the expertise available in the West w.r.t. forensic accident investigations, the likes of NTSB and its European counterparts, or any immediate plans to establish such agencies.

Capturing data is one thing, being able to competently analyse and draw actionable inferences is another thing altogether.

I'm all for the idea, but we really need to develop bottom up rather than top down. It makes ZERO sense in a country where even basic road design and traffic management specifications aren't followed.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 7th July 2017 at 20:47.
Chetan_Rao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2017, 21:05   #37
Distinguished - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 3,256
Thanked: 4,983 Times
Default Re: Black Box for Automobiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
Folks,
Been while on Teambhp. Working on blackbox and Collision Avoidance System. We have achieved desired result of collision avoidance using computer vision. Currently, the product is evolving with features such as radar, could connectivity.ltrasound sensors and Driver Analytics and support eco system.

Will update you all about roll outs soon.
Dwarakanath
Wow! Thats something nice to hear. What radar are you using?
audioholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2017, 23:35   #38
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Delhi
Posts: 3,067
Thanked: 6,231 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Very true, but I doubt India has anywhere close to the expertise available in the West w.r.t. forensic accident investigations, the likes of NTSB and its European counterparts, or any immediate plans to establish such agencies.

Capturing data is one thing, being able to competently analyse and draw actionable inferences is another thing altogether.

I'm all for the idea, but we really need to develop bottom up rather than top down. It makes ZERO sense in a country where even basic road design and traffic management specifications aren't followed.

Trur, but just something as speed or whether there was any braking doesnt take much analytical or forensic skills, but can be very telling in determining what happened at an accident scene.
Jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2017, 21:28   #39
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,240
Thanked: 226 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Wow! Thats something nice to hear. What radar are you using?

Hi, we are getting into radar now. camera vision solution is ready. As we speak, one of our device is being tested on a 20 k kms run now. BTW if anyone here is in Pune next week on 17th and 18th Aug, they can visit us at Telematics India event at koregaon. Booth No. 11 and see the live demos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Trur, but just something as speed or whether there was any braking doesnt take much analytical or forensic skills, but can be very telling in determining what happened at an accident scene.
Device we are developing will have analytics of driving, response action, last few crucial seconds of video of impact / potential impact averted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Something similar to autonomous vehicles like Google Waymo?

A blackbox for a self-drive makes sense. Blackbox for a human driven car? Not really, since most accidents are indeed because of human errors.
Alpha1, since you are in pune visit us at Telematics India event in Koregaon on 17th and 18th Aug to see live demo. Booth No. 11 Your mention of accidents are because of human error is very true. Avoidance also is human possibility with Driver assistance

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 13th August 2017 at 08:42. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote option (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts together. Thanks!
dwaraka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2017, 17:25   #40
Senior - BHPian
 
alpha1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: P00NA
Posts: 1,626
Thanked: 967 Times
Default Re: Black Box for Automobiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post

Alpha1, since you are in pune visit us at Telematics India event in Koregaon on 17th and 18th Aug to see live demo. Booth No. 11 Your mention of accidents are because of human error is very true. Avoidance also is human possibility with Driver assistance
Hey, how was the event.
I am shuttling Mumbai-Pune daily these days, so I really couldn't make it, even for personal engagements :(
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spider Diesel Tuning Box VS. Pete's Tuning Box - Spider Box feedback on pg 2 Endeavour333 Modifications & Accessories 130 11th September 2017 01:24
Black Lightning: My Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI DSG-UPDATE: DSG box replaced! Swanand Inamdar Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 130 10th September 2012 13:01
Review of MicroVBB Black Box raj_5004 Modifications & Accessories 132 3rd September 2012 08:10
Price Negotiation with Satguide / Satnav for navigation black box koushikvenkat In-Car Entertainment 0 18th November 2010 00:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:55.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks