Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 2nd April 2015, 13:52   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Rumour: Maruti Ritz 'Tour' for the taxi segment

Thank you to the Team-BHP fan who sent this information to us (he prefers to remain anonymous). Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts!

After meeting some success with the Dzire Tour - a stripped down base variant of the older generation car, Maruti now plans to push the Ritz' sales in the taxi market with a model that will be called the Ritz Tour. This car will be none other than an Ldi version of the car which features an air-conditioner and a power steering. This car will be aggressively pushed in cab aggregator companies like Ola, Uber and in Mumbai cabs.

The Ritz sells ~2,800 cars each month and while that figure might no where be termed as bad, it is still the least selling modern Maruti in the country. With the Dzire Tour achieving sales of 2,500 - 2,600 units each month, Maruti hopes to increase the volumes of this hatchback. Maruti is soon planning to launch a diesel Celerio which will also include a variant/s specifically for the taxi market.

Name:  ritz.jpg
Views: 5726
Size:  62.5 KB

Maruti Suzuki is revamping its positioning strategy in India. On one side it is focusing on enhancing the customer experience and setting up dealerships exclusively for its present and upcoming premium cars; while on the other side, it is looking to target the lucrative taxi segment.

The Company has strictly decided not to give the Ciaz for commercial use as luxury cabs even after being approached by large aggregators. Maruti seems clear with their focus of maintaining the image of its premium sedan by limiting its sale to private buyers only. The Ciaz has been the Company's only Rs. 10 lakh offering that has been doing well in the market generating a monthly sale of ~4,700 units.

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd April 2015 at 14:55. Reason: Typo
S2!!! is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2015, 14:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Rumour: Maruti Ritz 'Tour' for the taxi segment

I have seen multiple Ciaz's that are running on the streets of Mumbai on yellow plates. Either Maruti hasnt been able to control its dealers from doing so or its a plain jane press statement.
amtak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2015, 14:20   #3
BHPian

I have seen 2-3 ritz as regular taxi in mumbai .
RishiSuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2015, 14:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
After meeting some success with the Dzire Tour - a stripped down base variant of the older generation car, Maruti now plans to launch push the Ritz' sales in the taxi market which will be called the Ritz Tour. This car will be none other than an Ldi version of the car which features an air-conditioner and a power steering.
Does this mean we are looking at the possibility of a new generation Ritz soon, on the same lines as the Dzire facelift of 2012? Considering the 6 year lifecycle that Maruti follows, it is about time for the next generation of Ritz.

I can understand a separate Dzire Tour variant since it was the older generation model. However, Ritz is a current generation model and LDi is still available. How is Maruti planning to get increased sales with a model that is already available for the the potential customers? If someone would be interested in buying this proposed Ritz Tour, how is it different from buying a Ritz LDi which they can do even today? Unless they are planning to launch a totally redesigned Ritz, this move doesn't make sense to me. If that is the case, the new Ritz would be the bigger news.

Last edited by zenren : 2nd April 2015 at 14:26.
zenren is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2015, 14:57   #5
BHPian

+1 to what Amtak said. Have seen plenty of Ciaz on the roads with yellow plates. I think Maruti can not really stop that since the owners can get the car registered as a taxi. The most it can do is not allow fleet sales of the Ciaz to taxi operators/hotels.

Launching a taxi variant of the Ritz and Celerio might be a good move to gain more numbers. Lets see how it works for the brand.
amansanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2015, 15:02   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Off late, I see a good number of OLA Cabs which are Ritz. Essentially, more than Airport or Railway Station Drops, OLA finds its customer base with Point to Point Drops who would have otherwise preferred Autorickshaw for the same.

Ritz would do good as boot wont be a huge requirement (In case of OLA) may be.

May be MSIL spotted this and wants to cash in on the segment.
paragsachania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2015, 15:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
I can understand a separate Dzire Tour variant since it was the older generation model. However, Ritz is a current generation model and LDi is still available.
Agree with you. There were news about the Celerio Diesel for taxi segment. And now, Ritz too! I don't think Maruti will introduce 2 hatch cars simultaneously in the taxi segment. Considering the facts that Ritz LDi is already in the market, and no news about a face-lifted Ritz, I expect a Ritz with the new 800CC Diesel engine for the taxi segment.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 2nd April 2015 at 15:06.
romeomidhun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2015, 15:19   #8
BHPian

I sense Maruti is brewing something big. They really have something big planned for the next few years. The new hatchbacks, the premium dealerships. This news seems like a piece of that puzzle!
frostbite911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2015, 15:23   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
I have seen multiple Ciaz's that are running on the streets of Mumbai on yellow plates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RishiSuri View Post
I have seen 2-3 ritz as regular taxi in mumbai .
Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
Have seen plenty of Ciaz on the roads with yellow plates.
No manufacturer can stop their cars from being registered as taxis (not even Ferrari, click to see). However, many manufacturers offer special variants & discounted prices to taxi operators. By not offering this on the Ciaz, Maruti can greatly 'limit' taxi sales (but not entirely prevent them). Maruti can also discourage fleet sales. End of the day, taxi operators aren't in love with Maruti. If they don't get a 'special' on the Ciaz, they'll look elsewhere.

What our news article is talking about is a push into taxi sales. Maruti refuses to do that with the Ciaz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Does this mean we are looking at the possibility of a new generation Ritz soon, on the same lines as the Dzire facelift of 2012? Considering the 6 year lifecycle that Maruti follows, it is about time for the next generation of Ritz.
You can say that again. The Ritz is long in the tooth now and begs for the next-generation.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2015, 16:34   #10
Team-BHP Support

Ola has started using Ritz in their fleet. I always wondered why cabs didn't prefer Ritz over Iindica Vista and Liva.

I found out from an Uber driver that the Indigo is the cheapest whereas in case of Liva, they get discounts and good financing.

The Ritz ends up being expensive but the biggest reason which I was surprised to hear is that the cabbies don't like the look of the Ritz especially the rear. They prefer the conventional Liva/Vista/Indica.

With this tour variant, they may get some sales but in the end cabbies also want a car with "look" and "shape" and the Ritz is not the preferred choice.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote