Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 6th April 2015, 19:26   #31
BHPian

Default Re: March 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

I would like to add to the statistics with figures for segment-wise market share over a period of last month, 3 months and 6 months. These numbers give a fair picture of each vehicles market share within its own segment and whether they are gaining or losing. Plus the percentage market share and overall segment-wise sales are color-coded to reflect relative position.

Segmentation might not be perfect but I have done it to the best of my knowledge. I have left out some vehicles that have negligible impact in overall market share. Have also highlighted (in yellow) top 10 sellers for each month over the past six months. Hope this is helpful.

Click on an image to enlarge / zoom:
Attached Thumbnails
March 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-1.jpg  

March 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-2.jpg  

March 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-3.jpg  

March 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-4.jpg  

jessie007 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 19:43   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post

Neither Zest nor Bolt featuring in the top 20. Safe to call them failures? What more does Tata need to do for gaining the lost ground in passenger car market?
From where Tata is getting back into the game, Zest raking in consistently 2K+ numbers is not so bad, IMO.
Perception and herd mentality takes some time and Tata Motors need few more launches with Zest /Bolt quality levels. Let's look at 2016 on how Tata fares.

Bolt is a disaster! Indica looks and disaster pricing killed the product. But, with the upcoming Pelican duo, they had to price the Bolt it is now!
Old 6th April 2015, 20:07   #33
BHPian

I am now positively worried about Chevrolet. I had bought Diesel Beat about in 2013 Jan and felt it was a good all round deal, competitive price, City friendly dimensions, good interiors, great mileage..

Wonder whats gone wrong. Are these people not interested in Indian Market anymore? There is absolutely no marketing for the Beat or any Chevy product. They have awesome products in the US inform of Sonic twins, why not bring it to India ?

Would rapidly declining sales numbers mean higher service costs and maintenance in the future?? I may have to sell my car

Wonder how the Chevy guys turn up in office every morning with the depressing sales numbers ??

On the other hand wonderful job by Hyundai on the Elite I20 and Honda.
charanreddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 20:10   #34
Senior - BHPian

It remains to be seen if the Honda figures are a result of year end stock pushing to dealers. While City has been consistent, Amaze figures swing wildy every month.

As far as the Bolt is concerned, most people would rather buy the Zest due to the better value it offers. Tata should have a relook at the pricing of the Bolt before the car is written off as a dud by the market.
rajneeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 20:12   #35
BHPian

Most Indians are clearly mad about Maruti. May be some don't even know that other brands exist! Maruti is like what Hero-Honda used to be a few years back. It will take a long time for others to convince the majority about having better cars. Till then, Maruti will profit from hypnotized Indians.
Old 6th April 2015, 20:23   #36
BHPian

For some reason Maruti dealers, atleast the ones here in Kolkata just don't want to sell Ritz. I know of 5 people personally who went to buy the Ritz in the last 2 months who were either told that manufacturing is stopped, or were made to wait 2.5 months before they cancelled and bought a Swift or moved to another brand. I myself waited for 2 months and later got to know from the regional office that the dealer hadn't even placed the order for my Zxi. In the mean time he was trying to push Swift Vxi. I had to cancel and go to another dealer and picked up a car kept in the showroom.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 20:28   #37
BHPian

Interesting statistics, thanks for sharing. Overall the market sentiment seems to be better than last year. Apart from laggards, others have seen growth with new models and reliability factor.

The last finance year truly belongs to Honda. They have sustained their growth rate and poised for better performance in the coming year. When we look at the limited coverage they have in terms of dealership in the country compared to Maruti and Hyundai their achievement is truly amazing.

Maruti continue their market dominance while Hyundai hold on to their turf. Mahindra need to think of new products. Apart from SUV segment, they need to have successful products in other segments also as well.

Toyota still in the process of finalizing their strategy. Last year also their numbers peaked in March, but in April it was different story. They need to seriously expand their portfolio.

Still perception seems to be dragging down Tata. Hope they would be able to turn around soon.

Unless VW and Skoda introduce new products, they will be nowhere in the sales number chart. I don't think face lifts and cosmetic upgrades are going to help their present product line up.
AshBabu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 20:30   #38
Senior - BHPian

Amazing numbers for the Honda City. When the Fluidic Verna was launched, it used to do about 5K a month and now City is doing almost twice that number. Is this just the year-end effect?

I will also be watching the Elite i20 numbers with interest to see if it can match Swift in coming months.
Old 6th April 2015, 21:02   #39
BHPian

Some obvious observations
1. A total increase in sales by more than 12K units this month over Feb15. We are officially out of the slump period!
2. Two of the top 3 month on month gainers are MPVs with Datsun Go+ showing almost twice the sales as last month.
3. Honda & Mahindra continue the sea-saw for the 3 place (in terms of market share) both leaders in a very different segment of cars. No changes in the standings otherwise. Laggards continue to lag and leaders continue to lead.
4. Elite i20 breaches the 12K mark for Hyundai. They cant possibly go higher without sacrificing on production of other models, can they? The waiting periods surely suggest that.
5. In the month when majority of the models show increase in sales, Ford's Ecosport shows a consistent decline; almost out of the top 20. Ford's aspirations lie elsewhere?
6. The Tata Bolt has tanked after the large booking numbers that it boasted.
7. VW Polo and Vento showing decent numbers. Nothing making or breaking here. With nothing new coming out the the VW stable in the near term, one shouldn't expect any big changes.
Old 6th April 2015, 21:46   #40
PGA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajisv View Post
Perception and herd mentality takes some time and Tata Motors need few more launches with Zest /Bolt quality levels. Let's look at 2016 on how Tata fares.
Couple of weeks ago I was getting my car repaired at a roadside repair shop. Since I own a TATA, I got talking to mechanic about Zest and Bolt. This is how he summed it up "Sir, TATA produced great cars and then they decided to put that that 'T' on the grill and lost it all."

I think TATA marketing team desperately needs to feel and understand the pulse of their brand, their strategy is just not clicking.
Old 6th April 2015, 22:20   #41
Senior - BHPian

I think Fluidic Verna is not selling because of the suspension issues in the initial models. Everyone refrains now from it because initial owners complained a lot about it and Hyundai did not acknowledge or replace it FOC at that time. Plus now there is a lot more competition too in terms of City and Ciaz which everyone favours over Hyundai.

Honda is just doing amazing , can't imagine how well they would do if they had more dealerships, they could probably overtake Hyundai. Also I wonder , why haven't Honda made a Fortuner beating SUV yet ?

Tata , well I'm not sure how they are going to turn around Indian mentality that they are just a pile of unreliable tin cans.
Old 6th April 2015, 23:05   #42
Senior - BHPian

It will be an interesting situation once Maruti launches YRA. It will eat into Swift as well as i20. Imo, it will then be a neck-and-neck fight between Swift and i20. But combined, Swift and YRA will outsell i20 by 2:1, I guess.
Old 6th April 2015, 23:42   #43
Senior - BHPian

Interesting month to wrap up the year.

For once, Maruti seems to be losing the steam a bit, though I'm not sure of the kind of discounts that were on offer to push the sales. March and December sales are never going to indicate a clear picture since inventory clearance means some sales occur at loss!

Good show from Hyundai, though they are turning out to another hatchback company considering the poor numbers of Xcent and Verna. i10-20 range is their backbone and they should be safe with those for now!

Coming to Honda, it was a great performance from City. However, don't be surprised with the high number for Amaze compared to Xcent. In India, sibling rivalry is the most fierce battle to fight and Amaze is saved with an impractical Brio and a non-existent Jazz compared to the i10 and i20 in the Hyundai stable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
Most Indians are clearly mad about Maruti. May be some don't even know that other brands exist! Maruti is like what Hero-Honda used to be a few years back. It will take a long time for others to convince the majority about having better cars. Till then, Maruti will profit from hypnotized Indians.
Everyone has their own priorities in life - automobiles and driving are definitely not among the top ones for over 80% people. For such people, a reliable car and trouble free ownership are absolute deal breakers. Everything else comes later. Even a reliable car with a good service center 200km away is not going to work for the common man in a small town. Even among the enthusiasts who have a busy day job, a good fraction would not want to take a chance with a brand that ignores their customers and eats away his time in fighting with the service station. Hyundai resolved some of these constraints and added more value in their offering which led to their success.

Maruti is not selling every second car in India because the buyers haven't heard about others like Hyundai, Tata, Toyota, Mahindra etc. On the contrary, it is because they felt it still the better deal for the price they pay in a risk-averse society like ours.

Most brands that still continue to flop in our market have another common factor- at some point in the past, they tried to exploit the Indian customer. That bad taste will linger around for a long while. We are not going to forget and forgive easily; that is not in the Indian blood. Maruti built the trust over several decades and still keeps it that way.

However, I do agree that that there are a couple of brands that a lot of people haven't heard of. In those cases, it is their marketing department that should be blamed and not the customer or Maruti.
zenren is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 23:46   #44
Senior - BHPian

There is no stopping Honda. City is a emerging as a sedan segment juggernaut. What is wrong with Verna? For over a year now Verna stopped appearing on these charts. Even spruce up did not help. Ciaz seems to be losing steam, too. Amaze also seems to be picking up. Xcent is going the Verna way. But most surprising car, to me, is Wagon R. 15 years on and we still can't have enough of 'em? Wow!!! We need to take a long hard look at it to see what is it that endears itself to so many Indians.
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 00:32   #45
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Interesting month to wrap up the year.

For once, Maruti seems to be losing the steam a bit, though I'm not sure of the kind of discounts that were......... agree that that there are a couple of brands that a lot of people haven't heard of. In those cases, it is their marketing department that should be blamed and not the customer or Maruti.

Spot-on zenren ! To each his own - and to assume that the Indian car owner doesn't know his marbles is naive. We are the most risk-averse and value-for-money oriented community around.

I have worked with the Japanese for a decade and it was a rewarding and eye-opening experience - they are the most peculiarly ethical-minded and loyalty-rewarding folks one can find. Maruti's success is no fluke or shot-in-the-dark.

Having said that, I'll add that I'm a born again nationalist and feel good about M&M's in-house R&D strength. I am the happy owner of a Scorpio for the past 10 years and hope to go in for another one sooner rather than later (cash flow issues naturally!). In the interim, we recently decided to sell our Getz and plonk our hard-earned on a Maruti EECO. I have been rooting for RWD all my life and my experience with the Getz (nice & nippy though it was) has not changed my view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Thread moved from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section) to the Indian Car Scene!
Wonderful work Aditya ! - As others have remarked earlier, this is easily among the most awaited threads.

Though I am not a Tata customer now (apart from the Tata Sierra we ran in the mid-nineties and which we sold for the Scorpio which we swear by!) I feel saddened that their efforts do not seem to be working in the Indian market, despite their acquisition of JLR. The rest of the lot seem to be trying to put their best foot forward - apart from GM, which seems to be slipping into terminal coma.
Thanks again!

Last edited by moralfibre : 7th April 2015 at 08:46. Reason: Back to back posts.
shashanka is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread