Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 21st August 2015, 14:57   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: 2015 Audi A6 spotted testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at 49.5 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
No 6-cylinder diesel? That sucks. Any car in this segment has to have a 6-cylinder for the full 'luxury' experience. A four banger just doesn't cut it. That's even more so for Audi which shares its engine with the Octavia!

Nevertheless, what a beautiful design. So classy, so timeless. I could sit all day with an A6, just admiring it from different angles. Simply fantastic. I respect Audi for sticking to clean & mature designs while BMW is getting weirder with each new launch, and Mercedes is all young & funky (doesn't appeal to all).
I would have prefered if they offered a 4cyl petrol turbo charged instead. The v6 diesel although a good halo model wouldn't bring much volume.
Petrol over diesel trend has begun across segments, its time the luxury segment takes action on this too.
Sahil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 17:51   #17
BHPian

Default Re: 2015 Audi A6 spotted testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at 49.5 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
Now only BMW offers V6 diesel in sedan segment among the german trio...
Mercedes still offers the E350CDI with the V6 diesel, doesn't it?
Old 21st August 2015, 20:10   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
Agreed with GTO. Now only BMW offers V6 diesel in sedan segment among the german trio... I at times wonder what could be the reason for not providing V6, when the same is available in other countries even in segment lower than A6. Even we have some lucky member who owns A4 with 3.0 TDI.
I agree. I AM lucky indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
It should be Straight 6 not V6
SHOULD be ? Its just different & more compact packaging .

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlessuresh View Post
Mercedes still offers the E350CDI with the V6 diesel, doesn't it?
Yes it does. Pity no 3 V6 with the A6. I can endorse that engine is complete bonkers.
Old 24th August 2015, 17:08   #19
BHPian

So Audi earlier had its 2 litre A6 priced at around 42 lacs and the 3 litre at 46.5 lacs. Now they bring a facelift for the 2 litre version, add on a few bells and whistles (mmi, bose, led lights) and price the car at 49.5 lacs!! They must think Indians are really stupid!
Old 24th August 2015, 17:22   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk123 View Post
So Audi earlier had its 2 litre A6 priced at around 42 lacs and the 3 litre at 46.5 lacs. Now they bring a facelift for the 2 litre version, add on a few bells and whistles (mmi, bose, led lights) and price the car at 49.5 lacs!! They must think Indians are really stupid!
What I am about to say is probably inaccurate, but it was the case when we picked up the A6 in 2011.
The price difference between the 2.0TDi, and 3.0TDi was definitely more than 4.5L (otherwise, we wouldn't be driving a 2.0TDi). I believe it was around 7-8L IIRC and at that time it didn't make sense to pay almost 10L (landed difference - with taxes) extra for more power that would never be used (at least in the city, where the car spends more time).

As for the MMI, Bose, and LED lights - those are pretty expensive options actually! I believe just the LED lights costed around 2.xL, and the Bose and MMI touch with the bigger screen added a bit too.

We were actually planning on getting a 2.0TDi model with the Bose and MMI touch, as those offered daily practicality - over a 3.0TDi. It's a separate case that we weren't prepared to wait 4 months for a customised car, and hence ended up with the base 2.0TDi (still wasn't able to convince anyone on more power!).

Plus, for all you know, Audi is just keeping some more room for negotiations.

On a more serious note - with the C Class, and 3 series, etc. retailing at 40+ ex-showroom for the higher specced trims - we might as well get used to the higher prices.

Last edited by lamborghini : 24th August 2015 at 17:26.
Old 24th August 2015, 18:16   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
What I am about to say is probably inaccurate, but it was the case when we picked up the A6 in 2011.
The price difference between the 2.0TDi, and 3.0TDi was definitely more than 4.5L (otherwise, we wouldn't be driving a 2.0TDi). I believe it was around 7-8L IIRC and at that time it didn't make sense to pay almost 10L (landed difference - with taxes) extra for more power that would never be used (at least in the city, where the car spends more time).

As for the MMI, Bose, and LED lights - those are pretty expensive options actually! I believe just the LED lights costed around 2.xL, and the Bose and MMI touch with the bigger screen added a bit too.

We were actually planning on getting a 2.0TDi model with the Bose and MMI touch, as those offered daily practicality - over a 3.0TDi. It's a separate case that we weren't prepared to wait 4 months for a customised car, and hence ended up with the base 2.0TDi (still wasn't able to convince anyone on more power!).

Plus, for all you know, Audi is just keeping some more room for negotiations.

On a more serious note - with the C Class, and 3 series, etc. retailing at 40+ ex-showroom for the higher specced trims - we might as well get used to the higher prices.
I too was looking to buy an A6 around 2 years ago and had even paid up for it. However the dealer went back on the discounts he had offered so I cancelled it - with great difficulty i might add.

The 2.0 litre with MMI, Bose and LED lights was offered to me for a mouth watering 41lacs after discounts. The 3.0 litre was on offer for 46.5 but without these options.

In any case, the point i'm trying to make that Audi is keeping a huge margin here for negotiations. Plus over the last 2 years the Euro has come down by almost 15% which none of the European manufacturers have passed on to the consumers - except BMW with a minor price cut.

Also other than Audi, none of the other big 3 charge extra for features like lights, premium sound, user interface etc. So its even more surprising that they should have the highest sticker price.
Old 24th August 2015, 18:26   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk123 View Post
In any case, the point i'm trying to make that Audi is keeping a huge margin here for negotiations. Plus over the last 2 years the Euro has come down by almost 15% which none of the European manufacturers have passed on to the consumers - except BMW with a minor price cut.

Also other than Audi, none of the other big 3 charge extra for features like lights, premium sound, user interface etc. So its even more surprising that they should have the highest sticker price.
Completely agree with you on the pricing - as I mentioned, it's in tune with other manufacturers too (Mercedes, and BMW). When we picked up the A6, it was newly launched with no discounts. We paid around 55L for it (company registered). In comparison, my friend who picked up a C220 paid 52-53L for a company registered car! The C-Class is a segment lower, and people are lapping it up at those prices, so it is not surprising to expect the bigger siblings to be priced higher!

As for the features - Mercedes doesn't offer LED headlights, or a premium system, or anything actually! In fact, I think the Mercedes has the least amount of features in the segment - artifical leather, no air suspension, 17" alloys, etc.
BMW on the other hand does have these optional features - but like Audi (currently) - it just depends on the trim. There is the base 5 series, and base A6; modern line 5 series, and technology pack A6 with all the goodies like LED lights, etc.

Also - the deal you got was indeed a steal! Friend ended up paying 46-47L for the base A6 without sunroof, etc. recently in Mumbai. This is after he got some excellent discounts.
Closed Thread