Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 1st September 2016, 11:07   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Automakers lining up electric and hybrid cars in the next 3 years!

This article captures the difference in ethics across Indian vs. International car manufacturers.

Indian companies like Maruti and Tata only care about benefitting from the tax relief that a mild hybrid system brings. In Europe, mild hybrids are called start stop and are standard for most new cars. Pathetic!
Screwdriva is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2016, 11:36   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post

Indian companies like Maruti and Tata only care about benefitting from the tax relief that a mild hybrid system brings. In Europe, mild hybrids are called start stop and are standard for most new cars. Pathetic!
Necessity is the mother of all inventions. Due to the tax benefits, Tata's and Maruti's are R & D'íng mild hybrids. I don't see anything wrong in that as the Indian consumer is going to be benefitted, which in the first place was the intention of giving incentives ( tax).
The Foreign companies don't even bother offering their hybrid line-up, as they see no business sense in importing without any tax rebates. In my opinion, this approach is very consumer un-friendly.
riteshritesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2016, 18:08   #18
BHPian

All these mild hybrids are pure hogwash. The buyer doesn't gain anything apart from the initial pricing, a benifit I don't know how long it is going to last. The moment these start-stop stuff are de-recognized as a 'hybrid' technology, the R&D time involved is a total waste. I don't see any spike in Ciaz, Ertiga volumes due to this either. They've not contributed one bit in lowering the running costs, by means of increased FE.

On the other end, Mahindra seems to be working on the full electric end. Which good, the penetration is awfully slow. What's the point of working on new models, when the existing models haven't found their place yet in existing markets and not expanded to a wider audience. Nissan with it's Leaf faces similar challenges (infact much much more than Mahindra).

Which brings us to the pure hybrids. Its the technology that has a relatively easier entry point for users, that does not need an infrastructure investment unlike pure electric. A vast majority deciding to introduce in the D2 and luxury segment isn't going to benifit the public. The entries worth mentioning are the (under consideration) Polo/Vento and to a less extent the Corrolla Hybrid. The Corrolla Hybrid would likely have a sticker price to the tune of 25-27 lakhs (a 5 lakh premium over their petrol CVT variant). Polo/Vento (if it becomes a reality) would likely sit at 15-20 lakh ballpark, would likely be the only achievable entry for us.

If the government wants to go the hybrid/electric way, owners should get lot more incentives than the excise duty benifit they get today. The technology is expensive and unless the above happens, the mass market is never going to be able to afford an electric/hybrid vehicle.

Where I live, taxis have taken a liking towards the Prius and in one rare case the Tesla. There are rare privately used hybrids like the Yaris hybrid. A colleague uses the Lexus hybrid commutes 45 km one way.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2017, 19:29   #19
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: FAME India: Govt. scheme for adoption and manufacture of EVs

Govt withdraws subsidy to mild hybrids under FAME scheme.

Mild hybrid technology will stand excluded from the benefits of the FAME India scheme with effect from April 1, 2017;

Earlier, mild hybrid, strong hybrid, plug-in hybrid and pure electric vehicles were given incentives under the scheme.

Quote:
While extending the Phase I of the scheme to September 30, the notification, however, said "sales of mild hybrid vehicles by dealer to retail purchasers effected up to March 31, 2017 will not be affected
Maruti Suzuki will continue to offer the Mild Hybrid variants.
Quote:
We will continue to provide value to customers through this technology. We do not expect any significant impact due to withdrawal of the FAME incentive
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 2nd April 2017 at 19:33.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2017, 19:57   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Maruti Suzuki will continue to offer the Mild Hybrid variants.
Will that result in Ciaz Diesel loosing it's price advantage in NCR ?
With no incentives, I guess Maruti will offer Mild Hybrid at same price it was earlier when launched.

I guess the Government is looking at promoting Hybrids in a different way. Let's wait & watch.
CarguyNish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2017, 20:00   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post

I guess the Government is looking at promoting Hybrids in a different way. Let's wait & watch.
Launch of hybrids/EV's from Toyota- Suzuki alliance can be expected shortly!
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote