Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 29th April 2015, 23:37   #76
BHPian

Default Re: Power of 1+1: Tata GenX Nano pre-launch exchange programme for existing Nano owners

Booked the AMT today with a 5K advance in Concorde Motors , BLR.
The sales team also seemed excited about this much anticipated launch (resurgence?) of the new Nano. Looked like they have been trained not to use the word 'cheapest'. :-)
As many have said here , OTR should be in the range of 3.5L.
Anyway, 35K kms on my 2009 Nano LX. They offered 60-65 + 20K bonus (which is not official from Tata as yet) as part of the exchange program + the CRY offer.
May 1st for the official launch , TD should be possible by the second week of May and delivery by end of May.
Twist addressed the lack of power steering, passenger mirror and BT music system. And now the AMT and openable boot. Perfect for Bengaluru!
Glad that I did not exchange it a year ago when they offered 95K for my current Nano.
Awaiting call from Concorde...
mail2sekh is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2015, 12:04   #77
BHPian

Default Re: Power of 1+1: Tata GenX Nano pre-launch exchange programme for existing Nano owners

We can some more photos in overdrive and other media websites :

http://overdrive.in/news/image-gallery-tata-nano-genx/

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...en-394725.aspx

Most of them are going to publish their reviews on 1st May. So, probably this weekend, we can see their tv shows what they have to say. But, the way they have presented in on their websites and on their twitter accounts, I am getting a feeling that there will be a positive response.
turbo_delight is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2015, 02:30   #78
BHPian

So....

This just came in the mail today!

Another unique marketing strategy?
The Zest key, the Bolt Card ... and now this.
Its a nice soft touch finished, matte golden photo frame. With the brochure and a sample CRY certificate enclosed.

Power of 1+1: Tata GenX Nano pre-launch exchange programme for existing Nano owners-1dsc_0203.jpg

Power of 1+1: Tata GenX Nano pre-launch exchange programme for existing Nano owners-2dsc_0204.jpg

Power of 1+1: Tata GenX Nano pre-launch exchange programme for existing Nano owners-3dsc_0205.jpg

Power of 1+1: Tata GenX Nano pre-launch exchange programme for existing Nano owners-4dsc_0206.jpg

Power of 1+1: Tata GenX Nano pre-launch exchange programme for existing Nano owners-5dsc_0208.jpg

Power of 1+1: Tata GenX Nano pre-launch exchange programme for existing Nano owners-6dsc_0209.jpg

Power of 1+1: Tata GenX Nano pre-launch exchange programme for existing Nano owners-7dsc_0210.jpg

Power of 1+1: Tata GenX Nano pre-launch exchange programme for existing Nano owners-8dsc_0211.jpg

Glad to know that they have not forgotten their existing Nano customers.

I don't know what happens next, whether I get a good price and buy the GenX, or I wait it out for the Kite / Glade / Glide.

What I do know is - competition is healthy! Tata has upped the ante. Making a strong effort for a comeback. And not a half-hearted one.

e.g. A lot of fresh Amaze owners can thank Tata Zest - it forced Honda to put in a touchscreen 2DIN system.
So either ways - it actually is a win-win for all.

Tata lovers can keep cheering while Tata haters will also stand to gain something because other manufacturers will be forced to make some changes somewhere.
Consumer wins.

Let's hope this time Tata wins too - reaps the benefits of the seeds it sows.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2015, 12:21   #79
BHPian

I too just received it. A neat little package and good effort by Tata Motors to entice old customers. While they are definitely improving, the key is to provide a good reasonable price for existing customers.

I had a Nano LX 2012 Pearl White and had exchanged it for Nano Twist XT last year when there was a good discount on offer. Due to a shoulder problem I had to go for it; however the price for previous Nano was not up to the mark and even the SA agreed when I had a detailed discussion. I hope this time around they price it really well and also give a reasonable good price to existing Nano owners as well.

Personally I feel that it is a very under rated car. For city conditions it is one of the best one to have given the amazing space, peppy engine it provides. I never had any major issues in these many years of ownership from Nano LX or Nano Twist. The serve the purpose perfectly.

Keeping fingers crossed this time and wishing Tata Motors the best of luck!
SSD2122 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2015, 17:05   #80
BHPian

Has anybody actually exchanged their old nano? Just curious how much are Tata offering for the old cars and if their valuations are in line with the market.

I wanted to exchange my Feb 2013 Nano for the new one. I am currently in Amsterdam and would be coming down in June. Hope that the offer would be valid till then.
srj1266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2015, 11:04   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Keeping all the other aspects apart, I just hope they wont give nonsense valuation for the incoming Nanos. At least Tata themselves should offer decent buyback prices if they want customers to exchange their old cars. Last time when the Nano Twist was launched, my uncle went in for exchanging his 18 month old 4k km run Nano for exchange. He was given a value of 55k. Come on, I haven't heard of a better joke than that. That is how they axe their own foot.

I agree with you. The earlier buy back offers for nano from Tata Motors were hopeless ones. One of the limited edition nano known to me is an example. 2012 december end purchased (2012 second half manufactured) papaya orange limited edition (with alloy wheels, stereo etc) nano run 13K single owner without any accidents or claims in true 'showroom condition'. Owner was expecting a selling price of 1.5 lakh. A number of confirmed offers came for 1.15 to 1.25 lakh. The buy back scheme for nano with tata motors was checked and their buy back offer was 70 thousand ! It was a shame, not only for tata motors, but for we nano owners also.

My request to tata motors is not to make such meaningless offers any more. We purchased the nano because it is an indigenous effort and it is a good car as far as the convenience and maintenance cost are concerned. Please do not feel that we nano owners are poor people and without any basic education to do simple calculations to understand the trap in the buy back offers.
KMohanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2015, 13:02   #82
BHPian

I hope TML has some good take aways from the Bolt pricing disaster which will ensure they dont repeat the same mistake with the GenX Nano.
Agreed that the Nano has gained a reputation as a 'cheap' car. IMHO this is not something to be ashamed of but needs to be treated as a strong point for TML.
What they need to emphasise on, is that it's a fantastic value for money car at a low price point.
Trying to position it close to the Alto would be disastrous, just as trying to price the Bolt close to the Swift was.
The best strategy would probably be to start with a killer price and then raise it in proportion to the demand.
perty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2015, 14:55   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Keeping all the other aspects apart, I just hope they wont give nonsense valuation for the incoming Nanos. At least Tata themselves should offer decent buyback prices if they want customers to exchange their old cars. Last time when the Nano Twist was launched, my uncle went in for exchanging his 18 month old 4k km run Nano for exchange. He was given a value of 55k. Come on, I haven't heard of a better joke than that. That is how they axe their own foot.
Totally agree with you. In 2012, I had made up my mind to exchange my 2007 Indica xeta for the Manza and approached Tata motors for the same. they gave me an offer of 80K when I had a buyer at 1.3 Lacs. no loyalty bonus or any special offer considering that we have 4 Tata cars in our house.

I hope at least this time they have some sense and offer a good price.
srj1266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2015, 18:10   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMohanan View Post
I agree with you. The earlier buy back offers for nano from Tata Motors were hopeless ones. One of the limited edition nano known to me is an example. 2012 december end purchased (2012 second half manufactured) papaya orange limited edition (with alloy wheels, stereo etc) nano run 13K single owner without any accidents or claims in true 'showroom condition'. Owner was expecting a selling price of 1.5 lakh. A number of confirmed offers came for 1.15 to 1.25 lakh. The buy back scheme for nano with tata motors was checked and their buy back offer was 70 thousand ! It was a shame, not only for tata motors, but for we nano owners also.

My request to tata motors is not to make such meaningless offers any more. We purchased the nano because it is an indigenous effort and it is a good car as far as the convenience and maintenance cost are concerned. Please do not feel that we nano owners are poor people and without any basic education to do simple calculations to understand the trap in the buy back offers.

Ditto same experience!
Special Edition November 2012. Last year - when it had run around 10k kms.
Alloys. JVC system et al !
Paltry quote. Ridiculously low. Would rather just keep it around !

Hoping they quote better now.
Although - now seeing the T-Bhp thread getting more and more inclined towards Kite / Glade / Glide.

I still am in LOVE with the AMT.
But would love to upgrade atleast 1 level. Especially for the wife.

If I could afford it would still keep a Nano as my 3rd car - just for my joy rides in the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perty View Post
I hope TML has some good take aways from the Bolt pricing disaster which will ensure they dont repeat the same mistake with the GenX Nano.
Agreed that the Nano has gained a reputation as a 'cheap' car. IMHO this is not something to be ashamed of but needs to be treated as a strong point for TML.
What they need to emphasise on, is that it's a fantastic value for money car at a low price point.
Trying to position it close to the Alto would be disastrous, just as trying to price the Bolt close to the Swift was.
The best strategy would probably be to start with a killer price and then raise it in proportion to the demand.

The Nano and Alto have and will continue to have a minimum 1.3 to 1.7 lakh different - VERSION TO VERSION.
And still Nano will come up on top in terms of features and space. VFM & low maintenance.
Will loose out on Engine size, brakes.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2015, 21:17   #85
BHPian

Speaking in general about the exchange bonus and the old car being valued by the dealers, this is my take. When I was booking Twist last year, Concorde and KHT motors would be giving the exchange bonus only if the vehicle is being really exchanged. However, Prerana gave it without any really exchange and a simple photocopy of my Alto RC book. In case of multi-dealer, the old car should be strictly exchanged if only the dealer meets the market price. I don't see the fun even if he matches the market price inclusive of the exchange bonus.

A general observation has been that dealers give the exchange bonus benefit without real exchange in case of laggard sales car being under consideration. Or during festive seasons or year-end sales when they badly need to meet their target.
PNTLovesNano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2015, 09:20   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
Ditto same experience!
Special Edition November 2012. Last year - when it had run around 10k kms.
Alloys. JVC system et al !
Paltry quote. Ridiculously low. Would rather just keep it around !
Ditto same experience here too. Nano 2011, 20k kms, added alloys, music system
I was given a quote of 40k and was told it is equal to market price. I dont get why they want to make margins of 40k on each car!

This when I was about to write out a cheque for the Twist. I told him I will hold on to my decision of buying a Tata car till you actually value your own cars correctly.
the SA tried to sell further. I asked him to answer one question, if your cars depreciate 80% in 3 years, why would I want to buy another depreciation disaster? No answer to that except a sheepish smile

I suspect if I go back this year they might ask me to pay them 20k to exchange my Nano. Let us see how that goes.

A truly efficient city car, potential sales of which are destroyed due to their own horrendous valuations.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2015, 11:46   #87
BHPian

From their website (http://www.tatanano.com/powerof1+1/) one may start hoping that the best price for your old vehicle will be given till you reach the tiny double asterisks at the end of the sentence later that bring you to the T&C reality.

I am yet to have an experience with Tata on how they value their own vehicles, but I had an unpleasant one with Bajaj scooters about nine years ago. I had bought a Bajaj Wave in 2005 with an OTR price of 41K. An year later the Bajaj Kristal was launched and my wife wanted the new one. I went to the showroom to check if they have any exchange offers and the "experts" evaluated my 2000 km run, accident free, almost showroom condition two wheeler worth to be 3000 INR. That is less than 10% of the of the OTR price after 13 months. Wife just said "never buy anything from Bajaj again, they themselves agree that their products are worthless". Last year she even objected to buying a Bajaj ceiling fan, still remembering the old story, but since it was the only company selling a Disney Mermaid ceiling fan, my daughter's sad puppy look made her reluctantly agree.

Two months ago I sold the Bajaj Wave for 7.5K after using it for 22,000 kms.

Bajaj, once the undisputed leader in scooters, no longer makes scooters.

I sincerely wish Tata would understand the meaning of the word "Guaranteed" and that of the phrase "best market price". Letting the dealers make more money by undervaluing their older vehicles may not the wisest thing to do for Tata.
sun_king is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2015, 14:45   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Ditto same experience here too. Nano 2011, 20k kms, added alloys, music system
I was given a quote of 40k and was told it is equal to market price. I dont get why they want to make margins of 40k on each car!

I suspect if I go back this year they might ask me to pay them 20k to exchange my Nano. Let us see how that goes.
The SA that I dealt with last year was a shade better.
He agreed that it is a bad quote. Furthermore he said - sir, if you have a better quote please forward me some proof of it - like a xerox or a website screenshot. I would like to forward it to the company as feedback since many people are complaining of poor quotes.

I did do the needful back then and the fellow seemed like a nice guy.

I hope TML have learnt something and will offer better evaluation now!

More so, knowing that almost 70% of a Tata car can be re-cycled... let's hope they make better use of it.

I guess the Manza Club Class that came with 60% buy-back price guarantee after 3 years was a good way to go. They should offer more of that!

P.S.: TML themselves say while offering AMC that it will fetch a higher re-sale price but forget to factor it in when buying back !

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun_king View Post
From their website (http://www.tatanano.com/powerof1+1/) one may start hoping that the best price for your old vehicle will be given till you reach the tiny double asterisks at the end of the sentence later that bring you to the T&C reality.

Two months ago I sold the Bajaj Wave for 7.5K after using it for 22,000 kms.

Bajaj, once the undisputed leader in scooters, no longer makes scooters.

I sincerely wish Tata would understand the meaning of the word "Guaranteed" and that of the phrase "best market price". Letting the dealers make more money by undervaluing their older vehicles may not the wisest thing to do for Tata.
WOW!
That has to be the worst case I have heard so far.

I remember back in the days - 1 week old cellphones were bought off and sold by dealers as 'new' - unboxed but new to unsuspecting buyers.
Sometimes using transparent cellotape over the box to make it looked sealed.
Wonder if that can be done with cars & bikes too?

3000 Rs.? What was he even thinking!
Dr.Suraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2015, 17:40   #89
BHPian

Bhpian BBhat and I went to Concorde Motors (Dairy circle, Bangalore) to check out the GenX.

First Impression :
They had it in "Damson Purple" . I was expecting to see the Red colored one that we see in the reviews. How can one assimilate that its a new car when it looks very familiar? Meh.

The openable hatch
I went directly to the rear and tried to open the hatch. I saw a handle on the boot door and tried to open it like a normal door. It turns out that we need the key to open it, since there is no remote release at the drivers seat. I hope the Mall security doesn't realize that it is a Genx Nano and insist on us opening it. Because that would involve us stopping the car, getting out/handing over the key to the guard, opening the hatch, closing the hatch , retrieving the key and then starting the vehicle.

Boot space:, I've taken a picture with a Helmet, at the bottom of this post. There is an extra protective heat shield mat which is screwed to the top of the engine cover using wing nuts. From the ad pics, I was expecting a deeper boot. The AMT eats up another 10-20 ltrs so not expecting to have a "wow!" impression from first time viewers.

I read in one GenX review that we cannot use the Nano to do apartment transfers. I have done two apartment transfers (ok 1 bhk stuff) using my Nano, so I believe this openable hatch can only help with the loading

The interiors:
The chrome rings around the AC vents, The zest-like steering and the elegant dark grey seat covers with orange piping add to the 'face-lift' changes. The Headlight and wiper stalks also have been upgraded. I did not realize that Tata had provided cladding to the B and C pillar from the Twist onwards, so that was a surprise. The power window buttons and frame behind the Gear lever was sliding in the slot. QC where are you!!

The Gear shift lever is bent (not straight) and falls to the hand more easily. I had my 6'4" friend (BBhat) sit in the driver seat and it looked like the steering wheel could have been placed a little higher. Otherwise he was comfortable in it.

The ABC pedals seem shifted to the left. I seemed a little weird to me.

Overall, I think I will wait till December, since I'm still paying off my Zest emi's and my Nano will be good enough to do present city runs. Then , I plan to buy this or the Nano-non-openable-hatch-with-AMT that they will eventually think of.
Attached Thumbnails
Power of 1+1: Tata GenX Nano pre-launch exchange programme for existing Nano owners-p_20150506_141747.jpg  

Last edited by nijelj : 6th May 2015 at 17:42.
nijelj is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2015, 17:52   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
nijelj (Power of 1+1: Tata GenX Nano pre-launch exchange programme for existing Nano owners) : It turns out that we need the key to open it, since there is no remote release at the drivers seat. I hope the Mall security doesn't realize that it is a Genx Nano and insist on us opening it. .
As has already been said in the reviews, the hatch can be opened only when the engine is off. Must be a safety feature, though not sure why.

Hopefully the mall security guys wont realise that this boot can be opened.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote