Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 21st January 2016, 16:07   #136
Team-BHP Support

Default re: VW's Polo-based compact sedan, Ameo unveiled!

Major buzzkill and disappointment. I was expecting a notch back like the old Accent Viva. This is the good old ugly compact sedan. Sorry but however good the execution is, it does not have any appeal.

VW couldn't have launched this at a worse time.

The market is clearly shifting from compact sedans to premium hatch backs. Just ask Hyundai and Maruti with the Elite i20 and Baleno sales.

VW could have pulled a rabbit out of the hat by launching a notch back version of the Polo/Vento. This would have kept the styling of the polo but addressed the biggest drawback of the Polo, rear seat comfort. A more spacious notch back Polo with a larger boot vs this compact sedan.
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st January 2016, 16:15   #137
Senior - BHPian

Too bland! I was expecting a much much better design from VW this time around. Seems, they still haven't gauged what Indian public wants in their new car. Can't see it making any impact among the buyers. Only way they can attract some buyers is with a killer pricing.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2016, 16:16   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks quite decent but they could had designed a better tail lamp. Guess the reverse lamp is present only on one side. How much do they save with all these??
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2016, 16:42   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

From whatever known so far:

The good
  • Looks ok by compact sedan standards.
  • Based on the report, some good features not present/common in the segment. AVN System with Mirror Link, Rear Sensor + Camera, cruise control(from previous leaks), Auto dimming IRVM.
  • Retains tyre sizing from the Vento/Polo. Good to see that tyres have not been downsized. Will help give that planted look.
  • Expected to give that premium feel associated with Polo/Vento with build and fit and finish.

The Bad
  • Yet Another Compact Sedan. No wow factor and nothing to attract the mass market.
  • Since it is based on the Polo, the rear space is still a concern. If rear space is like Polo, this whole thing is totally pointless

The X Factor: The 1.0 TSI Engine. Although rumors indicate otherwise, that is the only thing that can now make it stand out to an extent.

At max it can pull some sales from the Zest and Aspire (Which is the small group willing to look beyond the Dzire, Amaze and Xcent), cannibalization is guaranteed.

Whichever way we look at it, definitely don't see it 'Raising the bar in the segment' or becoming 'Game changer' that VW is calling it out to be.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2016, 17:02   #140
Senior - BHPian

First thing which came to mind after seeing the rear of Ameo is this!
Attached Thumbnails
VW's Polo-based compact sedan, Ameo unveiled!-block.jpg  

Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2016, 17:22   #141
Senior - BHPian

To me this car reminds of Logan/Verito. Though I don't like any of the cars from this segment but Indigo CS and Aspire look reasonably ok.
Old 21st January 2016, 17:40   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
VW could have pulled a rabbit out of the hat by launching a notch back version of the Polo/Vento. This would have kept the styling of the polo but addressed the biggest drawback of the Polo, rear seat comfort. A more spacious notch back Polo with a larger boot vs this compact sedan.
Agreed. This segment was never a kicker anyway. MY guess is they want to get into taxi segment may be. This priced right can get into the taxi fleet and fill the roads.

And i believe they will price it slightly higher than market segment cars from competition making it even more difficult.

Only saving grace could be engine configuration but we need to wait and see. To me the GTI is the only VW car i actually love to experiment. But VW need to get that 1.8 TSI engine into the indian market on that GT platform.

It would be a superb fun car.
Old 21st January 2016, 17:44   #143
BHPian

I don't think this looks exciting at all! Not that i was expecting anything better from VW, but dont think this will challenge any of the current players.
Old 21st January 2016, 18:43   #144

Oh my God. The car looks terrible. I think people will even stop buying Vento and Polo after VW launches this.
Old 21st January 2016, 18:52   #145

Why dont we BHPians raise a 'Public Interest Litigation' to Govt. of India and request them to revise the 4m length restriction for tax benefits to 4.5m so that we don't have to see such ugly ducklings again. Seriously!!!
Old 21st January 2016, 19:11   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_sam View Post
Oh my God. The car looks terrible. I think people will even stop buying Vento and Polo after VW launches this.

What is the logic here ? Why would people stop buying Vento or Polo ?
Old 21st January 2016, 19:44   #147
BHPian

So even the Germans couldn't design a good sub-4 meter car eh ?
It would have looked much better if the designers had used a French Curve along with a drafter. Sigh.

Didn't like the rear one bit, almost looks like Verito Vibe. I would stick to the Polo or borrow some more money from my friends to get a Vento but not this.
Old 21st January 2016, 19:51   #148
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd January 2016 at 10:59.
TheStranger is offline   Received Infraction
Old 21st January 2016, 19:55   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Major buzzkill and disappointment. I was expecting a notch back like the old Accent Viva.

+1 - a notch back vento-polo would have been great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

A la Chevy SRV. I love that design.
Old 21st January 2016, 20:32   #150
BHPian

I have a feeling that this might look good in flesh. At first i did not like the newly launched Dzire with the boot shortened. But then, as days pass by, i began to get used to it.

Even though premium hatch backs are the talk of the season, a car with a boot is always a better option for most of the buyers albeit the miniscule boot.
Closed Thread