Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 2nd May 2015, 09:42   #1
D4D
BHPian

Default Proposal: Vehicle sunset policy

Quote:
Very soon, if the government has its way, the car you've been driving for many years could be pulled off the road when it has reached the "end of its life" — it doesn't matter how old the vehicle is.
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/47127055.cms

After the move by NGT to ban cars in Delhi, things don't look good for people who own older cars, whether they are diesel or petrol.

IMHO, this is not the right way to curb pollution. We must have good fitness standards tests. And we've paid tax for 15 years right?

Last edited by D4D : 2nd May 2015 at 09:44.
D4D is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2015, 10:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Proposal: Vehicle sunset policy

'Making a new car is more polluting (industrial) to the environment and makes a deficit in the earth's resources than maintaining older ones keeping their pollution strictly under check'

True or false? Based on pollution alone, not on economics or employment.
thoma is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2015, 11:34   #3
M35
BHPian

• What implementable measures the authorities are going to formulate to judge objectively the road-worthiness of a vehicle will definitely be interesting.
  • Having said that I find this move way more logical than banning a vehicle purely based on its age.
  • They are better of having a watchdog to check the quality/ long-term road-worthiness of vehicles rolled out at the manufacturing level first.
M35 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2015, 11:51   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Developing world class public transport and making cities pedestrian friendly is what reduces pollution - not these short-sighted / hare brained ideas.

Good point - Thoma!
phamilyman is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2015, 12:57   #5
BHPian

What sort of guidelines does the government come up here will be the key. Perhaps strict implementation of fitness tests once a vehicle is beyond 10 years old. On the face of it, it does seem logical to me to pull vehicles off the road based on their road worthiness rather than having a blanket age ban on vehicles.
abhii176 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2015, 13:19   #6
BHPian

This could be a long term strategy for the inevitable transfer to electric vehicles. But it will have to be in terms of economic incentives i. e. Lower insurance /tax /subsidy for newer, more efficient vehicles.

It cannot be successful as a cold turkey strategy.
drsingh is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2015, 14:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/47127055.cms

After the move by NGT to ban cars in Delhi, things don't look good for people who own older cars, whether they are diesel or petrol.

IMHO, this is not the right way to curb pollution. We must have good fitness standards tests. And we've paid tax for 15 years right?
Why not?
I support this, over a blanket ban.
A well maintained 20 year old vehicle should be allowed to ply on roads, than a 4 year old battered one.
akshay4587 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2015, 01:19   #8
BHPian

Default Re: Proposal: Vehicle sunset policy

Well in this case I would replace the whole buying of cars with a leasing of cars where the cars are not 'sold' anymore but leased by the manufacturer for 10 years and then taken back. The manufacturer can reclaim what ever he can, however he can. Why should you buy a car, with all these caveats? This way I pay less as I don't own it, I keep it as long as personally and legally possible, may be trade in for a new model (less polluting if I may say so) every 5 years and then return it. I pay for what I use! Why not? That way all this near sighted laws don't even need to exist! There could even be a flat rate for ownership based on no of kms per year and upgrade cost for each exchange. At the end if I have found a soul-mate in the car I pay some hefty money to the government and keep it as long as I can afford it. I always wonder are these the same people whom we sent up there to make these laws? Beats me.

Last edited by GTO : 4th May 2015 at 16:24. Reason: Typo
man_and_machine is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2015, 01:23   #9
Senior - BHPian

These guys should take an education in what MOT is from the Government in UK.

Every year there should be an MOT renewal for cars where in all the road worthiness parameters are checked and only if corrected, an MOT certificate should be issued and if a vehicle is being driven around without a valid MOT, it should be directly confiscated.

These blanket bans looks more like the Automotive Industry Lobby putting its weight on the government to increase their own car sales.
humyum is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2015, 01:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
This could be a long term strategy for the inevitable transfer to electric vehicles.
Who's going to produce the electricity for those vehicles? And from where?

In a country where extended power outages in the name of 'load shedding' is the norm, how feasible is this allegedly "green" electric locomotion?

IMHO its just the replacement of one form of pollution and inefficient distribution of energy with another.
Steeroid is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2015, 16:18   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post

Who's going to produce the electricity for those vehicles? And from where?

In a country where extended power outages in the name of 'load shedding' is the norm, how feasible is this allegedly "green" electric locomotion?

IMHO its just the replacement of one form of pollution and inefficient distribution of energy with another.
You misunderstood me. I meant that going Forward this could be the way to wean off people from fossil fuel towards electric. The electricity will be produced by fossil fuels in this country for a long time. But it's 40-50% more efficient to use fossil fuel sourced electricity in the car instead of burning fuel in the car itself.

And renewable sources are becoming cost competitive with fossil fuels.

These drastic shifts in policy are taking place all over the world in grossly polluted cities.

Fuel policy is a highly complex subject subject to diplomatic relations, economic environment, political considerations, social well being.

And electric vehicles made from the ground up are reaching a stage where they are better in performance too.

Its would take at least 20-25 years for electric vehicles to become mainstream from the moment there is a policy shift anyway.
drsingh is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2015, 16:37   #12
Senior - BHPian

Happy to know that the vehicle manufacturing industry are much loved siblings of the government.

I've said it before I'll say it again, what about the near-ash spewing transport buses, bulldozers and generators for commercial sector that form the bulk of pollution?

Both diesel and petrol will be scrapped irrespective of age or condition? How is this even logical? Can anyone clarify what's the percentage of minimum pollutants that should be found in car exhaust in order to fail the test? Is there any difference between diesel & petrol exhaust limits or are they just going by age now? We all know diesel is the one that emits NOx, not petrol. Where is the distinction for that?

How about road-taxes paid which results in zero-resale to the owner? Isnt it more of a total loss? People wouldn't touch a perfectly healthy car with a barge pole if its 5+ years old for fear of losing value by watching the car go over the "sunset". Vehicles will be a total write-off because of no demand for 2nd hand fearing this law as the definition of "beyond repair" hasn't been drafted at all. There are cars that become as good as new after an engine transplant.

Last but least for an already small country like India where is the place to recycle old cars? When do they plan to start a zero-waste recycle plant and if they do won't the pollution generated from the humongous energy needed to crush, melt and re-process metal & plastic of old cars cause 10x the pollution per car than if it was just allowed to run?

Hey SIAM, good job.. you just lost a future buyer.

Last edited by dark.knight : 4th May 2015 at 16:39.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2015, 17:35   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Insurance companies watch out for your pay outs. Many owners may prefer crashing their cars willingly as claiming a total loss would be a more profitable idea!

We, as customers should also be ready for increased premium to counter these tactics!
Just a wild thought.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2015, 18:16   #14
Senior - BHPian

When are committees going to start actually thinking about the problem at hand? Perhaps if roads and speedbreakers were better in Bangalore, there would be less traffic, less pollution, perhaps if maintenance of public transport like buses was upped so that they quit spewing out thick black clouds of smoke, there would be less pollution, perhaps overloaded old trucks ought to be banned. A someone said, it is more harmful to manufacture a new car than use the one you already have. Also, at the end of the day, this is a 3rd world country!! Not everyone has the income to support such a cycle of buying new cars.

Reforms and rules such as this, reek of so much money being shuffled around in bribes that is just disgusts me since this is not the ideal approach to curb pollution but just one where someone is making a truck load of cash. Highly disappointing behavior from our government
IshaanIan is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2015, 12:37   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
This could be a long term strategy for the inevitable transfer to electric vehicles. But it will have to be in terms of economic incentives i. e. Lower insurance /tax /subsidy for newer, more efficient vehicles.

It cannot be successful as a cold turkey strategy.
Something cooking in policy circles along these lines.
http://m.businesstoday.in/story/govt.../1/221299.html
drsingh is online now   Reply With Quote