Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 11th May 2015, 12:50   #16
BHPian

Default Re: General Motors set to storm India as Korean costs climb

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Honda was almost written off but they came back with a bang. With the right products and right strategy, GM bouncing back too is a possibility.
Smartcat you are bang on but missed one point...viz. right leadership. Many global majors don't have the right leadership in India, and whatever they have, IMHO, they probably don't hold them accountable strongly enough. Slightly OT, but look at Ford and their Ecosport story. Great product, good strategy on paper, but poor leadership and execution (and waiting for ix25 to run away with the market from them in front of their eyes).

What GM India needs to do, is to start holding the local management accountable and show a healthy disregard for excuses. As you said, if Honda could do it, why not GM, or Ford, or Fiat?
Contrapunto is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 20:52   #17
Senior - BHPian

We've heard this before.

For a company that was established in India in 1994 and even had local assembly operations well before independence, they've really managed to shoot themselves in the foot and several other places.

Product-wise they've been going from good (Opel) to indifferent (Chevy-branded Daewoos) to terrible with the current crop of chinese crap masquerading as Chevys.

I don't see how they're going to reverse that - because that downward spiral of their product line is indicative of their view of the market.

Give peanuts & get monkeys, GM.
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 21:31   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

The top four manufacturers will start every meeting this week with this news item projected on the screen and five minutes of

Honestly, this is not a statement that someone should make if people should take them seriously. Being optimistic is one thing, but this is over-optimistic.
Cars like the Beat diesel, Cruze and the original Tavera had a good potential in India. Thanks to the ultra lazy attitude of the management, these products are nearly forgotten.

On a side note, I guess Chevy should sell the beat diesel engines to Maruti so that they can plonk it into the celerio instead of giving that two cylinder engine. Win-win for both company One will make money out of engines only and the other will gain better customer satisfaction.
audioholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 21:40   #19
BHPian

The best shot at getting anywhere close to that 5% mark would be to get the Sonic twins to there shop floors, real quick. As of now, there is nothing on Indian roads that have the look of a 'Sonic'. And the name is catchy too, Indians like catchy names.

If they wait a couple of years the competition (Maruti, Hyundai) would have already dealt with any faint chance that Chevy had in the first place.

Also, with rumors around the Toyota Vios/Yaris they might have to fight too many reputed challengers!

Opel made good cars, I guess it was a dumb decision to pull its plug in India. Just for that reason, it has a bad brand recall. I have used couple of Opels and they have a super solid build! But some still believe that Opel is a Premium brand, they might have some luck if they bring in the C+ segment sedans may be, just guessing.
anand.shankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 22:41   #20
BHPian

I do not have any grouse with Chevrolet India. In fact I rode an Aveo for 5 years and I got pretty good service at the ASS. The Aveo has a good fan following even today in US and in fact was ranked #35 in affordable small cars in 2011.
Ford and Chevrolet are equally popular abroad but somehow Indians are not favouring Chevrolet even though both the ASS here are at par.
The Sail has a contemporary design which I find quite appealing but suffers from an underpowered petrol motor. This is the reason I shied away from the Sail after I sold my Aveo.
Also, Chevrolet India always tends to cut off all the frills in their base model -add the frills and the price becomes competitively high therefore it loses out to other brands. I feel Chevrolet India should give a minimum amount of frills at their base price to vie with other brands.
techiecal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 12:14   #21
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

If they want to triple their sales, its simple, get the best of your big SUV into India, ditch the gas guzzling v6 and v8 petrols and adopt a cost efficient diesel for India, but retain the dimensions and the butch shapes. Watch your sales rise!!
apachelongbow is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 18:21   #22
BHPian

GM wants to increase their market share to 5%? Does that mean that they will start giving their cars for free from now on? I would be very happy to get one!
CarNerd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 19:18   #23
BHPian

IMO it is NOT the products that don't deserve share of sales, but something << else >> .
1# Spark - A worthy competitor to Alto / I10 ? IMO surely Yes. Correct this to get say 10% of Alto sales over a period?
2# Sail UVA - Petrol / Diesel - A worthy competitor to Swift / I20 / Polo / Figo / . Again, IMO surely Yes. Engine / Space / Fit & Finish / Ride on par with others - may be jack of all.
3# Cruze - Diesel Rocket - Target the correct set of prospectus buyers - IMO may be by targeted advertisement?

With a very optimistic view if they can make all above points true, either by same products or replacements, I would say achieving 2% more sales, within the target time, is gettable. May be Chevy fan's view
SRKHYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 22:58   #24
BHPian

I just have one advice for gm, tinker all you want with Chevrolet. But india is not china. Different emergig markets are entitled to have different strategies. Dont try and force fit some product here.

And one more thing, Opel had a good reputation in India. Somehow feel it should make a comeback
acidkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 23:36   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Those opel products are no doubt rock solid. My friends dad had a Corsa for more than 10 years or so and it was as good as new when he sold it. Sad that they discontinued the brand and as of now trying to fit in chinese cars that are no good thinking that people will buy whatever they see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRKHYD View Post

2# Sail UVA - Petrol / Diesel - A worthy competitor to Swift / I20 / Polo / Figo / . Again, IMO surely Yes. Engine / Space / Fit & Finish / Ride on par with others - may be jack of all.
Maybe a worthy competitor to the Figo(outgoing version) but when it comes to interiors and quality, the others are much better, and trust me the Sail cant even come close to the quality of the i20 and the Polo. Those two products arent even comparable to the Sail. If you can call the jack of all, it is the Swift. Offers everything, but exceptional at nothing, maybe a good petrol engine thats it.
audioholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2015, 12:45   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
GM wants to increase their market share to 5%? Does that mean that they will start giving their cars for free from now on? I would be very happy to get one!

ROFL. The Best comment so far.

Afaik when the Beat, Cruze and Captiva were launched, Our market did receive them well. But these cars had some flaws too. GM never bothered correcting those. Only the engines on the Cruze and the Captiva were improved.

Their cars always were over-priced and the after sales service remains terrible till date. They need to launch products with a certain USP or atleast correct the existing negatives in their cars and offer them as a good package. Improve the after-sales service too.

Asit

Last edited by asit.kulkarni93 : 13th May 2015 at 12:46.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2015, 11:29   #27
Senior - BHPian

Opel was a great brand and sometimes feel it came ahead of its time.
  • Astra was a highly aspirational car and achieved mediocre success.
  • Corsa was the first sub 4 mtr sedan and look at the proportions. So poised and elegant.(BTW it was just 26 mm over 4 mtrs).
Was going through Opel websites and checked the features of the Opel Adam.
Wow. What features and look at the build and finish.
1) DRLs
2) The ambient light pack also illuminates the passenger footwell, the console storage and the door pockets in eight different colours.
3)Within one minute the first-in-class feature of a heated steering wheel will have your hands nicely warmed.
4) With the help of the Advanced Park Assist this fresh mini car will not only find a suitable parking space,
5)Just flip the switch and enjoy a perfect drive in the city-Cruise Control
6)The Start/Stop System further optimises fuel savings especially in city traffic. The engine stops when the car comes to a standstill with transmission in neutral and starts instantly as soon as the clutch pedal is depressed again. The system can be activated/deactivated via a button on dashboard.

Reference: http://www.opel.ie/vehicles/opel_ran...ssistance.html

It is a delightful car.
Brand should not have been rested.
Chevy just does not have that pull.

Bring it back and the strategy should change completely for GM.
5% though still would be a joke.

Last edited by arnabchak : 14th May 2015 at 11:31.
arnabchak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2015, 13:10   #28

I have been thinking about getting a new hatchback for sometime, visited the GM showroom to look at beat and sail hatch.
Now i must say that sail does look really competitive in terms of space, finish and has an inoffensive front look.
Beat has I feel most stylish interiors in its price range 5L OTR.
What has really killed my interest was that sales people sell beat and sail as super hot cars that fly off shelves. Lets not ignore ground realities, we both know how much Gm sells, I felt like saying.
They need to realise and work like they are salvaging a losing race on both sales and service fronts more than the product.
ratangera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2015, 14:34   #29
BHPian

Agree with the members asking for Opel back. They can still get the current Corsa or Astra. They look like they can take on the current competition.

Corsa:
General Motors set to storm India as Korean costs climb-opel_corsa_5door_exterior_view_944x476_co1525_e01_027.jpg

Source: http://www.opel.de/fahrzeuge/modelle....html#Exterior

Astra Notchback
General Motors set to storm India as Korean costs climb-opel_astra_notchback_exterior_view_992x425_as14_e02_094.jpg

Source: http://www.opel.de/fahrzeuge/modelle...ansichten.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Opel was a great brand and sometimes feel it came ahead of its time.
  • Astra was a highly aspirational car and achieved mediocre success.
  • Corsa was the first sub 4 mtr sedan and look at the proportions. So poised and elegant.(BTW it was just 26 mm over 4 mtrs).
Was going through Opel websites and checked the features of the Opel Adam.
Bring it back and the strategy should change completely for GM.
5% though still would be a joke.
Corsa still looks very poised and elegant.

Last edited by jetti : 14th May 2015 at 14:35.
jetti is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2015, 14:57   #30
Senior - BHPian

Its amazing how people come at sale estimates.

Why cant they say "we are targeting a 3 fold rise in sales in the next year or two"? Probably the words will never come out of their mouth. Hence they stick to "targeting X% market share".
vinit.merchant is offline   Reply With Quote