Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 3rd September 2006, 08:44   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12
latest update on the all new scorpio...

The new aluminum engine - 2.2 litres producing 140 BHP is in final stages of field trials .. Production is expected to start in September 06

Scoprio with this engine expected to be on sale Jan 07 onwards

The Engine is supposed to the best in its class wrt power, torque, Fuel efficiency and refinement

Also one version with ABS / EBD / Airbags is on the cards..and more improvements on ergonomics and styling are on the way

will be quite a slugfest , if the new safari dicor 3 L and the endeavour with CRdi is also on road by then..

Good to see Competition keeping manufacturers on their toes !!
Best in class ? interesting Even Tata has a 2.2lit Crdi all aluminium engine and ironically both are being developed in conjucntion with AVL , Austria . I dont see a definite advantage of one over the other . I guess it will all depend on the overall package.
maxbhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2006, 10:15   #17
Team-BHP Support

Altho its nice to hear of a new engine for the Scorpio, engine is one area the Scorpio has never been found wanting in. Its pain points include handling, space ute and that ugly rear-end. If they address atleast one of these issues, the Scorpio will immediately become more sought after among the discerning.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2006, 13:22   #18
BHPian

Scorpio is one beast.. its the best and powerfull... great looks and smooth on bumppy rides.. and lots of space inside.. i love its CRDe Model..
all i wanna say Scorpio is an Indian Beast
kick.throttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2006, 14:26   #19
BHPian

I agree with what Indian Runner has to say.

I tried my buddy's new Scorpio- the latest model- yesterday. Took it to the fast switchbacks on the mountains and the rugged kacha roads. Hated every minute of it. Felt like I was driving on top of a ladder. The handling (Lack of) and general heaving and pitching was really bad. but what was worse was the stiff uncertain gearshift (coz it's a new car?) soft,soggy brakes,the general lack of NVH-high rpm sound and lack of thrust when the pedal is depressed.

But my buddy's perfectly happy with it. Guess I'm unconsciously comparing it to an ultra-light( In comparison), low, 98 bhp petrol powered sedan and my mind refuses to acknowledge the plus points of the vehicle like it's cheaper running costs, it's substantial presence, it's... er, I did mention cheaper running cost, didn't I? Ummm, any more pluses?? er...ummm...
Puffdamgcdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2006, 19:37   #20
BHPian

Default Scorpio

Guys,

I own a 2004 old engine Scorpio and have done 50000 KMs on it and am quite satisfied with the truck. I just did a NH 22 trip via Delhi-Shimla-Thanedar-Sangla-Nako-Tabo-Kaza-Manali-chandigarh-Delhi, did around 2000Kms and the vehicle posed no prblems. The roads were crazy-Literally however The scorpio took every inch of Bad roads without pain. I absolutely love the vehicle. However, it has its own drawbacks but once you are used to driving it, there are no issues. But if MM comes out with a Scorpio which has ABS 140BHP good brakes, its going to be a worth buy Indian SUV.
moodswings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2006, 22:06   #21
BHPian

YEah...gud to see SUV's getting lined up for 07...
jango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2006, 02:15   #22
BHPian

Thats a great news! M&M is continiously upgrading the Scorpio! with such a strategy in their arms, they are bound to be capturing the market, safari at 6.4lk or not!

I hope they do give power side mirrors too in the top end model, and also in the other variants too! thats a "necessity" now!
Insane Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2006, 11:30   #23
Senior - BHPian

M&M to launch hybrid Scorpio by 2008-end.

www.Moneycontrol.com
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2006, 12:19   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker
M&M to launch hybrid Scorpio by 2008-end.

www.Moneycontrol.com
Hybrid? Car using petrol and diesel simultaneously?

Good step by Mahindra, I guess some other manufacturer too intends to come with a hybrid car in India? Or did I read Mahindra's announcement earlier?
yeis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2006, 13:17   #25
Senior - BHPian

Default Scorpio Hybrid

M&M is planning diesel-electric hybrid...
http://www.autoindia.com/AutoShow/Au....aspx?VehId=74
msdivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2006, 13:28   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

IIRC, it was Ratan Tata talking abt hybrids a few months back.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2006, 19:03   #27
BHPian

If its hybrids in India the next thing, then am sure Toyota and Honda are already planning on getting their world class hybrids to india too!

I think M&M should tie up with a good big manufacturer for the hybrid technology, rather than going on their own for now.
Insane Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2006, 19:06   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12
latest update on the all new scorpio...

The new aluminum engine - 2.2 litres producing 140 BHP is in final stages of field trials .. Production is expected to start in September 06

Scoprio with this engine expected to be on sale Jan 07 onwards

The Engine is supposed to the best in its class wrt power, torque, Fuel efficiency and refinement
Care to mention the source of your info.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2006, 19:39   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy
M&M is planning diesel-electric hybrid...
M&M had showcased hybrid Scorpio at Auto Expo.
adya33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2006, 09:13   #30
BHPian

Mahindra`s Scorpio to sting competitors with new variant engine

Source: IRIS (12 September 2006)

Mahindra & Mahindra (M&M) will shortly come out with a new 2.2 CRDe engine-powered Scorpio. The new engine, also known as Eagle, is learnt to progressively replace the existing 2.6 CRDe engine.

The company is testing the new engine on Scorpio, which is expected to be out in the market in the next few months. Confirming the development, Pawan Goenka, president, automotive, M&M nodded and said that both engines will be available on demand.

M&M is sourcing critical technology for the new engine from Bosch.The high-tech Eagle is four-valve per head, turbo-diesel engine that is also expected to power the company`s upcoming multi-purpose vehicle Ingenio to be launched in 2008. It is a more fuel-efficient, technologically-advanced, lighter and environment-friendly engine than the existing 2.6 engine, sources said.

The company is expanding its engine capacity in Igatpuri to 800 engines a day from the existing 450 at an investment of Rs 250 crore.

Last year, the company sold more than 35,000 Scorpios. It clocked the highest sales for any month this August, with the volumes touching 3,794.

source:
http://www.myiris.com/newsCentre/new...secID=livenews
tifosikrishna is offline   Reply With Quote