Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 11th May 2015, 10:56   #46
BHPian

Default Re: April 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

So many cars across brands are consistently doing an average of less than 100 sales per month over the past year. Just wonder if each maker has a team which churns out numbers where they talk of break even.
E.g - you need to sell 3700 Nanos each month to manage BAU costs, commissions, plant upkeep, etc.

If this is already happening and yet the makers stubbornly refuse to make corrections to their line up, it's entirely their grave.

I'd rather have 2 cars selling me 5000 per month than 10 cars giving me 6000.

Last edited by GTO : 11th May 2015 at 12:38. Reason: Typo
Khushrav is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 13:22   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khushrav View Post
So many cars across brands are consistently doing an average of less than 100 sales per month over the past year. Just wonder if each maker has a team which churns out numbers where they talk of break even.
E.g - you need to sell 3700 Nanos each month to manage BAU costs, commissions, plant upkeep, etc.

If this is already happening and yet the makers stubbornly refuse to make corrections to their line up, it's entirely their grave.

I'd rather have 2 cars selling me 5000 per month than 10 cars giving me 6000.
There you go !! You have just summarized Toyota's India strategy in one paragraph. They were planning a similar strategy with Etios/Liva, but for reasons that look obvious in hindsight, it failed to click.
Old 11th May 2015, 15:50   #48
BHPian

Its the past deeds of Tata that are catching up now. They have always avoided testing costs when an idiot (read customer) can test the product for free and then they can come out with a v2, Club Class etc. Most of the Tata models picked up sales after the launch of version 2. Maybe some potential buyers are waiting for a Zest v2/ClubClass or a Bolt v2/ClubClass.

Tata now needs to build confidence in the public about the after sales service. They can start with opening company owned company operated service centers, starting with 4 metros. This can be something on the lines of "Maruti Service Masters" in Delhi.
Old 11th May 2015, 16:59   #49
BHPian

[quote=thoma;3703818]I believe you meant the Bolt than the Zest. Maybe the below picture and the write up can give a different perspective, but discussing it might be digressing off the main topic of the thread.
l/quote]

I did meant Zest, the one with the boot. And the resemblance is not as obvious live as in pics.

As such, Vista is not such a bad car as the forumers are trying to make it out. It is bland, past its age may be, but not a vice.
Old 11th May 2015, 17:03   #50
BHPian

One heartening aspect is that Designed, Made and "Launched First in India" cars (Ciaz, City, Ertiga etc.) are finding good traction in overseas markets and are seeing good growth in export numbers. This is good for the market because all the manufacturers will now thing of producing India specific cars and not just bring popular ones from outside and plonk here in the Indian market (Eg. plonking a left had drive steering wheel in a right hand drive car). In fact POLO did quite well initially when it was designed and built specifically for India.

Hope this trend continues.
autobahnjpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 19:16   #51

I think Honda has halted production of Amaze and Mobilio to accomodate the new Jazz which is ready for Launch.

They desperatle need additional production capacity
Old 11th May 2015, 21:38   #52
BHPian

Finally, we have the analysis notations from GTO. This makes the thread that much better to read.

Apart from MUL and Hyundai, nothing else stands out this month. Fiat is happy selling engines and GM is not selling anything. Dismal numbers from Tata. Bolt seem to have hit the axe on its foot with that ridiculous pricing strategy. There was so much opportunity which was simply let down by the Tata think-tank.

After going through the numbers for the Swift and i20 for the last few months, I feel the petrol models are the decider here. Swift petrol is far better car to drive and own than the lethargic 1.2 petrol on the i20. Note: I own a petrol i20 and can vouch its a pathetic drive. If Hyundai can tweak the engine and make it better in terms of overall driveability it will surely give the overpriced Swift a run for its money. And, I am not going to say anything on the "Dead as a Dodo" steering in the i20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicallyme View Post
I think Honda has halted production of Amaze and Mobilio to accomodate the new Jazz which is ready for Launch.

They desperatle need additional production capacity
I don't think they have halted production for any models. This looks more like an inventory build-up. They are using their dealer channels to stock up on low selling models before the launch of Jazz. They will most likely start reducing the production number for Amaze, Brio and Mobilio to meet initial demand for the Jazz.
Old 11th May 2015, 21:54   #53
BHPian

The herd mentality of Indian consumers could not be beaten by any ethnicity! Wow! IMHO, Punto, Zest, Beat are not bad products at all. The cramped and rattling swift rules the roost. Simply unable to understand. Same goes with Innova and Fortuner at MPV and SUV markets. People's decision is final. I think this kind of market share trend is here to stay. At least until Hyundai catches up really close to the Suzuki.
Old 11th May 2015, 22:48   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangarx View Post
........The cramped and rattling swift rules the roost. Simply unable to understand. ....... People's decision is final. I think this kind of market share trend is here to stay. At least until Hyundai catches up really close to the Suzuki.
The advantage of owning a cramped and rattling Swift are manifold in comparison with the Puntos, Zests and the Beats. There are many reasons that enhances the brand's credibility. In fact plenty of lovely reasons.

Look at the below mentioned example which happened a week back.

One of my relative, accidentally kept the key of his locked Swift inside the boot and shut it after taking his luggage out. This happened at Kottayam and my relative informed me of his predicament after his known methods and attempts to open the door were futile. It was at around eight in the morning and I called the Maruti toll free helpline and within 15 minutes, exactly 15 minutes, I got a call from a Popular Maruti technician from Kottayam, asking me for directions to reach the location. And within the next 20 minutes the on road assistance team was on the job at my relative's place. Simply marvelous. I can vehemently say that, this Maruti owner's next car would also be a Maruti.

Last edited by rajeev k : 11th May 2015 at 22:49.
rajeev k is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 00:31   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
The advantage of owning a cramped and rattling Swift are manifold in comparison with the Puntos, Zests and the Beats. There are many reasons that enhances the brand's credibility. In fact plenty of lovely reasons.

----------------------- Simply marvelous. I can vehemently say that, this Maruti owner's next car would also be a Maruti.
The network of Maruti is quite vast making such service standards feasible. Having lived in a number of places, big and small, can well appreciate the value of it and must compliment MSIL for what they have built.

Having said that, believe that ASS is one (albeit important) aspect of overall ownership experience. Others like product strengths, ownership cost, desirability, etc are also of consequence as the forum discusses the sales performance of various brands.

Last edited by rsm97 : 12th May 2015 at 00:32.
Old 12th May 2015, 06:43   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I believe you meant the Bolt than the Zest. Maybe the below picture and the write up can give a different perspective, but discussing it might be digressing off the main topic of the thread.

Attachment 1368979
http://carnoise.blogspot.in/2014/12/...a-vista-3.html
+1.
For an average eyes (like me), bolt resembles Indica/Vista convincingly, no matter from which side I look at.
I don't understand why Tata is so obsessed with their initial design of indica, almost every hatch from Tata resembles indica. I wish they go for a whole new design language and 'somehow' rebuild customer acceptance for their brand.
harishpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 10:46   #57
BHPian

Couple of observations
- Data for the past 12 months tell me that the German trio is actually competing with Nissan, Skoda, HM and may a year down the line will actually catch up with them. This makes their case stronger to be included in the sales numbers.
- If we were to give a pie showing all cars abouve 15L and their sales, the Merc, BMW and Audi will probably have more than 70% of the overall share.

This is staggering in the context of the profits per car. Clearly someones' making truckloads of losses.
Old 12th May 2015, 11:54   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
There are many reasons that enhances the brand's credibility. In fact plenty of lovely reasons.
Mods, sorry if this post happens to be OT. Just wanted to share my experience of Maruti's 'World class after sales service'.

Well, last October my Swift VDi broke down near Kolar due to failure of clutch. The release bearings had given away and I was lucky enough to steer the car to safety with no harm to anyone. This happened at 7:30 AM. I called Maruti Road assistance and I got prompt response. They said people from Kolar Mandovi will address me. The help arrived at 9:30 AM.
Once the car was driven back by their engineers, I was shocked to learn Maruti had no stock of Diesel model Release Bearings since a month! One Swift was already parked there waiting for the spare! Quickly checked in Bangalore (Mandovi, Sagar) and learnt they too don't have stock.
I had to rush to Tirupati and I took a bus from Kolar. I enquired in Tirupati as well but could not find the spares!!
The next day, I got my car driven back to Bangalore by a local mechanic.(Towing charges was quoted 5K!)
Can you believe, my car was waiting one full week at Mandovi JP Nagar? I was advised to change clutch plate & flywheel along with release bearings.
A total of 10 days, my car was not repaired due to unavailability of spares from Maruti, that too for their super successful product!!

Coming to the topic I guess Tata Motors are not sitting idle. Their Horizonnext program is underway.

http://<br /> http://m.economictimes...4905.cms<br />

It should take some time for the changes to be seen across.
I now drive a Zest since 6 months and it's a beauty of a product in its class!! ABS, CSC, Dual Airbags, automatic climate control, reverse parking sensors, rear defogger & segment first Harman Kardan infotainment system! None of these featured in my Swift VDi!
balajisv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 13:59   #59
BHPian

Thanks for the nice April Sales Review. Went through it in one go.

As some of our Team members who are using the Zest / Bolt feel, TATA has put in a good effort and the result will sure follow. Let us hope to see it sooner. It is always a nice feel to see an indigenous product prove its worth in such a tough market. Hope and wish HEXA should be a success too.
Old 13th May 2015, 09:23   #60
BHPian

Really sad to see Hyundai unable to pull up Verna and Elantra up to the levels they once were!

Maruti... Absolutely no comments.. 9 cars out of top 20 says all... Actually many people are trying to learn how are they going so strong even in such a well informed and diversified market and we can see Hyundai atleast improving on the A.S.S highly(Can say as have been both Maruti and Hyundai owner for long now and I can swear by my 5 year old Service eng at Hyundai)

Being just booked Octavia good feeling for driving the 3rd most selling car, which I am sure could have sold many more if they would had got their supply better earlier... and just to add I met the Service Manager before booking my Octavia and was very surprised at his openess on the issues car is facing (Sunroof and OVRMs rattling) and what are they doing to prevent them. That made me change my outlook from negative to atleast NEUTRAL.. so they are surely improving...

GTO, since we have seen 10 yr ban effect in Delhi, Can you please share if there has been any improvement in the Petrol sales vs the Diesel so as to understand if the market has reacted in that direction or not... Dealers are confirming that Petrol sales have increased
Closed Thread