Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 13th May 2015, 14:50   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Mercedes C220 CDI, now locally assembled. Priced at Rs. 37.90 Lakhs

Mercedes C220 CDI, now locally assembled. Priced at Rs. 37.90 Lakhs-2015mercedesc220cdiindialocalassembly1024x686.jpg

Localized Merc C220 with 60% localization launched at INR 37.9 lakhs for 'Style' & INR 39.9 lakhs for the ‘Avantgarde’ trim (ex-Showroom, New Delhi)

Surprised & shocking to see only a reduction of only INR 2L was achieved with 60% localization

No Thanks im ready to pay 2L more give me the CBU instead

Source

Last edited by karan561 : 13th May 2015 at 14:57.
karan561 is online now   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2015, 16:44   #2

Default Re: Mercedes-Benz India commences local assembly of C 220 CDI; now priced at Rs. 37.90 Lak

Absolutely. That doesn't make any sense. Why will they go for so much trouble for getting it assembled in India to shave of only 2-5L.
Surely pricing this machine Aggressively is not their motive.
In my opinion they are just making a cool Profit out of all this since they are now just entitled to 60% tax than the previously imposed 120%.
STORM_REGALION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2015, 17:01   #3
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Mercedes-Benz India commences local assembly of C 220 CDI; now priced at Rs. 37.90 Lak

From what I've been told, Mercedes absorbs some of the cost of the CBU launches until they can bring in the CKD versions, hence the price difference isn't that much.
Akshay1234 is online now   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2015, 17:04   #4
BHPian

Surprising indeed! Even after making efforts to achieve 60% localization, prices have been reduced only by 2-3 lakhs!!

But as they say, there is no end to a man's greed. Mercedes is simply being greedy

The other reason could be to keep a scope of decent discounts because we Indians simply love bargaining

Last edited by GTO : 14th May 2015 at 13:09. Reason: Typo
amansanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2015, 17:18   #5
BHPian

If one can get an E class, A6 or 520D for around 41 lacs ex-showroom who in their right mind would buy this car. Its obvious merc is keeping a huge margin on this car since its new. I would wait for a while till prices get more realistic.

Whats more I'm amazed to see so manyl CBUs driving around whose owners shelled out 50 lacs for them!!
manishk123 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2015, 18:23   #6
BHPian

The 3 series is available at 35.9 (very basic variant) and 39.9 L ex-showroom Delhi. That is similar to the prices quoted for the C-class which is a fresher model and feels a step above in terms of interiors than the 3 series. Now I know there are better discounts on other cars but I am sure there will be good discounts available in a few months on the C as well.
Also, as akshay pointed out, Mercedes (and all other luxury car manufacturers) always includes localisation (via paying duties themselves) in its initial pricing and they have even mentioned it before as far as I remember.

But point being it the same price as the 3 and a more than worthy competitor. Infact if I had a choice I would rather go for the C.

Last edited by kartavya : 13th May 2015 at 18:25.
kartavya is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2015, 20:03   #7
BHPian

I think exorbitant import charges are being exploited by every car manufacturer. If it is lowered to a more reasonable level (say 50%), then one of the following will happen:
a) People will have the option of getting their cars imported
b) Locally manufactured cars will be priced reasonably.

Last edited by GTO : 14th May 2015 at 14:03. Reason: Typo
prakash_ajp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2015, 20:30   #8
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Surprised & shocking to see only a reduction of only INR 2L was achieved with 60% localization
The prices of the Evoque were reduced by more than 6lakhs after JLR India started assembling the car here, not sure of the percentage of localization!
PPS is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2015, 21:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Attachment 1370163

No Thanks im ready to pay 2L more give me the CBU instead

Source
Who said increasing localization levels was for reducing selling price?
Why invest so much unless they can get the production cost down and improve margins? They will naturally keep the savings for themselves.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 13th May 2015 at 21:09.
mail4ajo is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2015, 21:17   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartavya View Post
The 3 series is available at 35.9 (very basic variant) and 39.9 L ex-showroom Delhi. That is similar to the prices quoted for the C-class which is a fresher model and feels a step above in terms of interiors than the 3 series. Now I know there are better discounts on other cars but I am sure there will be good discounts available in a few months on the C as well.
Also, as akshay pointed out, Mercedes (and all other luxury car manufacturers) always includes localisation (via paying duties themselves) in its initial pricing and they have even mentioned it before as far as I remember.

But point being it the same price as the 3 and a more than worthy competitor. Infact if I had a choice I would rather go for the C.
Allow me to correct/add info here, the basic 3 Series (Prestige) is costing around 30 lacs Ex-Showroom in Delhi and top variant costs 6 more lacs.
Ofcourse that has happened with the advertised discounts, which 3 Series is offering (which seems to last for a really long, considering the weak sales in premium segment).

Coming to A4, the top most variant (Technology Pack) costs 38 Lacs On Road price after the discounts (cannot recall the ex-showroom pricing).

Considering the same, Mercedes is definitely charging a bomb premium over their brand, what more not even a single penny of discount.

Couldn't deny the fact that it is indeed a much improved and newest product as compared to competition, however as mentioned by others, one can go for a segment higher (A6 or 520d) for this pricing.

Crib or curse, nonetheless their product is selling irrespective of the pricing or competition and I can't see any discounts pouring in near future.
Turbo Head is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2015, 23:33   #11
BHPian

Value for money was obviously the last thing on Merc's mind when they decided the pricing for the C Class in India.

They've switched from the CBU route to localization, cut down on features and yet they can reduce prices only by 2 odd lakhs.

Yes, the eventual localization was probably kept in mind while initially deciding the pricing, but it was rather high to begin with. And let us not even talk about the fact that the car costs around twice as much as it does in the USA. :(

The Skoda Superb and pre worshiped cars are now making more sense than ever!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st June 2015 at 08:14. Reason: Edited as requested.
SS8939 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2015, 12:55   #12
@KP
BHPian

Is it a move to increase profits incrementally based on current sales or increase profits exponentially by increasing sales. It seems more like former going by the sale price
@KP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2015, 14:10   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Mercedes C220 CDI, now locally assembled. Priced at Rs. 37.90 Lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk123 View Post
Whats more I'm amazed to see so manyl CBUs driving around whose owners shelled out 50 lacs for them!!
A lot of folk buy these cars for bragging rights. Some of them are willing to pay anything to be the 'first' to have a new model in their driveway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartavya View Post
The 3 series is available at 35.9 (very basic variant)
In April, they cut the price of the base 320d to 29.90 lakhs. Apparently was a 'limited time' offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
The prices of the Evoque were reduced by more than 6lakhs after JLR India started assembling the car here, not sure of the percentage of localization!
The Evoque was grossly overpriced to begin with! If you ask me, the price should come further down .

Quote:
Originally Posted by @KP View Post
increase profits exponentially by increasing sales.
A 2 lakh price cut doesn't make a big difference to sales in the luxury segment.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2015, 15:24   #14
@KP
BHPian

Exactly GTO !! Sales will only increase if they reduce the price further down. And they perhaps should also, given the amount of localisation. Maybe the dealers will thrown in some discounts. But then, they do not want to lose the "premiumness" tag either.
@KP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2015, 16:06   #15
BHPian

Was in the market for the new C class, got a call from knowns at MB, they are now offering handsome discounts and improved waiting times as well (as low as a week for popular colors!).

So the minimal price cuts are only on paper, in reality, price will go down significantly, depending on one's bargaining power and clout at MB.
madnish30 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote