Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 15th May 2015, 18:14   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Government wants corporate average fuel economy of 18.2 kmpl

Another

Quote:
Taking another step to bring in more efficient cars on Indian roads, the government has revised fuel-efficiency guidelines. To come in effect from April, 2017, automakers will have to ensure their models return an average of least 18.2Km/l.

While the Bureau of Energy Efficiency has put together the norms, the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways will iron out the details for the implementation of the guidelines and the penalties for their violation.

Furthermore, the government intends to further increase the average to 22Km/l by April, 2022
Govt's initiative to save Fuel Saver
a4anurag is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2015, 18:50   #2
BHPian

Default re: Government wants corporate average fuel economy of 18.2 kmpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Excellent way to move forward!
However, the onus should rest with the Government and not with the car manufacturers!
As it is, we are seeing cars with weedy tyres, anaemic engines, tin-cans of bodies - all in the interest of fuel efficiency!
We might as well be driving bullock-carts instead!

The solution in my opinion should be as follows:

1. Improve public transport in cities - metro rail and buses should be the first choice of citizens.
No point in imposing congestion charges in CBDs when there is no other alternative!

2. Improve the highway network of India
Have bye-pass (or have flyovers over) all town and villages so that we don't have to encounter innumerable 'road humps'; a steady speed will ensure good mileage!
I have seen many 'road humps' in the highways but no corresponding 'humps' in the village/town roads which cut across the high-ways; so a highway traveller will reduce speed from 100 km/h to 10 km/h and re-accelerate, whereas the village bumpkin on foot or in his tractor/moped/bicycle just coasts across!
Not to mention driving on the opposite side of the road with his headlights on! Reminds me of Bruce Almighty!

3. Keep the road surfaces perfect - Maintain the roads!!
Are we not paying a life-time road tax, a toll on every highway, cess of every fathomable kind?
Why does the money end up in pockets and not on the roads?

4. People need to learn driving and obtain (and not buy) their driving licences.
If civic sense prevails, there will be no lane cutting, jumping red-lights etc., which add to unnecessary consumption of fuel.
The rule of the law needs to be stringent and imposed!

5. Ensure supply of unadulterated fuel
The same engines fitted to Indian vehicles sold abroad are calibrated to develop higher power and torque!

6. Insist on turbocharging small capacity engines
Instead of just fixing the cubic capacities (by means of excise duty incentives).
What purpose has the 1.2 Litre Petrol and 1.5 Litre Diesel engines served?
Manufacturing 5/6/7 seater vehicles within a 4-meter length and stuffing people like sardines in a can?

Instead of carrying out a root-cause analysis and coming out with viable solutions, we as usual, continue to flog the dead-horse!
20 km/l -> 25 km/l -> 30 km/l???? aarrrggghhh

Last edited by cpbopanna : 15th May 2015 at 19:10.
cpbopanna is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2015, 19:02   #3
BHPian

Average of 22 kmpl by April 2022? Are they serious? With the tin cans that we see around already now, wonder how those cars which need to deliver 22 kmpl will be.
Better idea is to incentivise options such as public transportation / bicycle /walking
balajisv is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2015, 19:10   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
As it is, we are seeing cars with weedy tyres, anaemic engines, tin-cans of bodies - all in the interest of fuel efficiency!

We might as well be driving bullock-carts instead!

20 km/l -> 25 km/l -> 30 km/l????
Excellent points there,

If can add one to the list,

Spread awareness among ALL motorists to switch off their engines while waiting at 1 minute and above traffic signal to save fuel.

Not one switches the engine off but cries out loud when fuel prices are increased.
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2015, 19:21   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Remove those useless check posts in the cities to take bribes from Trucks right in the open without any regard for the law. Every such checkpost causes a huge traffic chaos and one ends up burning god knows how much fuel trying to negotiate this police made jam.

I don't see this as a good step. Will just make the car makers use even thinner metal sheets and disregard safety norms.
drmohitg is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2015, 21:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

Life is such a zero sum game. I read this news first and then the fuel price hike news.

PS: Is this the death knell to the 120 bhp+ SUVs? And that means future is (even more) bright for those baby and embryo SUVs.
ramzsys is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2015, 21:27   #7
BHPian

The intentions are right. But I do not for a second believe that this is gone help in a large way to control pollutions. Two reasons.

1. Free choice
It doesn't augur well for a democratic country to impose ban on production of certain products. The govt. can levy higher taxes and the like. But restricting a company to sell its product or rather telling them that they cannot sell a particular product if they do not offer a product that gives a higher mileage is revolting to say the least. I do not care if this is prevalent in any part of the world. But this is not the way to go about to increase innovation (if thats' what the govt has in mind!)

2. No Electric cars
The future of less-polluting auto-mobiles is in the electric car segment. I do not see the government rushing to issue a barrage of incentives or tax reductions for makers of electric cars. And even if the government does role out benefits for such cars, the people would be highly hesitant to buy them - lack of proper electricity, lack of charging stations(though interconnected with lack of demand for electric cars)

I would have been bit happier if they had set slab limits (based on engine capacity) for mileage catering to small-size cars, mid-size saloons and SUVs'(or some other meaningful division) and enforced a higher tax on non-complying models.

Last edited by GTO : 18th May 2015 at 10:43. Reason: Typo
r.praveen is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2015, 11:07   #8
BHPian

Indian government's latest and everlasting measure to save fuel collectively has been to increase the fuel costs and tax it so high that it is beyond the reach of the common man.
revintup is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2015, 11:51   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Spread awareness among ALL motorists to switch off their engines while waiting at 1 minute and above traffic signal to save fuel.

Not one switches the engine off but cries out loud when fuel prices are increased.
While I do not support keeping the engine on while waiting at signals for too long, some people do that to save the turbo in their cars. So for them switching it off will cause more damage to their pocket than the extra fuel he will burn at signals.
Carpainter is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2015, 12:00   #10
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Why do we have morons for bureaucrats? Oh!! as a nation we are consuming too much fuel, burning foreign exchange.. what to do?.. simple saar, let us make all cars give at-least 18 kmpl now , 22 kmpl next year and so on, the makers wouldn't do it, and cars will stop being sold!!! Oh.. people have shifted to 100 cc mopeds now, everyone is riding one, the fuel is still being consumed heavily.. now what?.. simple saar, let us tax engines per cc...let us force people to walk.. all this hypothetical discussion happening when the minister and the civil servant's motorcade of 30 cars is moving along in traffic burning tons of fuel...
apachelongbow is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2015, 12:03   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post

While I do not support keeping the engine on while waiting at signals for too long, some people do that to save the turbo in their cars. So for them switching it off will cause more damage to their pocket than the extra fuel he will burn at signals.
I agree on keeping the car idling for turbo wellness but that idling is enough for 30 seconds.

Traffic signals that have 100+ seconds as waiting time, Have the engines running that long. No use IMO. This is what I wanted to communicate.

If the signal is below 40 seconds then it is OK to keep it idling. Anything above is a waste!
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2015, 12:36   #12
BHPian

Actually, Corporate Average Fuel Efficiency or CAFE is an effective tool to get fuel efficiency up. Not that it is essential in a "kitna deti hai" society like ours. The bigger issue is that our poor infrastructure wastes fuel. For example, I can get from the airport to Elphinstone Road (12 km) in peak hours in about 25 minutes and get a fuel efficiency of 7.5 kmpl. But to cross the bridge and reach my house (another 2 km) often takes longer, and the fuel efficiency in that stretch is 1.5kmpl - in short it burns as much fuel as covering 6 times the distance. For folks living in Chembur, the Eastern Freeway saves 30 minutes and probably 1 litre of fuel each way on a drive down from town. And on highways on long weekends, the fuel wasted waiting to pay toll (assuming 3 toll booths and 20 minutes lost at each - so 1.5 litres in my Superb) often costs more than the toll - moving to mandatory electronic tolling with heavy (RS. 10000) fines for folks who don't pay would save massive amounts of fuel. Must say the government is moving in that direction too, albeit slowly:
Hayek is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2015, 13:17   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Traffic signals that have 100+ seconds as waiting time, Have the engines running that long. No use IMO. This is what I wanted to communicate.
Yes, I was also trying to say the same.

Anyway, this is not a correct measure to cut down on fuel consumption. As cpbopanna said above, there are various things that contribute to this factor. Government can build better infrastructure, make road surface pothole free, make traffic violation a serious offense (heavy penalty etc.) and all these can contribute to the cause. I'm not saying traffic jams can be made a thing of past specially with the number of cars increasing everyday. Even world class cities have this problem. But we definitely need to have some discipline on road, both on behalf of the drivers as well as the pedestrians/autowalas/bikers etc etc.

Regarding mileage, if they are so keen to push for cars with higher mileage, why do they not push for hybrid cars or EVs for more eco-friendly drive that will bring down fuel consumption as well. Instead what they are trying to do will only result in even more poorly built cars with less features as if we don't have to face that already.
Carpainter is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2015, 19:29   #14
BHPian

Default Re: Government wants corporate average fuel economy of 18.2 kmpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post
Indian government's latest and everlasting measure to save fuel collectively has been to increase the fuel costs and tax it so high that it is beyond the reach of the common man.
You may be partially right!

It is a probably a two-pronged approach:

The Government -

1. Arm-twists the car manufacturers to increase fuel-efficiency - so that the consumer gets more km/l, lesser fuel consumption for the nation!

2. Increases the fuel costs - so the customer traverses the same distance - with lesser fuel - at a higher unit price, for the same cash outflow!

Any guesses on who will be laughing all the way to the bank?

Last edited by cpbopanna : 17th May 2015 at 19:39.
cpbopanna is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2015, 20:27   #15
BHPian

Default Re: Government wants corporate average fuel economy of 18.2 kmpl

Quote:
To come in effect from April, 2017, automakers will have to ensure their models return an average of least 18.2Km/l.
Can someone elaborate what is meant by average here? How is it calculated? I am assuming there is again going to some agency, like ARAI who will provide the certification based on some controlled environment testing and actual real world figures are as usual going to deviate a lot.
Simhi is offline   Reply With Quote