Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 30th May 2015, 12:31   #16
Distinguished - BHPian
Default re: Rumour: Hyundai to launch Elite i20 AT Diesel!

Would be great news, lovely infact but is so unlikely. Why not have the 6speed unit in the Verna then?

That said it would be great news if it were to be true.

While 70K for the unit would be great news. Sadly the pricing of the i20 has reached a very high price level already and this makes it not so great value (or should I say price for the badge) for the top model considering it is a hatch and not a very high powered hot hatch nor a Lux badge.

But then something between the A class and the Premium hatch segment.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2015, 03:33   #17
Default re: Rumour: Hyundai to launch Elite i20 AT Diesel!

Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Best selling car in it's segment will be the Dzire right and not the Elite i20. I think that tweet was for the Dzire AMT in ZDi spec they posted a little while later.
Oh Yes. Somehow the Dzire never struck me. I always expected it to get the AMT sooner than later (not in the diesel though), so that news never surprised me much and so did not come up when I read the tweet.

As for the AT box in the Elite i20. I believe the 6 speed in Elantra is imported vs the 4 speed one which has been localised. Not completely sure about this.
I have no clue about that. Guess experts can help us with the information

Even though the Verna is old in the market, I don't think Hyundai will get a 6 speed in Elite. Why kill the Verna so easily?
No Vid6639, it is not about killing Verna. If you notice Verna misses a lot of stuff i20 (or even Grand i10) gets. Like the rear AC vents, steering adaptive guide-lines in reverse camera display, MID as detailed as the i20, etc. Verna is towards the end of its shelf-life and the 6-speed box is not going to revive it. I am sure the next gen Verna will get the same 6-speed box or even the new dual clutch box.

The Elite i20 is almost 10L in Bangalore on road for the Asta CRDi. The AT will result in it touching 11L.
I don't think people are concerned about the price tag, at least when it comes to i20. I am sure you agree that there are more Asta i20s than the Sportz or lower variants. The 70k premium is unlikely and it will be close to 100k, as you have pointed out. But I get a feeling that the market has matured and a modern diesel automatic from Hyundai will find takers in spite of the price.

Originally Posted by ACM View Post
While 70K for the unit would be great news.
Very unlikely ACM. I am sure the on-road price of the Automatic variant will be ~100k from the corresponding manual model.

Another wild guess. Any possibility of plonking an AMT unit in the i20?? i20 diesel has a 6-speed gearbox and an AMT can be advertised it a 6-speed automatic. Is that what we are getting?? Well, I base this guess on this piece of news in IAB. To quote the specifics,

Hyundai and Renault will be the latest manufacturers to offer the AMT (automated manual transmission) technology on their products in India. German-based ZF Sachs is reported to supply AMT modules for both companies, while Magneti Marelli supplies for Maruti and Tata.

The first Hyundai model to benefit from an AMT would be the Grand i10, reports Autocar India. Launched in September 2013, the Grand i10 is available with a petrol and a diesel engine, though its the former which is available with a 4-speed automatic transmission as an option. It remains to be seen if Hyundai opts to equip the diesel variant of the hatchback with the AMT, or replaces the 4AT on the petrol model.
If they procure the AMT units, it can well be used in the i20 also. Im loving the speculations
Vigkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2015, 17:00   #18
Default Re: Rumour: Hyundai to launch Elite i20 AT Diesel!

Members, Any updates on this?
I have been looking for a Diesel automatic hatch for a long time and kind of being forced to go for the Vento/Rapid TDi DSG due to unavailability of a diesel Auto hatch. GT TSi is lovely but petrol.

I tried to search all over the internet but couldn't find any speculations regarding the i20 Diesel Auto.
Crazy_Bean is offline   Reply With Quote