Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 17th July 2015, 18:37   #181
BHPian

Default Re: 2015 Volkswagen Vento Facelift : A Close Look

The guys at Elite seem to be a confused lot when it comes to specs. I had to tell them that there these features which are listed on the website. I don't know how it is elsewhere.
Raneeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2015, 22:04   #182
BHPian

Few questions about the automatic DSG Diesel variant:

1) Is there any lag during upshift / downshift ?
2) When driving in water logged areas how will the automatic handle (normally you would want to keep using the clutch and accelerator in a manual)
3) Is there any power/driveability difference between the previous 1.6L engine and the 1.5L engine (new)?
4) Chennai dealer says there is no extended warrany price available for the Diesel AT. Is this right or is there a extended warranty available?
LandCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2015, 00:10   #183
BHPian

yes test drove the HL TSi yesterday with the updated car, the new color scheme is better than before, the new front looks brilliant. The chrome on the back is a bit too much... as to your question the steering is the same black leather wrapped flat bottomed with mounted controls which is also used on the Polo GT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by antardaksh View Post
Has anyone seen Vento CL 2015 facelift?

Regards.
Bhodrolok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2015, 11:02   #184
BHPian

Does the new model with BT audio enabled come with any microphones? If so where is it placed?
Old 20th July 2015, 15:05   #185
BHPian

If it is the tried and tested RCD 320, then the mic is built into the audio system itself.
mav2000 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2015, 16:26   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post

2) When driving in water logged areas how will the automatic handle (normally you would want to keep using the clutch and accelerator in a manual)
1. when moving from a complete stop, it's not as immediate as a torque converter. I guess I'd call the behavior hesitation rather than lag. At speed the upshifts are imperceptible (miles ahead of a torque converter's upshift feel or speed.) Downshifts also for the most part are imperceptible, except for sudden braking where the transmission may make a clunking, thumping sound. I do not encounter any jerking, which some people have reported.

2. I put my TSI in first gear by switching to manual mode so that the engine revs but the car moves forward slowly. Obviously, slipping the clutch like a manual isn't possible but this still gives me more control than a TC AT.
StarScream is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2015, 19:16   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
2. I put my TSI in first gear by switching to manual mode so that the engine revs but the car moves forward slowly. Obviously, slipping the clutch like a manual isn't possible but this still gives me more control than a TC AT.
Hi,

I wanted to check if you drove both TDI AT and TSI. Even I am planing to take a test drive of TDI DSG to compare this with TSI. I have only managed to drive POLO TSI since the dealer did not have Vento TSI. Several forum members have told that they went to VW Palace Cross to test drive Vento TSI.

Regards.
antardaksh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2015, 09:00   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post
3) Is there any power/driveability difference between the previous 1.6L engine and the 1.5L engine (new)?
4) Chennai dealer says there is no extended warrany price available for the Diesel AT. Is this right or is there a extended warranty available?

1.Like StarScream said, there is a little 'hesitation' when starting from the stand still, but once you know about it, you can overcome it to an extent (not completely)by suitable accelerator inputs. Second scenario is some overtake situations. Suppose you are driving in a two- lane highway and a bus has stopped in front of you(obviously you have to slow down). You want to overtake, and another bus is coming in opposite direction- so only a small time window is available to overtake . Here, when you press the pedal,there is an initial hesitation of 0.5 second from the machine after which it flies off. When you get accustomed to this, you learn to press the accelerator 0.5 seconds earlier. Only problem is that, at times the opposite vehicle will think you are not planning to overtake -when all of a sudden he wonders seeing you flying forward. What I mean is- total time taken to overtake remains same or even less- but the acceleration is not linear. Hope I am clear though a bit over descriptive. Except in these two scenarios, up shifting, overtaking and hill climbing is a breeze and there is absolutely no lag. Agree completely with StarScream regarding downshifting, but it is not at all a deal breaker. Only once in a while you do hard braking and only occasionally while doing hard breaking you get to feel that 'something'. Me too not getting jerks.

2. Idea of doing this in waterlogged areas is to keep the engine running so that you will not have to start it again in the midst of water- isn't it? As the AT never stalls itself, there is no need of this I think. You can slow down to a safe speed and the auto box chooses the best gear itself. Please correct me if I am wrong here.

3. Have driven 1.6 only for short distances and didn't find any significant difference. However, drag racing in my 1.5 DSG with 1.6 MT is always with the same result. And also I didn't find any difficulty in keeping with my friends 1.6 on long drives.

4. My dealer also said this initially, but got it for Rs 22,000 at the time of delivery of my TDI DSG (after much convincing of course)

Last edited by ampere : 21st July 2015 at 09:03. Reason: Fixed quote and formatted the post
shasha is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2015, 16:27   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antardaksh View Post
Hi,

I wanted to check if you drove both TDI AT and TSI. Even I am planing to take a test drive of TDI DSG to compare this with TSI. I have only managed to drive POLO TSI since the dealer did not have Vento TSI. Several forum members have told that they went to VW Palace Cross to test drive Vento TSI.

Regards.
No, I have a Vento TSI only. I too made a purchase decision after test driving a Polo TSI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasha View Post
Second scenario is some overtake situations. Suppose you are driving in a two- lane highway and a bus has stopped in front of you(obviously you have to slow down). You want to overtake, and another bus is coming in opposite direction- so only a small time window is available to overtake . Here, when you press the pedal,there is an initial hesitation of 0.5 second from the machine after which it flies off. When you get accustomed to this, you learn to press the accelerator 0.5 seconds earlier. Only problem is that, at times the opposite vehicle will think you are not planning to overtake -when all of a sudden he wonders seeing you flying forward. What I mean is- total time taken to overtake remains same or even less- but the acceleration is not linear. Hope I am clear though a bit over descriptive.
This is true in D mode but not in S. In S mode it cuts out the "thinking" and responds instantaneously.
StarScream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2015, 17:13   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasha View Post
4. My dealer also said this initially, but got it for Rs 22,000 at the time of delivery of my TDI DSG (after much convincing of course)

Thanks. Seriously contemplating upgrading from my TDI MT to the new TDI AT. I drive about 25000 kms a year roughly and fatigue setting in using a MT. The resale value of existing MT and pouring money for the expensive AT is the main question. And of course the model is new so no new discounts. Thinking of waiting till the festive season to see if there are any good discounts on offer.

Have to test drive and decide. Have started to be more sedate in driving due to having small children at home. The AT box and cruise control are tempting to take away the fatigue from the daily office commute (70 kms) and the monthly long drives (~1000 kms).
Old 24th July 2015, 10:08   #191
Team-BHP Support

The Russian Polo Sedan gets the sensors for the front bumper but not in India.

2015 Volkswagen Vento Facelift : A Close Look-dbd75b2s960.jpg
Source: Google Images

Rest of the stuff remains identical to what is offered here.

And for folks who were thinking about the cruise control retrofit, these are the Russian links to help you get started:

Basics

Part 1

Part 2

The hardest part will be the one wire that connects to the ECU. Best to get it done from the service center (to prevent a loose connection causing water ingress to the connector and damaging the ECU later). All the parts are available on Ali, eBay etc.

Gotta love these Russian folks. Shares every damn thing they've done on their cars on their blogs with all the details. The best part is, since they are bordering China, the regular China Post delivers it within 7-15 days going by the feedback posted on the Ali links.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 24th July 2015 at 10:16.
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2015, 18:10   #192
BHPian

Hi,

Is it possible to source OEM headlight used in Polo Sedan(Russia). I believe it might be direct fit in the Vento 2015 facelift available here in India. I am not sure how to distinguish between OEM and OEM "style" when we search on websites like AliExpress/Ebay.
I found few headlights similar to the once in picture but cost was exorbitant ($700 pair)

Name:  VentoHeadlight.jpg
Views: 3739
Size:  113.0 KB

I have postponed my plan to buy facelift version till festive season. I hope they will offer some discount later in the year.

Regards.
antardaksh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 12:48   #193
BHPian

Went for a TD of the Diesel Highline DSG yesterday at B U Bhandari Pune .(located at Pashan road)

Observations:-
1. Overall experience very good - both from dealership and car TD perspective
2. Post query for TD put on the VW site few days ago, sales rep was quite courteous in checking & ensuring that suitable appointment slot was available for me
3. Upon reaching showroom, sales rep went through with the niceties (tea/coffee/biscuits etc.) and then explained the features almost in a fashion similar to a review - starting from exteriors (front to side to back), then moving to interiors (front seat to back seat etc.) and then again from outside, finally ending with opening the engine hood for the details. Was impressed that not a single feature was "left out" or "missed". Must have spent almost 20-25 mins for this.
4. Was even offered brief comparison details over competition including sibling Rapid.
5. Then proceeded to the actual TD. Again, sales rep had super clarity on the DSG tranny. He had already glanced deliberately at the "LTD" sticker on my other car and perhaps knowing this, acknowledged that he is aware of TBHP forum! He answered almost all queries that I put to him, including that on "DSG false neutrals" and he answered them with good/practical knowledge.
6. Coming to the car, it had run only about approx 300 km so the "newness" was all prevalent inside, and not the typical run-down TD cars which we usually encounter. The gear shifts (both up/down) were super slick and I managed to try out even the "panic braking" on the somewhat lonely Pashan road in the late afternoon. No problem there, the car/DSG just responded perfectly and was in control all the time.
7. Even tried out the "Cruise Control" feature (now available on the facelifted Vento), and found it out to be sheer relaxing, what with the right foot relaxed because of this and the left foot already perched on the dead pedal. Did I mention that the steering wheel position was already adjusted to my liking, before I cranked the ignition - courtesy the tilt/telescopic adjustment. All in all, a very comfortable drive. Just what I am looking forward to for my next car.
8. The whole TD run covered almost 9-10 km and I was able to cover almost all gear changes in both the D (upto D7) and S mode, including tiptronic for couple of kms.
9. Upon reaching back to the showroom, the sales rep again gave a brief summary (recap that is) of all that we went through.
10. Now putting down what I think are definite areas of improvement in this car - the IRVM is bad, so much so that you get to see only 3/4 of the rear glass. And to top it, there is only the beep sound to go along with those reverse sensors - no camera view + no distance to object etc. Disappointing in a 14 lakh + car, specially the top-end version.
The hump below the rear seat is just too high for the middle (or 5th) passenger to be comfortably seated. Another area to improve for VW.
The rear head-rests are again perched bit too high, they obstruct the already restricted view from the IRVM.
The audio HU interface has been improved over the previous version, but still no touch screen. Well, this bit is strictly not a sore thumb, but folks below 10L already provide big touchscreen units.
11. Summarily, I would give 9/10 marks since the experience gave me what I was looking for - very good diesel + AT combo (claimed FE of 18-19 km/l on road for DSG), along with the cruise control,not discounting the excellent overall build quality and new platter of colors brought to fore by VW.

OTR pricing for Pune (PMC limit): INR 14,15,863 for Highline Diesel AT (DSG)
Optional Components over & above OTR pricing:-
Drive Assure Package: INR 11,861
Extended warranty (3rd & 4th year): INR 17,949
Road side assistance (3rd & 4th year): INR 3,382

Regards.
JoshMachine is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2015, 11:10   #194
BHPian

I have been anticipating the launch of cars with better audio systems compatible with Android auto and car play. I know that still it is at least a year away. But was surprised to see this article that VW are rolling out cars soon with such systems.

http://www.androidcentral.com/volksw...ts-2016-lineup

Any one has any information or can source information if this will be launched in India also this year? Next year may be a long wait, especially the new refreshed Vento is very tempting. As long as such systems can be retrofitted then it should be fine. Already kicking myself about the lack of integrated bluetooth in my 2012 Vento.
Old 31st July 2015, 15:00   #195
BHPian

Just checking if anyone in Pune has actually booked the new Vento?
Keen to know about discounts floating, when I enquired from BU Bhandari, there were none.
JoshMachine is offline   Reply With Quote