Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 1st June 2015, 19:48   #31
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: 2015 Volkswagen Vento Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
1. If not the turn indicators, can the auto-folding motor(?) on the Face-lifted Vento be retro-fitted onto the Polo ?

2. This is not a must have, but is it possible to install an A/C duct into the Glove box on the pre-facelift Vento and Polo, just like the new one has ?
1. Not possible. The electronically foldable ORVMs have a different set of internals. You will have to change the whole assembly. If turn indicators is what you are looking for, order the indicators alone and have them fixed to the assembly - will be doable and will be a lot more cheaper.

2. Yes. Order the valve and connect it to the nearest AC vent duct using a plastic hose. I've ordered the valve, will be doing the DIY when I get the parts and I find some spare time.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st June 2015 at 19:50.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2015, 19:48   #32
BHPian

As an owner of a VENTO for 4 years, i can tell you that is one quality car. The TDI engine can put a smile on an owners face each time you dab the acceleration.

The car has come a long way. Especially considering that, i bought the highline variant of the launch version that did not even have basic features like an MP3 player or an Aux in.

Car is now showing its age. High time vw considered a replacement like Honda did with the city.

Suffice to say that its international variants like the International Skoda Rapid (http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/models/rapid/#)and Seat Toledo (http://www.seat.com/carworlds/toledo/overview.html) are much better looking

Last edited by Vid6639 : 1st June 2015 at 22:59. Reason: highland to highline.
acidkill is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2015, 08:52   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I would say the real USP is the DSG with the 1.5L TDI!
This is true from my experience too. DSG was the reason for me opting for Vento and TDI happened to be the bonus (I had booked the TSI when DSG-TDI wasn't launched but didn't get delivery for 6 months in my preferred color; the color became available only in TDI afterwards).

Have completed 10000 KMs in 7 months and the drive has been a pleasure so far with zero niggles. Hope VW does more to inspire customer confidence about DSG and I see no reason why they couldn't sell a lot more Ventos.
rejeen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2015, 11:18   #34
Senior - BHPian

While the Vento continues to be bashed for being OLD in comparison to the City or the Verna, I'm really wondering from an enthusiasts pov if the car is really losing out to the City or the Verna.

Looks - Unquestionably the Vento is too understated and quite frankly is lost in the crowd. But it doesn't mean the competition is winning by a mile. Verna is more like a boring corolla, City is more Chinese rip off than the Japan pedigree ten years before.

Engine & Transmission - Haven't driven the 1.5L diesel. The 1.6L Diesel was indeed powerful. DSG Auto, well has it's fans, doesn't it?

Build Quality - Germans are way ahead.

Ride & Handling - Fiesta >> Vento in this area. But apart from the sibling Rapid, does anyone else come close?

Features - Vento I guess loses on the latest gizmos.

Sales & Service - VW is clearly inconsistent and gets more flak for this.

So whether it's 2010 or 2015, whether the car/platform is new or old, is the Vento bad just because it's old?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 2nd June 2015 at 11:20. Reason: Corrected typo. Thanks!
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2015, 11:47   #35
Senior - BHPian

Default Volkswagen Vento facelift details out

Technical specs of the car too witness some changes. The newer car is longer and taller than the older car by 6 mm (4,390 mm) and 1 mm (1,467 mm) respectively. Wheelbase too seems to have increased by 1 mm (2,553 mm) while ground clearance has gone down to 163 mm from 165 mm. Boot space has gone up by 8 litres to 494 litre.

The Vento will be available in 6 colours - Titanium Beige, Carbon Steel, Toffee Brown, Night Blue, Reflex Silver and Candy White.

Fuel efficiency goes up across all variants:
1.6 MPI: 16.09 km/l (from 15.04 km/l)
1.2 TSI: 18.19 km/l (from 16.93 km/l)
1.5 MT: 20.4 km/l (from 20.34 km/l)
1.5 DSG: 21.50 km/l (from 21.21 km/l)

Link to News Article

Last edited by S2!!! : 2nd June 2015 at 11:49.
S2!!! is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2015, 11:56   #36
BHPian

I actually think the Vento is the best looking sedan in the segment especially City going the Verna way in the new generation; I find that design way too busy and overdone. My only gripe with the "new Vento" is the lack of a good HUD & projectors. the chrome especially in the rear could also have been toned down a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Looks - Unquestionably the Vento is too understated and quite frankly is lost in the crowd. But it doesn't mean the competition is winning by a mile. Verna is more like a boring corolla, City is more Chinese rip off than the Japan pedigree ten years before.

Last edited by ampere : 2nd June 2015 at 11:59. Reason: Minor Typo Fix
Bhodrolok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2015, 13:28   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhodrolok View Post
I actually think the Vento is the best looking sedan in the segment especially City going the Verna way in the new generation; I find that design way too busy and overdone. My only gripe with the "new Vento" is the lack of a good HUD & projectors. the chrome especially in the rear could also have been toned down a bit.
+1 to this. For me also the Vento is the best looking C Segment Sedan especially with this latest face lift. There is some kind of elegance it radiates-especially in the Toffee Brown and Night Blue shades. Of course, just my personal opinion. Looks are quite subjective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post

Features - Vento I guess loses on the latest gizmos.

Sales & Service - VW is clearly inconsistent and gets more flak for this.
I think this face lift has addressed some of the gaps with respect to nice to have features found in at least 2-3 cars in the segment-Auto Folding ORVM, Integrated Indicators, Cruise Control, external boot opening, cooled glove box.

One key thing missing is a decent AVN System with Reverse Cam. Although they have the Philadelphia 835 as an option, it would have been good if they provided it as a standard at least in the highline. Another one is projector headlamps-Found in Rapid and Verna.

What else is really missing? DRL's, Auto headlamps and Wipers- I think only the Verna has these. Keyless entry with Start/Stop button is another one. Cannot really think of any other major nice to have feature missing.

Sales and Service is the biggest drawback: Very inconsistent and can be expensive if you are hit with non standard issues. And of course, their network is nowhere close to Maruti and Hyundai and even Honda.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 2nd June 2015 at 13:29.
Rajeevraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2015, 13:39   #38
BHPian

Although I'm a big fan of the Polo's looks, I've found the Vento to be a tad too bland for my taste. While the Polo looks timeless, the Vento's rear end looks way too bland, and I'm a little disappointed that there's not many significant changes to the rear apart from the faux LED lights. This facelift does more justice to the price though, and the Passat like front is a welcome change.
sidzzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2015, 13:42   #39
BHPian

Default Re: Volkswagen Vento facelift details out

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Technical specs of the car too witness some changes. The newer car is longer and taller than the older car by 6 mm (4,390 mm) and 1 mm (1,467 mm) respectively. Wheelbase too seems to have increased by 1 mm (2,553 mm) while ground clearance has gone down to 163 mm from 165 mm. Boot space has gone up by 8 litres to 494 litre.
What is surprising to me is the wheelbase. How has it increased by only 1mm? I'm sure VW won't spend time and money to just increase the wheelbase by a paltry 1mm!
aveoman19 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2015, 13:55   #40
BHPian

which brings me to the question for current owners... TDI or TSI? i have always driven petrol cars and I do realize the modern diesels are just as good as petrol ones. However from a daily usage and driving point of view can someone point out the pros and cons other than cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejeen View Post
This is true from my experience too. DSG was the reason for me opting for Vento and TDI happened to be the bonus
Bhodrolok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2015, 17:24   #41
BHPian

This upgrade is indeed a good one considering the several previous minor upgrades. The car looks matured and pleasing. Unlike the "add ons" given in some of the earlier upgrades these are proper design changes to the looks.

But still I feel VW must consider bringing in completely fresh models every 4 years or 5 years and stick to that. The annoying bit is keeping several very useful features out of the newly introduced model and keep adding them one by one with every minor upgrade (ex. integrated turn indicators, folding ORVM, bluetooth audio etc).

A 14L on road car must have a touch screen audio, 6 speakers, rear view camera, auto lights & wipers, 6 air bags, tyre pressure sensors, cooled glove box. I am still annoyed that my 2012 Vento did not come with bluetooth connectivity for audio.

Upgrades must be mainly on headlamp/tail lamp design, DRLs, additional screens for rear passengers, engine options/tune, maintenance packages, sport package, wheel options and so on. Giving minor features as upgrade every 6 months is not great customer point of view.
LandCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2015, 19:54   #42
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Volkswagen Vento facelift details out

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Wheelbase too seems to have increased by 1 mm (2,553 mm)
VW has made an error with noting the numbers. It is impossible for the wheelbase length to increase by 1 mm on what is essentially a facelift.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2015, 20:59   #43
Team-BHP Support

It has taken quite a while for Volkswagen to give the Vento a relatively new face and introduce features like auto-fold ORVMs, a feature that ought to have been present on the car given that the competition has moved up considerably in terms of features and equipment. Heck, 7-lakh hatchbacks have Auto-Fold ORVMs these days! What took VW so long to give their high-volume sedan this feature? And even after 5 years of being in production, the Vento still does not receive Projector+DRL+Xenon package, even though it's present on the same refreshed Vento in other markets.

Quote:
which brings me to the question for current owners... TDI or TSI? i have always driven petrol cars and I do realize the modern diesels are just as good as petrol ones. However from a daily usage and driving point of view can someone point out the pros and cons other than cost?
IMO, it depends purely on the number of miles you intend on logging. If mileage is high, I'd suggest the diesel. The Vento TDI, like most other diesels, are happiest when on the highway - munching miles. Oodles of torque gives you enough pulling power to cover distances in a relaxed manner. The TSI and other petrol cars are capable too, but since they aren't as torquey or as fuel-efficient as their diesel counterparts, they're better off when pressed into service within the confines of the city. That siad, it all depends on your preference.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2015, 21:35   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
That siad, it all depends on your preference.
Hey Bhodrolok having owned the diesel engine after 2 petrol cars, I can vouch for a fact that VW TDI engines are in a different league. I own the 1.6 GT TDi and it is everything that some of the fast petrol engines offer with a bonus of brilliant fuel efficiency.

I agree completely with Suhaas here as it depends totally on what you want or prefer at the end of the day.

However, here are my 2 cents which you may want to give a thought on:

- If you are confused between the Polo GT twins, I think the 'Cost difference' b/w Petrol and Diesel car goes for a toss, since both the GTs are priced same. My vote is for GT TDi though .

- Many of the new and past owners of the TSi have been reporting few issues with the DSG gearbox. Probably, VW themselves are still unsure of a permanent solution. If I were you, I would still not take a chance with an otherwise brilliant gearbox.
Vik0728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2015, 21:38   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
It has taken quite a while for Volkswagen to give the Vento a relatively ne The TSI and other petrol cars are capable too, but since they aren't as torquey or as fuel-efficient as their diesel counterparts, they're better off when pressed into service within the confines of the city. That said, it all depends on your preference.
While this may be true for the NA petrol engines, I would disagree with respect to the 1.2 TSI. Being a Turbo petrol it is almost as torquey as their diesel counterpart and is totally at home on the highway.

Quote:
I have not driven the new 1.5 Diesel. But being an owner of the Vento TSI and based on my reading an understanding, my feedback is that the Petrol TSI is a better option (Of course-Keeping the cost factor aside) for the following reasons
  • The 1.2 TSI is a Turbo Petrol. Which means it gives you the diesel like torque. The power figures are the same between the TSI and TDI- 105PS. The TSI has 177NM of torque as compared to the 250NM of the TDI. But the TSI peak torque band extends from 1500 all the way to 4100 RPM. While the TDI peak torque band is from 1500-2500 RPM.
  • The TSI, being a petrol is a more rev happy engine.
  • The TSI sounds better. It is super silent when driven in D mode with a light foot. At 70kmph in D7 on a good smooth highway, almost seems like you are driving an electric car (ok maybe not completely true- But very close ). Even when driven with a heavy foot, the engine sounds real good.
  • The TSI can be remapped to bump up the power and torque. There is a Pete's remap to take the power to 126 PS and Torque to 210 NM. Several owners of the Polo TSI have done this. Not sure if the power output of the TDI can be bumped up, but the torque cannot since 250nM is the limit of this 7 Speed DSG Box.
  • Finally the TSI is 1-1.5L cheaper than the TDI DSG. So unless the usage is high, it is going to take a few years get the ROI on the TDI.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 2nd June 2015 at 21:46.
Rajeevraj is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote