Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 27th August 2006, 21:47   #1
BHPian

Default Traffic Police Cameras at Major Junctions !

Guys in Mumbai..have you all noticed since past 2 weeks or so,the Traffic Police department have fitted Zicom security Cameras at all major junctions in Mumbai !..there are silver poles specially made for the cameras,and a wireless antenna is fitted at the top of the poles.They relay the video directly to police traffic control center..I guess these cameras are in the testing phase right now.
Right now,they have fitted around 30+ cameras,and plan to increase it to 3 fold within the next few months..I actually didn't notice these till recently,when I read a small article in Times of India about it,and then looked around at junctions,and did notice these gadgets atop poles !..
Will take a few snaps and post it here..
Cheers,
-sr

Last edited by srasania : 27th August 2006 at 21:48.
srasania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2006, 02:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

Saw one of those while I was being driven around Bombay today. Smart move.

Also noticed additional 'policing' on the National Highways in Kerala these days - now we have the saada police from each precinct, the Highway Patrol AND the new Motor Vehicles Department jeeps, the last of which await unsuspecting motorists with speed cameras on deserted highway stretches where one tends to step on the gas.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2006, 06:31   #3
BHPian

Smile

It is a good move ... Technology to aid the police staff.

Chennai has got cameras about 6 months back for important junctions. We do not how effectively these video streams are used by the police to spot the erring drivers. Hope that the process will evolve over time, and soon there will be effective use of this technology by the police.
goldsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2006, 09:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

A step towards a better traffic system. Seems like they are only for checking traffic movement and not for checking who breaks traffic rules. I'm sure they'll cater to that soon.

IMO, before starting cameras etc, they should start making those lines on the road. Specially stop lines, BEST parking lines and zebra crossings.

The pedestrian signal light is the most useless light. No one EVER follows them except on those WIDE roads where you wouldn't want to ignore them.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2006, 10:05   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

It most certainly is a step in the right direction. I dont know if it will help them in catching traffic rule offenders, but will be more of a tool for traffic planning (gauging bottlenecks etc.)

Good job. Lets see how they use it now.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2006, 10:07   #6
BHPian

Default Traffic Camera's in Bangalore too!

These traffic camera's are being installed in Bangalore too! Saw them near the Police Commissioner's office on Infantry Road!
mtnrajdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2006, 10:23   #7
BHPian

A step in the right direction. Could these new cameras be due to the terrorist attack or something or were they planning it b4 the attacks?

Now only if they could do something to impliment lane rules. IMO that would reduce a lot of accidents.
Centro-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2006, 10:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centro-P
A step in the right direction. Could these new cameras be due to the terrorist attack or something or were they planning it b4 the attacks?

Now only if they could do something to impliment lane rules. IMO that would reduce a lot of accidents.
We have extremely few roads with proper lane markings, so habit is simply not there. Unless entire mindset is changed when renovating / making new roads all over the country and with traffic management / lane merging, etc. habits will simply not change. I am encourage though that mostly truckers in Western India do tend to observe lane discipline by sticking to the left lane.

New cameras are good, but I think in short term only to check traffic / terrorism (and till they work). There is no system of challaning so once you are beyond the cop, you are free. Earlier, they used to post you a traffic offence violation notice but will to implement anything not lining one's pocket is total non-starter in India.

Also see how speed guns are used - on empty roads they will put ridiculous limit of 40/50 km/h and wait for you. So this is just a type of tax.
sandeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2006, 11:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep
These traffic camera's are being installed in Bangalore too! Saw them near the Police Commissioner's office on Infantry Road!
Even i have seen ,but not anywhere else . BTW that might be just keep as formality .
I doubt ,how well they would be maintained/interconnected/centrally connected and protected from stealing it.Those could easily be worth thousands of rupees.

Last edited by black12rr : 28th August 2006 at 11:31.
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2006, 11:40   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr
protected from stealing it.Those could easily be worth thousands of rupees.
and i was also thinking the same. It could be worth thousands and how will they protect it.

They had tried this in Hyderabad long time back. But, I think it was not on as large scale operation as it is in Mumbai. They had installed few cameras in important junctions. I am not aware of their fate now. Never heard about them after that.
windsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2006, 12:26   #11
BHPian

Somehow I do not feel very comfortable with the idea of surveillance. Its like I am in prison for having done some heinous act and now someone has to watch what I do round the clock. The purpose may be genuine, but still... I guess that's a price you have to pay for modernisation.
prabuddhadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2006, 13:22   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg
Somehow I do not feel very comfortable with the idea of surveillance. Its like I am in prison for having done some heinous act and now someone has to watch what I do round the clock. The purpose may be genuine, but still... I guess that's a price you have to pay for modernisation.
Maybe the song should be modified: Every step you take, every move you make, every breath you take, Big Brother will be watching you...
sandeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2006, 17:20   #13
BHPian

Doubtless, a first step in the right direction.
If vehicle e-ID comes, such cameras fitted with a sensor can:
Catch signal jumpers
Enforce congestion taxes
Make vehicle theft not so easy
Keep tabs on crime, terror..
More?
Poseidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2006, 09:13   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Also noticed additional 'policing' on the National Highways in Kerala these days - now we have the saada police from each precinct, the Highway Patrol AND the new Motor Vehicles Department jeeps, the last of which await unsuspecting motorists with speed cameras on deserted highway stretches where one tends to step on the gas.
I thought these fellows stood there on the side of the roads chit-chatting and hanging around their Qualises. I assume the Qualis people are the Highway Patrol. Are radar detectors available for purchase in any of the big cities? Invariably, one ends up bribing these folks instead of paying the government, so why pay them?

I am not sure what good the traffic cameras are going to be with all kinds of paints people use to paint their number plates.
THE-U- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2006, 09:55   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep
I swear that will not be for the traffic control, it will be to watch the commissioner's office gate

Anyways, i feel it is really a good thing we have them on roads. Hope this brings discipline on the roads in Bangalore which i feel is lacking in Bangalore traffic. I saw them in UK, They really make a difference over there.

Last edited by willy : 29th August 2006 at 09:58.
willy is offline   Reply With Quote