Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 8th June 2015, 20:11   #16
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: May 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Government organisations seem to be favouring the Ciaz at the moment. It used to be Ambassadors, which were replaced by SX4s, which are now being retired in favour of the Ciaz. Those who have bought the Ciaz, absolutely love it. The interior space is the main attraction.
Aditya is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 20:34   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
We brought home one of the 5012 Ciaz-es that were sold last month.
Congrats. Nice to see you upgrade to another Suzuki. What were the factors that promoted the choice?

Polo is doing some good numbers. Mobilio is back with some healthy nos after a dismal April. Duster sales drop is alarming. Any reason, saturation or anticipation for the Creta and S-Cross?

Last edited by mail4ajo : 8th June 2015 at 20:43.
mail4ajo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 20:36   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti has 9 entrants in the Top 20.
Hyundai has 4.
Honda has 2.
Mahindra has 2.
Toyota has ONE. It is the world's largest car maker !
Volkswagen (a surprise entry) and Ford have one each.
Tata has none !
anjan_c2007 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 20:50   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Toyota has ONE. It is the world's largest car maker !
Excellent observation. Shows the commitment of the company to the Indian market. What they can really excel at is well made B2/C1 segment cars. Imagine what a Vios/Yaris could have done for them. Even the Tata Vista is outselling the Etios/Liva. Brand name alone doesn't sell. Innova sales should take a beating with new entrants like the Lodgy.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 8th June 2015 at 20:52.
mail4ajo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 22:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

Default May 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Excellent observation. Shows the commitment of the company to the Indian market. What they can really excel at is well made B2/C1 segment cars. Imagine what a Vios/Yaris could have done for them. Even the Tata Vista is outselling the Etios/Liva. Brand name alone doesn't sell. Innova sales should take a beating with new entrants like the Lodgy.

I think on contrary with respect to innova. Innova is a time tested vehicle. It's sales mainly come from commercial sectors like travel and tour owners and long distance chauffeuring people. It has built up its own reputation in this sector over time after Toyota Qualis which was gold standard when it was introduced. ( one of the travels owner I know got a Qualis second hand run 1 lakh kms for 6 .2 Lakhs way back when it was discontinued as he vouched for its robustness and reliability). Even now Tavera is a hot selling cake among these people. Innova caters similarly to commercial sector more than individual buyers. I don't think Lodgy can upstage it or even give a small competition in any way.

But I agree toyota made a big mistake in upgrading c2 segment Corolla to D2 segment altis. Why fix it when ain't broken . Etios is again going the tata way and there are too many ola cabs and meru etios around so I don't think people perceive it as individual owned car and the cost cutting and centrally placed tacho doesn't add premiumness to privately owned car. Though they are worlds one of the largest car makers unless they introduce a mass sedan in C2 segment they are going to go downhill

Last edited by GTO : 9th June 2015 at 14:27. Reason: Typo
geeash is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th June 2015, 00:30   #21
BHPian

More Jettas than Octavias, this is interesting. I spoke to a Skoda dealer last week, he was boasting on how the Octi was selling atleast 10 times the Jetta. While I did not want to believe him, even if it was 3 times (and not 10) the figures tell a different figure. The all new Skoda on the MQB and the mere face lifted Jetta are really no comparison on paper. Even though the numbers are dealer dispatches, here is the supply situation of both the cars : The Jetta is available in a 30 - 45 day wait period and the Octi within 45 days, both cars depending on similar choice of colors. Supply and demand balance, so its not VW or Skoda pushing more than consumption. It will be interesting to watch for a few more months before deciding if the MQB is really showing value to the end users. Its interesting to see if the parent VW is getting traction as the premium maker of cars than the Skoda.
man_and_machine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2015, 01:06   #22
BHPian

Unhappy Re: May 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Coming to the Zest, I hear theres waiting for some variants. Are they capacity crunched to limit the numbers to 2k or is there something else?
Yes, kept me wondering as well, considering how good the car actually is. Some Revotron variants are guzzling fuel, however, this is not a complaint at all on the Diesel front. The Tata image (which I feel is unnecessarily blown out of proportions) might have a say here.
Old 9th June 2015, 10:37   #23
BHPian

Wow i20! Now that's consistent. This is one car which has changed my opinion on Koreans, mediocre steering notwithstanding!
Tata Bolt is an eggshell alright! But it's designed in Europe!
Safari has grown eight folds. What's the magic?

The top 5 places are consistent. At least until another Suzuki comes in. It would be interesting to see if the Celerio diesel affects the reign of Swift. They are from different segments though, But product cannibalisation for the manufacturer can be a possibility since they share the same showroom space. Add mouthwatering price and mileage to that! I see Suzuki's numbers only set to grow.

Interesting to note 50% Hatchback and 25% Sedan shares. Also, post Suzuki and Hyundai launch their compact SUVs this might change!
rangarx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2015, 10:39   #24
BHPian

Great compilation, Aditya. Thank you.

YoY Industry has grown by 7% and its really a good sign. Major contributors to this growth are Maruti & Hyundai with 10+% individual growth. That's really a good achievement considering how crowded some segments are in our country.

Last edited by GTO : 9th June 2015 at 14:29. Reason: Typo
GetLife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2015, 10:57   #25
BHPian

Thanks for sharing the data Aditya. Missing crisp analysis of GTO. Hope to see it again next month. Not sure whether growth has come back to Automotive sector. Except for the top few, others are presenting a dismal picture.

Surprise pack for May is Volkswagen Polo numbers. Need to wait for June data to see whether it is a one-month show.

Has Lodgy cannibalized Duster sales? At least it seems so from the reported numbers.

Maruti and Hyundai are leading the way and with critical new launches planned in the coming months, their numbers should be going north in the next few months.

The pricing of Jazz will be crucial for Honda to sustain their growth story in the future.
Old 9th June 2015, 11:07   #26
Senior - BHPian

Have you Guys heard the famous Neil Diamond song " The Singer Sings his Song"?

Well, the monthly predictions are so much akin to Diamond's crooning the famous lines.
Here, the singer is Maruti where as it sings songs of its 9 models in the top 20.

Sort of equates to its overall market share of close to 45%.
My wish list: Pls. revive the Ritz. Its a nifty and capable Swift challenger and the nos. are not bad. A complete tail treatment with some changes to the dash, the Ritz can easily rake in 5k+ nos.

Hyundai is also doing well for itself but I put my money on the black horse named the Aspire.

Would be interesting how Ford positions this much anticipated and awaited car in a highly competitive sub 4 metre space.
This could make or break for the US giants. They cant be too greedy and they cant stay foolish at the same time.

Zest is waning and unfortunately, this small well put up car from the Tata stables did not enjoy the success that say, even a Manza enjoyed during its early days.
Bolt is and will be a dud. You cant beat the leader on features alone. You need the extra "Zest" pun intended to do that.
Other Tata Cars are write offs and my heart sort of pains to see that the Manza is doing such pitiable numbers.
I have seen this car up close and always felt it to be a great sedan with acres of space and devoid of normal/most of the Tata niggles.

VW numbers may not be sustainable coz I have a feeling that they suffer from capacity constraints. The Vento facelift, though understated looks good.
Will bring in some numbers for the Germans.

Polo may be relegated to the 2K nos. in the future like before.

M&M is spreading tself too thin with practically more duds and lesser hits.
Any radical changes to its Bread and Butter Bolero can have a drastic hit to its numbers.
Scorpio though looks good, find it over priced. XuV is finding few takers home.

GM- GM
General Motors, Good Morning!!
This is yet another month and its another month to wake you up.
Pls. wake up and see that the scenario around you has changed.
You were the pioneer of automobiles at one time.
Now, you are but a laggard.
Can we brew you a fresh dose of coffee?
Or is it just going to be another month of downhill free way?
Infuse some energy, wake up or the slumber will kill you(i.e if you are not dead already).

Toyota
Heard this joke:
Q: What does a Toyota and Tiger Woods have in common?
A: They both don't know when to stop.

Thats the case with the largest manufacturer in India.
They just dont know when to stop giving is products that may undercut the segment offerings.

Price it high and sell it for the "T" badge. No doubt they are reliable. Yet, no traction where the meat is.

Wish list:
Facelifted Etios with ACC, Conventional Dash and a few for features.
Believe me, the sales can increase substantially!!

FIAT

Fix it Again, Thambi

Where do you go from here?
Patan yatra has commenced in a Fiat vehicle. Bon Voyage!!
arnabchak is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th June 2015, 11:15   #27
Senior - BHPian

Maruti:

Wow, they are doing just the great numbers, awesome. Almost 48% market share is simply unbelievable in this crowded market. They are targeting 50% + market share for sure. Their upcoming line up looks very promising as well. SX4 Cross, new Ertiga, new luxury hatchback, DZire diesel AMT, upcoming small SUV & what not are in pipeline. Ciaz doing great numbers and giving fight to City, Verna has lost the game now, clearly. Omni & Eeco numbers are mind blowing. Dzire is the best compact car and nobody is even near it. Alto Swift & Waggie are the legends on the Indian roads.

Hyundai:

Again doing good with Elite i20 and Grande i10. But apart from that nothing much. Eon loosing it slowly, Verna finding it tough against City & Ciaz, old i10 is going for slow death. They need to do something to gain more numbers.

Honda:

City is the King, again and again. Apart from City all are struggling. Amaze is nowhere near Dzire, Brio is dead long back, Mobilio is not doing much as well. Jazz has to take lot of burden now but pricing will decide its fate.

Mahindra:

As usual, Bolero, Scorpio and XUV bringing them all the volume. Nothing else. Quanto undate is in pipeline but its a flop before its launch. Don't know why Mahindra even trying it. Its not a hatchback, not a SUV. Its in between & failed. Verito is a dead rubber now.

Tata:

Feel sorry for Tata. New Nano, Zest & Bolt has potential to do at least 10-12 K + sales per month together easily. But they cant even do 5 K. Their own A.S.S. has to blame here. Safari doing some better numbers. Nothing else from big T.

VW/Skoda:

Polo doing good, may be inventory done at dealers so sudden hike. Rapid doing ok. Nothing else to talk about.

Renault/Nissan:

Duster is struggling now. Lodgy doing ok. Don't think it will sell in good numbers in future but will support Renalut for sure, at least will do better than Scala & Pulse. Nissan has lost the game now, nothing selling in numbers.

Toyota:

Innova & Fortuner are doing cool as usual. Else bringing some numbers. Nothing much expected in coming months as well.

Ford:

I guess enthusiastic people has bought their Fiesta now, so we can declare it a official flop now. EcoSport is doing ok numbers only, nothing special.

Fiat:

They are maintaining their exclusivity in the market. They are rare than BMW, Merc.

Datsun:

Still not sure why they exist in market.
aniketi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2015, 11:18   #28
BHPian

Thanks, great information as usual. The revival of auto sector growth seems to be in tandem with the economic growth of the country, reduced fuel prices have further added to it.
This seems to be the biggest news for May 15 in the analysis:
- Entry of VAG group in top 20

What can be expected in the coming months:
- %age share of MSIL going up with Celerio Diesel (may be top 10 space gets further monopoly of MSIL)
- Small SUV segment (new additions and impact on C1/C2 sales)
- Vento facelift acceptance by market
- Premium Hatch (dogfight between Jazz and i20) none other is worthy of competition here, I don't think Ford Aspire hatch will get a chance to compete here

Cheers !
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2015, 11:38   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
I understand Tata must be disappointed with the Zest numbers, but I see that they have stepped up their effort to take this car to more people. I have a feeling that if Tata can somehow keep up this number for few more months and make it a familiar sight on our roads, the number would go up in about six months - obviously they have a stellar car and have the network that has a reach second only to Maruti.
The one thing that Tata must do better is improve PR and visibility. Both these should then translate to higher desirability.
Old 9th June 2015, 11:53   #30
BHPian

Thanks for the numbers, although I don't understand numbers much.

Really miss the condensed version from GTO in good old English.
Closed Thread