Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 10th June 2015, 21:54   #91
BHPian

Default Re: May 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Architect View Post
I think we are going way out of topic.
Boss, I quoted a different post in my initial reply. It was not yours at all. That is what started the debate with you replying to another BHPian and me replying to you etc.

Except for the Zest which is bigger in proportions, the Dzire matches or betters the dimension of every other car in the segment. I can quote our very own team-bhp review which praises the comfort of the car although it seems short for tall passengers. And as you have mentioned in the post, there are quite a few features that are missing between Amaze, Dzire, Xcent and the Zest. Not one car can satisfy all requirements of a person.

I don't intend on continuing this anymore as I only took offence to the initial post which simply ignored all the positive attributes of the car.

Peace out!

Last edited by SchumiFan : 10th June 2015 at 21:57.
SchumiFan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 22:19   #92
JD1
BHPian

Wow the May 2015 Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis is turning out to be an analysis of C1 segment! This inspite of an excellent 141 post thread already running here-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...dai-xcent.html (Tata Zest vs Maruti Dzire vs Honda Amaze vs Hyundai Xcent)

I am happy that we have so many choices now in this segment today, including Automatic available in these 4.

While sales indicate Dzire's leadership in this segment would be difficult to challenge this year, the most interesting numbers to watch out would be who would be second, especially after the launch of Aspire.

For me the Verna numbers look so disappointing but not surprising. I have Xcent and was on verge of buying Verna but the 4S did not inspire me and if I would have decided to buy a C2 car, I would have gone with City or Ciaz so again the numbers of City and Ciaz are not surprising.

Polo numbers on the other hand are positively welcome and hope this inspires VW to be more serious in Indian market.
JD1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2015, 09:30   #93
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Please continue the compact sedan comparo in the thread linked to by JD1. Lets discuss other segments also on this thread.

Thanks!
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th June 2015, 11:01   #94
@KP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
I agree with you on all other points but not this

Let's forget the "looks are subjective" cliche for a moment and let me ask you this - of the current offerings, is there a car that is more 'unattractive' than the Dzire?
How about Ritz? Vibe? Infact, the entire Indica/Vista/Indigo/Indigo CS family are not exactly lookers.

In the past we had the hideous Santro (1st or 2nd generation)
Old 11th June 2015, 11:33   #95
BHPian

I'm wondering if it is possible to do this analysis excluding Maruti. The reason is that MSIL is such a big monster, it distorts everyone else's performance - it is 3 times the #2 player and almost 6 times the #3 player.

Nobody expects to beat Maruti. They are all fighting for the rest of the market (sedans, compact sedans, hatchbacks) or to find some sort of a niche (MPV, SUV etc) where Maruti isn't strong (yet!).

Are these numbers available in some excel file to try such manipulations?
Old 11th June 2015, 11:53   #96
BHPian

While there is a heated debate of Maruti vs the rest, Maruti has increased their market share by 3%+ to lead the market from 44.69(May'14) to 47.90(May'15).
Old 11th June 2015, 14:15   #97
Senior - BHPian

Force motors sold a total of 555 Units in the last fiscal. Here's the company report. The sales include Gurkha and FOrce One.

http://www.bseindia.com/xml-data/cor...8D2_171251.pdf

The company exported 12 SUVs and Domestic sales were 502 units.
devarshi84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2015, 14:42   #98
Senior - BHPian

Does Renault have any production constraints? So far, it looks like the Lodgy has cannibalised Duster sales - what's worse is that the combined Duster+Lodgy sales isn't more than what Duster alone managed before Lodgy's launch. So, unless Renault is balancing Duster/Lodgy production leading to lower sales of the Duster, it's not looking good for either car.
Old 11th June 2015, 16:55   #99
BHPian

Interesting to note that all Maruti models sell at least 5000 units a month (except the Gypsy and Ritz). I think it has a lot to do with the way Maruti covers the length and breadth of our country. Example, in Shillong, they were the first car company to open a dealership. Now many others have come up but I think the trust quotient among the people for Maruti is way higher than other brands. And it maybe a small city, but it has a huge customer base. Another thing which stood out for me was the number of local mechanic shops which expertise in Maruti services and repairs. Possibly a reason why Maruti cars induce confidence for people to attach to the brand and become repeat customers.

Curiosity note: Can we know how many of the Ertiga sales were to Taxi/Tour operators vis-a-vis Family owners?
Old 13th June 2015, 10:31   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Toyota offers a 3 year warranty on the Innova. Mahindra offers up to the 5th year on the XUV500. I can guarantee you that if you pit 100 Innovas vs 100 XUV500s, the reliability score will be 98:2 in favour of Toyota. .
101% with that. When I was in the market for a big family car the XUV and the Innova were top contenders. I actually wanted to go for the XUV but my sister very strongly dissuaded me from doing that. Reason being her own experience with both the above cars. When hoardes of people were queuing up for the XUV lottery she too joined the bandwagon, sold off her 6 year old trusty Innova and went for the XUV. The honeymoon with XUV lasted for just over a year. The power steering failure in a crowded marketplace and gear box replacement were sufficient enough to shift her loyalties back to Toyota. She replaced her XUV with a Fortuner.

This also cleared the doubts in my mind. I wanted the car to spend maximum time on the road and not in the garage. Moreover knowing that the XUV is going to be facelifted and there will be an all new Innova in 2016, I didn't want to spend 15 big ones on a new car that would become obsolete within a year or two. Going for a pre-worshipped car made more financial sense and then which other used car better than an Innova, my signature says about my choice.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2015, 12:46   #101
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if we have the updated sales figures for June, however if the shipments for S Cross has begun the we would easily see 10 out top 20 sold by Maruti.

This is a super feat indeed considering in such a cut throat car market that we have the car at the last in this top 20 list from Maruti which is the Ciaz sells more than the total sales of 9 other manufacturers and more than combined sales of 4 other manufacturers.

So waiting with a baited breath to see the latest numbers and how the new models fare (Celerio - D, Lodgy, S Cross etc)
Old 15th June 2015, 15:39   #102
BHPian

Toyota selling 5000+ copies of Innova despite the launch of Lodgy is a clear indication that Innova is unstoppable. Fortuner on the other hand is yet to be challenged. While I don't see anything in near future that can dethrone Innova, New Ford Endeavour seem capable enough to dethrone Fortuner but only time will tell.
Looks like Brand Tata has taken a serious hit, they need all new products to gain the lost ground. With Land Rover by their side wondering what is taking them so long time to come with a competitive SUV.
Old 15th June 2015, 19:19   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Toyota selling 5000+ copies of Innova despite the launch of Lodgy is a clear indication that Innova is unstoppable. Fortuner on the other hand is yet to be challenged.
Agree, like I said in my other posts, Innova is unstoppable in the Indian market currently.

Toyota has increased prices every year with little or no modifications of bells & whistles and the Indian customer still purchase it. Toyota is reaping huge profits on the Innova in the Indian market.

For the longest time, the base variant did not have any air bags & G variant had only driver's side airbag yet they sold 5,000+ units a month. Then they decided (probably after feedback) to add air bags as 'standard' on G variants and they hiked prices, and again they sold over 5,000+ units. Now reading in some posts that in 2016 when Toyota has a facelift along with complete chassis change for the Innova the V variant price could be as high as INR 22L, and guess what they will still sell 5,000+ units per month

Would I buy a Toyota Innova? 'Yes' it is indeed a great vehicle and proven itself. Is Toyota selling it at an unreasonable premium to Indian customer? I think 'yes'.

i) In short, Innova will still be 'unstoppable' in the years to come, unless Honda comes up with something equivalent. e.g. in the US, Toyota Sienna & Honda Odyssey are comparable and are balancing each other. In India there is no 'true equivalent' of the Innova.

ii) Would be good to know of the high Innova sales in India every month, how many of the numbers are in the cab / government sales category and how many in private buyers. This is important since, Lodgy etc. may be predominantly private buyers. If we can compare the private buyer numbers for both, then it will be a fair comparison.

On the same argument, Fortuner will continue to dominate until an equivalent of a Honda Passport (comparable to US Toyota 4 Runner) is introduced in India.
Old 15th June 2015, 23:45   #104
BHPian

I'm really surprised about the poor sales numbers of the Verna. Being an owner of the 4S 1.6 SX Crdi myself, I love the silent and butter smooth Crdi unit, slick and short gear shifts, punchy mid and top range, superb fit and finish, and Hyundai's excellent service support to name a few. The suspension at silly speeds looks sorted out now. The steering at those speeds does seem a little vague, but not even half as bad as it's made out to be. Will write an ownership review soon, but these sales numbers deserve to be much more!
PearlJam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 11:03   #105
BHPian

Good to see VW coming back in the game riding the Polo. One question is why is HM Mitsubishi doing so badly ? Too expensive products ? Why won't Mistubishi launch their other sedans and facelift their SUVs ? I so much love the Outlander but I heard from lot of people that spares if needed are a really pain to buy. Why is the condition so bad for HM-Mitsubishi ?
Closed Thread