Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 25th June 2015, 16:32   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Nissan halts Evalia production due to poor sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbanerjee View Post
That will be the case perhaps, but is not there a clause, that even after the production stops, manufacturers should be providing all required support, including all spares and sundries, for a fixed period of 10 years?
On paper, yes. But given the paltry production run, there will definitely be issues after a few years with the larger body and glass parts.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2015, 16:41   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

I sat in a Leyland Stile (rebadged Evalia) recently, and the space in the middle row is terrific! Very-well constructed captain seats, with ample elbow room on both sides. From what I could glean in my 30-odd km ride, the car rides well and the engine is capable enough.

The glass-house design is a disaster though. It's comfortable but claustrophobic at the back, the 2nd/3rd row windows may as well not exist given their small size and weird design. Something like the Xylo's large window/glass design would be much better.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 25th June 2015 at 16:46.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2015, 16:41   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishsingh View Post
Boxy looks shouldn't be the first thing to be blamed, after all the Wagon R sells well with all its boxy looks. I remember reading somewhere that Indians are allergic to sliding doors; am pretty sure that this would be one of the major reasons for the Evalia's untimely demise.
Failure due to Sliding doors? What do you have to say about Eeco and Omni?

I feel this was not marketed properly and the tires are a tad too small for a car of this size. Looks extremely out of proportion to me.

Last edited by GTO : 29th June 2015 at 13:00. Reason: Language
TaurusAl is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 25th June 2015, 18:37   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Nissan has halted the production of the Evalia.
Source: Autocar Professional
The news might have come out only now, but according to an excerpt from article in ET on Nissan-AL JV (which I have quoted here), production halted 'few' months before Stile which means Evalia's production could have stopped as early as Feb or March.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
This is the stamp of Carlos Ghosn

If it does not sell, withdraw it. Dont waste anymore time on it

Renault withdrew a lot of ts model range in the UK and kept only the Clio and Megane and introduced the Captur and Dacia brands. It seemed to have worked
Doesn't work in India. From the ET Report:
Quote:
Carlos Ghosn's tryst with Indian partners have always been rocky. First the high profile alliance between Mahindra and Renault for mid-size sedan Logan came undone. Subsequently, efforts to make an ultra low cost car with Bajaj also did not bear fruit and that led to a quiet exit.
Senna4Ever is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2015, 19:11   #20
BHPian

May be it is time for the launch of the next re-badged Nissan version of Lodgy and hence the withdrawal of Evalia to avoid clash in sales (or lack of sales which is more correct when speaking about Evalia).

Just kidding, but looking at the number of re-badged Nissan and Renault cars in India, we can't totally rule out that possibility. For once, Renault India acted wisely by not re-badging the Evalia thereby adding another product to their long list of non-sellers.
VinodDevil81 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2015, 19:13   #21
Team-BHP Support

While the Evalia was a dead-on-arrival prospect in the personal consumer space, it is rather surprising that it failed to catch on in the taxi segment as well. But its just as well that its been pulled out altogether: the public's memory of a failed product is short-lived and this should help Nissan's image somewhat.
theMAG is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2015, 22:37   #22
BHPian

Good Riddance! This will teach these manufacturers that India is not giffen country. I wonder if they'd ever introduce such hideous designs any place else.

Altima is not Teana. They compete againsts the likes of Accord and Civic respectively.
Fornax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2015, 23:58   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodDevil81 View Post
May be it is time for the launch of the next re-badged Nissan version of Lodgy and hence the withdrawal of Evalia to avoid clash in sales (or lack of sales which is more correct when speaking about Evalia).

Just kidding, but looking at the number of re-badged Nissan and Renault cars in India, we can't totally rule out that possibility. For once, Renault India acted wisely by not re-badging the Evalia thereby adding another product to their long list of non-sellers.
There will be no more rebadging as far as Renault and Nissan go in India. The Terrano was the last of the rebadged ilk.
JayPrashanth is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2015, 01:23   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fornax View Post
Good Riddance! This will teach these manufacturers that India is not giffen country. I wonder if they'd ever introduce such hideous designs any place else.

Altima is not Teana. They compete againsts the likes of Accord and Civic respectively.
Teana is a rebadged Altima. They are essentially the same cars, in US it is sold as Altima while it is sold as Teana in Asia. Neither of them compete with the Civic.
Astleviz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2015, 08:04   #25
BHPian

May be I am the only person sad to see this one go!

I have always had a soft-corner for people-movers and especially, the boxy slab-sided ones. For once, I was happy to see a people-mover being launched with sliding doors.

I loved it so much (the space especially) and went ahead and recommended it to a couple of friends (personal buyers). They had not even heard of such a car. They looked at pictures online, went ahead and bought an Ertiga and Mobilio respectively.

Sliding doors (especially if electrically operated) and incredibly practical for ingress / egress and especially for placing children / objects into the car. They are also helpful on slopes and tight parking spaces. I don't think sliding doors had anything to do with the failure of the Evalia though.

The butterfly windows were also a unique feature, but that did not stop the Tavera and Qualis from selling. May be personal buyers don't prefer them.

It was just wrong position, pricing and poor marketing. From Day 1, no one at Nissan seemed motivated enough to sell it.

I hope Indian buyers do start buying big vans and station wagons sometime in the future. Else, our market will always remain one of hatchbacks, sedans, SUVs and mini-vans.

Last edited by Viju : 26th June 2015 at 08:05.
Viju is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2015, 08:23   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Good time to hunt for bargain camper vehicle. Mechanicals are same / similar to Duster. Wrong positioning and pricing killed it.
sudev is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2015, 08:33   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtv View Post
Good Riddance.

Other than the Sunny no other Nissan car sells in reasonable numbers.
Terrano too has decent presence in market, isn't it?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 26th June 2015 at 09:27. Reason: Fixing quote.
sujithpnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2015, 08:56   #28
BHPian

I had "all the intent" to buy the Evalia at one point of time (early 2012 I think). Along with my wife, we even did a couple of long test drives. We rejected it and finally went for (what else??), a pre-owned Innova. The reasons were:

- We did not mind the van-like looks at all. We knew we are buying a minivan. What wife did not like was the commercial vehicle-styled steering wheel (angle, posture etc).
- Badly kitted out (at that point of time)- looked very Spartan.
- Did not have a powered door (like most models in US). We did not mind the sliding door per se, but felt that without a powered door, sliding it in and out is going to be a pain. Also, a dented (bike, cycle, auto) door panel in a hinged door is ugly but not a show stopper, but in a sliding door........given the very plausible "use case" of a dented door panel, we got worried.

- lastly, those ugly CV tyres. I don't mind changing tyres in an upgrade, but buying a vehicle with ugly CV tyres did not look like a palatable idea.

And that was the end of the Evalia in our family.

I agree. Nissan should be agile in changing their product strategy, especially early in its lifecycle. Its only human to err in strategy, but to plod on and on with something that is not working, is not a sign of a savvy marketer.

Last edited by Contrapunto : 26th June 2015 at 08:58. Reason: minor edits
Contrapunto is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2015, 11:34   #29
BHPian

I am actually more surprised by the failure of the Stile than the Evalia, given that these vehicles are much better suited to the commercial segment where Ashok Leyland is strong. And a light people-mover seemed like a good addition to their portfolio. There are in fact quite a few Stiles visible on the roads in Chennai, run by taxi companies like Fasttrack. Ashok Leyland still advertises the Stile on their webpage.
rsidd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2015, 12:03   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsidd View Post
I am actually more surprised by the failure of the Stile than the Evalia, given that these vehicles are much better suited to the commercial segment where Ashok Leyland is strong. And a light people-mover seemed like a good addition to their portfolio. There are in fact quite a few Stiles visible on the roads in Chennai, run by taxi companies like Fasttrack. Ashok Leyland still advertises the Stile on their webpage.

The Stile with the passenger variant was always doomed for failure inspite of this being an improved version of Evalia, considering the CV image of Ashok Leyland.

there should have been more variants of goods carrier. But considering this was made at Renault Nissan plant, probably the goods carrier versions were ruled out.

It's just my opinion as having driven Evalia it sure was better than Innova and the cabbies driving an Evalia seems to be happy. A little bit of effort from Nissan could have helped move the vehicle in large numbers.

Yes the tyres are commercial vehicle tyres and the vehicle should have come with better and comfortable tyres.

Looks like they discontinued Evalia for the newer Lodgy.
varunanb is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote