Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 4th July 2015, 08:13   #61
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Economics of car ownership in light of the new services (Uber, Ola, Zoom)

A Car's EMI may cost anything from Rs 5000 to Rs 50000 - going by the hugely aspirational class of people these days.
Add to it the cost of Petrol / Diesel at say, 6000 per month and the phased monthly maintenance cost of about 1500-2000 per month including a few dings and general maintenance, parking, car washing and so on.
So taking a typical Mid/Senior Management executive's case
We assume an EMI of 20,000 + Fuel of 6000 + Maintenance of 2000 we can see a cost of 28000 per month. Add the cost of a driver (full time) and we are talking another 12-15K per month which brings the total up to around 40000 per month!

Uber/OLA may charge Rs 150 for a trip.

Assuming a typical office commute and back on daily basis, including Weekends, we are thinking of maybe even Rs 500/- per day on average (which is a high estimate).
We are thinking now about 15000 per month.

Even if one needs to go out of town say once a month, one can rent a Zoomcar at about Rs 3000 odd per day, so taking a 2 day weekend into account we are talking of about 6000 per month.

We are still at only Rs 21000/- per month if we go the Uber/OLA + Zoom route.

At around 50% (taking the above numbers into account), this is a significant saving over car ownership and maintenance.

A friend of mine at work did the math and his calculations come to Uber/OLA costs of about Rs 300 per day max + the monthly trip out of town at Rs 6000 odd.

Should he use Uber/OLA/ Zoom combination for his needs, he will spend only about Rs 15000 per month which is a clean saving for him, of Rs 25000 per month! Thats amazing indeed.

If nothing else, this extra 25000 saved per month can help pay off the Home EMI or perhaps provide a nice Foreign Holiday every year for 3 people!

It actually makes a lot of sense.

Saying that, there is a huge psychological factor that comes into Car Ownership - the absolute freedom that one enjoys by owning a vehicle has a lot to be said for it.

The downside of course is the daily driving, traffic, damages, fuel and other irritants and costs associated.

As a parting piece, theres a chap I know who lives in Dubai and has been living there for the last 8 years. He still doesn't own a car. He has a family of 3 besides himself. He uses Radio Cabs and Limo Cabs day in and day out for every kind of commute possible. And lives a reasonably stress free life!
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2015, 09:20   #62
BHPian

Default Re: Economics of car ownership in light of the new services (Uber, Ola, Zoom)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
A Car's EMI may cost anything from Rs 5000 to Rs 50000 - going by the hugely aspirational class of people these days.
Add to it the cost of Petrol / Diesel at say, 6000 per month and the phased monthly maintenance cost of about 1500-2000 per month including a few dings and general maintenance, parking, car washing and so on.
We assume an EMI of 20,000 + Fuel of 6000 + Maintenance of 2000 we can see a cost of 28000 per month. Add the cost of a driver (full time) and we are talking another 12-15K per month which brings the total up to around 40000 per month!

Should he use Uber/OLA/ Zoom combination for his needs, he will spend only about Rs 15000 per month which is a clean saving for him, of Rs 25000 per month! Thats amazing indeed.

If nothing else, this extra 25000 saved per month can help pay off the Home EMI or perhaps provide a nice Foreign Holiday every year for 3 people!

It actually makes a lot of sense.
If someone is paying for a full time driver, then he is leading a somewhat stress -free commute as well. Plus mid/senior management people are the least probable to make such a decision due to their hectic work schedules involving urgent meetings, extended work hours etc. For such a person, booking a cab, canceling it etc. is just adding to the already stressed work schedule. How much ever economic sense that's going to make, it's never going to be a breeze living that life.

By the way, won't most of these people be buying a car using the company lease program? So there is this added advantage of income tax excemptions they are getting, which too can be used for a good vacation IMO.
jayded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2015, 10:11   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry Shankar Sir. Sadly, I feel your analysis is partial and I disagree with parts of it. Considering the majority of car driving public, I feel that few things needs to be changed in your analysis - purely on the economic point of view - which might change the entire equation.
  • Chauffeur: How many of the general car driving public has a regular Chauffeur? I feel it is very less. Most of them go for self drive and might employ one specifically for long / night drives. It will be a minority who employ a chauffeur. For majority, the 12-15k is NEVER going to come into equation.
  • Resale: How come resale was not accounted for in the whole equation? Depreciating or not, car is an asset and definitely has a value associated. Tomorrow, when I sell the car after n number of years, I am going to get back some amount of the investment I made. Even if I go with a generic number 33% resale value (which I think is a low estimate) the 20k EMI becomes ~13k.
  • EMI: EMI is one of the HUGE components in your list contributing to a self-driver's account. But the fact is, we are not going to pay EMI life long - are we? EMIs are paid 30 months or 48 months based on the loan terms. How about the period after I have completed my EMI??

Quote:
Uber/OLA may charge Rs 150 for a trip.

Assuming a typical office commute and back on daily basis, including Weekends, we are thinking of maybe even Rs 500/- per day on average (which is a high estimate).
We are thinking now about 15000 per month.

Even if one needs to go out of town say once a month, one can rent a Zoomcar at about Rs 3000 odd per day, so taking a 2 day weekend into account we are talking of about 6000 per month.

We are still at only Rs 21000/- per month if we go the Uber/OLA + Zoom route.

At around 50% (taking the above numbers into account), this is a significant saving over car ownership and maintenance.
Rs 500 per day in a Ola / Uber is a decent estimate considering the person has to travel 15 kms one-way in peak traffic (I pay ~Rs 250 whenever I travel from Banaswadi to Madiwala on a weekday at 7-7:30 pm). However, when the peak-time surcharges, etc are becoming more and more common - that too in the scale of 2X and above, it might not remain 500-ish in the near future. But even if we go with your 21k per month for cabs, if we take an EMI paying car owner not employing a chauffeur, the effective expense will be 13.5k (EMI - return from future resale) + 8000 (fuel + maintenance) = 21.5k. For the convenience of owning a car and not having to wait for the cabbie, I will spend Rs. 500 extra.

Now, my math might not be perfect, so was yours but hope, I have made my point.

Quote:
A friend of mine at work did the math and his calculations come to Uber/OLA costs of about Rs 300 per day max + the monthly trip out of town at Rs 6000 odd.

Sir, If your friend's OLA bill per day maxxes out at 300 per day, his running is VERY less and so his fuel expenses will also be much lesser than the 6k we accounted for above. I am not doing any more math, but with all that coming into picture, things will even out again. I dont think he would save enough for his Home EMI or a foreign holiday - every month he might end up saving enough for a nice weekend dinner with family though .

Quote:
Saying that, there is a huge psychological factor that comes into Car Ownership - the absolute freedom that one enjoys by owning a vehicle has a lot to be said for it.

The downside of course is the daily driving, traffic, damages, fuel and other irritants and costs associated.
Yes sir, I totally agree with each and every word said above.
Vigkey is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2015, 11:13   #64
BHPian

Yesterday again, had aproblem with these guys.

Had booked a cab for my family. Distance is hardly 5 kms and is just a drop. The first driver regreted. Got details of another - regretted, third- he too regretted. So much for the taxi revolution.

Finally had to leave work early and pick them up and reached about an hour late as we had decided to not take an auto anymore.

Out of the number of trips taken very few, in my case its only thrice, had faced issues. But that is what I remember about my experience in using a taxi.

I like owning and maintaining vehicles rather than renting it for necessary needs. Its more of a hobby than a chore.

Owning a car is more of an emotional decision for me. I always believe finances to help in satisfying my emotional needs and not the other way around.

A taxi will never replace my car or cars in future. However expensive the ownership may be.
varunanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2015, 17:34   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
That is absolutely ridiculous and should be condemned. If it is a public road / street, the watchman has no rights to shoo you away - unless you are parking in front of the house gates.
Of course, and I generally do tell him it's my right to park there. But, (a) it happens so often it gets tiresome (I'm thinking particularly of the Adyar/Indira Nagar area in Chennai), (b) one has to understand that in most cases the watchman is going to get yelled at by the entitled saab if I park in "his" spot. Though, on one occasion when the watchman got particularly nasty, I asked if the saab is inside and he said yes. I rang the bell and demanded to speak to the saab who, taken aback, said there's absolutely no problem and told the watchman to let me park there!
rsidd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2015, 18:15   #66
Senior - BHPian

Hey

I love this debate. Thats the beauty of this Forum.
Yes I agree that the vast majority may not use a Driver.
Yes I also agree that I didn't bother to take into account the EMI but that was for a reason.

Most people change cars every 4-5 years and typically they upgrade to the next level or two levels up! This practically means that most people, through their working lives, will end up with some kind of car EMI to pay on a monthly basis.

Depreciation is definitely a point, as is resale. However the higher the segment, the greater the depreciation and the lower the resale value! Also, we ve both forgotten the cost of Insurance and Zero Dep, which on my car, hits around 35K per annum!

The point about Surge pricing is definitely valid. But my analysis was based on someone like myself, whose monthly running is quite low because of travel and frankly, because I just dislike driving in these high traffic scenarios of Bangalore and other cities.

I also agree with Jayded's post about Company Lease etc. Ref the Income Tax benefits, yes they are there, which is also why most Senior Company Folks in India use big expensive cars.

As for convenience, I actually know plenty of Senior Folks who actually use UBER/ OLA a lot, especially in the evenings.

So, like my friend, if I were to also go the Uber/Ola route instead of owning a car, then my monthly expenses could end up being capped at about 15K to 20K max. I do appreciate the downside of unpredictability of cab availability when you need one, especially when it rains in India!

I think the usage of UBER especially if one lives abroad, is perfect, because one does not need a car in most foreign cities, even in America. My wife lives in America as of now and I commute regularly between the two countries so I can clearly see that it is better to use UBER as required on the weekdays and rent a car on the weekends! Makes a lot of sense there.

Perhaps when India also evolves in terms of infrastructure etc, this similar scenario may apply here too!

Bottomline, whether in India or abroad, given these new revolutionary ideas in transportation, it is not absolutely necessary to own/ maintain a personal car - especially in the larger cities. It is a "nice to have" rather than a "must have".

I would seriously consider being "car free" and therefore "EMI free" as a serious option in the future.

Look at another upside. By renting a car, you get to drive some really lovely cars too! Zoom has even Merc GLA's at reasonable rental prices in India. Abroad, you are absolutely spoilt for choice!

End of the day, its lovely to own your own car, especially when you love to drive. But me, Im growing a little older and perhaps a little less inclined to run daily risks - hence, for people like me, the concept of Uber/OLA/Zoom is most definitely a good one to consider!

Another option is there - have and maintain a less expensive car in its Top Spec AT version as a simple emergency use runabout.

For all the serious usage requirements, simply rent a top class car and use it! For traffic laden drives, then use Uber and Ola etc.

This might just be a good plan, to get the best of both worlds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
Sorry Shankar Sir. Sadly, I feel your analysis is partial and I disagree with parts of it. [list][*]Chauffeur: How many of the general car driving public has a regular Chauffeur? I feel it is very less. [*]Resale: How come resale was not accounted for in the whole equation? Depreciating or not, car is an asset and definitely has a value associated.[*]EMI: EMI is one of the HUGE components......we are not going to pay EMI life long - are we? EMIs are paid 30 months or 48 months based on the loan terms. How about the period after I have completed my EMI??[/LIST
Rs 500 per day in a Ola / Uber is a decent estimate considering the person has to travel 15 kms one-way in peak traffic (I pay ~Rs 250 whenever I travel from Banaswadi to Madiwala on a weekday at 7-7:30 pm). However, when the peak-time surcharges, etc are becoming more and more common - that too in the scale of 2X and above, it might not remain 500-ish in the near future. But even if we go with your 21k per month for cabs, if we take an EMI paying car owner not employing a chauffeur, the effective expense will be 13.5k (EMI - return from future resale) + 8000 (fuel + maintenance) = 21.5k. For the convenience of owning a car and not having to wait for the cabbie, I will spend Rs. 500 extra.

Now, my math might not be perfect, so was yours but hope, I have made my point.
Sir, If your friend's OLA bill per day maxxes out at 300 per day, his running is VERY less and so his fuel expenses will also be much lesser than the 6k we accounted for above. I am not doing any more math, but with all that coming into picture, things will even out again. I dont think he would save enough for his Home EMI or a foreign holiday - every month he might end up saving enough for a nice weekend dinner with family though .
Yes sir, I totally agree with each and every word said above.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 4th July 2015 at 18:20.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2015, 18:46   #67
Senior - BHPian

Going beyond economics, today's cars don't require a fortune to own and maintain. Barring accidents, which one could avoid with some basic safety tips, there aren't many recurring expenses other than insurance and maintenance (which is annual, not every quarter!).

Then again a car offers so much more convenience than a hired cab. Pick your own route, your own stops, your own timings and your own speeds! On outstation trips it is very handy to have a schedule that ia completely in your control!

Within the city too a car offers a peace of mind when you have to stay up late at office, or go to a couple of distant places in thw weekend.

Of course, there are people who will prefer to go by the daily schedule of the public transport, have more or less fixed daily itineraries or just don't find the idea of owning a car interesting enough. And there are cabs for them. Mind you, no grudge!

I had set my mind on buying a car and was determined that I would avoid taking the public transport if I could. Also I love to drive. I definitely find my own car a great advantage overall.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2015, 21:58   #68
BHPian

Lightbulb Re: Economics of car ownership in light of the new services (Uber, Ola, Zoom)

Since this has become such an engaging discussion, I have created a rough excel sheet to compare cost of buying and owing a car vs. entirely relying on cabs + rental cars.

The following example I have created keeping in mind someone who lives in the city and has to travel 10KM to reach his office, and goes on a vacation once in every 4 months.

Economics of car ownership in light of the new services (Uber, Ola, Zoom)-nc_01.jpg

Here is the excel sheet; Feel free to change the values to suit your scenario!
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Self-owned car vs Cab & Rental-car.xlsx (22.0 KB, 305 views)
Games Goblin is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2015, 08:03   #69
Senior - BHPian

Games Goblin, no figures can cover the amount of convenience and the satisfaction value. Remember, it would work both ways.
honeybee is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2015, 11:41   #70
BHPian

Quote:

Another option is there - have and maintain a less expensive car in its Top Spec AT version as a simple emergency use runabout.
For all the serious usage requirements, simply rent a top class car and use it!
For traffic laden drives, then use Uber and Ola etc.

In the current Indian scenario,this looks to be the most workable and hassle free option, more so if you live in a crowded city, where driving through traffic is a nightmare.

In fact two of my senior neighbors have recently purchased medium sized automatics for city runabout after selling their premium diesels citing 'ease of driving'.
In our office too a senior colleague has purchased the City AT, using it for simple trips and holiday drives. Rest of the time he prefers the taxi.
arunkumarsarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2015, 13:06   #71
BHPian

Post Re: Economics of car ownership in light of the new services (Uber, Ola, Zoom)

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Games Goblin, no figures can cover the amount of convenience and the satisfaction value. Remember, it would work both ways.
Completely agree with your point! Noting can beat the flexibility and satisfaction of owing a car. But since this thread is focused on getting the most out of your money, that's why I drew up the comparisons

Going the cab+rental car route instead of buying a small diesel hatch can translate to a savings of roughly ₹60,000 a year during the first five years - for someone in the early phases of his career, this can be quite a significant saving.

After the EMIs have stopped, owing a car makes more sense as the main expense you'll incur are maintenance and insurance apart from fuel. So it makes financial sense to keep a new car for around 7-8 years.

Another alternative is to go for a pre-worshiped car. If one has around Rs.2 lakhs to pay as down-payment on a new car, he could use that money to go for a pre-worshiped car. So I looked around on the local classifieds in my area and found a good car in no time - a 2005 Chevy Optra 1.6LS in good condition with 62k on the ODO and full service history with GM workshop, quoted price was 2.25 lakhs.

Economics of car ownership in light of the new services (Uber, Ola, Zoom)-optraad.jpg

Now this listing says that it has a new battery and good tires, but going by the philosophy of "hope for the best, but expect the worst", I have added in the cost replacing the tires (around ₹20,000) and battery (around ₹5,500) in addition to carrying out a service (let's say ₹10,000), before starting to use the car - and I'll keep aside ₹40,000 towards any untoward expenses during the course of ownership for the next 5 years, apart from regular servicing.

Economics of car ownership in light of the new services (Uber, Ola, Zoom)-optra_cost.jpg

Even if the monthly fuel bills are more than that of a new diesel car, there are no EMIs to worry about and this works out cheaper in the long run - over a 5 year period, it would cost roughly ₹20,000 per year to keep an own car, rather than relying on cabs and rentals, a premium which is well justified for having an own car, in my opinion.

Of course nothing can remain constant for 5 years - the fuel cost, cost of app-based cabs, rental car cost and so on, but I hope this can provide a rough idea.

The attachment in my previous post had a mistake regarding the calculation of no. of services - here is the corrected one:
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Self-owned car vs Cab-revised.xlsx (21.9 KB, 221 views)
Games Goblin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2015, 13:29   #72
BHPian

Quote:
I would seriously consider being "car free" and therefore "EMI free" as a serious option in the future.

Look at another upside. By renting a car, you get to drive some really lovely cars too! Zoom has even Merc GLA's at reasonable rental prices in India. Abroad, you are absolutely spoilt for choice!

End of the day, its lovely to own your own car, especially when you love to drive. But me, Im growing a little older and perhaps a little less inclined to run daily risks - hence, for people like me, the concept of Uber/OLA/Zoom is most definitely a good one to consider!
Just my thoughts. I'm enjoying being "Car free" as of now after selling my car in March, and so far feeling good about it, though it feels nice to own a car and pamper it.

Quote:

For all the serious usage requirements, simply rent a top class car and use it! For traffic laden drives, then use Uber and Ola etc.

This might just be a good plan, to get the best of both worlds!
I've a two wheeler for this. However, this is also good option for people who completely wants to be safe from cabs not turning up/not being available/surge pricing. But beats the economics part of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Games Goblin View Post
Since this has become such an engaging discussion, I have created a rough excel sheet to compare cost of buying and owing a car vs. entirely relying on cabs + rental cars.

The following example I have created keeping in mind someone who lives in the city and has to travel 10KM to reach his office, and goes on a vacation once in every 4 months.

Here is the excel sheet; Feel free to change the values to suit your scenario!
This is very good. But most of them take decisions out of emotions rather than logic and numbers. Two times cab not turning up (or not turning up on time) can make one go and buy a car for himself.

One point to add here. If we go in for a used car, the numbers will change drastically. Assume I go in for a 3L used car. So no EMIs, but few costs will add-on like replacement of spares, additional repairs etc.

Anyway, I went with similar (actual) workings from my last 3 years of a used car ownership and decided to sell my car, which I did in March. Now Happy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Depending on Taxi + Self-drive will work if:
1. You use office provided transport for commute
2. You own a good motorcycle and use it for errands
3. You do not enjoy frequent late night drives etc.
4. You plan your long drives well in advance.

For the occasional getaway or occasion long drive, there's always Zoom.
For weekend shopping / outing within the city, there's always Ola.
For everything else, there is always your trusty motorcycle.
Spot on, as per my thought process - and I have a motorcycle

Well, renting or owning depends on one more factor. If cabs/rental companies are there in your city/town, and how is the availability. Cities where Uber, Ola, Zoom, Carzonrent are there, it is fine. But for other cities, it might not be possible to completely depend on cabs, or rentals.

Few more points here

Own a car
- if you have resources in plenty (monetary and otherwise) to maintain it, to get it serviced and repaired
- if you get put off by cab not turning up once in a while, or turning up late
- if all your outstation trips are impromptu
- if you hate to wait for cab to arrive once you are ready
- if you hate to go and pick up the self-drive vehicle and go to drop it back.

Use cabs/rentals
- if you want to channalise your resources (monetary and otherwise) to a different purpose
- if you are prepared and planned for eventualities like cab not turning up/turning late, and have a back-up plan (different cab service, auto etc).
- if most of your outstation trips are planned in advance
- if you can plan your booking of a cab such that you are ready when it arrives

Points above are based on my observation that many people hate cabs because either they don't turn up, don't turn up on time, surge pricing, not available etc.

Last edited by gk_fiesta : 5th July 2015 at 13:32.
gk_fiesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2015, 14:05   #73
BHPian

A topic that is being discussed hotly across the planet!

What do the new technologies mean in case of car ownership. If we were to consider the current scenario in India, then having a car for back-up is well advised in my view (an inexpensive city runabout). The primary mode of transport can be Uber/Ola/Zoomcar etc.

As other members have mentioned, the Cab operators do-not always provide the service when required.

One of the primary reasons for change into the personal transportation landscape is the decline in view of a car as an aspirational product, a trend seen clearly across the world. If we all start viewing a car as a means of getting from Point A - Point B then the reason for owning a car reduces, as long as the availability of a mode of transport is guaranteed.

Since people are wired to think of Car as their Steeds and thereby create a personal connection/bond with these vehicles, is the reason we want to 'own' them, take care of them, spend time with them and talk about them in Team-BHP .

Economics don't alone drive the debate at this point, emotions do get added into it.

Looking into the future, this topic will be even more hotly debated with services like ZipCar/BuzzCar

Quote:
In Bangalore, Ford is working with Zoomcar to test a sharing concept that would allow small groups, such as co-workers, apartment dwellers and families, to share a vehicle among multiple drivers. The approach helps consumers who can’t afford a car but want the benefits of owning one. Researchers plan to develop a model for vehicle scheduling and managing ownership.

The Experiment
Create a model for easy vehicle sharing among small communities, such as office workers, apartment dwellers and families.
From

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...ore-india.html

Last edited by kaushikr : 5th July 2015 at 14:06. Reason: Grammer
kaushikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2015, 19:43   #74
BHPian

Owning a car has become a necessity rather than a discretionary affair, especially as family and responsibilities grow.

Ola, Uber etc. may replace your odd pre-planned Airport, Shopping or Movie trip but as of now is not a sustainable alternative to regular commute to office. Frankly having you own car is one less thing to worry about daily and you have some 'me' time in the drive.

For ppl like me, who work odd hours and have to plan work partly from office / home most days of the week, a 30 mins delay can play havoc with those plans.

Also my car, long drives, holidays, memories are personal..There are some things that a few rupees saved don't justify.
charanreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2015, 09:16   #75
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

lovely idea to save money and not bother about parking, hire a cab!!! But have you considered this?
Suddenly planned/impromptu long drives? May be midnight ones?
Impulse drive to pick up ice cream at 2 am?
Child/parent/spouse/pet sick, a sudden fast dash to the doctor or hospital?
Its raining since the morning, need to go somewhere in the afternoon, roads flooded, does a cab come?
Routine shopping trip suddenly turns into a movie date or a disc crawl, bump into friends and plans are hatched.. cabbie is going to understand and adjust? or hope and pray to find cabs for all these plans?

These are only a few of the scenarios where a car is unbeatable.. IMO for some of us folks who have a little clock or calendar controlling every waking moment, a cab is a good idea, however for the others who live life impromptu, one needs his/her personal ride to accommodate his/her choices.
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote