Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 31st July 2015, 12:20   #91
Distinguished - BHPian
Default Re: Economics of car ownership in light of the new services (Uber, Ola, Zoom)

Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Is there a cheaper and equally comfortable and efficient alternative in today's world? If so, please point me to it.
Originally Posted by sun_king View Post
In a well defined limited scenario, you would be right. Broaden it, include more variables like a 300+ km drive, a detour to pick up a relative, an unscheduled stop at a diner, an unplanned stay at a friends house overnight. The operational cost delta between the taxi and the own vehicle would change substantially. You cannot really put a price on flexibility (read freedom).
I don't think shankar's post indicated Uber/Cab to be a replacement for the personal vehicle. I think the point is that for many scenarios/use cases the Uber's and Ola's are a better choice as compared to self drive.

Ultimately it is a mix and match, it is good to have all these alternatives so that once can chose on what works best for him/her at that day/time.

One combination that I found works for me is to take an Uber to office in the morning and take a BMTC Volvo back home in the evening (Cannot take a Volvo in the morning because of the walking time involved, crowded buses and unpredictable timings). But it works well in the evening for the time I leave.
Rajeevraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2015, 22:17   #92
Question Metros : does it make more sense to hire a cab from Uber or Ola than own a car?

Came across this article in Economic Times the other day. Frankly, given the pain of commute through heavily congested roads, battling fellow commuters with utter lack of road sense and scant regard for traffic rules, next to nil parking facilities, the associated maintenance, insurance etc, some of what is written in the article may be logical, though to the petrolheads, it may come across as balderdash! All the same, even though it may be a one sided point of view, it makes for interesting reading.

Name:  Infographic.jpg
Views: 2317
Size:  132.3 KB

Cheers !

(Image and article courtesy Economic Times )

Last edited by Ironhide : 8th August 2015 at 22:25.
Ironhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2015, 22:28   #93

Hiring and owning both has got its plus and minuses. Even in metros. So I think both will continue to exist. Yes, the new found comfort of hiring cabs in metros might trigger interesting thoughts but I don't think this can be termed as a trend.
pgupta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote