Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 31st July 2015, 12:20   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Economics of car ownership in light of the new services (Uber, Ola, Zoom)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Is there a cheaper and equally comfortable and efficient alternative in today's world? If so, please point me to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun_king View Post
In a well defined limited scenario, you would be right. Broaden it, include more variables like a 300+ km drive, a detour to pick up a relative, an unscheduled stop at a diner, an unplanned stay at a friends house overnight. The operational cost delta between the taxi and the own vehicle would change substantially. You cannot really put a price on flexibility (read freedom).
I don't think shankar's post indicated Uber/Cab to be a replacement for the personal vehicle. I think the point is that for many scenarios/use cases the Uber's and Ola's are a better choice as compared to self drive.

Ultimately it is a mix and match, it is good to have all these alternatives so that once can chose on what works best for him/her at that day/time.

One combination that I found works for me is to take an Uber to office in the morning and take a BMTC Volvo back home in the evening (Cannot take a Volvo in the morning because of the walking time involved, crowded buses and unpredictable timings). But it works well in the evening for the time I leave.
Rajeevraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2015, 22:17   #92
BHPian

Question Metros : does it make more sense to hire a cab from Uber or Ola than own a car?

Came across this article in Economic Times the other day. Frankly, given the pain of commute through heavily congested roads, battling fellow commuters with utter lack of road sense and scant regard for traffic rules, next to nil parking facilities, the associated maintenance, insurance etc, some of what is written in the article may be logical, though to the petrolheads, it may come across as balderdash! All the same, even though it may be a one sided point of view, it makes for interesting reading.

Name:  Infographic.jpg
Views: 2940
Size:  132.3 KB

Cheers !

(Image and article courtesy Economic Times )

Last edited by Ironhide : 8th August 2015 at 22:25.
Ironhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2015, 22:28   #93
BHPian

Hiring and owning both has got its plus and minuses. Even in metros. So I think both will continue to exist. Yes, the new found comfort of hiring cabs in metros might trigger interesting thoughts but I don't think this can be termed as a trend.
pgupta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 19:30   #94
BANNED

Default Re: Economics of car ownership in light of the new services (Uber, Ola, Zoom)

Uber and Ola has been quietly increasing the fares now that they have the market penetration. Maybe it is time to do the hire vs own math again. Even if it still tilts towards hiring soon it might tilt the other way.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/55364437.cms
blacksport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2017, 16:03   #95
BHPian

Default Don't buy cars for personal use

Disclaimer: I may not follow what I preach!

(Request: Don't search me to kill me, for that I've modified my profile to hide from where I'm.)

Guys & Gals

(I wonder how many ladies are there in this forum! If there is a sizable number then I should instead address Dear Gals & Guys..)

Can you come up for a public cause?

No, I'm not going to ask for a donation. Or to request you to quit smoking (in Taxis), or, don't drink and drive or vice-versa! It is:

Don't buy personal cars!

Out of so many advantages (to you, and most appropriately to the society) the first & foremost is: this idea has huge potential to increase employment manyfold!

If instead taxi operators buy the same, this will improve employment (more drivers needed, more software personal to operate and maintain the online platforms, and cost of using a car would also be comparable, or may be much less based on what car you buy.

It is also more economical. We stick to the "Kitna deti hai" mindset, which is the fuel cost only. In fact the fixed cost of ownership is much more. If you buy a Rs 10 lakh car then average cost of ownership for 8 years would be as below (pls don't start scratching your head):

- May be Rs 600/day, irrespective of you run your car or keep in your parking (and there is a garage rental (deemed or actual) also!)

- May be Rs 11/km if you run it 20k km a year or would be around double at Rs 22/km if you run 10k km only..

(Note: for businessmen taking depreciation benefits, this number may be less..but not much less, say at Rs 9/km for 20k/year running, and so on!)

An indicative calculation may be supplied if someone desires!

So financial head-breaking ends here, and now comes the big intangible benefits (well benefits related to sustainability is taken care by Mr Nitin Gadkari though!)

* Rent a car with driver and relax..able to enjoy more post ride because of less fatigue!

* For enthusiasts, rent a self drive car..everytime a new car, Nano to Porsche all available..

* No tension of garages, parking, theft etc..

* Lie flat in highly subsidised Indian Railway or save your precious time flying from one place to another.

Many more points..but let's stop..have you started hunting for me??

And, it is not only me who is asking you not to buy..

Here comes Mr Nitin Gadkari, the Road Transport Minister who wants this..

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...w/60417010.cms

The minister says less cars will help reduce pollution, and save him from adding extra lane on highway! You know it is very costly (but it is made from our money only, right!)

Now let me change gear..to win few friends also (and I mean it)

Mind it dear readers, the index of number of car per capita in India is one of the lowest amongst developing and developed nations (may be proudly occupying somewhere 100th position, see how less polluting we are..)

So next day some one at higher place may desire people not to marry to control population (in fact marriage is not linked to this always..and so buying car is not always related to ...)

There is a cost involved in marrying and growing children..

We have already n numbers of deterrents in the way to buy an automobile:

* Mad tax rates..ever increasing (today is 8th Sept and tomorrow on 9th there is another GST council meeting planned to do further damage!). Looks it's a sin to earn more and to long for to spend your earning..

* Bad and unpredictable roads

* Worst traffic management and very high number of accidents increasing everyone's probability..

...stop that!

So what will you do...(well try to find me and..)

Wait for EV..become a wise person and don't buy (in stead donate that money to poor...like me)

Crap...go, dream, plan and buy! Live your life

(..to be continued!)

Last edited by kbishwa : 8th September 2017 at 16:53. Reason: Final editing
kbishwa is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2017, 10:27   #96
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Don't buy cars for personal use

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbishwa View Post
An indicative calculation may be supplied if someone desires!
Thanks for sharing, Kbishwa! Merging your thread with an existing one that touches upon the topic.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote