Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 11th July 2015, 08:16   #16
BHPian

Two ways to look at the pricing. In 2010, when I bought my Superb, it cost Rs. 22 l or USD 50k. That same USD price would be Rs. 32 l today. So then price rise is not surprising from that metric. The other option is to look at the cost inflation index which was 632 in 2009-10 and was 1024 in 2014-15. So adjusting for that, the price should be Rs. 35.6 l.

Same applies to other cars as well - prices have actually risen slower than inflation.
Hayek is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 10:32   #17
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Scoop! Third-gen Skoda Superb spotted testing in India EDIT: Launched at Rs. 22.68 lakhs!

Great news! The new Superb is a superb car without doubt!

I am guessing the car will be launched the way it is in the pictures since there is no camoflauging but those alloy's are super lame. And the car looks severely under tyred. If I bought the new Superb I would have the alloys of the show car seen in the last picture. Yes, I know it's low profile tyres and all the problems with driving in India on those tyres but to hell with practicalities.
Old 11th July 2015, 13:37   #18
BHPian

Default re: Scoop! Third-gen Skoda Superb spotted testing in India EDIT: Launched at Rs. 22.68 lakhs!

Here are some more , which I captured while filling petrol at the petrol pump in Aurangabad yesterday.

Name:  picture.jpg
Views: 3374
Size:  44.9 KB

Name:  image2.jpeg
Views: 3374
Size:  42.1 KB

Last edited by .anshuman : 11th July 2015 at 14:59. Reason: Inserted Pics inline. Thanks
quattroa4 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 13:55   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
The Superb beats the current gen Merc E Class hands down and still costs half of it (almost). You could say the Skodas are unreliable but so are the Mercs. (Thread to prove the same: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...n-cars-33.html (PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!))
I have no doubt that the Superb is an excellent car, and that Skoda is an amazing brand. But, it doesn't come close to beating the E class. Yes, it has more features and technology. But, the finesse, and the luxury the trio provide is way higher than Skoda can.
Old 11th July 2015, 14:11   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroa4 View Post
Here are some more , which I captured while filling petrol at the petrol pump in Aurangabad yesterday.
Now, the alloys on that Superb looks better than the bland 5 spoke ones.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 15:02   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakhar1998 View Post
I have no doubt that the Superb is an excellent car, and that Skoda is an amazing brand. But, it doesn't come close to beating the E class. Yes, it has more features and technology. But, the finesse, and the luxury the trio provide is way higher than Skoda can.
Skoda is not an amazing brand, but take a good drive and you may be surprised enough to change your outlook on the other comments you have made.

For starters, travel on the rear seat of a Superb - you will begin to hate the E-class rear seat.
Steeroid is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 18:18   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Skoda is not an amazing brand, but take a good drive and you may be surprised enough to change your outlook on the other comments you have made.

For starters, travel on the rear seat of a Superb - you will begin to hate the E-class rear seat.
Hate is too strong a term. We have a Superb in the family and I've travelled extensively in it. Yes, it trumps the E in space, but thats about it. The noise insulation is nowhere close to the E, the seats are nowhere near as supportive and plush as the E and well the ride of the E is leagues ahead. I commend Skoda for the bang for the buck it provides, but it can't (for its price point) provide the experience offered by brands like Mercedes.

I own 2 Skoda's and have been associated with the brand since the past 8 years. My experience has been nothing less than amazing. Never had any issues, and all problems were sorted professionally. In fact, goodwill repairs are conducted much more often in comparison to some other companies. For instance, the compressor on my Laura went kaput after 3 years, and they did a goodwill replacement worth 90K.
prakhar1998 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 20:08   #23
BHPian

The Big 3 German brands do have their class leading products. That is there. But unlike earlier times when the difference between their cars and the rest, say for example VAG cars below the Audi brand, was like night and day, now it is not so. If you take anything, just about anything other than the badge, be it performance, build quality, design, technology, the rest does not fall far behind. Infact its so close that sometimes the much higher premium paid for the other trio starts to make less sense. Its just that the trio kinda comes out with newer technologies a bit earlier. But as soon as the next generations of brands like VW/Skoda come out, they do raise the bar to pretty much the same level as set by the bigger brands. My cousin who drove an E class which was a generation older than the Octavia he bought, he started driving the Octavia more and kinda lost interest in his just a generation older E. The competition is pretty tight and close. The price you pay is almost mainly for the badge. R&D and technological advancements are all almost matched by the lesser brands too. The premium feel felt is just marginal while the premium paid is not at all marginal.
ajaypjayaraj is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 20:24   #24
BHPian

I have been observing the new generation Octavias closely, and almost all of them have sharp dents in the sides and back, much like you see in a smaller Japanese/Korean cars like Honda Amaze and Hyundai Eon. Whereas I never see these types of dents in the previous generation Lauras. I hope Skoda has not started using thinner metal in the name of weight reduction, taking away the feel of sturdiness it was once famous for, especially in the new superb.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 11th July 2015 at 20:26.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 22:26   #25
BHPian

Looks good to be a garage mate for that upcoming new Fortuner

But remember the Octavia (current) launch: Skoda testing the car in a bright red shade all over the country, we drooling over it, many many months passing by without an actual launch, and finally a year long waiting period after the launch.

I sincerely hope and wish Skoda actually launch this car by this Diwali or 2016 Auto Expo.
Yeldo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2015, 03:19   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakhar1998 View Post
The noise insulation is nowhere close to the E, the seats are nowhere near as supportive and plush as the E and well the ride of the E is leagues ahead.
We seem to have different experiences with the same vehicles, then - I would've agreed if you were speaking of the S class. Let us agree to disagree.

Last edited by Steeroid : 12th July 2015 at 03:21.
Old 12th July 2015, 06:06   #27
Senior - BHPian

http://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/s...sg/first-drive

A nice link with some interesting information. Skoda really seems to be moving well up the value chain, at least in the European markets.
Old 12th July 2015, 08:12   #28
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distant Second View Post
Always liked the Superb, for the value it offered initially at around 21 lakhs. However the face-lift saw some features vanishing and prices going up. 30 lakhs sounds a bit too much

I agree. Skoda seriously needs to upgrade alloys across all variants

Also, in the pics it looks wider than the outgoing model. I always though the current one was slightly cramped due to its width.
+

I agree entirely. Perhaps I have some stubborn-old-goat blood in me, but I am firmly in the : (25+lacs=at least RWD/AWD) : corner of the ring.

L=4.83 m
W.B= 2.76 m
G.C. =159mm(on our Indian roads !)
Kerb wt = ~ 1500 - 1700 kg ??

Which (savvy+well-heeled) car lover/enthusiast will opt to shell out this kind of money for a FWD wannabe with the above outrageous specs?

With the above specs, tell me which genuine & savvy car lover on the wrong

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 12th July 2015 at 12:04. Reason: Removing unwanted spacing = hampers readability.
Old 12th July 2015, 09:58   #29
BHPian

Great scoop.

I have always been a fan of Skoda and the recent family look has got me drooling even more. The earlier Superb looked too long and out of proportions, but the new one is a stunner. More than the Superb, I am eagerly waiting for Skoda to bring the similar faced Rapid to India. I think it might be the best looking C segment sedan. Wont that create a stir!
drive2eternity is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2015, 10:33   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
I am eagerly waiting for Skoda to bring the similar faced Rapid to India.

That Rapid is a stunner. Skoda India was really dumb to continue the Fabia face onto the rapid, especially when they have a stunning Rapid in other markets. Add to that the fate of Fabia in India, they should not have done it. By the time they get it to India (if at all they do), it will be too late. VW, please release the brakes on Skoda India. You are killing a brand.
Closed Thread