Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 17th July 2015, 08:40   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Scoop: Force Gurkha BS-IV spotted testing at Khardung La

Wonder what is Force thinking ? BS-4 at a time when BS-6 is being talked about, giving BS-5 a go-by..
condor is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2015, 15:17   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
There was none of that cheap jugaad feel one gets when we see a Thar. It looked purposeful and built to tackle the rough and tough with élan.
You need to drive it first and then form an opinion. If think Thar is Jugad, check out the interiors of this one.
4x4addict is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2015, 14:55   #18
BHPian

Show the headline on FB. Gurkha with 2.2 FMtech will be true performer.Some of the quick facts about power/weight & torque/weight with competitor and above competitor.

Force Gurkha with 2.2FMtech
Power to Weight ratio = 70.85 PS/tonne
Torque to Weight ratio = 161.31 NM/tonne

Mahindra Thar Crde
Power to Weight ratio = 60.85 PS/tonne
Torque to Weight ratio = 141.14 NM/tonne

Maruti Gypsy HT 4x4
Power to Weight ratio = 79.54 PS/tonne
Torque to Weight ratio = 100.98 NM/tonne

Tata Safari Storme VX 4x4 2015
Power to Weight ratio = 71.60 PS/tonne
Torque to Weight ratio = 152.74 NM/tonne

Toyota Fortuner 4x4
Power to Weight ratio = 86.60 PS/tonne
Torque to Weight ratio = 174.11 NM/tonne
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop: Force Gurkha BS-IV spotted testing at Khardung La-11846599_10153476516324976_6804039963320129169_n.jpg  

Nilay is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2015, 19:35   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Can you be a little specific? we don't need Einstein to tell us what power to weight is. We would like to know which century force will launch this vehicle..
4x4addict is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2015, 12:51   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Default 0M611 2.2 Gurkha

There is a news snipet in Autocar India about Gurkha going to be launched later this year with the 2.2 OM611 CRDe engine.
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...er-397011.aspx

The above article claims that the current Gurkha comes with the OM616 engine. This is not true. The OM616 engine made 90bhp in the Judo with turbo charged, IDI form. It was a high revving, 2.4 liter engine. The current DI engine in the Gurkha is 2.6 but despite the fact that it is a DI unit makes only 80 bhp !!

In my opinion, giving the 2.2 option will address one of the Major flaws of the vehicle, which is the severely under powered engine. However, they need to put a little bit of effort into the steering and handling also. At a minimum, they should use the Thar CRDe as a benchmark for ergonomics and handling.

Many of you will laugh at the statement, given that the CRDe is not exactly a benchmark, but you should drive the Gurkha and Thar CRDe back to back to undestand what I am talking about. Drive the Gurkha first and then the Thar CRDe..
4x4addict is online now   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2015, 12:56   #21
BHPian

hmm....Little more specific here. There will be dealer launch in set-oct where dealers from all over india will be invited. By this year end they will be done with testing & feedback from dealer. One can expect latest by 2016 1st quarter.
BTW
Enjoy this pics - courtesy Gurpreet Singh
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop: Force Gurkha BS-IV spotted testing at Khardung La-11822574_10153479596629976_5988606925026814380_n.jpg  

Scoop: Force Gurkha BS-IV spotted testing at Khardung La-11863206_10153479596744976_4555766938312860523_n.jpg  

Nilay is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2015, 14:26   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: 0M611 2.2 Gurkha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Many of you will laugh at the statement, given that the CRDe is not exactly a benchmark, but you should drive the Gurkha and Thar CRDe back to back to undestand what I am talking about. Drive the Gurkha first and then the Thar CRDe..
Absolutely true, two months back we drove the Gurkha quite extensively and after that my Thar was feeling like a smooth sedan
BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2015, 20:19   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Frankly, this vehicle has potential. I only wish these guys luck. I have never seen a company struggle for so long and *test* get *feedbacl* fail miserably and go back and repeat this cycle for so many years..

Is it a rocket ship to wait for 2 years from the original failure to launch? Is it powered by a solid fuel Kaveri engine used in the GSLV?
4x4addict is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2015, 21:36   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilay View Post
hmm....Little more specific here. There will be dealer launch in set-oct where dealers from all over india will be invited. By this year end they will be done with testing & feedback from dealer. One can expect latest by 2016 1st quarter.
Thank you for the information. However the question is whether the market will wait any further for the vehicle - its not a breakthrough vehicle or a brand new design, and has been around for a couple of decades at least. 3 decades if one considers the original Trax SWB with the OM616.

For a vehicle that is already in the antique category (and now also in the practical jokes category with that ridiculous plastic face) what is the motivation for someone to wait forever for a company to sort out the fairly simple issues like ergonomics and provide acceptable levels of refinement?

Their last "launch" with the 85ps 2,650 cc engine (whatever its called) was a non-event, a vehicle that existed only on internet forums and YouTube videos, not on the road and definitely not in their showrooms.

IMHO 'looking forward' to the next launch, even if it comes with the rocket engine Tini mentioned, is foolhardy. The company and the product are wrong on so many levels, they might as well save their money and not bother launching this thing at all.
Steeroid is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2015, 23:46   #25
BHPian

What is the thing with Force? They ruined what could have been a great off-roader - which is also distant family of the legendary G-Wagen - by that horrible front design, distinctly truck-like interiors, and agricultural motor. And the last two can still be excused in a hardcore off-road vehicle, but the terrible plastic grille, as mentioned by steeroid (what on earth made them do that :banghead: ), the "4X4X4 E.O.V." branding, and the overall hilarious market image simply cannot. Surely not with a Mahindra Thar for competition.
And they're only now planning to include what should have been in the Gurkha right at launch time. And no sign of better design, or interiors. And it still has a long way to go to be launched. Great. What's more surprising is, despite such an attitude with their products, they manage some pretty astounding growth (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/166751-whats-up-force-motors-share-price-up-5-times-year.html) otherwise.
Anyways, the Gurkha seems to have gotten no better really. It still looks like a Tempo Trax in a clown's suit, when it could have as well looked like a G-Wagen. Also the dashboard, and those seats. And that unbearable "4X4X4" decal on the back. And now even fewer than the already very few earlier, would want one.
Apparently, the only real success they have managed to achieve with it is the RFC!!

Last edited by mukul32 : 22nd August 2015 at 23:50.
mukul32 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2015, 09:51   #26
BHPian

It is so unfortunate that "Force" is still lagging behind despite they had technical collaboration with Merc..!

Moreover, wondering what they learned from association from other giants - "MAN", "BMW". Of course these associations were only for reproducing their well engineered products, however IMO, they could have learned many good practices.

Wish best of luck to "Force" and "Gurkha"
sujithpnair is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2015, 12:04   #27
BHPian

My two cents - Why cant force come up with something that will sell? How many gurkhas have I seen in my town? Only one! How many Thar's? Lost count. There is something in the Gurkha that does not appeal to its users. Other than the long waiting and pathetic service, They have to resolve this first.

Other than that - I recon that force has hired designers from Mahindra to design something this hideous. I mean - who would come up with 4x4x4 ? Is this some kind joke they are trying to pull? The whole meaning of a 4x4 is lost here. There is an auto rickshaw in town that says 3x3 - Obvious to the fact that the auto guy is being sarcastic. But this coming from a company is not something I would expect.

Force calls it Gurkha 4x4x4 - 4 Wheel drive, 4 Terrains and 4 Seasons. (Please - someone get me a drink!!!)

And Suppose someone buys this and another curious person ask's him to explain what this 4x4x4 is? Best of luck to explaining that.

The Thar clicked because it was based on the platform of the hit 540. Mahindra was banking on it, It was a sure shot win for them hands down before even it was launched.

Here is what happened at a recent off roading event that was held just 2 weeks back at Belthangady (Mangalore). Where Force was one of the sponsor for this event.

The Gurkas were lined up at the event at the start point as display vehicles. I could not see a single person interested in this vehicle. No one even bothered to take notice of it or even ventured near it. The SA who was supposed to answer people's queries was sitting idle. This was the response for this 4x4x4 with almost close to 150 people in the vicinity and all off road enthusiast's. People would have loved it if a beefed up Gurkha that was used at the RFC was on display.

What force could have done was - Get the vehicle on track and make people witness what it was capable of - Diff lock's etc. But i am sure they were worried that it would break those beautiful plastic cladding that its surrounded by (Being Sarcastic). The future looks really bleak.

All the best Force. May the Force be with you.

Last edited by yamaniac : 24th August 2015 at 12:29.
yamaniac is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2015, 12:32   #28
Senior - BHPian

We can discuss until kingdom come, but I doubt if Force is really interested in what we have to say.

I don't think this vehicle being tested is aimed at the consumer market at all - they're probably aiming at bulk military sales and will be laughing at all the comments here by us consumers who think it is intended for private use.

Force is a contract manufacturer and fleet/bulk seller. Its all about the bulk business, they care two hoots about what you and I want.

Forget them.

Last edited by Steeroid : 24th August 2015 at 12:36.
Steeroid is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2015, 13:07   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
We can discuss until kingdom come, but I doubt if Force is really interested in what we have to say.

I don't think this vehicle being tested is aimed at the consumer market at all - they're probably aiming at bulk military sales and will be laughing at all the comments here by us consumers who think it is intended for private use.

Force is a contract manufacturer and fleet/bulk seller. Its all about the bulk business, they care two hoots about what you and I want.

Forget them.
Even for the Army, this is a pathetic waste of tax payers money.
AJITHAAA is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2015, 10:04   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJITHAAA View Post
Even for the Army, this is a pathetic waste of tax payers money.
Couldn't agree more. Rather than this ugly duckling, the army should ask Mahindra for special orders of the MM540. Jeepers could never be happier. After their stints in the army, the 540's could be sold off for seriously good money. Jeepers would only lap them up with joy. And the 540 because Thar is expensive and the older Jeeps should be easier to fix.
mukul32 is offline   Reply With Quote