Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2015, 01:05   #31
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: rishikesh
Posts: 4
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Scoop: Force Gurkha BS-IV spotted testing at Khardung La

I had always wanted a vehicle for off-roading. The only vehicle that came to my mind was mahindra thar. I took a few test rides. It was nice. I felt very macho but something prevented me from buying it. I started to research. After two years of research I finally bought the Gurkha.
I must say its a nasty vehicle when you compare it with others in terms of service and annoyance quotient. I had to take it to the service centre ( the service guys are a piece of work) just two days after I bought it. It was embarrassing. But there was something about the vehicle I loved. It was just instinctive. It was like you get married to the girl you fell in love with and she turns out to be a nagging wife but she is so great in bed that you don't care bout the nagging.
I am driving Gurkha for the past 6 months. It performs exceptionally well on road as well as off-road. Driving long distances on road is great mainly for two reasons: Gurkha does not have the slightest roll even at high speeds (I have touched 140kmph) and it does not give me a backache (because of the seating & steering wheel position). Off roading capabilities are exceptional for an under 10 lac vehicle (a tyre change from stock HT to AT is needed, ₹50,000). The ability to crawl on an incline without pressing the accelerator or clutch is exemplary. Almost zero electronics is a life saver. Manual differential locks completes it as an affordable and very capable off-roader.
Mahindra Thar is stylish. It appeals to the crowd as it looks like 'the jeep'. It has loads of jazzy stuff (a plastic winch bumper) and a decent mileage. Above all its BS IV. It's a great vehicle for the urban and happening crowd but if you really need to off-road in a stock vehicle, it's Force Gurkha.
P.S. Never buy the Gurkha if you just intend to go shopping(the nagging will seem too much to handle &#128521
mrinalbarua is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2015, 07:43   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
predatorwheelz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Delhi/Kolkata
Posts: 1,653
Thanked: 1,103 Times
Default Re: Scoop: Force Gurkha BS-IV spotted testing at Khardung La

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrinalbarua View Post
I started to research. After two years of research I finally bought the Gurkha.

I am driving Gurkha for the past 6 months. It performs exceptionally well on road as well as off-road.
Itihaas gawah hai, that any mention of the Gurkha's capabilities has incited very strong opinions on this forum. It is a vehicle all of us love to hate, yet cannot ignore. Truly the Rakhi Sawant of this forum. So for the chance to become famous through being infamous, and (on a serious note) to give us an insight into living with the new Gurkha and its pros and cons, please start a long term ownership thread on team bhp. Trust me, some of us are planning to procure a Gurkha for many years, but holding back on apprehensions of mechanical niggles and service support.
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2015, 23:47   #33
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: rishikesh
Posts: 4
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Scoop: Force Gurkha BS-IV spotted testing at Khardung La

Gurkha is not meant for people 'in a hurry'. The most important virtue in a person must have to own a Gurkha is - patience. Time is something you always must have otherwise you will never be able to establish a relationship with the vehicle. It's a love hate relationship.
If you are a ' pros and cons' type of person then you must defer buying a Gurkha. My wife hates it. So do my in-laws and parents. It's quite a struggle to follow your passions. I will try to start a thread on Gurkha. For now I must say your apprehensions are absolutely right but again that is highly subjective. You have to share space with the commercial vehicles in the service centre. It's like going for treatment in a government hospital. There are many issues with the quality of material used but can be fixed. Once you live through the honeymoon period (pun intended), Gurkha is just awesome. Doesn't let you down.
mrinalbarua is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2015, 10:33   #34
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: valsad
Posts: 76
Thanked: 129 Times
Default Re: Scoop: Force Gurkha BS-IV spotted testing at Khardung La

And finally force motor is ready with this OM616 derived CRDi engine called as "FM 2.6 CR"
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop: Force Gurkha BS-IV spotted testing at Khardung La-12401697_10153808978389723_5465764018247338059_o.jpg  

Attached Images
 
Nilay is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2015, 00:09   #35
Distinguished - BHPian
 
4x4addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,975
Thanked: 2,497 Times
Default Re: Scoop: Force Gurkha BS-IV spotted testing at Khardung La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilay View Post
And finally force motor is ready with this OM616 derived CRDi engine called as "FM 2.6 CR"
Any idea of the bhp/torque numbers? The current Gurkha is severly underpowered for it's wight. As the owner posted in the previous post, you need lots of *patience* to own one and the owner shouldn't be in a hurry to get anywhere .
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2016, 15:01   #36
BHPian
 
rhandle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 554
Thanked: 107 Times
Default Re: Scoop: Force Gurkha BS-IV spotted testing at Khardung La

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrinalbarua View Post
I had always wanted a vehicle for off-roading. The only vehicle that came to my mind was mahindra thar. I took a few test rides. It was nice. I felt very macho but something prevented me from buying it. I started to research. After two years of research I finally bought the Gurkha.
I must say its a nasty vehicle when you compare it with others in terms of service and annoyance quotient. I had to take it to the service centre ( the service guys are a piece of work) just two days after I bought it. It was embarrassing. But there was something about the vehicle I loved. It was just instinctive. It was like you get married to the girl you fell in love with and she turns out to be a nagging wife but she is so great in bed that you don't care bout the nagging.
I am driving Gurkha for the past 6 months. It performs exceptionally well on road as well as off-road. Driving long distances on road is great mainly for two reasons: Gurkha does not have the slightest roll even at high speeds (I have touched 140kmph) and it does not give me a backache (because of the seating & steering wheel position). Off roading capabilities are exceptional for an under 10 lac vehicle (a tyre change from stock HT to AT is needed, ₹50,000). The ability to crawl on an incline without pressing the accelerator or clutch is exemplary. Almost zero electronics is a life saver. Manual differential locks completes it as an affordable and very capable off-roader.
Mahindra Thar is stylish. It appeals to the crowd as it looks like 'the jeep'. It has loads of jazzy stuff (a plastic winch bumper) and a decent mileage. Above all its BS IV. It's a great vehicle for the urban and happening crowd but if you really need to off-road in a stock vehicle, it's Force Gurkha.
P.S. Never buy the Gurkha if you just intend to go shopping(the nagging will seem too much to handle &#128521
Gurkha yes is a vehicle to enjoy. Did not like the great in bed wife comment. I would rather have a keep instead of a nagging wife if only bed is the concern

Gurkha has lot of sensors and that means electronic. Even your accelerator pedal is sensor based. Be careful.

Ergonomics is outstanding. Seating, gear lever positions and 4x4 lever positions, besides overall outside view cannot be matched by any other vehicle.
Try changing 4x4 of Thar with your seat belt on you will understand what I am saying.

Crawl - I also used to think it's only present in Gurkha but as experience and vehicles I purchased increased I realise it with everyone - with similar engines. Any Di Mahindra would crawl - and so does the fortuner.

Diff locks :- yes worth it's weight in Gold for Gurkha as it lacks in articulation. Until unless a obstacle has been designed just for show off of Diff locks most of the jeeps would clear the obstacles. As seen in various OTR that a Jeep because of its articulation will clear the obstacle but Gurkha will struggle till you push on the magic wands with "Differential Lock" written on them.

Make sure you take plenty of care of the metal body - metal body actually decays. Take care of greasing all points after every OTR especially if you have played in water.

The shoddy workmanship and poor service team with least knowledge may give you he ache but do not worry. You got a good buy.


PS: Last time I went to buy an umbrella the shopkeeper gave me a life time warranty if I promise not to use it in rain, sun and wind.
rhandle is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2016, 18:19   #37
Senior - BHPian
 
1100D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 4,179
Thanked: 2,360 Times
Default Re: Scoop: Force Gurkha BS-IV spotted testing at Khardung La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilay View Post
And finally force motor is ready with this OM616 derived CRDi engine called as "FM 2.6 CR"
This is not what we were waiting for, the teaser clearly mentioned 2.2FMTech derived from OM611 and not the beaten to death OM616.
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2016, 08:53   #38
BHPian
 
timuseravan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Pune
Posts: 285
Thanked: 317 Times
Default Re: Scoop: Force Gurkha BS-IV spotted testing at Khardung La

Quote:
The Force Gurkha will be launched with a 2.2-litre, four cylinder diesel engine from its stablemate, the Force One in a few months. The new engine option, that produces 141PS at 3,800rpm and 321Nm between 1.600rpm to 2,400rpm is being introduced since it is BS-IV compliant, which will enable Force Motors to sell the SUV in metros across the country. It will however be retuned considering the low-end torque that off-road vehicles like the Gurkha need in abundance. This engine is based on the Mercedes OM611 common rail diesel engine.
Source: http://overdrive.in/news/force-gurkh...soon-in-india/
timuseravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2016, 09:31   #39
Distinguished - BHPian
 
BlackPearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 2,311
Thanked: 4,387 Times
Default Re: Scoop: Force Gurkha BS-IV spotted testing at Khardung La

I got a call from the local Force Motors dealer saying that FM will be launching a 5 door version of Gurkha in July. They did not mention the year though. Also took my email id and forwarded a horrible promo clip of the upcoming movie Sultan where a Gurkha makes a guest appearance
BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2016, 10:47   #40
BHPian
 
007 Bond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 239
Thanked: 108 Times
Default Re: Scoop: Force Gurkha BS-IV spotted testing at Khardung La

Indeed a new gurkha would be launched.
It will get engines 2.2 & 2.6 both are BS4.
Chassis is completely knew, moved from tubular to C in C chassis. borrowed from Force One.
Interiors may also change may have a new dashboard, i will confirm the same.
007 Bond is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2016, 16:47   #41
Distinguished - BHPian
 
4x4addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,975
Thanked: 2,497 Times
Default Re: Scoop: Force Gurkha BS-IV spotted testing at Khardung La

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 Bond View Post
Indeed a new gurkha would be launched.
It will get engines 2.2 & 2.6 both are BS4.
My unborn grandchild maybe happy to hear this news so that he/she can buy one for their kid


Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 Bond View Post
Chassis is completely knew, moved from tubular to C in C chassis. borrowed from Force One.
The Gurkha fanatics (wonder if any are still around) will be seriously disappointed on this one. The tubular chassis is supposed to be the strength of this vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 Bond View Post
Interiors may also change may have a new dashboard, i will confirm the same.
Jokes apart, this is really good news. There is a huge void in the recreational 4x4 market. Besides the Thar and Bolero 4x4 there are no options. If Force makes an effort I think they will succeed. I may be there more ferocious and vocal critic but I am few on the forum who actually booked a Gurkha (The pre-pushup-bra edition) paid extra to have it sent by lorry to the dealership and sold it at the dealer lot itself since I was so appalled by the vehicle. But if Force were to make a good product, there will be one in my garage 100%.

I also salute your patience dear Bond. Good speed 007 do not loose faith despite my banter.
4x4addict is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2016, 17:51   #42
BHPian
 
007 Bond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 239
Thanked: 108 Times
Default Re: Scoop: Force Gurkha BS-IV spotted testing at Khardung La

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
My unborn grandchild maybe happy to hear this news so that he/she can buy one for their kid



The Gurkha fanatics (wonder if any are still around) will be seriously disappointed on this one. The tubular chassis is supposed to be the strength of this vehicle.



Jokes apart, this is really good news. There is a huge void in the recreational 4x4 market. Besides the Thar and Bolero 4x4 there are no options. If Force makes an effort I think they will succeed. I may be there more ferocious and vocal critic but I am few on the forum who actually booked a Gurkha (The pre-pushup-bra edition) paid extra to have it sent by lorry to the dealership and sold it at the dealer lot itself since I was so appalled by the vehicle. But if Force were to make a good product, there will be one in my garage 100%.

I also salute your patience dear Bond. Good speed 007 do not loose faith despite my banter.

hahaha.. never will i loose faith, nor will you. I also love your critics, alteast you are enjoying dream of your forefathers. They just dreamt you atleast got to see physically a Gurkha.

but year after after they have changed.
they launched three updated versions.

Gurkha 2014, 2015 & now 2016. which didn't happen for years together.

So lets see if they can fill the void. I think this time they will.
007 Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying a Force Gurkha!! Monster_BHP SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 87 15th July 2016 23:25
Scoop! VW Polo TSI spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Fresh Scoop pics on Pg.15 sarthakgupta The Indian Car Scene 441 25th April 2013 12:26
SCOOP Pics & Video - 2013 Force Gurkha satya180 The Indian Car Scene 62 16th February 2013 08:49
Red Bull F1 car goes sky high at Khardung La adg_andy Indian Motorsport 18 13th October 2011 15:36
Force Gurkha on sand! Monster_BHP 4x4 Excursions 48 5th September 2008 18:04


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:43.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks