Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 23rd July 2015, 16:07   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Scoop! XUV500 Petrol caught testing in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Drive View Post
I am sorry but I am not getting your point. You say that you prefer petrol but your math favours diesel on a five year ownership cost calculation. Are you trying to do the math on the total cost of ownership between petrol and diesel ? If that's the case, apart from the fuel prices and mileage, lot of other factors like varying fuel prices, maintenance, EMI plus interest if you opt for a loan, resale value and so on has to be considered. Refer this excellent informative thread (ARTICLE: The real cost of car ownership) to know the various factors to be considered for the total cost of ownership.
I didn't consider the total cost of ownership as there are many unknowns - varying fuel prices, maintenance, etc. Its a back-of-the-envelope calculation, just to drive the point home.

Please check the math again. It shows that the money spent on running the petrol vehicle will be less in all years, until it reaches 5. Only in the 5th year the total $ spent on running the petrol vehicle is going above the $ spent on running a diesel vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Drive View Post
As you will be aware, if your running is less, buying petrol vehicle will make sense and if it's more buying diesel would be apt.
Correct. When the usage is less, buying petrol vehicle makes sense. But there are only 2 manufacturers that offer petrol in the MUV space, and that is my point. There might be many like me in urban India who need a Petrol MUV, but don't have many options except Ertiga and Mobilio.
Old 23rd July 2015, 16:37   #32
Senior - BHPian

I hope Mahindra is only planning these for the export market. There is no market for a Petrol SUV in India, where the diesel one is available for a couple lakh more.

See the fate of the Petrol Duster sales. Heck, it was not even test driven in our very own Official review. And I remember some thread with a query on buying the Petrol Duster, to which the unanimous advice from the bhpians was - NO.

If a mini SUV cannot manage to sell in Petrol, cant imagine the giants like XUV and Scorpio selling much in India.
Old 23rd July 2015, 16:56   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
If a mini SUV cannot manage to sell in Petrol, cant imagine the giants like XUV and Scorpio selling much in India.
You can't say the same about Ecosport Petrol. Duster Petrol didn't sell much because of many other reasons (there is a 23 page thread comparing the petrol versions of Duster vs Ecosport, so don't want to go there).
Old 24th July 2015, 09:05   #34
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Ganesan K has an interesting comment to share - How come no one mentioned the possibility of an XUV500 (petrol) Hybrid?

Mahindra had already showcased the diesel hybrid at the Auto Expo 2014. Can't rule out a petrol hybrid.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th July 2015, 09:28   #35
BHPian

I think even if Mahindra decide to launch a Petrol XUV in India, they would do so with very realistic expectations. They rule 2 segments, with Bolero and the XUV and their Scorpio too sells well, so we can be sure Mahindra does very good market research. It could be primarily an export product which would also be available to Indian buyers, thereby increasing the variant choices available for XUV buyers.

Also, as GTO pointed out, it could be a Hybrid motor which in turn could negate the low mileage and higher running costs of a Petrol heavy weight SUV.

Another target audience could be people going for Corporate Lease, where the company gives a fixed budget and the diesel variant simply overshoots it. If I had to buy a car within 15 lacs, why not go for a petrol XUV. Even my fuel bills shall get reimbursed and I get to drive the XUV after all.

Last edited by drive2eternity : 24th July 2015 at 09:30.
Old 24th July 2015, 09:39   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

The target audience is exports as the original post says. e.g in Brazil where they recently exited, only 6/100 vehicles are diesel. I don't understand why everyone here is getting worked up about it - I would be surprised if it is even launched in India.

Mahindra may be no Maruti, but they certainly are no fools!!
Old 24th July 2015, 10:49   #37
BHPian

Just thinking from a different angle:

May be the 1.6 or whatever engine comes with a turbo-charger, compensating for the lack of low-end torque that everyone is talking about? That way it will have the advantage of a peppy plus fuel-efficient engine.

Anyways, I still doubt just looking at a sticker we should be jumping the gun

Last edited by SoumenD : 24th July 2015 at 10:51.
Old 24th July 2015, 13:19   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
Also, as GTO pointed out, it could be a Hybrid motor which in turn could negate the low mileage and higher running costs of a Petrol heavy weight SUV.
Would it be a heavy SUV with a petrol engine. If I were to hazard a guess then I would guess not. My feeling is Mahindra has really cut costs and weight on the XUV by using thin sheet metal in conjunction with plastic panels wherever possible. Now the only heavy item in this combination is the weight of the heavy diesel motor. If the engine is petrol then the the XUV wouldn't weigh that much in the first case.
Old 25th July 2015, 20:13   #39
BHPian

I remember XUV was going to release a hybrid engine. Do you guys think that the hybrid can come with a petrol heart together?
Old 27th July 2015, 11:29   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
I hope Mahindra is only planning these for the export market. There is no market for a Petrol SUV in India, where the diesel one is available for a couple lakh more.

See the fate of the Petrol Duster sales. Heck, it was not even test driven in our very own Official review. And I remember some thread with a query on buying the Petrol Duster, to which the unanimous advice from the bhpians was - NO.

I own a petrol duster and I am quite happy with my car. I have done 8.6K in 10 months and would do about 10-11K in a year. So for my kind of usage, the petrol version is a good option. I get pretty good mileage as well.
rohanak1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 12:54   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanak1 View Post
I own a petrol duster and I am quite happy with my car. I have done 8.6K in 10 months and would do about 10-11K in a year. So for my kind of usage, the petrol version is a good option. I get pretty good mileage as well.
Do you mind sharing the FE figures, since we have very less petrol Dusters on this forum ? Thanks
indivic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 14:02   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
Do you mind sharing the FE figures, since we have very less petrol Dusters on this forum ? Thanks
Currently the MID is showing FE of 11.9kmpl but the driving conditions have been generally good with A/C either switched off or not in coldest. Worst I have seen it fall to 7kmpl in heavy traffic from Gopalan mall to KR puram railway station. Bangalore to Pondicherry returned FE of 17.2kmpl. It reduced to 14.7 by the time I was back to Bangalore. This was again due to A/C used at coldest and doing high speeds. Generally in normal city traffic, mileage varies between 9-11kmpl which I do not think is a whole lot lesser than a diesel duster driven in the city. The best FE returned was 17.5kmpl on a drive to the airport with no a/c
rohanak1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 18:17   #43
BHPian

Looking at petrol option, I wonder if XUV 5OO would make into Gulf country. I've seen couple of old Generation Scorpio in Dubai.
Old 27th July 2015, 20:30   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanak1 View Post
I own a petrol duster and I am quite happy with my car. I have done 8.6K in 10 months and would do about 10-11K in a year.
Request you to pen down an ownership review. Might help a lot of people since you are the first I came across who owns a petrol Duster on this forum, plus there is also no official review of it.
vinit.merchant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2015, 13:54   #45
BHPian

I agree with the US/UK piece where petrol is preferred. One of our cars in the family is a 2005 automatic CRV (runs about 15 km a day, mostly driven by myself) and gives a princely mileage of slightly over 6. This was the type 2 model which model I see by scores on London roads. An internet search gave me the CRV in US being a fuel efficient car at 25 miles to a gallon! I am sure there are some of us who would like to at least consider a petrol XUV if it returns a mileage in petrol not too far away from 10, but with all 3 rows of seats intact.
Closed Thread