Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 24th July 2015, 21:06   #16
BHPian

It's Messi enough without the brand ambassador to say 'I told you so'
hubolt is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2015, 21:17   #17
Senior - BHPian

If this news is true, would Messi be seen promoting Tata cars or JLR?
StarrySky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2015, 23:59   #18

Default re: Tata Motors signs up Lionel Messi as brand ambassador. EDIT: Officially announced

I don't think roping in Messi as brand ambassador will be of great help for TML.
In last 5-10 years because of negative word of mouth marketing, the company has suffered too much, you ask any mechanic, instantly they will reply TATA cars take too much maintenance and in turn suggest to go for a Maruti Suzuki or Hyundai car.
The reason for the same might be:-
1. Bland design of TATA cars.
2. Engine options not as per the competition( the KAPPA series and K10 engines are much more technologically advanced)
3. There is always reliability issues with TATA products.
samoka91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2015, 00:24   #19
BHPian

Default re: Tata Motors signs up Lionel Messi as brand ambassador. EDIT: Officially announced

Err! Was this "introduction" really needed for Leo? I mean unless one has been living under a rock for last 2 decades, I am sure every one at least knows who Messi is!

However this is huge from TMIL, I am not sure if this is aimed at the indian market or maybe they are aiming a big foray into the south american market?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post

Lionel "Leo" Messi is a 28-year old footballer who plays for the Spanish club FC Barcelona and is also the captain of the Argentinian national team. He is widely considered as one of the best player in the game by fans and experts worldwide; and boasts of a long list of awards and accolades to his name.

Attachment 1394722

Last edited by Bhodrolok : 25th July 2015 at 00:29. Reason: adding more comments
Bhodrolok is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2015, 10:24   #20
BHPian

Tata should realise that Messi is no miracle worker.

If that was the case then Nestle would have already signed him up to sell maggi.
gaurav_3000ad is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2015, 11:03   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_3000ad View Post
Tata should realise that Messi is no miracle worker.

Anybody who has seen him play would disagree!

Problem for Tata is that his miracles are limited to when he has the ball at his feet.
chncar is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2015, 14:10   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Stupid move! The Zest and Bolt are pretty average cars by international standards so that rules out export markets, Messi or not, while their new age cars still arent exactly trouble free or quality benchmarks. Improve your products TML. How is Messi going to help?
Completely Agree !
I wish TATA would have put the same efforts & money on improving the A.S.S
LionX is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 14:25   #23
BHPian

With the kind of cars they have, they should have signed up Nana Patekar instead of Messi Imagine Nana promoting Nano
CarNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 14:31   #24
BHPian

LOL. Who really buys a product based on the person who endorses? After all, anybody will endorse anything for money - even Sachin Tendulkar, Shah Rukh endorse cold drinks!

Not to forget, Sachin also endorsed the FIAT Palio, Yuvaraj was in peak form (world cup winning) when he endorsed FIAT Punto.

People only care about the product and ownership experience. Nothing more.
opendro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 14:59   #25
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samoka91 View Post
In last 5-10 years because of negative word of mouth marketing, the company has suffered too much, you ask any mechanic, instantly they will reply TATA cars take too much maintenance and in turn suggest to go for a Maruti Suzuki or Hyundai car.
Wonder why though? If a mechanic gets good business from TATA would he not be kicking his own food plate by giving TATA -ve publicity? My mechanic has often said that it is easier to repair Maruti vehicles as things open up easily rather than in a TATA, but has not really selected a side on which is more reliable. Though I do myself feel that Maruti's are more reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
LOL. Who really buys a product based on the person who endorses? After all, anybody will endorse anything for money - even Sachin Tendulkar, Shah Rukh endorse cold drinks!

Not to forget, Sachin also endorsed the FIAT Palio, Yuvaraj was in peak form (world cup winning) when he endorsed FIAT Punto.

People only care about the product and ownership experience. Nothing more.
But then didn't the Palio sell quite well in the S10 days. Till they shot themselves in terms of spares and dealer network availability etc. With the Punto it possibly was already too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Tata Motors has been struggling in the Indian market and going by their monthly sales figures, the Zest and Bolt failed to create any significant impact for the company and so did the Nano AMT or the 2015 Safari Storme. In its pursuit of gaining acceptance in India as well as in global markets, the company is now rumored to have roped in Lionel Messi as brand ambassador!

Leo Messi will be a part of the Tata Kite launch, which isn't too far away. A formal announcement is expected in August or September, 2015. Some units of the Tata Kite have already been shipped to Spain for shooting ad campaigns.
But is Messi a big enough name in India for a masses vehicle like the Kite. India has always seemed to be more a Cricket nation vs Football. Yes football is globally a masses sport but in India it is a bit elite as well as we ourselves (India itself) don't do well at this and we only watch international footballers. So in that sense it seems to be an attempt in taking the TATA brand up a notch in terms of prestige or premium feel associated with it. Maybe Messi is also associated with reliability and hence..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
I don't see whats wrong in that!

Case in point Tata Hexa.

Hexa launched by Messi - now that would be really cool and would make people notice. I think it would be disruptive- people will be forced to look at Hexa.

Compare it with the usual launch ceremony. Perhaps Karthikeyan comes. No one is going to take note.
Agree on the Karthikeyan bit, but then Lewis maybe ... . The thing though is that once Tata uses Messi for the Kite then it doesn't really work the same with the HEXA they would need a bigger name for a bigger product. Especially if the person brand rubs off on the vehicle brand "Kite" rather than the company brand "TATA". Kite and HEXA both can't have the same strategy.

A good move overall, lets see. Their products definitely have improved significantly and in my view their service was always good but perceived poor due to the vehicle issues rather than the other way round.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 21:44   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I am surprised ! The bosses at TML seem to think that Messi can score a goal or two for them. I dont really remember TML every using a celebrity for advertising, and if Messi is coming in then this approach comes to an end. Not using any celebrities had helped TML avoid expense on this front - unlike Hyundai who have spent on SRK.

Frankly, TML's problems are not in brand awareness - not something that a Messi can sovle. So I dont think Messi can help much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamiboy View Post
Exactly my point. If there is no product worth showing off, no celebrities can help. Instead of hiring Messi, they should have hired some world class designers for improving their products. The existing cars won't do. Messi or not. I'm disappointed with Tata. I sure hope they do better in future.
Absolutely! I wonder what it is that prevents the TATAs from making something that s on par with the hyundais and hondas.
Better to get your product shipshape than to hire a convincer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
With the kind of cars they have, they should have signed up Nana Patekar instead of Messi Imagine Nana promoting Nano
haaahhhahhahaa!
dont agree with that but tooo funny
famousshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2015, 10:36   #27
Senior - BHPian

Though a daring move, I do not think this will actually help the brand any which ways. My simple submissions are below:
  • Zest, Bolt and the upcoming Kite may be good cars as per the Indian parlance. However, if the plan is for the EU, the Tata cars do not hold a candle against the competition.
  • The Sub 4 mtrs "pseudo" sedan is a no no in EU. Hence, Zest may not find any takers in the larger scheme of things
  • Messi has immense following in EU but India has limited followers and will be hence restricted to the uber urbane locations only.
  • Brand positioning of a Nano with a Messi on board gives out contrasting signals. You position the Nano as a mass car and sign on Messi(whose appeal can best be termed as niche, again restricted to urban India).
  • The strategy of a Micromax mobile with an average purchase price of Rs. 12K (considering the higher end smart phones only) vs a Tata car cannot be the same. Hugh Jackman is relatively unknown in India and honestly, people do not even matter who endorses which mobile as it is relatively cheap to buy and change. Not the case with a car brand though. Small factors like brand ambassadors do have some effect. Remember SRK in the Santro early days. It did have an effect. This is where Messi may miss out as people may not relate.
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2015, 18:11   #28
Senior - BHPian

No Tata, no. Big NO. Unless and untill you improve your own A.S.S., things will not change. Now you have done half job by creating better cars than earlier like new Nano, Safari Storme, Zest, Bolt etc. Coming cars also looks impressive. But the end customer, who is actually buying the car with his hard earned money, has to deal with your showroom guys & gets terrible experience. You need to learn from Maruti and Hyundai here. They are very professional in this & wins many cutomer by their excellent showroom experience which user gets. In Tata showroom, many times customer gets frustrated & thinks why i came here at first place? So better do some work on these things first. No brand Ambassador will be able to bring sales otherwise. Make sure your cars do advertise for you. Your showroom guys do advertise for you. You will get much better sales numbers by doing that instead of paying crores of rupees to Messi. Just my thoughts!
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2015, 07:13   #29
BHPian

My initial thoughts are it is a good idea/example of the Marketing team at Tata thinking out of the box...if they couple this with other good Marketing plans.

e.g. In many parts of Kerala, Messi is very popular (we remember the frenzy and the posters during the last world cup). And Kerala is a very important market for Tata's diesel cars. And Tata Motors have been losing out heavily to competition in recent times. Stands to reason.
manij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2015, 09:04   #30
BHPian

Cant imagine Messi drives to his football matches in TATA Nano while his teammates come is exotics. Poor messi would get messed up.
lillios is offline   Reply With Quote