Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 26th January 2016, 13:39   #256
BHPian

Default Re: Spotted! VW Polo GTI with 1.8L TSI engine

Won't Punto Abarth become a higher VFM product @~12 lakhs OTR with a 8.8 sec 0-100 and the tank like build quality?
Who all are with me? At least I won't buy a GTI Polo and rather go for the Abarth. Golf GTI would have been an altogether different story.
sadnabrina is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2016, 15:02   #257
BHPian

Unless the cars are on the track, their specs difference won't matter much given our road conditions et al ...Also not forgetting the extra 2 doors in punto and famed ride and handling prowess.
printh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2016, 16:35   #258
BHPian

If I was the guy, part of the Product planning team, I would have highly recommended launching the Golf GTI, instead of the regular Polo. Reason being the CBU, when you know that the price is going to be high, why not giving something that is already appreciated and doesn't exist in the market. I doubt if the price difference between the Polo and Golf would be too high. Need some help with that or I can ask Google.
Old 26th January 2016, 17:09   #259
mxh
BHPian

Since it is anyway a CBU, they should have launched a different hot hatch. I understand with the power increase many components would need to be changed internally. But 20 lacs for a sub 4m Polo is just not worth it, unless the performance is really exemplary like 4-5 sec 0-100 sprint. And full body kit, racing tyres, suspension work, sport exhaust, exclusive colours which would make it worth the premium. Without these things it will just be a dud in sales and might even affect the TSI sales since that will no longer be the premium Polo.
Old 26th January 2016, 17:18   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Archer84 View Post
If I was the guy, part of the Product planning team, I would have highly recommended launching the Golf GTI, instead of the regular Polo. Reason being the CBU, when you know that the price is going to be high, why not giving something that is already appreciated and doesn't exist in the market. I doubt if the price difference between the Polo and Golf would be too high. Need some help with that or I can ask Google.
I did google it for you and found the Malaysian price list.

Image source: http://www.motortrader.com.my/news/l...s-in-malaysia/

The Golf GTI costs 50000 RM i.e about 793000 rupees more than Polo GTI. The price list is from 2013.
Attached Thumbnails
Spotted! VW Polo GTI with 1.8L TSI engine-1453808855878.jpg  

Ketan T is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2016, 17:21   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
Mini cooper S comes around 31 lacs ex-showroom (I am not sure about whether it has increased) and they also claim 6.7 seconds from 0 - 100. If they price the GTI above 20 lacs (ex showroom), people who plonk money on a GTI will definitely think about the Mini Cooper, which is an exclusive one when compared to the Polo, which we see every now and then in road.
The Mini Cooper S will come to about Rs 48 Lacs on Road Bangalore when you buy all the nice yummy options.

The cheapest possible trim itself will hit 40 Lacs.

(I evaluated this because Im mad about Mini but sadly I am nowhere close to being able to afford such a car in India.)

At the current usurious rates of taxes and of course all the add on costs in India, it is actually far more sensible to consider buying a car of the level of a Mini Cooper and similar, in the used car market - for example there is one 3 door example sitting there right now, in S Trim, with about 13000kms on the clock, at about 31 lacs.

Still, if you look at 31 lacs (used car price), it comes to about 30000 GBP or perhaps about 42000 USD and these cars don't quite cost that much in the UK or the US even when brand new. So it is really not a sensible proposition in India. Except of course for either "passion" value or "snob" value, provided of course, you have that kind of cash lying about!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 26th January 2016 at 17:26.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 11:18   #262
BHPian

I know that people here hoping to pick the Golf GTI over the Polo GTI. There's no Polo in the American market, so I checked the Australian market and here are the prices.

Polo GTI 1.8TSI 189HP - Aus$ 31,500
Golf GTI 2.0TSI 217HP - Aus$ 45,900

When converted to Indian currency, there's a price difference of Rs. 7Lakhs on the converted prices, add to that, the duties and taxes.

The Polo GTI expected to be 20-25Lakhs here, Golf will be no less than 30-35Lakhs in the Indian market. The price difference would be quite steep. May be it would be logical for them to bring the Golf here, doesn't mean they shouldn't be launching the Polo GTI too.
sweetvar26 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 13:31   #263
BHPian

I know what my next car would be.This is it.Always wanted a real hot hatch and here we have it.I have other cars for practical purposes.As a daily driver it would be just perfect for the insane Bangalore traffic.At last I dont need to buy a big car to get the sort of power on delivery on offer here.
Ascari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 15:57   #264
BHPian

This would be a perfect car for a celebrity who wants to hide in the crowd.

On a serious note, VW seems to believe that since Polo is the only car they could sell they should just add more to it and keep making it more expensive. I am thinking we would see Polo SUV and Polo convertible too.
shobhit.shri is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 16:32   #265
BHPian

I strongly believe this TBHP discussion forum on Polo GTI is capturing the average enthusiast sentiment. VW will have all the tools in this world to analyse these comments and make a note of the polarities that might reside in the mind of a potential future consumer. Even with no access to such tools, reading through these comments, we are witnessing a lot of folks switched off about the price.

Now a days, cost of 'computing power' is a fraction of what it used to be even five years ago. Companies have access to a lot of data and have no excuse to launch failed products which are not aligned to consumer needs. I think VW should not rush the product into the market through CBU route. Could they possibly reduce the price of Polo GTI (even in its 5 door avatar) when they develop local production capability? I don't think so.

Last edited by bhaskaracs : 27th January 2016 at 16:34.
bhaskaracs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 17:07   #266
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I've read sometime last year that the Polo 3-door in general is not much in demand over Europe (compared to the 5 door model), and with the next generation VW may completely ditch the 3-door option. The decision to launch the 3-door option in India maybe a way to clear off the existing kit and give way to the next generation. Even if a few units are sold, it's still good business for VAG.
That's an interesting bit of info. Maybe they can look to price it less than what they normally would have.

This is also something that self drive companies like Zoom may be interested in. It may be too overpriced to buy, but plenty of people (including me) who would not mind paying a little extra to take a spin in this hot hatch.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 19:26   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetvar26 View Post
I know that people here hoping to pick the Golf GTI over the Polo GTI. There's no Polo in the American market, so I checked the Australian market and here are the prices.

Polo GTI 1.8TSI 189HP - Aus$ 31,500
Golf GTI 2.0TSI 217HP - Aus$ 45,900

When converted to Indian currency, there's a price difference of Rs. 7Lakhs on the converted prices, add to that, the duties and taxes.

The Polo GTI expected to be 20-25Lakhs here, Golf will be no less than 30-35Lakhs in the Indian market. The price difference would be quite steep. May be it would be logical for them to bring the Golf here, doesn't mean they shouldn't be launching the Polo GTI too.

If they do launch both at the typical pricing that these guys employ in India, then the poorer folks will buy the Polo and the richer folks will go for the Golf. Either way, the main motivation will be "passion" and not much else...
Old 28th January 2016, 12:21   #268
BHPian

Volkswagen India confirmed that the car will be showcased at the Auto Show. Also confirmed that it will be a full CBU when launched in India later this year with both Manual and Automatic variant.

So both good and bad news here.

Quote:
VW India today confirmed that it will showcase the VW Polo GTI at the Auto Expo 2016, which starts for the media on February 3, 2016 in Greater Noida. The car maker confirmed that the three-door version of the Polo GTI will be shown at the biennial event.

The VW Polo GTI is due to be launched in India towards September 2016. According to a report, VW India will initially launch the three-door version of the Polo GTI as a full import (CBU), with prices expected around INR 20 lakhs, ex-Showroom.

Powering the VW Polo GTI will be the 1.8-liter TSI four-cylinder engine capable of 192 PS and 320 Nm of torque. VW India confirms in its statement that both manual (6-speed MT) and automatic (7-speed DSG) gearboxes will be offered. VW claims the Polo GTI can accelerate from 0-100 km/h in 6.7 seconds and hit a top-speed of 236 km/h. It is also optionally available with a Sport Select system that allows the driver to adjust the dampers.

On the cosmetic side, the VW Polo GTI gets LED headlights with integrated LED daytime running lights, a GTI honeycomb grille, aggressive front and rear bumpers with a diffuser element and twin exhaust outlets, larger alloy wheels, tartan interior upholstery, GTI three-spoke steering wheel with contrast red stitching.
That manual transmission is going to be yummy! Probably one of the high powered manual cars you can buy in India this year, sweet stuff.

Last edited by sweetvar26 : 28th January 2016 at 12:41.
sweetvar26 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th January 2016, 12:36   #269
Senior - BHPian

It has now been officially confirmed that the German automaker will present the 3-door performance hatch at the 2016 Delhi Auto Expo, with the reveal taking place on February 4.

The Polo GTI gets a 1.8L, TSI petrol engine that makes 189 BHP. Volkswagen has stated that the car will be available with a manual gearbox (6-speed) as well as a DSG option (7-speed).

Link to Team-BHP news article
Tushar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2016, 13:56   #270
Distinguished - BHPian

Good to see an official confirmation.That is sweet. Both Manual and AT.

I cannot buy it, but hoping that the self drive rentals like Zoom bring it in like they have the Merc and BMW options today.

I think its a good decision to bring in the 3 door. Will serve to easily distinguish from the wannabe GTI's modified from regular Polo's.
Closed Thread