Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 28th January 2016, 14:48   #271
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Spotted! VW Polo GTI with 1.8L TSI engine

I would have happily picked one up at around 15L ex-showroom, but at 20L +, with only the 3 door available - there are a host of more practical pre-owned options I can think of that will be as involving to drive.
Hint: Pre-owned Laura's for those who want to play with the engine - bigger turbos, etc.
or Pre-owned 320D for those who want a fast practical daily.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 28th January 2016 at 14:50. Reason: Quoted post deleted.
Old 28th January 2016, 14:56   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
It has now been officially confirmed that the German automaker will present the 3-door performance hatch at the 2016 Delhi Auto Expo, with the reveal taking place on February 4.

Link to Team-BHP news article
Seriously 3 door? Aren't they interested in selling any GTis in India?

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 28th January 2016, 15:09   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Seriously 3 door? Aren't they interested in selling any GTis in India?
Volkswagen is evidently trying to place it close to the Cooper S and 595 Competizione. A 3-door would make it more distinctive from the GT twins which will be considerably more affordable than the GTI.

Considering how this won't be offered for volumes, the 3-door actually makes sense to me. Even VW says this is a car for someone who already has a 4/5 door in his/her garage. Plus, I'm pretty sure this will come with adequate kit from the start, rather than having to cough up the big bucks and then sell a kidney to add the optional extras .

Last edited by Tushar : 28th January 2016 at 15:11.
Old 28th January 2016, 20:42   #274
BHPian

Sad news!

The Polo GTI will only come with 7-speed DSG gearbox. The manual gearbox wouldn't be offered. There was a goof up in the official mail sent by them

The updated press release.
Name:  VW Press Release.png
Views: 1920
Size:  93.0 KB
amansanc is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2016, 21:47   #275
BHPian

Happy to see that VW seems very confident about 7 speed DSG.
If it can work for 1.8 TSI, it can easily take the load from 1.2 TSI.
Old 29th January 2016, 07:34   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
Sad news!

The Polo GTI will only come with 7-speed DSG gearbox. The manual gearbox wouldn't be offered. There was a goof up in the official mail sent by them

[/ATTACH]
Oh no, got too excited for the manual yesterday morning. When releasing as a CBU, what difference would or make for them to offer both?
Old 29th January 2016, 08:45   #277
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetvar26 View Post
Oh no, got too excited for the manual yesterday morning. When releasing as a CBU, what difference would or make for them to offer both?
Being less that 3 litres and less than $30000 be fore duties, two versions would need to pass through the homologation requirements
Old 30th January 2016, 10:00   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Being less that 3 litres and less than $30000 be fore duties, two versions would need to pass through the homologation requirements
Ah okay! It makes sense now. Got me wondering why wouldn't they launch both versions as CBU's.
Old 30th January 2016, 17:20   #279
BHPian

And the ACI Review pours in:
Crazy_Bean is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th January 2016, 18:40   #280
BHPian

20L+ and 3 doors....practicality out of the windows goes against the GTi mantra....:(
Old 30th January 2016, 19:36   #281
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
And the ACI Review pours in
20 lac+ enthusiast car with a poor steering feel. Looks like the Abarth is still the choice for the true enthusiast. If only Fiat could fix their after sale issues, and offer some colours without stripes!

Last edited by ampere : 31st January 2016 at 00:05. Reason: Removed video link from quoted post
mxh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2016, 23:37   #282
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitc7 View Post
20L+ and 3 doors....practicality out of the windows goes against the GTi mantra....:(
3 doors is, actually, quite practical for the single driver or young couple. Hey, It would be ok for the not so young couple such as my wife and I, if we could afford such a car, which we certainly can't.

A car like this is not aimed at the transport of elderly aunts and uncles. It is not even aimed at the carrying of babies! But, maybe India has to get over two-door prejudice. It's perfectly possible; it got over hatch-back prejudice quite quickly!

I have driven several two-door cars. It is not the same as just taking the back doors away: it is designed around having only two doors, and one can both get in and out, and take things in and out, of the the back seat with only a very small difference in ease. And, if it is a lot of things... it's a hatchback. Fold down the seats and you can get a moderate-sized fridge in there.

If I had 20 Lakh to spend and hadn't come to regard VW as a throw-your-car-away-if-it-gets-flooded company, I would be seriously interested in this car!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th January 2016, 23:57   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
3 doors is, actually, quite practical for the single driver or young couple. Hey, It would be ok for the not so young couple such as my wife and I, if we could afford such a car, which we certainly can't.

A car like this is not aimed at the transport of elderly aunts and uncles. It is not even aimed at the carrying of babies! But, maybe India has to get over two-door prejudice. It's perfectly possible; it got over hatch-back prejudice quite quickly!

I have driven several two-door cars. It is not the same as just taking the back doors away: it is designed around having only two doors, and one can both get in and out, and take things in and out, of the the back seat with only a very small difference in ease. And, if it is a lot of things... it's a hatchback. Fold down the seats and you can get a moderate-sized fridge in there.

If I had 20 Lakh to spend and hadn't come to regard VW as a throw-your-car-away-if-it-gets-flooded company, I would be seriously interested in this car!
Brother I have spent years (8+8) in the sea of Golf GTi's in England and Egypt.
You with all respects are a Audi TT or a Boxter/Cayman customer by your requirements.

Let me share the GTi mantra from the views of a GTi user. Should be humongous fun to drive and bother sports cars like a happy puppy, yet take my kids or granny to the school or shops safely. Should go rings around a roadster, let deliver me in my suit to the meetings.

Should be ultra fast, yet return a decent mileage. Must be able to drive for 16 hrs to reach Nuremberg and then blitz like a loon the next day.

That what the GTi is all about, it's practical and yet fun. 3 doors or 5 doors thats a personal choice, I have a badly damaged knee and a bad back so a 5 door is easier to pop stuff in

In the end for 20L i deserve a Golf, a Polo should never cross 15L

Mod Note: Please avoid typing like... this...

Last edited by ampere : 31st January 2016 at 00:07.
amitc7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2016, 00:05   #284
BHPian

Now this is what the GTI will do to you

Name:  Screenshot_201601302358161.png
Views: 930
Size:  274.5 KB

The GTI might be priced insanely but the grin when you drive a hot hatch is priceless. I'm hoping the car rental companies to offer the GTI so that many can get to drive and experience

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 31st January 2016 at 00:09.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2016, 01:01   #285
BHPian

Sad review, he wasn't really pushing the car at all :(
We need better test drivers...

It's a bit of a bummer that we don't get the champion hot hatch, the fiesta st. Let's hope they don't mess up the pricing too badly.
Diesel_convert is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread