Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Would you pay for a satisfactory test drive
Yes! 120 33.15%
Test drives are free! No way! 242 66.85%
Voters: 362. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1st July 2016, 21:33   #91
BHPian

Default Re: Pathetic Experience At Maruti Suzuki Bhandari Automobile Dealership - Kolkata

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post
I am extremely disappointed with the dealership and have decided not to take a look at Vitara Brezza or Ciaz and instead replace my current City with an Ecosport, Vento or a City i-vtec again.
Don't judge the manufacturer by its dealer. When a car is hot, dealers tend to think they are Gods.

I had the exact same experience when the current gen Honda City was launched and was in super demand. I could still get my way because I was able to form a group and book 5 cars together along with a "contact" in the dealer's leadership.

Today the same Honda fellows who are facing the heat from the Ciaz would probably bend over as much as you want!

Brezza is H-O-T at the moment and hence this treatment. Try the Wagon-R and then test the treatment
avdhesh15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2016, 23:51   #92
BHPian

Default Re: Would you pay for a longer duration test-drive?

I would pay, under the condition that the entire amount is reimbursed if i buy the vehicle. Even if i don't buy the car, the feedback from extended test drive would help much in making the right choice.

Perhaps Carwale or Cardekho could start such a service and charge the manufacturer for it.

Last edited by vivekgk : 1st July 2016 at 23:52.
vivekgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2016, 00:10   #93
Senior - BHPian

Very interesting thread! Yes, I wouldn't mind paying at all for a longer test drive. In fact, I would love to. Because that would free me up from any obligation to buy the car. And, I wouldn't be branded as just a window shopper.

I know test drives are free but how much of it is granted gratis? A drive, to assess a car and to discover its merits and shortcomings is not same for one and all. Some get all their answers in a 3 km drive while others may not even in a 10 km drive. Added to that , traffic condition, road / terrain condition also makes all the difference. So, yes, I wouldn't mind paying at all.
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2016, 00:15   #94
BHPian

Default Re: Pathetic Experience At Maruti Suzuki Bhandari Automobile Dealership - Kolkata

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Forget this dealer, look for another Maruti dealer(there are many around) and go check out the Ciaz/Brezza. If you want to be chauffeur driven in the city, check out the Jazz.
I already drive a 2010 Honda Jazz 1.2 Mode, it hasn't clocked much and is running absolutely fine. Another Jazz in the garage doesn't make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Drop a note to Maruti with these details. I guarantee they take action against idiots like them. As for yourself, find another dealer. It's Maruti after all, so I'm sure your city has plenty.
Yes! I too thought about the same and have mailed Maruti Suzuki India today. Hope to get a revert back soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
Don't judge the manufacturer by its dealer. When a car is hot, dealers tend to think they are Gods.

I had the exact same experience when the current gen Honda City was launched and was in super demand. I could still get my way because I was able to form a group and book 5 cars together along with a "contact" in the dealer's leadership.

Today the same Honda fellows who are facing the heat from the Ciaz would probably bend over as much as you want!

Brezza is H-O-T at the moment and hence this treatment. Try the Wagon-R and then test the treatment
Absolutely true! I don't want to sound biased or anything but my experience with MS Dealers and Nexa in Kolkata has always been bitter be it anyone.

Recently, when the Baleno was launched we went to book the S-Cross for gifting it to my elder sister on her wedding and well my elder brother ended up slapping the Sales Executive due to their actions.

As I have said earlier, except the Swift's test drive, I haven't received a single proper test drive of any MS vehicle. Even if I somehow get a decent dealership experience, they ruin it during the purchase.

Though as I have registered a formal complaint at Maruti Suzuki India itself, expecting some good news regarding it and by the time checking out other vehicles shortlisted.
YashD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2016, 01:59   #95
BHPian

I've had mixed experiences so far at test drives. The recent one with the Polo TSI was pretty nice and I was offered longish test drives explaining every bit of the vehicle, it's controls, features, what it can do and how the DSG box works etc.
On the other hand, since I was considering automatics, I called up a nexa for a Baleno test drive and the SA plainly replied that they don't send vehicles anywhere and if I wanted a TD, I would have to visit the dealership.
Another TD I took recently for a friend of mine for the S Cross went really well. Similar to the Polo.
I think paying for longer test drives would make sense only if it is like the Merc which was made available for more than half a day.. Other than that, it doesn't make sense. At least to me...
adneeraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2016, 15:10   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post
Recently, when the Baleno was launched we went to book the S-Cross for gifting it to my elder sister on her wedding and well my elder brother ended up slapping the Sales Executive due to their actions.
Dude... that sounds crazy ! Would be interesting to hear about this experience on the NEXA thread here (Maruti opens NEXA dealerships for premium cars).

OT: now I understand your reason for your post on the monthly sales thread
avdhesh15 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2016, 11:45   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
That left me wondering if it makes more sense to pay for 6/12/24 hour test drive? That way its a win-win, the dealer can maintain his car, owner gets a real feel of the car before the purchase decision.
Seems someone has thought about the scope of this opportunity and provided a service, but its in Australia.

Subaru Innovates With Drivemycar.com.au
Wed, 12/10/2016
Subaru Australia has partnered with innovative “peer-to-peer” car rental platform DriveMyCar to give customers the opportunity to experience the new All-Wheel Drive Levorg wagon.

Using 10 turbocharged Levorgs, Subaru has partnered with DriveMyCar.com.au to promote the Subaru brand and its cars, via the fast-growing online platform.

With seven Levorgs available in the Sydney market and three in Brisbane, Subaru is helping pioneer the newest development in car rental.

DriveMyCar.com.au, which is owned by Collaborate Corporation Limited, enables people and companies access to a wider range of vehicles not normally available from traditional car rental companies.

Subaru is the first passenger car company to operate the program with DriveMyCar.

Subaru Managing Director, Colin Christie, said: “This initiative is in line with our Subaru ‘do’ customer promise, to explore different and innovate ways of meeting their needs.

“It’s a great way to promote both the Subaru brand and – initially- the Levorg.

“There’s every chance we could expand it to other models, with the vehicles then returning to our Subaru used vehicle stock after a certain period, providing an additional pool for our dealer network, where demand is huge for used.”

DriveMyCar.com.au uses its proprietary PeerPass® verification platform to ensure customer trust, by managing identity verification, insurance, credit checks, payments and feedback – maximising the potential for safe and efficient transactions.

DriveMyCar provides the platform that enables Subaru to provide “try before you buy” experiences to its potential customers.

Approved users can search for cars located nearby, for added convenience and vehicles can be booked for any period –from seven to 365 days.

All rentals include insurance - including damage and theft - and roadside assistance.

Convenient collection times can be arranged, where an inspection report is completed and the renter then drives away.

Link
kiku007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2016, 11:53   #98
BHPian

Usually, the dealers budge for a free and long test drive if they come across a genuinely interested prospective customer. But, still the test drives are restricted to a max. of 2-3 hours, beyond which the SA's grumble on releasing the vehicle for further test-drives by other customers. Instead of longer test drives, they insist on multiple test drives if need be.

As mentioned earlier, another practice observed recently, is to take the prospective car on rent(if available) from ZoomCar,Revv,Myles etc. and retain it for a couple of days. Driving in various conditions would help in evaluating and strengthening the decision further. That way, one would be sure on not choosing the wrong car.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 27th October 2016 at 12:00.
jetsetgo08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2016, 12:00   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Another practice observed recently, is to take the prospective car on rent(if available) from ZoomCar,Revv,Myles etc. and retain it for a couple of days. Driving in various conditions would help in evaluating and strengthening the decision further. That way, one would be sure on not choosing the wrong car.
That's a bad idea! Rental cars are usually abused and would most probably give a very bad impression about a given vehicle.
My cousin's had a very bad experience with a Swift. The result? It was never shortlisted for their next purchase!
Turbohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2016, 12:11   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
That's a bad idea! Rental cars are usually abused and would most probably give a very bad impression about a given vehicle.
My cousin's had a very bad experience with a Swift. The result? It was never shortlisted for their next purchase!
+1. But, there are two sides of the coin, for this practice.

1. One may dislike the car, for ageing rapidly upon abuse. But, if one is lucky, he might end up with a relatively new and well-maintained car.
2. Some know in prior that the vehicles would be abused and would satiate themselves with the fact that the car could withstand abuse with no significant or critical issues observed.
jetsetgo08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2016, 12:38   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
I might be digressing, but there is something cultural in the way we deal with public property (or property that we dont 'own') My experience with rental cars both in EU and US have been very different. Cars that have over 50-80K miles are in superb conditions. On the other hand, I saw a GLA merc from Zoom which had done 18K and it was in a sad, very sad state and that is generally true with most of the zoom cars. I guess the market will mature for services such as this one.
kvish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2016, 13:09   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
I might be digressing, but there is something cultural in the way we deal with public property (or property that we dont 'own') My experience with rental cars both in EU and US have been very different. Cars that have over 50-80K miles are in superb conditions. On the other hand, I saw a GLA merc from Zoom which had done 18K and it was in a sad, very sad state and that is generally true with most of the zoom cars. I guess the market will mature for services such as this one.
Exactly! Hence the answer assuming the context is about the Indian car market. But in the more mature markets, I assume they will give longer test drives( assumption). But if you want it for a few days, it's a logical thing to actually pay for such an option.
Turbohead is offline   Reply With Quote