Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 17th October 2015, 22:45   #496
BHPian

Default re: A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
So from the brochure, it is finalized that matte grey isn't available. What a shame! They just gave other manufacturers an idea to use it on one of their upcoming vehicles.
Well the manufacturers do have cars all around the globe to take "inspiration" from . I think the grey will be a surprise from the surprise package, or will be launched later as some "grey stinger" edition or something. I hope I am right!

Last edited by shree_shell : 17th October 2015 at 22:53. Reason: Construction
shree_shell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2015, 23:29   #497
BHPian

Default re: A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!

Well i had a chance of test driving the Abarth Punto here in Delhi. And trust me on this, this car is fast !

The way the car takes off is fantastic. I had a great time though the test drive was pretty short and the car was not registered so couldnt take it for a long spin. Interested people can go to kashyap Ohkla and take a test drive. And yeah, the engine sounds brilliant near the redline

Last edited by aditya.bhardwaj : 17th October 2015 at 23:29. Reason: grammer !
aditya.bhardwaj is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th October 2015, 01:20   #498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
Well i had a chance of test driving the Abarth Punto here in Delhi. And trust me on this, this car is fast !

The way the car takes off is fantastic. I had a great time though the test drive was pretty short and the car was not registered so couldnt take it for a long spin. Interested people can go to kashyap Ohkla and take a test drive. And yeah, the engine sounds brilliant near the redline
My question now is... how many owners will have the patience to Burn In the new engine? More pertinently, does it even require such a burn in (I remember some thread mentioning for first 5k km drive less than 2.5k rpm)
Will it hurt the engine if it's revved for all it's worth as soon as the new owner drives it off the showroom?

[I know i'm getting ahead of myself, but conjecture is all we have till it's launched]
Old 18th October 2015, 01:33   #499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post

What did you feel about the gearbox? Is it improved over the punto?
Old 18th October 2015, 07:04   #500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Looks like some kid with really bad grammar made a powerpoint presentation, slapped on some watermarks for free publicity. I don't consider this as a credible source at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Saw these pictures on Facebook. At the risk of getting flamed for 'bashing' Fiat, I'm going to come out and say it..

This looks like the efforts of a 12 year old who had about 20 minutes with Microsoft PowerPoint to come up with something for the dealers. It does not seem credible, but then again the newspaper / billboard advertisements also look like rudimentary hotch-potch jobs. (Sorry)

If these slides are in fact legit, it's rather disappointing to see that they have given the matt grey colour option a miss. And I am also surprised to see that there is no red option. Wonder why that is..
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
With the change in management, I was hoping for better from FIAT. If this is all they can come up with, then I only have one word for them - PATHETIC
Quote:
In that case, they have no business being on public fora. In the quest to be the first to leak info. are the fora doing severe damage to the brand they purport to love?
Quote:
No one is against FIAT. I presently own my second FIAT. That said, a presentation like what has been shared here is just so pathetic. Just because I own and like a FIAT car, that doesn't mean I will turn a blind eye to such a childish effort.

So are all the naysayers of the initial product presentation happy now! I think Fiat have pulled off another great brochure. I especially like their headline about the steering wheel. It's not only unique and innovative but it's very practical and points towards the car's attitude.
firstguri is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 18th October 2015, 07:31   #501
BHPian

Quote:

So are all the naysayers of the initial product presentation happy now! I think Fiat have pulled off another great brochure. I especially like their headline about the steering wheel. It's not only unique and innovative but it's very practical and points towards the car's attitude.
Have to doff my hat to Fiat. Well done, some of the most interesting Indian car ad's in a long time.
Old 18th October 2015, 10:15   #502
Distinguished - BHPian

Adding a couple of more interior photos that did not go through when I uploaded yesterday since I was uploading from my mobile.

I did spend some time sitting inside and fiddling with the gearshift and other controls. Since I am not familiar with the interior of a regular Punto, apart from the obvious things, could not identify any small and significant differences.

Plenty of interest in the car. Several folks were spending time inside and outside it. The 'Express Interest' sheet had plenty of entries. It also had an 'Age' column.

I was also wondering why the display at Elements Mall. This is not one of the major malls in Bangalore and is also a little out of the way. Then got the connection, This mall is right next to Manyata Tech Park which is one of the biggest Tech Park's in Bangalore housing several big names. Potentially an area with the biggest concentration of a young 'Techie' crowd with enough candidates willing to spend 11 L on a hatchback. One of the places where the weekday crowd will also be pretty good. Just a guess.

Overall nice marketing tag lines and I think they have a sound strategy to promote the car. It will of course, still be a niche product, but Fiat may hope to be pleasantly surprised with the sales. Like VW was with the GT TSI.

A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!-puntoabarth1.jpg

A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!-puntoabarth2.jpg

A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!-puntoabarth3.jpg

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 18th October 2015 at 10:17. Reason: Formatting and typos
Rajeevraj is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 18th October 2015, 13:57   #503
Senior - BHPian

Awesome! Love the ADs and the taglines and hash tags. So happy to see some drool stuff from Fiat marketing.

The car looks smashing in black, but where that that red slat of the front grill? That was a very good looking cosmetic change and I am sad to see that it is omitted - but all these are inconsequential. Cant wait for the launch tomorrow and I hope we get to read a road test from Team-Bhp soon.

--Anoop
Old 18th October 2015, 14:02   #504
BHPian

This car is the game changer Fiat should have had all along. None of its competition come anywhere close to it in terms of raw power. In fact, to come anywhere close to its power output, you have to go all the way up to the D1 segment. This coupled with the fact that this is rated ~2kmpl higher than than the regular Punto Evo FIRE 1.4 and almost at Polo TSI levels, should help it get more mass market appeal.

The only thing which remains to be seen is the pricing and I get the feeling that it will be priced at a ~1.5 lac premium over the Punto Evo Emotion 1.4 FIRE which is not too shabby in terms of equipment offered in comparison to the Abarth. This premium is slightly higher than what Fiat charges for the Linea TJet over the Fire (~1.1 lac). If they stick to charging this 1.5lac premium, the final price of 8.7-8.9lac Ex Showroom Delhi will be only slightly higher than the Avventura MJD 90hp and the Polo GT Twins.

In my eyes, the Abarth Punto Evo will be MASSIVELY VFM if priced within the aforementioned range and should get the attention and footfalls they had always been looking for. This could also help them boost sales for the existing Linea.

This is me hoping there is no major screw up on the pricing front and also that I can somehow fit this one into my extremely limited budget. Here's hoping for the best.
antz.bin is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th October 2015, 15:21   #505

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstguri View Post

Has anyone even noticed that in the brochure the car's rear tyres are smoking and abarth punto is a FWD
Shouldn't this be corrected by Fiat!
Maxthrottle is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th October 2015, 17:03   #506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
Has anyone even noticed that in the brochure the car's rear tyres are smoking and abarth punto is a FWD
Those were exactly my thoughts initially, but then you can smoke rear wheels by pulling handbrake, which seems more likely in that pic since the smoke curve is very steep. The tail moves along that smoke curve and then results in car facing that way as seen in the pic.

So this seems more of a skid than a drift! Even if its not a skid, one can drift in a Front Wheel Drive by turning hard and pulling the handbrake and working out the steering and maintaining the momentum through the curve, the cars needs raw power here to drag that out of place rear. So this is quite possible

ABARTH is no greenhorn!
shree_shell is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2015, 17:50   #507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
The second thing I noticed after the tagline was the smoke coming from the rear. It's all a photoshoped exercise actually. Everybody will know that. However, if questioned then Fiat will reply, I'm sure, that the car is in a tailslide and hence the rear tyres are smoking.

Anyway it's about the car in essence and not which tyres are smoking.
Old 18th October 2015, 18:09   #508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post

I was also wondering why the display at Elements Mall. This is not one of the major malls in Bangalore and is also a little out of the way. Then got the connection, This mall is right next to Manyata Tech Park which is one of the biggest Tech Park's in Bangalore housing several big names. Potentially an area with the biggest concentration of a young 'Techie' crowd with enough candidates willing to spend 11 L on a hatchback. One of the places where the weekday crowd will also be pretty good. Just a guess.

Overall nice marketing tag lines and I think they have a sound strategy to promote the car. It will of course, still be a niche product, but Fiat may hope to be pleasantly surprised with the sales. Like VW was with the GT TSI.

[/center]
I don't think manyata tech park connection works too well, I work in Manyta tech park and did not feel like going back to nearby's of work on a weekend. An sentiment many will echo. If they really wanted to target the crowd in our office they should come to campus itself, we always have one or other car dealer in office.

That aside does Abarth in international market come in Auto Variant.
Old 18th October 2015, 18:15   #509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstguri View Post
The second thing I noticed after the tagline was the smoke coming from the rear. It's all a photoshoped exercise actually. Everybody will know that. However, if questioned then Fiat will reply, I'm sure, that the car is in a tailslide and hence the rear tyres are smoking.

Anyway it's about the car in essence and not which tyres are smoking.
Maybe they can say it's leftover smoke from one of VW's non polluting diesels (hope this is taken in the right spirit)
keroo1099 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2015, 19:12   #510

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post

That aside does Abarth in international market come in Auto Variant.
I secretly wished they gave one auto variant also as option. I am waiting for my Polo GT tsi to be delivered and would have gone for Abarth if given in auto transmission. As I seriously suffer left knee pain after travelling in B2B traffic in Bangalore everyday.

Its not that automatic is better, but if I can get at least 80% of Abarth's performance with a happy left knee, I will take it any day.
Closed Thread